Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miles fuel (Topaz/Circle K)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

NO.. Bog standard for me
    And then you have Japan.
    Regular petrol is to a minimum of 89ron, and Premium petrol has a min of 96ron

However most premium petrol is 98 to 100ron
    Ron 95 is not available.

So in Japan you either use premium or a low grade petrol.
    I'd imagine that most would use the cheapest , ie >/= 89ron

Source:
    https://origami-book.com/column/course-en/11971

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Atari Jaguar
    mikeecho wrote: »
    Cheers man, I did manage to send an email in the end, to customer service. That's a very stupid reply they gave you, practically every backwater station in Europe (not only EU) has at least 97 octane. We need to find the real reason why we can't get such fuels here, is there some capacity issue in our national petroleum handling facilities or extra duty, or it's "inefficient" to offer another fuel in amongst the myriad other fuels already handled in Ireland.

Cheers

It's simple people aren't going to pay more for a product they can get for less. Most people here don't care about their cars as long as they pass their NCT. The demand is not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

E5 "95" is usually higher than 95. 95 is the bare minimum it has to be.

Whitegate E5 "95" at least used to be 99.1. That's about a third of the national supply.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    L1011 wrote: »

Whitegate E5 "95" at least used to be 99.1. That's about a third of the national supply.

That I believe, the source of crude will vary, and so will the quality of fuel that is cracked from it, so it could vary between 95 and 99.

Is there any source for such information, it might be an interesting read.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    And if you're in Australia
    You can get 91 ron petrol

fuels.ashx?h=254&w=450&la=en&hash=50D2C22096A2D7DA7A2E66E7DAA57CC52A5C65BF

CostcoPetrol_5.jpg

And In New Zealand
    TUCK519.jpg

I don't think we are doing too bad in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Atari Jaguar
    Yeah, 95 RON is already pretty high and is considered "super" or "premium" in a lot of places (e.g. the US, where it's the equivalent of 91 in their ratings). Most petrol cars on the road here won't benefit from any higher anyway.

Cheers man, I did manage to send an email in the end, to customer service. That's a very stupid reply they gave you, practically every backwater station in Europe (not only EU) has at least 97 octane. We need to find the real reason why we can't get such fuels here, is there some capacity issue in our national petroleum handling facilities or extra duty, or it's "inefficient" to offer another fuel in amongst the myriad other fuels already handled in Ireland.

Cheers

Meanwhile in Finland 92ron
    statoil-stander.jpg

snip

The picture above (the 1st one on the earlier post) is from Denmark too or maybe Norway. Finland has just 95E10 and 98E5 now and E85 on at least one station in any larger towns. The 92 octane was already discontinued sometime early 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its also priced in Kroner, which Finland doesn't (and never) used; its Euro there too.

Atari Jaguar
    Its also priced in Kroner, which Finland doesn't (and never) used; its Euro there too.

All according to the Wikipedia there are no Circle K garges in Finland. They have garages in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Russia no mention of Finland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Nearest topaz to me that sells it is kill but its about 14c a litre dearer than my local Texaco, there's even a topaz selling miles diesel 13c cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

NO.. Bog standard for me
    And if you're in Australia
    You can get 91 ron petrol

I don't think we are doing too bad in this country.
    I travel a bit in the balkans Slovenia, Croatia have hi octane, even in Serbia too. Little Cyprus has it. So how come we can't get it with a substantially larger economy than those countries? Is it because they share a continent? Not Cyprus, and in NI you can get premium fuel

I know when I tried the shell "super fuel" here way back in 98 ish, there was a big difference between it and 95 octane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Atari Jaguar
    samih wrote: »
    snip

The picture above (the 1st one on the earlier post) is from Denmark too or maybe Norway. Finland has just 95E10 and 98E5 now and E85 on at least one station in any larger towns. The 92 octane was already discontinued sometime early 90's.

All three are from Denmark. First two as evidenced by the language, third by the prices being in line with the first two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I travel a bit in the balkans Slovenia, Croatia have hi octane, even in Serbia too. Little Cyprus has it. So how come we can't get it with a substantially larger economy than those countries? Is it because they share a continent? Not Cyprus, and in NI you can get premium fuel.
    Because of no demand here as mentioned before. People in majority just don't care about cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Atari Jaguar
    Seweryn wrote: »
    Because of no demand here as mentioned before. People in majority just don't care about cars.

I care a lot about cars. I don't care about differences in fuel that make no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

NO.. Bog standard for me
    People must be paying for it if the're rolling it out to more sites though - Last time I passed the Topaz on the way into Drogheda they had a hole dug in the forecourt & a sign saying Miles Plus was coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Well I'm getting about 2 mpg more out of my car in like for like driving since I switched to miles plus (which is more impressive than it sounds when you've got a straight six petrol), so I will continue to pay extra, it nearly pays for itself on the better fuel economy and obviously it will be cleaner and better for the engine as well than the regular stuff.

The past 3 tanks I've gotten more than 32 mpg out of it and since I last filled up 370 miles ago, the trip computer says my average is 37 mpg (probably more like 33 mpg in reality as it's very optimistic in my experience) - considering it's a 2.5 straight six petrol, I think that's excellent mpg!

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Well I'm getting about 2 mpg more out of my car in like for like driving since I switched to miles plus (which is more impressive than it sounds when you've got a straight six petrol), so I will continue to pay extra, it nearly pays for itself on the better fuel economy and obviously it will be cleaner and better for the engine as well than the regular stuff.

The past 3 tanks I've gotten more than 32 mpg out of it and since I last filled up 370 miles ago, the trip computer says my average is 37 mpg (probably more like 33 mpg in reality as it's very optimistic in my experience) - considering it's a 2.5 straight six petrol, I think that's excellent mpg!

It'll be interesting to see what mpg you get if you switch back to ordinary petrol after running a few more full tanks.
    Will the cleaning properties have worked?
    Will your mpg stay at the higher level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

NO.. Bog standard for me
    vectra wrote: »
    So,
    Mixed results.
    ( I had almost 1/2 tank of Texaco in so cannot fully compare,
    I filled with Miles plus just before I left Fermoy on Tuesday.covered approx 600kms.
    First impressions are the car flt much more responsive, especially on motorway when I wanted to overtake. My wife even noticed it.
    Really happy with that part especially as it is is first tank ( mixed )
    Secondly,
    Some of the mpg possibly has to do with weather but the trip computer which is what I have been using since I bought it was showing 5.7/100~5.8/100 = between 48~50mpg.
    I do small mileage int total so I am going to continue using it and see how it goes.

OK
    So still using Miles plus on my car.

Fermoy to Ardee area and back = 5.2/100 = 54.32 mpg.
    I know weather has a bit to do with it but not 10mpg improvement,
    If I am getting 5mpg improvement I would be thrilled, even so, I am happy with the feel of the car they way it drives using it so I will continue with it for now.

On a side note, I am not familiar with station names but on the way home yesterday I was on the overtaking lane coming out from Dublin and I think the first ( Or only ) Circle K station I passed but had no hope of pulling in had Miles plus diesel for what looked like 138.9 L .
    Would have topped up had I been in the left lane. 8c per L cheaper than my local.

Atari Jaguar
    I know weather has a bit to do with it but not 10mpg improvement

I know the super-duper additive has a bit to do with it, but not even Topaz pretend it could deliver 10 mpg.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I know the super-duper additive has a bit to do with it, but not even Topaz pretend it could deliver 10 mpg.

Agreed,
    But I am comparing it to a crap diesel I mistakingly bought on one trip which only gave me 44 mpg.
    On regular topaz when I bought the car I was getting 52/53 mpg. So little or no improvement over that stuff to be honest, I like the better performance with the Miles Plus over the normal topaz diesel. And with the little mileage I do PA it will cost me very little to run it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Atari Jaguar
    As ambient temperatures have changed so much in the past month or so, I'd be very skeptical that it's the fuel that's making much difference with consumption. It would be more accurate to try it again in the same conditions next year, though that's easier said than done. I'd always see substantial differences in fuel consumption between summer and winter, regardless of the fuel I use (though I tend to stick to my local Maxol either way).

NO.. Bog standard for me
    As ambient temperatures have changed so much in the past month or so, I'd be very skeptical that it's the fuel that's making much difference with consumption. It would be more accurate to try it again in the same conditions next year, though that's easier said than done. I'd always see substantial differences in fuel consumption between summer and winter, regardless of the fuel I use (though I tend to stick to my local Maxol either way).

Do keep in mind, that the formulation of fuel differs in summer and winter.

Winter diesel is available from Nov 15th till March 15th.

Summer driving means using A/C and driving with windows open , not at the same time. . But some people choose to do so.

NO.. Bog standard for me

Bought the car early August 17,
    It was weeks following I continually got 52/53 mpg so weather then should have been still pretty warm.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

NO.. Bog standard for me
    We have a Subaru Outback 2.5 petrol which is very fussy about fuel quality, normal unleaded needs an additive like millers petrol plus octane boost otherwise the engine management light comes on within about half a tank of fuel.

Been running it on miles plus for the past few weeks and it's running much better, feels more eager and no lights. Will be sticking with it instead of additive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Apple have started 'the revolution' apparently with fuelgood.

http://www.applegreenstores.com/fuelgood/
    fuelgood
    At Applegreen we really are committed to giving you the very best at the very best price… always. And with fuelgood we’re proving it once more.
    Our most advanced fuel ever, at no extra cost; with fuelgood we’ve improved our Unleaded and Diesel base fuel with an additive to deliver a markedly enhanced product that’s better for your car, the environment and – best of all – at no extra cost to you
    The benefits
    Better for your pocket - save up to 4c a litre
    (more kilometres per litre equals more savings).
    Better for your engine – cleans your engine so it can perform better.
    Better for the environment - reduces harmful emissions.
    FAQ's

NO.. Bog standard for me
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    Do apple green give a free can of Coke and a pack of m&ms lol
    Small fella was delighted to go in to circle k and use the app for his free treats

On a serious note this will not go down well with circle k

Maybe Circle K need to up the ante and introduce hi octane fuel

Atari Jaguar
    Won't be long now before Maxol start some sort of new fuel if this Applegreen product is a success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'm now on I think my fifth tank of miles plus, I've done 345 miles so far and the trip computer claims I've averaging 38.6 mpg (probably a shade under 34 mpg really thanks to the hopelessly optimistic trip computer - but even that's still very impressive for what it is) on the current tank of fuel, again it must be remembered I pilot a six cylinder 2.5 petrol! I did South Dublin to North Kerry and back, at one point the trip computer had me up to 39.5 mpg (Limerick to Kerry was on the coast road so I wasn't exactly able to push the car there with the heavy traffic and whatnot).

It should be borne in mind that I haven't changed my driving style at all, and I got held up in the horrendous traffic leaving Dublin last Friday. I'm sure the fine weather helps an awful lot, but I still can't get over the improvements I've seen so far.

I'd love to see what it would do if they brought in higher RON fuel!

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Davy wrote: »
    Apple have started 'the revolution' apparently with fuelgood.

http://www.applegreenstores.com/fuelgood/FAQ's

Don't circle k say the same about their regular fuel 3% / 4¢

Applegreen are just making use of new additives , just like Circle K.

But Circle K still have an edge with their plus fuel.
    It won't be long before Maxol etc announce the same 4¢ .. but if everyone has the additives, then no-one has a competitive edge on standard fuel.

Anyway.. I'll be sticking with milesplus

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    It wouldn't surprise me if Applegreen were looking at introducing their own premium fuel. Judging by the fact that the new pumps for the "Fuelgood" have two petrol and two diesel nozzles each so perhaps the extra nozzles could be eventually used for a premium fuel.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if Applegreen were looking at introducing their own premium fuel. Judging by the fact that the new pumps for the "Fuelgood" have two petrol and two diesel nozzles each so perhaps the extra nozzles could be eventually used for a premium fuel.

I wonder who will be the first to introduce high ron fuel.
    ( circle k already have higher cetane diesel )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

First time filling up with miles plus. Got it with discount voucher, will keep an eye on it. Got another voucher when I was leaving. Hard to justify 7c difference if I was to buy without a voucher.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    First time filling up with miles plus. Got it with discount voucher, will keep an eye on it. Got another voucher when I was leaving. Hard to justify 7c difference if I was to buy without a voucher.

What voucher?
    I never got one with my fills :confused:

Atari Jaguar
    Applegreen are just making use of new additives , just like Circle K.

All branded fuel has additives which give better performance than no additives. Applegreen must have concluded that Topaz's advertising was working so they started a similar campaign. It doesn't mean they changed anything in the fuel itself.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    All branded fuel has additives which give better performance than no additives. Applegreen must have concluded that Topaz's advertising was working so they started a similar campaign. It doesn't mean they changed anything in the fuel itself.

would that not be false advertising that could be hugely damaging to them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

What voucher?
    I never got one with my fills :confused:

It was a promotion in Circle Q near Palmerstown today. I got one leaving as well from the nice guy behind the counter. :D

Atari Jaguar
    would that not be false advertising that could be hugely damaging to them?

What is false exactly?

Their fuel contains an additive which saves you 4c a litre as they advertise.

Same as it did last year except they didn't advertise that fact. Same as all branded fuel has for years.

NO.. Bog standard for me

What is false exactly?

Their fuel contains an additive which saves you 4c a litre as they advertise.

Same as it did last year except they didn't advertise that fact. Same as all branded fuel has for years.

I must have misunderstood you
    I thought you said they were advertising their normal fuel as one with an additive like Miles Plus.

Atari Jaguar
    I thought you said they were advertising their normal fuel as one with an additive like Miles Plus.

They all have additives! That's my point!

None of the brands sell the stuff which Topaz etc. compare with for their 3% extra or 4c less or whatever.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    They all have additives! That's my point!

None of the brands sell the stuff which Topaz etc. compare with for their 3% extra or 4c less or whatever.

I understand they all have additives.
    I would have thought with the announcement that Applegreen may now be putting in an additive to match CircleK Miles Plus.
    I got confused with your post. :D

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I understand they all have additives.
    I would have thought with the announcement that Applegreen may now be putting in an additive to match CircleK Miles Plus.
    I got confused with your post. :D

They are putting in additives to match the additives in miles petrol & Diesel.

The plus fuel has more additives again.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    So I've been using milesplus for the bones of a year, and i. dumped in some wynns injector cleaner 2 weeks ago...
    Anyway Mrs echo had my car today, and when she came home, I was asked if I had done something to the car.

She said that it felt as if it was in sport mode , even though it was in comfort.

Told her I was using fancy diesel, but she still thought I had upgraded it somehow.

The performance increase has been gradual, but enough for herself to notice.

As much of a believer I was before.
    Now I'm addicted to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭iHungry

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Long term maxol user so my first time filling up the old 5 series with the normal miles fuel and the car was feeling great. More responsive throttle and more torque lower down. We've had this car years so I can tell minute differences with it, it's not the gazebo effect. So then I filled up the work van with the normal miles diesel and it's going better too and one of my colleagues borrowed van and he said it too.

I can't wait to try the miles plus fuels

NO.. Bog standard for me
    iHungry wrote: »
    Long term maxol user so my first time filling up the old 5 series with the normal miles fuel and the car was feeling great. More responsive throttle and more torque lower down. We've had this car years so I can tell minute differences with it, it's not the gazebo effect. So then I filled up the work van with the normal miles diesel and it's going better too and one of my colleagues borrowed van and he said it too.
    I can't wait to try the miles plus fuels
    Applegreen will be rolling out their version of milesPlus soon

20180803_112010.jpg

This will be in conjunction with their current offering of fuelgood / fuel revolution much like topaz/Circle K started with miles, then added milesPlus.

Applegreen are taking out 2nossel pumps and replacing them with 4 nossel pumps, just like Topaz did before they offered the plus fuel.

Whos next on the premium superfuel bandwagon ?
    Edit: My Guess, is that TOP oil will be next to have a super premium fuel, given their recent negotiations with a certain Canadian company , and that companies recently acquired facility

I dont think the demand is there for every station to be offering it.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Applegreen will be rolling out their version of milesPlus soon

20180803_112010.jpg

This will be in conjunction with their current offering of fuelgood / fuel revolution much like topaz/Circle K started with miles, then added milesPlus.

Applegreen are taking out 2nossel pumps and replacing them with 4 nossel pumps, just like Topaz did before they offered the plus fuel.

Whos next on the premium superfuel bandwagon ?
    Edit: My Guess, is that TOP oil will be next to have a super premium fuel, given their recent negotiations with a certain Canadian company , and that companies recently acquired facility

I dont think the demand is there for every station to be offering it.

Competition is always good.
    Might start a price war :D

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Competition is always good.
    Might start a price war :D

it'll be interesting what performance (RON/Cetane) they (applegreen) claim for their Premium fuels and how much extra they charge.

As for a price war.. i don't think super premium will ever create a price war as its a minority that will buy it

NO.. Bog standard for me
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/canadians-ready-to-pump-millions-into-top-oil-takeover-llv865mcs

Irving Oil, a Canadian group that owns the Whitegate oil refinery in Cork, is finalising a takeover of Top Oil, a fuel group owned by the Reihill family.
    The acquisition of Top, which has a network of 180 filling stations and a large fuel import facility, is likely to be worth hundreds of millions of euros. Sources said talks between Irving and Top had been in train for some time and Irving executives visited facilities around the country in recent months as part of their due diligence.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I don't think there has been much more progress on the return of proper hi octane fuel here, but just to mention have been using Circle K miles plus and the applegreen Powerplus, and it seems to be the powerplus has the edge on Circle K.
    At least that's what I'm confident felt across many fills in my old 1.8T, not sure of any difference in the 1.4TSI yet but I'm just getting used to driving it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭koutoubia

At this stage I wont put anything but Miles Plus in the A6.
    Got stuck a few wheeks back and had to put some Maxol and then some Campus diesel in. Wont do it again.
    Noticeable drop on pick up and mpg on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Maxol now offering Premium Doesel 8c/L more than regular.
    Anyone tried it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement