Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miles fuel (Topaz/Circle K)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭clodola

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Mod edit - Removed personal details

NO.. Bog standard for me
    FB Group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/237854083628741/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

NO.. Bog standard for me
    clodola wrote: »

Linky is wonky

NO.. Bog standard for me
    mikeecho wrote: »
    Linky is wonky

Deleted the Group , a page is a better option

https://www.facebook.com/97Octane/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

NO.. Bog standard for me
    So,
    Mixed results.
    ( I had almost 1/2 tank of Texaco in so cannot fully compare,
    I filled with Miles plus just before I left Fermoy on Tuesday.covered approx 600kms.
    First impressions are the car flt much more responsive, especially on motorway when I wanted to overtake. My wife even noticed it.
    Really happy with that part especially as it is is first tank ( mixed )
    Secondly,
    Some of the mpg possibly has to do with weather but the trip computer which is what I have been using since I bought it was showing 5.7/100~5.8/100 = between 48~50mpg.
    I do small mileage int total so I am going to continue using it and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I found that it takes two fills or so to get it to work it's best. It's just to dilute down the old diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Atari Jaguar
    Keep in mind it takes the ECU some time to adapt to the better fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Did Dublin to Cork last night, 33 mpg whereas normally I'd get about 31 mpg. This is using miles plus petrol, so I'd say it does save a bit even accounting for the better weather.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    ianobrien wrote: »
    I found that it takes two fills or so to get it to work it's best. It's just to dilute down the old diesel.

Yes,
    I am debating if I should let this tank run way down or just fill it now again?

shietpilot wrote: »

I read that alright, It can take 2~3 tanks to adjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

NO.. Bog standard for me
    vectra wrote: »
    Yes,
    I am debating if I should let this tank run way down or just fill it now again?

Run it away down before filling. Then you have a reduced concentration of crap diesel in the tank when compared to the other approach of keep topping it up.

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    Agreed
    I was topping up and saw some improvements in mpg but after letting the tank almost run out the improvements are more noticeable

2014 c220 using texaco averaging 45mpg now using topaz more miles 50mpg
    This is all local driving School runs and shopping

Serious mileage for local runs.
    You find it more responsive ?

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Turns out I was working it out wrong and I’m actually getting around the 56mpg this was a run from cork to Dublin yesterday and local driving comes out the same I thought he motorway trip would have faired better than local driving but it’s all good

Cork to Dublin at 97kph :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

NO.. Bog standard for me
    shietpilot wrote: »

200 engine hours ... apparently (For the plus fuel to have full effect)

So that could be 2 to 4 tanks.... all depending on a lot of variables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Atari Jaguar
    pa990 wrote: »

You're doing extremely well if you can do 200 hours on even 4 tanks. Even at 50 km/h that's 10,000 km (2,500 km per tank). How big is your tank?

NO.. Bog standard for me
    hognef wrote: »
    You're doing extremely well if you can do 200 hours on even 4 tanks. Even at 50 km/h that's 10,000 km (2,500 km per tank). How big is your tank?

I was thinking that alright
    id be lucky to get 8-10 hours out of a tank :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Sorry, I didn't really explain that correctly.

It's 2 to 4 tanks to see an improvement.

And it's 200 engine hours of super /premium fuel to do the cleaning. Ie full effect.
    After 200hrs, it's cleaned it as much as it can,.

.... according to my industry insider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

NO.. Bog standard for me
    So do most of you lads go out of your way to get this fuel? There doesn't seem to be many garages with the miles plus and none in my area (west dublin).

Wailin wrote: »
    So do most of you lads go out of your way to get this fuel? There doesn't seem to be many garages with the miles plus and none in my area (west dublin).

The Westway station is near the Fox and Geese, and it's also the cheapest in Dublin (by some distance) for the stuff.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Sorry, I didn't really explain that correctly.

It's 2 to 4 tanks to see an improvement.

And it's 200 engine hours of super /premium fuel to do the cleaning. Ie full effect.
    After 200hrs, it's cleaned it as much as it can,.

.... according to my industry insider.

So you think it might take 200 hours to fully clean my engine?
    It has only 6700kms on it from new :D

Just about a km further than my local topaz, But it is on my way out of town so no problem for me.

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me

I don't go out of my way for it.
    It's opposite the aldi I shop at, so I just top up at the topaz, wherever I'm doing a shop.

Is the miles plus 97 available anywhere south Dublin? My bike is supposed to run 97 so I'm not sure what benefit id get out of miles plus which is just 95 with additives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Atari Jaguar
    Is the miles plus 97 available anywhere south Dublin? My bike is supposed to run 97 so I'm not sure what benefit id get out of miles plus which is just 95 with additives?

Dalkey, Ballyboden and The Square sell it

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Dalkey, Ballyboden and The Square sell it

How much more is it than regular miles plus? My car is supposed to run 98 RON so it should respond a bit better using 97 RON (although I truthfully never noticed a difference using super unleaded in the UK when I lived there apart from slightly smoother running), so I'd like to give it a go.

I definitely think the standard miles plus is worth it for the better mpg - I reckon it's doing about 1-2 mpg more than it normally would - and when you've got six cylinders under the bonnet to be feeding, that makes a bit of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Miles Plus 97 isn't available in Ireland. Not sure if it was the thread or another, but Circle K I've days they are looking to see how successful regular Miles Plus is before introducing the 97 octane one. They've since taken any reference to it off their website.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

NO.. Bog standard for me
    bennyx_o wrote: »
    Miles Plus 97 isn't available in Ireland. Not sure if it was the thread or another, but Circle K I've days they are looking to see how successful regular Miles Plus is before introducing the 97 octane one. They've since taken any reference to it off their website.
    https://www.circlek.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/milesPLUS_unleaded_97.pdf

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me

Yeah, I noticed it's back on the website. I can't find the post now where another poster got an email from Corcle K stating what I had posted previously

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Just got this reply;
    Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we do not provide 97 RON it was a mistake put on our website and later removed.
    We are not going to supply this grade of Octane in the future i am told either.

I do know that some of our dealer sites up the north have this on their forecourt but that nowhere in Ireland actually has this as its a uk based fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I sent them an email and in fairness they replied quickly. No plans to ever get 97 octane in Ireland unfortunately, not even in the distant pipeline

NO.. Bog standard for me

The industry insider was misinformed..

It's more like 20 to 30 hrs

http://m.circlek.se/cs/Satellite/SE1/sv_SE/pg1334076695392/privat/drivmedel/Miles/Diesel/MilesDieselTester.html?c=Page&childpagename=SE1%2FLayout&cid=1334076695392&d=Touch&lang=sv_SE&packedargs=lang&pagename=SE1Wrapper&sitepfx=SE1&sitepfx=SE1

20 to 30 hrs is more like 2 to 3 tanks.

So.. half right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Atari Jaguar
    Noticed the the Southbound garage at Cabinteely is getting Miles Plus

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Wonder what is the general price of miles plus around Cork?
    I have a feeling my local is the "Brown Thomas" of service stations :P

NO.. Bog standard for me
    €1.47 in fermoy

€1.44.9 last time I got it there.

NO.. Bog standard for me

Fermoy station not showing on that
    As a side note,
    Does pumps.ie work on IOS anymore?

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I got it yesterday at that price

Or
    1.47 ?

Handy site to use if your travelling around and can plan a fill up

I know. I have been using it with years but cant seem to see if it works on Iphone or not?
    Had it on Android always.

Is that for regular or miles plus, and for petrol or diesel?

It was 150.9 per litre for miles plus petrol last Saturday at the Westway station in Dublin anyway.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    vectra wrote: »
    Wonder what is the general price of miles plus around Cork?
    I have a feeling my local is the "Brown Thomas" of service stations :P

Ballincollig
    Petrol. 1.449
    Plus petrol 1.519
    Diesel 1.349
    Plus diesel 1.419

Lower Glanmire rd
    Petrol. 1.459
    Plus petrol 1.529
    Diesel 1.359
    Plus diesel 1.429

Macroom
    ... didn't take any notice when I drove past, but they seem to have an 8c premium on plus fuel, ballincollig and lower rd, have a 7c premium.

I've a 70L tank, and usually fill up with 50L, so the plus fuel will cost an extra €3.50
    I fill up fortnightly(ish)
    So it only costs an extra €1.75 a week, and the car runs more quiet and has a bit more pep.

For the sake of €100 over the entire year.. it's not a big motoring cost, given that I'll spend €€€€'s on tyres.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    On a side note.
    I recently filled a 1.2 petrol polo and a 1.4 petrol golf with plus petrol for family members, and v both have said that it was "good petrol" both who are clueless when it comes to anything automotive.

I'm not sure if that's a good recommendation or not, but regardless, I've filled the bike and the summer run about with plus petrol.
    Neither do much mileage, so the cost is negligible.

My daily is a 220bhp diesel, that I've run on plus diesel since it's introduction, prior to that I was using a cetane improver, currently between 1,200 to 1,400 km per 70L tank

.... and I do like to push the pedal to the carpet.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Ballincollig
    Petrol. 1.449
    Plus petrol 1.519
    Diesel 1.349
    Plus diesel 1.419

Lower Glanmire rd
    Petrol. 1.459
    Plus petrol 1.529
    Diesel 1.359
    Plus diesel 1.429

Macroom
    ... didn't take any notice when I drove past, but they seem to have an 8c premium on plus fuel, ballincollig and lower rd, have a 7c premium.

I've a 70L tank, and usually fill up with 50L, so the plus fuel will cost an extra €3.50
    I fill up fortnightly(ish)
    So it only costs an extra €1.75 a week, and the car runs more quiet and has a bit more pep.

For the sake of €100 over the entire year.. it's not a big motoring cost, given that I'll spend €€€€'s on tyres.

Agreed,
    I do very small mileage PA
    So probably somewhere in the region of 100 PA for myself as well,
    I think like you, Worth it for the better running and I am going to continue a check on MPG compared to the cheaper brand,
    I have an idea what it was like on Normal Miles Topaz diesel ( Or whatever it is called)
    I have 104kms left in the tank now so will fill her this week.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Last two fills have been with the miles plus diesel so interesting to see if there's a noticeable difference. Most seem to think about 3 or 4 fills before it takes affect...is that the case? It's a 313hp diesel so has plenty of pull already, I'm thinking the difference will be negligible really but no harm trying.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Woah that is a nice jump. Im averaging 38-40 mpg at the moment and not noticing any difference yet.

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    It took me about 3 fills to notice the mpg improving, but I think that was because I didn’t drain he tank fully
    I went from 47mpg to 56mpg roughly

That's some improvement
    I am wondering if you are comparing winter MPG to summer MPG ?
    On my first tank ( just over half tank as Texaco diesel was in there already ) I noticed an almost 5mpg improvement on a 600 km round trip mostly motorway.
    I am still looking at town driving and it looks as though it is giving me better mpg here as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It took me about 3 fills to notice the mpg improving, but I think that was because I didn’t drain he tank fully
    There isn't a hope that you got a 20% improvement by switching to a different fuel alone.
    The increased temperatures, the style of driving, the condition of the car, something else has contributed to this much more than Topaz's fancy additive.

If you could get a 20% gain this additive, then *all* fuel globally would have something like this in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Atari Jaguar

If swapping one additive in regular fuel for a different additive in the plus fuel could deliver a 20% improvement, Topaz would say so.

They claim their additive delivers 3% vs. no additive at all, which is a fuel you cannot buy since thay all use additives of some sort.

If it gives 2% over regular, I would be surprised. The idea that this fuel gives a 20% improvement is pure fantasy - something else did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

We have higher temperatures and less windy weather for the last few weeks which help a lot more to achieve higher mpg than anything else (as already stated).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

NO.. Bog standard for me
    clodola wrote: »
    None of us can find it in any of the Miles Plus stations, just Miles Plus ; Talking to CircleK on Facebook , it is labelled as Miles Plus 97 , Miles Plus is only 95

In the hope of creating a demand , can you email them stating your interest

https://www.circlek.ie/contact-us/
    Well I tried a few times but the contact us webpage doesn't take my submission.
    Who do I contact now?
    :-)

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Well I tried a few times but the contact us webpage doesn't take my submission.
    Who do I contact now?
    :-)
    bennyx_o wrote: »
    Just got this reply

Unfortunately we do not provide 97 RON it was a mistake put on our website and later removed.

I do know that some of our dealer sites up the north have this on their forecourt but that nowhere in Ireland actually has this as its a uk based fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

NO.. Bog standard for me

[/QUOTE]
    Cheers man, I did manage to send an email in the end, to customer service. That's a very stupid reply they gave you, practically every backwater station in Europe (not only EU) has at least 97 octane. We need to find the real reason why we can't get such fuels here, is there some capacity issue in our national petroleum handling facilities or extra duty, or it's "inefficient" to offer another fuel in amongst the myriad other fuels already handled in Ireland.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Vittu

Zaph wrote: »
    So it's 3% more performance for 8% more money? Hardly seems worth it.

Well said

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Cheers man, I did manage to send an email in the end, to customer service. That's a very stupid reply they gave you, practically every backwater station in Europe (not only EU) has at least 97 octane. We need to find the real reason why we can't get such fuels here, is there some capacity issue in our national petroleum handling facilities or extra duty, or it's "inefficient" to offer another fuel in amongst the myriad other fuels already handled in Ireland.

Cheers
    It is a strange reply, they're rolling Miles Plus out to more sites so it must be selling reasonably well. I can't imagine 97ron being much more expensive either. Doesn't make much sense to me. That being said, I've been running Miles Plus for a while now and MPG seems to have improved by about 2 or so.

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me

Cheers[/quote]

Meanwhile in Finland abroad 92ron
    statoil-stander.jpg

And Denmark also abroad, possibly Denmark

453573.jpg

453572.jpg

Advertisement