Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New table not available for months/sold under false pretenses

Options
  • 17-04-2018 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭

So I bought a new kitchen table back end Jan. 25% deposit was paid at the time of purchase. Was told it would be available at the end of March. Been ringing/ calling to the store a few times since mid-march to get an answer on when it will be available.

Got talking with customer service today and they have told me that the storehave been chasing this supplier for 6 months to deliver !!! :eek:

I think the store should not have been selling goods in end Jan when I bought as they were already 3 months chasing deliveries.

I feel they have sold under false pretenses. We've already sold our old kitchen table that this was to replace.

What are our options here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Ask them for your money back and buy elsewhere would be the obvious remedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Diziet wrote: »
    Ask them for your money back and buy elsewhere would be the obvious remedy.

Yeah, I think that much is a given.

Wondering is there somebody (external body) to make a complaint to about it? Or any legal remedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Pointless trying to go any higher than the store when you haven't even asked the store for your money back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

daheff wrote: »
    Yeah, I think that much is a given.

Wondering is there somebody (external body) to make a complaint to about it? Or any legal remedy?

to what end?

to what end?

Selling goods they knowingly cannot provide in the agreed timeframe. We have a contract of sale (money has passed) which they cannot complete. AFAIK the directors are breaking the law by allowing the company enter into such a contract.

I also bought the table on sale passing up others at sale times. Looking to buy again now would mean i would then have to pay a higher price.

Whatever about the second part, the first part is what really gets me. Effectively I'm (and others who bought this product) are bankrolling their working capital.

• Advertisement

You signed a contract. your remedies are in that contract. what does the contract say about failure to deliver?

You signed a contract. your remedies are in that contract. what does the contract say about failure to deliver?

thats a good point. must look that up.

but what if there are no remedies mentioned?

well then ask them for your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

get your deposit back and move on - it really is as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Why wouldnt you just ask for you money back and move on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

If you get your money back you can buy a different table.
    If you feel the shop has let you down, you can do so in another shop.

However it sounds likely the supplier has let the shop down. You think the shop should have been more pro-active in letting you know about supply chain issues - i get that.

But are you seeking punitive damages here? Because that's what it sounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Telly wrote: »
    Why wouldnt you just ask for you money back and move on?

because compensation and all that... cant you see the terrible hardship they have suffered?! Probably eating their dinner on the kitchen floor the poor divils.. I'd call Joe :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yeah, just ask for your money back. If they refuse, then start looking at consumer bodies. If you go straight to complaint without even seeking your money back, you won't be entertained.

So I had a look at their T&Cs last night. Funnily enough, I can only cancel the order now if they agree to it. Otherwise I lose my deposit.

Homer wrote: »
    because compensation and all that... cant you see the terrible hardship they have suffered?! Probably eating their dinner on the kitchen floor the poor divils.. I'd call Joe :cool:

We're not far off it. We sold our old table mid march as we were still being told new table would be delivered end march/first week April. So now we have the old patio furniture out.

So I had a look at their T&Cs last night. Funnily enough, I can only cancel the order now if they agree to it. Otherwise I lose my deposit.

We're not far off it. We sold our old table mid march as we were still being told new table would be delivered end march/first week April. So now we have the old patio furniture out.

have you asked them to return you deposit?

have you asked them to return you deposit?

yes

standard...sorry its taken longer than we would have liked. Expect delivery in July.

People are getting hung up on the deposit part. My main query is about the selling under false pretenses. Who would I complain to about that? Advertising standards authority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

You were told the first week in April? Is this written on the contract ?
    Your table is almost two weeks late, you need to contact a solicitor immediatly to see if they can force the store to financially compensate you for this outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

yes

standard...sorry its taken longer than we would have liked. Expect delivery in July.

People are getting hung up on the deposit part. My main query is about the selling under false pretenses. Who would I complain to about that? Advertising standards authority?

It seems to be outside their remit but you could try.
    http://www.asai.ie/make-a-complaint/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

My main query is about the selling under false pretenses.

What false pretenses? A supplier let them down.

yes

can you establish that at the time they sold the table to you that they knew they could not deliver at the end of march?

What does your receipt actually say? does it have a delivery date on it?

• Advertisement

can you establish that at the time they sold the table to you that they knew they could not deliver at the end of march?

they told me on the phone a couple of days ago that they have been having problems getting deliveries from this supplier for 6 months (ie 4 before I bought & 2 after). To any reasonable person they shouldn't be telling potential customers that they can honor deliveries.

They also say they record phonecalls to customer service lines.

What does your receipt actually say? does it have a delivery date on it?

In comments it says "delivery end April" April is crossed out and March written beside it (As I queried this with the sales guy at point of sale because he told us end March).

To any reasonable person they shouldn't be telling potential customers that they can honor deliveries.

Why wouldn't they? Suppliers are late all the time, there is no false advertising there.

Just ask for your money back and move on.

In comments it says "delivery end April" April is crossed out and March written beside it (As I queried this with the sales guy at point of sale because he told us end March).

if the receipt says end of march then press them to return your deposit. if you want to go further you need to go to SCC.

they told me on the phone a couple of days ago that they have been having problems getting deliveries from this supplier for 6 months (ie 4 before I bought & 2 after). To any reasonable person they shouldn't be telling potential customers that they can honor deliveries.

They also say they record phonecalls to customer service lines.

i dont really want to labour the point but they might have had the expectation that their supplier problems could be resolved before your item was due to be delivered. I really can't see how you can take this part of it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Who would I complain to about that? Advertising standards authority?

You complain with your feet - that has always been and always will be the way to correct issues like this.

Wanting to spend hours writing a complain and following up on it is a complete and utter waste of everyone's time including your own.

Looking at other posts, you seem to be very unlucky with a lot of companies over the year and maybe you just expect too much.

I simply cancel and don't use any company that does not meet a reasonable standard of service and I never dwell on it. It really is that simple and there are far far far more important things in life.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Looking at other posts, you seem to be very unlucky with a lot of companies over the year and maybe you just expect too much.

really cant see how you see this???

Why wouldn't they? Suppliers are late all the time, there is no false advertising there.

Maybe they are always late, but if i'm buying off a supplier who is then 4 months late in deliveries...in my company we stop dealing with them and stop taking orders from customers.

In any case selling under false pretenses is different to false advertising.

Maybe they are always late, but if i'm buying off a supplier who is then 4 months late in deliveries...in my company we stop dealing with them and stop taking orders from customers.

In any case selling under false pretenses is different to false advertising.

In any case this isn't what happened here. Just ask for your money back and get on with your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Get your deposit back and get a table somewhere else

Advertisement