Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub Competitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

SEORG wrote: »
    Incorrect, for GUI cups & shields you need four qualifying returned card in the previous calendar year.
    They don’t have to be from your home club.

Look up cups and shields tournament conditions, I can't attach here and it clearly states 4 qualifying at home club,

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Look up cups and shields tournament conditions, I can't attach here and it clearly states 4 qualifying at home club,

Here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Here it is

The rounds have to be recorded on your handicap record at your home club, the rounds dont need to be played on your home course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

From the tournament conditions book ::

11. In order to be eligible to compete in the AIG Junior Cup, Jimmy Bruen, Pierce Purcell, Irish Mixed Foursomes,
    Connacht Shield, Jack O’Sullivan, GUI All-Ireland Four-Ball Inter-Club Championship, Nine Hole Course Inter Club and
    Seniors Inter Club, a Player shall have, in the previous Calendar Year prior to the event, returned a minimum of four
    Cards in Qualifying competitions, all of which must be recorded on the handicap Records of the Players Home Club on
    or before December 31st in the year immediately preceding the year of the Event.
    Note: If a Player changes his Home Club during the previous calendar year, it is his responsibility to produce
    evidence of having competed in a minimum of four qualifying competitions.

There's definitely some ambiguity though. Does a score recorded away from home but reported on your handicap report count.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My pony is slow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Nowhere does it clearly state that.
    All the rule says is u must have 4 qualifying comps on your handicap record which is held at your home club

I'm doing this for years, try playing in an Interclub comp and not have 4 home qualifiers...Decision DQ

I'm doing this for years, try playing in an Interclub comp and not have 4 home qualifiers...Decision DQ

I and many others have been involved for yrs and have never seen/heard of your interpretation of the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

11. In order to be eligible to compete in the AIG Junior Cup, Jimmy Bruen, Pierce Purcell, Irish Mixed Foursomes,
    Connacht Shield, Jack O’Sullivan, GUI All-Ireland Four-Ball Inter-Club Championship, Nine Hole Course Inter Club and
    Seniors Inter Club, a Player shall have, in the previous Calendar Year prior to the event, returned a minimum of four
    Cards in Qualifying competitions, all of which must be recorded on the handicap Records of the Players Home Club
    on
    or before December 31st in the year immediately preceding the year of the Event.
    Note: If a Player changes his Home Club during the previous calendar year, it is his responsibility to produce

The bit in bold says nothing about having 4 qualifying home competitions. Just says they must be on your HC record before Dec 31st. Where have you seen this rule that you need 4 home qualifying comps

Poker Face wrote: »
    Cards in Qualifying competitions, all of which must be recorded on the handicap Records of the Players Home Club
    on

The bit in bold says nothing about having 4 qualifying home competitions. Just says they must be on your HC record before Dec 31st. Where have you seen this rule that you need 4 home qualifying comps

I think the proof is in the reading ! All I'll say on this matter is try doing it and see if you get away with it,also what's your home club and I'll watch out for them Lol..This is getting into argument for arguments sake, I've been there believe me, you can argue till the cows come home but it's 4 home qualifiers

• Advertisement

I think the proof is in the reading ! All I'll say on this matter is try doing it and see if you get away with it,also what's your home club and I'll watch out for them Lol..This is getting into argument for arguments sake, I've been there believe me, you can argue till the cows come home but it's 4 home qualifiers

Ah come on. It is shown to you in bold from the gui booklet and still u say ur correct.
    Is there any possibility that all of us trying to correct you may be right.
    Also you might be ruling out some of your members from representing your club all because u refuse to read the rule properly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Ah come on. It is shown to you in bold from the gui booklet and still u say it correct.
    Is there any possibility that all of us trying to correct you may be right.
    Also you might be ruling out some of your members from representing your club all because u refuse to read the rule properly

In fairness to you really think that anyone serious enough to join a club won't have at least 4 rounds in their home club? And if they don't, are they really going to be considered for a team? Most likely not in most clubs, but possibly in smaller clubs struggling for numbers to put a team together.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

Seve OB wrote: »
    In fairness to you really think that anyone serious enough to join a club won't have at least 4 rounds in their home club? And if they don't, are they really going to be considered for a team? Most likely not in most clubs, but possibly in smaller clubs struggling for numbers to put a team together.

It's possible for members with dual membership.....they're handicapped out of one club and can represent both just not in the same competition. eg. Junior Cup & Jimmy Bruen.

My partner for the Irish mixed was sent to a open singles to get her 4th card in. Member of killarney(big club)
    So yes it does happen

I think the proof is in the reading !

Indeed it is.
    Nowhere does it say you have to have played 4 rounds on your home course.

You have misinterpreted the rule and now refuse to accept it.

My partner for the Irish mixed was sent to a open singles to get her 4th card in. Member of killarney(big club)
    So yes it does happen

I know it happens, but it is rare.

Why were they sent away and not just asked to play a qualifier at home?

I know it happens, but it is rare.

Why were they sent away and not just asked to play a qualifier at home?

It was november and the ladies club had no more counting singles events.

So yes it does happen

Which proves the point that they don't have to be at your home club.

A lot of people use the Tuesday Open at Portmarnock to get qualifying cards in early winter if they are low.

No skin off my nose, go ahead and put someone in a club team without 4 home qualifiers and produce this on day and see what you are told, Ring Leinster branch for clarification, And if I'm wrong I'll apologise on this, but to let you know, I've been that guy that had man on a team without required qualifiers and was DQ ed

No skin off my nose, go ahead and put someone in a club team without 4 home qualifiers and produce this on day and see what you are told, Ring Leinster branch for clarification, And if I'm wrong I'll apologise on this, but to let you know, I've been that guy that had man on a team without required qualifiers and was DQ ed

How many times do we have to post the rule from the gui handbook to prove to u that ur mistaken.
    Ring the gui urself for clarification.
    If your right a lot of clubs (mine included) have been breaking rules for a long time

• Advertisement

You don't have to produce where they played their competitions on the day.

The golfnet report which is the official report contains GUI number, Players name, Number of qualifying competitions in previous year(regardless of where they are played), lowest playing handicap and current handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I emailed the Leinster Branch this morning to get clarity, just out of curiosity.

Reply is:
    For Interclub competitions your four qualifying competitions have to be listed on your handicap record from your home club, the four qualifying events can be from any course.

You are confusing the rules for open singles and GUI tournaments.
    Eligibility To be eligible to compete in a Singles Qualifying Competition at an Away Club, except for all events listed in the GUI’s Tournament Conditions Book, a Member of a GUI Affiliated Golf Club must have returned at least three scores in Singles Qualifying Competitions at his Home Club, at any time on or after the corresponding date one year before the Singles Qualifying Competition at the Away Club

The eligibility requirements for the various cups and shields have been posted multiple times. They are worded very differently because the requirements are different.

What was the given reason for the dq? Seems like you were wronged. How would anyone know the qualifying comps were home or away anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just my opinion but no player should be selected for an inter-club team who has played less than 10 qualifying rounds for their home club (i.e. the club they wish play for). It's not right that a dual member gets to pick and choose who he plays for and then possibly a guy who plays 50 odd weeks a year at his home club doesn't get picked.

I emailed the Leinster Branch this morning to get clarity, just out of curiosity.

Reply is:

If this is the case and I'll be keeping this for future reference, I apologize lads and I will revisit this as a couple of seasons ago we were contacted after playing that we had an inelegible player and our 5th card would be brought in to the equation thus eliminating us...Interesting as I've a lad this year who only has 3 Qualifiers from our club and multiples away and as the rule was read he doesn't qualify...Issue closed for now

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

If this is the case and I'll be keeping this for future reference, I apologize lads and I will revisit this as a couple of seasons ago we were contacted after playing that we had an inelegible player and our 5th card would be brought in to the equation thus eliminating us...Interesting as I've a lad this year who only has 3 Qualifiers from our club and multiples away and as the rule was read he doesn't qualify...Issue closed for now

How long ago is this? Was the requirement to have the Cups and Shields report printed from Golfnet in operation at the time?

The lad you have this year go into Golfnet and print the cup and shields report (Just use his GUI number to test it out). It will say he has more than 4 qualifying competitions so he is perfectly entitled to play on your team.

i've played purcell with guys brand new into the club who would have had no qualifying comps in new club, but played on the team as they had the necessary amount of games in their old club

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

HighLine wrote: »
    Just my opinion but no player should be selected for an inter-club team who has played less than 10 qualifying rounds for their home club (i.e. the club they wish play for). It's not right that a dual member gets to pick and choose who he plays for and then possibly a guy who plays 50 odd weeks a year at his home club doesn't get picked.

I agree with you in principal but In practice it’s not always that straight forward. At the lower hc end for example guys could be off laying in the east/west/ etc and representing a province and not get many home club cards in.

Similarly lads could be living in Dublin for example and playing plenty of opens but there home club is bac down the country in their home town.

Do you pick your best team available or the guys who turn up every week..... every managers conundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

[quote

Do you pick your best team available or the guys who turn up every week..... every managers conundrum[/quote]

Easy, you pick very best team you can, otherwise you’re wasting everybody’s time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Do you pick your best team available or the guys who turn up every week..... every managers conundrum

Easy, you pick very best team you can, otherwise you’re wasting everybody’s time

It's really not. I'm not sure what golf clubs are being discussed here but my club is a CLUB and anyone playing less than 4 qualifying events at my club would not be picked in a million years. There would be uproar if he/she was picked and rightly so.

Perhaps that could make us a slightly weaker team but at least we will be an actual team.

There has to be a value for playing for one's club. Picking and choosing willy-nilly to get yourself a day out on the inter-club scene of the club of your choice is a pi$$ take IMO.

Advertisement