Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueberry companion plants

Options
  • 17-04-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I could plant with blueberries?

I have a 2.5x4ft bed, about a foot high with two blueberries in it. I want to maximize the area (fruit/veg or bee and butterfly friendly plants) while also reducing the amount of maintenance required. It's looking a little bare at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I went with Muscari bulbs. I'm working on the theory that the bulbs won't compete too much with the blueberry root system, and give me colour before the blueberries leaf out.

They look OK, if a bit monocultural. Might dig up a few and swap some different things in next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thanks lumen, I'll have a look into them!

Edit: just had a look at them there and they are gorgeous flowers! I think that blue berry bed will become the blue bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They look a bit more exciting in close-up pinterest-type shots than they do in real life!

https://imgur.com/a/2r77d

This is only the first season though. Maybe they'll improve. They were an impulse buy in November-ish I threw in after planting the blueberries.

Advertisement