Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub Competitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

McDonnell Cup
    St Margaret's beat Hollystown 1-4 on Saturday with 3 away wins!

Hollywood Lakes up next will be a very stiff challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate lost to Castle Barna yesterday in the Central Towns. I was in the away contingent and the 3 of us came up against guys with deadly short games who made very few mistakes. Course is in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Galway bay beat Galway in Jimmy Bruen 3&2 with 2 matches being won on 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate qualified from Mullingar Jimmy Bruen Qualifier beating Esker Hills 3.5/1.5 in the final. We think it's the Hermitage GC next in the Leinster Quarter Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Galway bay lost to cregmore in pierce Purcell 3.5 &1.5 and lost to tuam in Jimmy breun 3&2. Tough week but the standard is ridiculously good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Athlone beat Portumna in the zone final of the Pierce purcell at the weekend, now they're into the Connacht Semifinals which take place in August.

Three big weekends coming up for all the lower handicappers in Connacht.
    Barton Shield strokeplay Qualifier on Saturday 23rd of June
    Senior Cup strokeplay Qualifier on Saturday 30th of June
    Junior Cup strokeplay Qualifier on Saturday 7th of July with Matchplay to follow on Sunday 8th of July

Top 4 teams from each of the above will go forward to Connacht finals in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Played in Elm Park on Saturday for the Jimmy Bruen and unfortunately didn't qualify. Interesting though that Elm Park qualified 20 strokes better than Woodbrook on Saturday but were beaten by them 3.5/1.5 on Sunday morning. Goes to show how matchplay is a different game. Course was in very good condition, a nice little track.
    Qualifying: 312 Elm Park; 324 Milltown; 326 Castle; 332 Woodbrook
    Non-qualifying: 333 Dun Laoghaire; 334 Greystones, Stackstown, Grange; 337 Wicklow; 340 Bray; 341 Old Conna; 342 Killiney, Druid's Heath; 344 Delgany; 345 Charlesland; 349 Druid's Glen; Blainroe; 351 Powerscourt; 372 Roundwood
    Semi-finals: Woodbrook bt Elm Park 3.5/1.5; Castle bt Milltown 3.5/1.5
    Final: Castle bt Woodbrook 3/2

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

HighLine wrote: »
    Played in Elm Park on Saturday for the Jimmy Bruen and unfortunately didn't qualify. Interesting though that Elm Park qualified 20 strokes better than Woodbrook on Saturday but were beaten by them 3.5/1.5 on Sunday morning. Goes to show how matchplay is a different game. Course was in very good condition, a nice little track.

When the wind got up round 12 it made it really tough, 16 was a brute! Course was really well presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

HighLine wrote: »

Played in this too. Started off with 6, 6, 6 and thought we were finished. Battled around for an 87 in the end. Wind was very tough and hard to know what direction it was coming from!

Whilst we thought we didn't have a hope in qualifying after we finished, we just missed out by a shot so wind must have really gotten tough in the afternoon. Course was in great condition,greens rolled lovely, thought some of the pins were abit much mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i was due to play Elm park also but had to drop out last minute with a family bereavement.
    unfortunately without my presence, my team lost out by 2 shots :)
    played a practice round there for fist time in years. it is actually a longer and more challenging course than i remembered

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    Barton Shield strokeplay Qualifier on Saturday 23rd of June

Qualifiers out of Connacht were Co. Sligo, Galway, Portumna, Athenry with +3, +5, +9, +12 aggregate scores respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Qualifiers out of Connacht were Co. Sligo, Galway, Portumna, Athenry with +3, +5, +9, +12 aggregate scores respectively

And one of Co. Sligo's lads was a 15yo. Played Junior Cup with us last year, gone this year :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Played senior Cup Saturday in Blainroe, the standard is unreal, just not from me! Dun Laoghaire have some panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Played Senior Cup in Castle on Sunday. Came down to my match in the end. Opponent and I played very poorly for most of the day; we were throwing holes at each other tbh. Was 3 down after 10 but managed to get myself 1up going down 18. Got a bit unlucky off the tee and ended up 3 putting to lose the hole. So down the 19th we went.

Par 5, hit a good drive, then a rescue into the greenside bunker in two. Decent bunker shot to 7 ft and made the putt. 1 and only birdie, good time to make it! On again next Sunday.

AhHaor wrote: »
    Played senior Cup Saturday in Blainroe, the standard is unreal, just not from me! Dun Laoghaire have some panel.

Colin Woodroofe is a distant cousin of mine - obviously that side got all the good golfing genes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

Are Caddies allowed in AIG Junior Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

jtown wrote: »
    Are Caddies allowed in AIG Junior Cup?

Yes.
    Only bruen/purcell where no caddies.
    Listed in rules of cups and shields on golfnet

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Yes.
    Only bruen/purcell where no caddies.
    Listed in rules of cups and shields on golfnet

Junior Cup Rules
    AIG JUNIOR CUP
    1. General
    a) The Cup shall be called the “Irish Golf Clubs Junior Challenge Cup”.
    b) These Rules must be read in conjunction with the General Rules for Cups and Shields, and with the
    conditions for the Provincial Qualifying Section as determined by the Branch.
    2. Eligibility
    a) No player shall be eligible to compete in this Tournament who was not in possession of a CONGU
    Handicap during the preceding calendar year.
    b) No player shall be eligible to compete in this Tournament whose playing handicap was less than four
    during the preceding calendar year.
    c) A player shall have, in the calendar year prior to the event, returned a minimum of four returns in
    qualifying competitions (Supplementary Scores are not included) all of which must be recorded on the
    handicap records of the player’s home club on or before 31st December in the calendar year prior to the
    event. Nine-Hole qualifying competitions are admissible under this rule. Note: If a player changes his club
    during the previous calendar year, it is his responsibility to produce evidence of having competed in a
    minimum of four Qualifying Competitions.
    d) Penalty for breach of Rule 2 = Disqualification of the team concerned.
    3. Format
    a) Each team shall consist of five members and play shall be by singles medal play or by singles match play.
    b) A team Captain may nominate two reserves.
    c) All matches must be played to a conclusion unless an overall result has already been reached. Unfinished
    matches will be declared ‘halved’.
    4. Handicaps
    a) All matches will be played off scratch

CUPS AND SHIELDS – GENERAL RULES

10. Caddies
    a) The following penalty will be applied for breach of the conditions of specific competitions which either
    prohibit caddies outright or prohibit certain individuals from acting as caddies, e.g. players who are overage
    in an under-age competition, professional golfers, etc:
    i) Match play - At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is
    adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round -
    Two holes.
    ii) Stroke play - Two strokes for each hole at which any breach occurred; maximum penalty per round -
    Four strokes (two strokes at each of the first two holes at which any breach occurred).
    iii) Match play or stroke play - In the event of a breach between the play of two holes, the penalty applies
    to the next hole. If a breach is discovered between the play of two holes, it is deemed to have been
    discovered during play of the next hole, and the penalty must be applied accordingly.
    iv) Bogey and par competitions - See Note 1 to Rule 32-1a of the Rules of Golf.
    v) Stableford competitions - See Note 1 to Rule 32-1b of the Rules of Golf.
    vi) A player having a caddie in breach of this condition must immediately upon discovery that a breach has
    occurred ensure that he conforms with this condition for the remainder of the stipulated round.
    Otherwise, the player is disqualified.

Cant see where they are allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

jtown wrote: »
    Junior Cup Rules
    AIG JUNIOR CUP
    1. General
    a) The Cup shall be called the “Irish Golf Clubs Junior Challenge Cup”.
    b) These Rules must be read in conjunction with the General Rules for Cups and Shields, and with the
    conditions for the Provincial Qualifying Section as determined by the Branch.
    2. Eligibility
    a) No player shall be eligible to compete in this Tournament who was not in possession of a CONGU
    Handicap during the preceding calendar year.
    b) No player shall be eligible to compete in this Tournament whose playing handicap was less than four
    during the preceding calendar year.
    c) A player shall have, in the calendar year prior to the event, returned a minimum of four returns in
    qualifying competitions (Supplementary Scores are not included) all of which must be recorded on the
    handicap records of the player’s home club on or before 31st December in the calendar year prior to the
    event. Nine-Hole qualifying competitions are admissible under this rule. Note: If a player changes his club
    during the previous calendar year, it is his responsibility to produce evidence of having competed in a
    minimum of four Qualifying Competitions.
    d) Penalty for breach of Rule 2 = Disqualification of the team concerned.
    3. Format
    a) Each team shall consist of five members and play shall be by singles medal play or by singles match play.
    b) A team Captain may nominate two reserves.
    c) All matches must be played to a conclusion unless an overall result has already been reached. Unfinished
    matches will be declared ‘halved’.
    4. Handicaps
    a) All matches will be played off scratch

CUPS AND SHIELDS – GENERAL RULES

10. Caddies
    a) The following penalty will be applied for breach of the conditions of specific competitions which either
    prohibit caddies outright or prohibit certain individuals from acting as caddies, e.g. players who are overage
    in an under-age competition, professional golfers, etc:
    i) Match play - At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is
    adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round -
    Two holes.
    ii) Stroke play - Two strokes for each hole at which any breach occurred; maximum penalty per round -
    Four strokes (two strokes at each of the first two holes at which any breach occurred).
    iii) Match play or stroke play - In the event of a breach between the play of two holes, the penalty applies
    to the next hole. If a breach is discovered between the play of two holes, it is deemed to have been
    discovered during play of the next hole, and the penalty must be applied accordingly.
    iv) Bogey and par competitions - See Note 1 to Rule 32-1a of the Rules of Golf.
    v) Stableford competitions - See Note 1 to Rule 32-1b of the Rules of Golf.
    vi) A player having a caddie in breach of this condition must immediately upon discovery that a breach has
    occurred ensure that he conforms with this condition for the remainder of the stipulated round.
    Otherwise, the player is disqualified.

Cant see where they are allowed

Read the rules for bruen and Purcell it clearly states no caddies.
    It doesn't say that for any other comps. I have played mixed and senior cup and had caddies in both

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Read the rules for bruen and Purcell it clearly states no caddies.
    It doesn't say that for any other comps. I have played mixed and senior cup and had caddies in both

Ok Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is there a way to get luve updates from senior cup in the castle? Not like hole by hole, but to say which clubs have won the round?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Mushy wrote: »
    Is there a way to get luve updates from senior cup in the castle? Not like hole by hole, but to say which clubs have won the round?

Try looking up individual clubs on club app, GUI usually up date their site when all the morning games done

Senior Cup strokeplay Qualifier on Saturday 30th of June

Qualifiers were Portumna, Galway Bay, Galway and County Sligo with aggregate scores of +8, +11, +12 and +15 respectively. Connacht finals in a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Mushy wrote: »
    Carton (my home club) came out of a tough group as follows.
    Woodbrook 3/2

Naas 4/1

Newlands 3.5/1.5

Grange 3.5/1.5

Carton are absolutely stacked - not quite NUIM, but close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

They may suffer in the finals. 3 lads heading back to the states, on their scholarships.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was it not the Grange that went through? Or else I'm just forgetting the report on gui site already.

Brother was playing on old conna team so be a nice trip to mount Juliet next month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Well, north area junior Cup done and dusted. Finished 2nd in qualifying to Castle dargan, then castlebar, swinford, ballinrobe, carrick on shannon, enniscrone, claremorris. I didn't play Strokeplay and had no intention of playing matchplay. Anyway, ended up playing vs enniscrone 3 down against a good young lad after 9 and wondering why!! Anyway stuck at it and made birdie on 18 to go ahead for 1st time in the match. Ended up playing in the afternoon vs carrick, 5 down after 9 really wondering why!!! Got it back to 2 down with 3 to go and won the last 3 with 3 pars to go ahead for first time again which was hugely satisfying. It came down to last match which Carrick won with birdie on 19. Disappointed but hey, that's life. Ballinrobe, the hosts, overcame claremorris in the other game. Ballinrobe is a fabulous track and I'd encourage everyone to play it, seriously good value.

Athlone didnt even get out of qualifying in South zone. 2 good scores from our 5 and a couple of mares as well.

I wasnt playing myself as I was at a wedding. I dont think I would have been in qualifying even if we had made it and been held back for matchplay which is my speciaility :P

South zone qualifiers after matchplay were Portumna and Roscommon who were the top two qualifiers from the strokeplay. Nobody came close to touching them in the matchplay and it was down in Portumna which is just a gorgeous golf course.

Connacht Semi-finalists in a months time so will be Portumna, Roscommon, Ballinrobe and Carrick-On-Shannon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

McDonnell Cup
    Hollywood Lakes beat St Margaret's 4-1

I played away for St Margarets. We played resonably well but couldn't match the high standard of golf of our opponents on the day.

Advertisement