Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub Competitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

having played this year in the PP - the scotch format certainly took the pressure off on the tee! I would slightly disagree with the pace of play argument, it does'nt really add significant time onto a round by having 2 additional tee shots on each hole (realistically).

there will certainly be more emphasis on knowing the course beforehand and setting up a strategy on who tee's off on certain holes.

Think the driver will be taken out of the bag next year :)

I played in a match this year, where myself and my partner where solid off the tee, and our opponents where all over the place, one guy would top it and the next would get it away - and they would end up halving / winning holes from nowhere, was very frustrating and I believe if it was straight foursomes we may have won our match (if's and but's) - our team won the match anyway so it did'nt matter in the end!

More nerves anyway for 2019! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly wrote: »
    First round of Senior Cup will now be strokeplay in Leinster from 2019.

Seems odd, wonder what the logic is behind going to strokeplay ? A way of ensuring the "best" teams don't come a cropper in matchplay against an underdog ?

Russman wrote: »
    Seems odd, wonder what the logic is behind going to strokeplay ? A way of ensuring the "best" teams don't come a cropper in matchplay against an underdog ?

Back in the day most if not all of the competitions played at a neutral venue were matchplay. One by one they have changed with the Senior Cup the last one to move to strokeplay qualifying.

The 'Official' reason given is they Clubs don't have to give up their course for the whole weekend. It frees up more time for members this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

it does'nt really add significant time onto a round by having 2 additional tee shots on each hole (realistically).

It wasn't so much the two tee shots being taken that slowed it up. It was the discussion over which ball to use for the second shot that slowed things up. I was only a spectator but it was way slower than straight foursomes with long conversations taking place over whether to use the ball on the one side of the fairway or the other etc

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Ah yeah, I get ya' added with that the potential to be rooting around for balls in the rough, trees etc.

new format might actually put some players off playing as well, It's a completely different ball game when your drive HAS to count!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Back in the day most if not all of the competitions played at a neutral venue were matchplay. One by one they have changed with the Senior Cup the last one to move to strokeplay qualifying.

The 'Official' reason given is they Clubs don't have to give up their course for the whole weekend. It frees up more time for members this way.

That makes no sense. PP & Bruen basically take over for the weekend with the strokeplay qualify. Possibly less so on the Sunday when it is down to the last 4 for matchplay part.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Does anyone know the venue for the Pierce Purcell regional qualifiers for Leinster, or when will they be published?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Does anyone know the venue for the Pierce Purcell regional qualifiers for Leinster, or when will they be published?

Off the Provisional List Circulated at the Annual meeting last week.

Bellewstown, Old Conna, Abbeyleix, Castle Barna, Coollattin, Charlesland, Castlewarden, Beaverstown.

I would not think this is the complete list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Leinster fixtures are on the GUI website today.

• Advertisement

tournament conditions book still lists PP as Scotch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Is there a qualifier for the Senior Cup now? Draw would suggest there is. Wasnt aware that was coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Seve OB wrote: »
    tournament conditions book still lists PP as Scotch

Tournament conditions book is 2018, I'd imagine a 2019 one will be there in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Anyone got an idea what the format and handicap criteria are for that new fred perry over 55 gui interclubcould not find any details on the gui site

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Anyone got an idea what the format and handicap criteria are for that new fred perry over 55 gui interclubcould not find any details on the gui site

Never realised you were that old! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Irish Seniors Inter Club Tournament, over 55 1st Jan in year of
    tournament, home or away (top team drawn at home, no splitting of
    teams). Team of 10 (5 pairs), max individual handicap 28, combined 42 -
    based on lowest last year. No caddies allowed; four-ball allowance and
    four card rule in previous year applies. Winners to submit details by
    prescribed deadlines as issued with Cups & Shields draws.

Is that some sort of tennis thing?

mafc wrote: »
    Never realised you were that old! ��
    ah thats still young i suppose its the life of abstinence, prayer, yoga and mindfulness:D

Is there a qualifier for the Senior Cup now? Draw would suggest there is. Wasnt aware that was coming in.

Leinster Golf changed the 1st day to a strokeplay qualifier from next year.

Poker Face wrote: »
    Irish Seniors Inter Club Tournament, over 55 1st Jan in year of
    tournament, home or away (top team drawn at home, no splitting of
    teams). Team of 10 (5 pairs), max individual handicap 28, combined 42 -
    based on lowest last year. No caddies allowed; four-ball allowance and
    four card rule in previous year applies. Winners to submit details by
    prescribed deadlines as issued with Cups & Shields draws.

Hi Poker face, thanks for that am managing our guys in this comp, can,t find anything on the GUI site. Forgive my ignorance but what does no splitting of teams mean.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

Hi Poker face, thanks for that am managing our guys in this comp, can,t find anything on the GUI site. Forgive my ignorance but what does no splitting of teams mean.:eek:

It just means that all five matches take place at one venue (the top team in the draw are the home team)
    Some comps used to split the matches where 3 would take place in the home club and 2 at the away teams club (at the same time).

SEORG wrote: »
    It just means that all five matches take place at one venue (the top team in the draw are the home team)
    Some comps used to split the matches where 3 would take place in the home club and 2 at the away teams club (at the same time).

i was hoping it wasn't that we are drawn away, whatever about sneaking one match away but 3 that really does give the home team a massive chance. load of me B.....:mad:

i was hoping it wasn't that we are drawn away, whatever about sneaking one match away but 3 that really does give the home team a massive chance. load of me B.....:mad:

What SEORG said is correct. Big adv to come out first in the draw.

What SEORG said is correct. Big adv to come out first in the draw.
    y
    I got the draw sheet sent on to me last night and in the top right hand corner it says that the club on top of the draw has 3 matches at home so same as most interclub. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

A player shall have, in the calendar year prior to the event, returned a minimum of four returns in qualifying competitions (supplementary scores are not included) all of which must be recorded on the handicap records of the player’s home club on or before 31st December in the calendar year prior to the event. Nine-Hole qualifying competitions are admissible under this rule. Note: If a player changes his club during the previous calendar year, it is his responsibility to produce evidence of having competed in a minimum of four Qualifying Competitions.

Do the four returns have to be on your home course or can someone play interclub competitions that has for example played 2 home comps and 10 away comps last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Dotzie wrote: »
    A player shall have, in the calendar year prior to the event, returned a minimum of four returns in qualifying competitions (supplementary scores are not included) all of which must be recorded on the handicap records of the player’s home club on or before 31st December in the calendar year prior to the event. Nine-Hole qualifying competitions are admissible under this rule. Note: If a player changes his club during the previous calendar year, it is his responsibility to produce evidence of having competed in a minimum of four Qualifying Competitions.

Do the four returns have to be on your home course or can someone play interclub competitions that has for example played 2 home comps and 10 away comps last year?

You must have played 4 qualifying comps in your home club in previous calendar year to qualify for GUI Interclub events...If you change from Club A to Club B and want to represent Club B in Interclub events you need 4 qualifiers from Club A..it doesn't matter if you played 10 opens last year in Club B as it was not your home club in that year..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    You must have played 4 qualifying comps in your home club in previous calendar year to qualify for GUI Interclub events...If you change from Club A to Club B and want to represent Club B in Interclub events you need 4 qualifiers from Club A..it doesn't matter if you played 10 opens last year in Club B as it was not your home club in that year..

Thanks for the response. That's what I thought just wanted to be 💯 sure.

This is not correct. The 4 qualifying comps do not have to be all from your home club. As long as you play 4 qualifying competitions during the year at any course you qualify for GUI Interclub events.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

This is not correct. The 4 qualifying comps do not have to be all from your home club. As long as you play 4 qualifying competitions during the year at any course you qualify for GUI Interclub events.

Totally wrong as you need at least 3 at home club to even hold your competition handicap, I've been running Interclub for years and I know the criteria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

Totally wrong as you need at least 3 at home club to even hold your competition handicap, I've been running Interclub for years and I know the criteria

Incorrect, for GUI cups & shields you need four qualifying returned card in the previous calendar year.
    They don’t have to be from your home club.

Advertisement