Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More poking at the landlord means more BTL sales

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It will stop when the vulture funds own most or all privately rented properties, at least in the larger urban areas. The property is being funded by money coming from abroad, meaning Irish banks are not lending for it. This reduces their exposure to property. when the Irish banks have reduced their exposure to property sufficiently, they will then lend Irish people money to buy their property back from the vultures, paying far more for it than the vultures did in the first place. This is all about fixing the banks. The 3 year rent freeze is half over. The only reason for this messing is because it is intended to continue it.

Rents are too high, what will happen to alleviate this:
    Introduce a register so people will know they are being ripped off.

What will actually happen:
    Those who were charging less will realise they're short-changing themselves, and up their rents, increasing the average. Those who were overcharging, will also up theirs as they see the average rise. Rinse. Repeat. :mad:

What should happen:
    Build some more houses/apartments. Get more people buying their own places, and out of the rental stock of houses. Decreases demand and rents will fall/stay static.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Those who were charging less will realise they're short-changing themselves, and up their rents, increasing the average. Those who were overcharging, will also up theirs as they see the average rise. Rinse. Repeat. :mad:

What should happen:
    Build some more houses/apartments. Get more people buying their own places, and out of the rental stock of houses. Decreases demand and rents will fall/stay static.

Second point above - Absolutely not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What should happen:

I think landlords now know there is no point in not increasing rent year on year. If they leave it they get penalised when it comes to sell.not to mention the lost additional rent

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It will stop when the vulture funds own most or all privately rented properties, at least in the larger urban areas. The property is being funded by money coming from abroad, meaning Irish banks are not lending for it. This reduces their exposure to property. when the Irish banks have reduced their exposure to property sufficiently, they will then lend Irish people money to buy their property back from the vultures, paying far more for it than the vultures did in the first place. This is all about fixing the banks. The 3 year rent freeze is half over. The only reason for this messing is because it is intended to continue it.

What does a vulture fund do?

• Advertisement

Why not? By definition, half of the LLs in a given complex will be charging below the average. At least a portion of these are likely to increase rent if they become aware that your man next door is charging €250pm more than him. Once it's within the limits owing to the RPZ rules, those at the higher end will follow suit as they realise they are getting closer to the average.

Edit: Forgot to add, I will eat my hat if this measure causes rents to fall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Why not? By definition, half of the LLs in a given complex will be charging below the average. At least a portion of these are likely to increase rent if they become aware that your man next door is charging €250pm more than him. Once it's within the limits owing to the RPZ rules, those at the higher end will follow suit as they realise they are getting closer to the average.

I agree that these measures will not cause any drops in price but the Gov has set declines in the rate of increase as the bar for success, so they can claim (wrongly) the polices are working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Don't see anything to encourage the landlord. All anti landlord measures. Result less landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Fewer landlords, presumably means more housing put on the market though? No. Which is presumably what Murphy wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

The houses put on the market as a result of Government policy will not be bought by those who are renting. The result is less houses for rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Murphy hasn’t a clue....end of

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

This news today prompted me to contact local estate agents about selling up. Just feel its one thing after another. I am lucky that I have a good tenant (friend), charge them below market rate and they keep the place well. While its tough on the tenant (they'll easily have to pay 500 more to find a similar property) I just don't want the hassle of it all anymore. I've always been a good landlord to tenants (got cleared out and screwed once, hence renting to a friend now). Never wanted to be a landlord but marriage and life changed things so hopefully I can break even or make a few quid now and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Murphy hasn’t a clue....end of

He was on radio 1 at lunchtime, and said this new bill he is bringing forward will increase the amount of larger professional landlords, which is FGs plan all along

He was on radio 1 at lunchtime, and said this new bill he is bringing forward will increase the amount of larger professional landlords, which is FGs plan all along

so get rid of anybody wanting to live off somthing other than the miserible state pension

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

so get rid of anybody wanting to live off somthing other than the miserible state pension

state pension here is far better than in the UK..

Graces7 wrote: »

We dont live in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

This is absolutely disgraceful governments attacking Landlords for the complete
    sham of a housing market.

I am one of those accidential Landlords , for health reasons moved down the country and let out my own 3 bed apartment quite a high spec over the last
    4 years. Tenanted twice and both tenancy were problem some,the first
    tenancy causing a fire in one of the rooms and letting kid run amok in the apartment damaging quite alot of the furniture and the second Joint tenancy
    with consent late payments ,bad attitude from them before finally giving them
    an eviction notice.

Hope to be moving back to the apartment in Dublin and will never in a million years let in out as a full tenancy again. I will look at airbnb or letting a room out
    14k per year tax free and "I have no reason to sell it on the open market" "So
    1 less 3 bed in Dublin. (The boat has sailed for single Landlords to benefit from
    letting out there private residence and I would strongly advise anybody else doing it).

Government interference and rent control don't work in any economic market
    so why these Draconian Laws, this will not encourage more Landlords to the market or sell up......Eoghan Murphy needs to be sacked for his utter incompetence and replaced with some other Minister that can actually to the job.He completely wilted under pressure......FFS get him out.

Also these Housing bodies like Threshold and some left wing Politicians that are encouraging people to break the Law and overhold are actually doing FG a favour as this will only encourage more Vulture Funds to take over the market and increasing rents well over the 4% mark as these parasites pay no tax and aren't governed by the RTB rules.......Heaven forbid we are in for a complete lock down on properties in the large cities.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Graces7 wrote: »

What point are you trying to make?
    This is an Irish website- discussing Irish property policies and experiences.
    It has nothing whatsoever to do with the UK- period.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

To be honest I've been beating the drum of these measure causing less LL's but frankly I'm changing my mind. Would I hang on to my rental if it clears what I paid for it in 2006? Probably not - the regime would have to be pretty pro LL or the taxation near nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Don't see why anybody would have a problem with publishing statistics on prices, however, it should be done as €/sqm (which will, of course, require floor area to become mandatory information). Anything else, like €/unit or even €/3-bed-semi would be utterly meaningless, and would be more likely to end up as you predict.

PS: Your definition of average is actually the definition of median.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

hognef wrote: »
    Don't see why anybody would have a problem with publishing statistics on prices, however, it should be done as €/sqm (which will, of course, require floor area to become mandatory information). Anything else, like €/unit or even €/3-bed-semi would be utterly meaningless, and would be more likely to end up as you predict.

PS: Your definition of average is actually the definition of median.

The problem with publishing statistics on prices is that you could have 2 identical properties beside each other ,on paper may appear the same (same unit equal size) but one is a kip and the other is 4 star ,people start moaning OH! the 4 star is overcharging and robbing us.

You can't compare all 1/2/3/4 bed units as alot differ from each other in size and also in management fees plus North/south/west/east direction all play a part in buying from Developers so why is it any different to renting.Alot
    of the Celtic Tiger apartments exaggerated sq/metre size calculating L shaped rooms as square shaped and also uncluding balconies and terraces as living space.

Government would need to set up another Regulatory Body to check sizes and giving past experiences checking 1 apartment a week would be deemed hard work to them.....Good Luck with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

ie Vulture funds
    Ya sure that's just what hard-pressed tenants need ...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jail next! Not a mention on rogue tenants who actually damage a valuable asset or withhold rent.
    https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/rogue-landlords-face-15000-fines-and-prison-terms-36817757.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- if this isn't a clarion call to get the hell out of property- I'm not sure what is.
    However bad the current regulatory environment is- there is a further world of hurt coming down the road.

Guys- if this isn't a clarion call to get the hell out of property- I'm not sure what is.
    However bad the current regulatory environment is- there is a further world of hurt coming down the road.

100% agree, 3 estate agents got back to me yesterday and I was really surprised by their guesstimates for my property. Delighted as it looks like I can now bail. Who in their right mind would want to be in this game with an asset you have absolutely no control over whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

Yes the Minister for Housing has made my decision for me to sell up. I consider myself a good landlord but I am not going to put myself at risk of heavy fines (although I have always been compliant).
    Tough for the tenants out there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The minimum loan amount is €50,000

These are ther terms for BTL's from Ulster bank. It would seem that it is almost impossible to become a landlord now, without substantial cash sums. There is clearly a concerted push to move over to institutional landlording.

"The minimum value of property to be mortgaged is €85,000

The maximum mortgage available is up to 50% of purchase price or the value of the property, whichever is lower

If the property being purchased is in the cities of Dublin, Cork, Galway or Limerick the maximum loan to value is 70%

The maximum number of properties financed by Ulster Bank is 3 and the maximum number in portfolio is 5

Your maximum portfolio cannot exceed €1,000,000

Properties for which funds will not normally be advanced:
    - one-bedroom properties
    - agricultural properties
    - business premises
    - flats (on any level) in multi-storey type property i.e. in excess of 5 stories, unless the property is predominately in
    private ownership
    - multiple tenancies e.g. a house or flat with several bedrooms, occupied by a number of individuals sharing common
    facilities such as kitchen and bathroom etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea this will just further the exodus from landlord holdings we’ve seen over the past years. With only a small portion of these housing going back to rentals the rental stock is getting less and less thus driving prices north.

We need a functioning rental market and currently it’s not functioning for landlords, one sided legislation and excessive taxation are driving out landlords. I know a guy who has sold most of his properties and he says the money is better just sitting in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

4ensic15 wrote: »

Properties for which funds will not normally be advanced:
    - multiple tenancies e.g. a house or flat with several bedrooms, occupied by a number of individuals sharing common
    facilities such as kitchen and bathroom etc."

Jeeeesus Ulster Bank is protecting itself.

I used these types of rented rooms for years moving about for work, renting a room in a house direct from a landlord who lived elsewhere.

If these disappear, thats a serious amount of flexibility accommodation going from the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

Part4s Registered in 2016 will expire in 2020 interesting to see how many will not renew as the new part4 now is for 6 years, comes with a heap of admin and now possible conviction
    I am not renewing any part4s have moved to alternative letting and selling some, looking at the UK market.
    Are the current institutional landlords playing ball and waiting to have a monopoly would this be dangerous?
    Didn’t that clown Haligan say Landlords should go to prison…

Advertisement