Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spike Lavender

Options
  • 17-04-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to find Spike Lavender seeds for some time now in Ireland but so far have been unsuccessful. When I see them online, they are out of stock.

Would anyone know of a Garden Centre that has these, either seeds or the plants themselves?

It is the Lavandula Latifolia I am looking for, not the more common Lavandula Angustifolia.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

If it's what I think it is, then it's Sea Lavender. No idea where you'd get it in Ireland, but you can get it on line from Chiltern Seeds in the UK. Used them many times for unusual stuff and had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

If it's what I think it is, then it's Sea Lavender. No idea where you'd get it in Ireland, but you can get it on line from Chiltern Seeds in the UK. Used them many times for unusual stuff and had no problems.

Thank you. Sea lavender is not what I am looking for (despite the name, it is not even a real lavender :p)

I have checked the site but they do not have what I am looking for. Interesting selection they have so I will bookmark it for future use.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I never thought about looking on Amazon. These seem to be the ones I am looking for. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I have had a miserable experience with lavender in the last few years (north Dublin coast); first planted a bed of French lavender and they lasted 2 years, then (thinking they would be hardier) replaced with English Lavender, and again after about two years they are looking pretty sorry for them selves. This is despite being located on a south facing slope in full sunshine, and being pruned according to instruction, so if OP has success with Spike lavender let us know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bixy wrote: »
    I have had a miserable experience with lavender in the last few years (north Dublin coast); first planted a bed of French lavender and they lasted 2 years, then (thinking they would be hardier) replaced with English Lavender, and again after about two years they are looking pretty sorry for them selves. This is despite being located on a south facing slope in full sunshine, and being pruned according to instruction, so if OP has success with Spike lavender let us know!

I have 20 French in a bed and replaced half of them last year as they had gone woody.

4 of the new ones are very unhealthy looking already....bloody snow I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

bigar wrote: »
    I have been trying to find Spike Lavender seeds for some time now in Ireland but so far have been unsuccessful. When I see them online, they are out of stock.

Would anyone know of a Garden Centre that has these, either seeds or the plants themselves?

It is the Lavandula Latifolia I am looking for, not the more common Lavandula Angustifolia.

Thank you for your help.

I got these a few years back from Griffin garden center in Cork if thats any good to you! Great plant, you can smell it all over the garden and great for the bees too, I pull up a few roots every year and keep them in the greenhouse, as heavy frost seems to kill it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Lavender likes limey soil. So, won't do so well in bogland or anyplace that heather grows well.

It's fairly hardy but not keen on very low temperatures such as we had this winter.

It always goes woody, best defense is to keep it in bounds by delicate snipping throughout the year - but it is often a short-lived plant and likely to need renewing; which is fairly easy to do by rooting cuttings. (take plenty, a few will strike)

I've even had lavender self-seed in gravel; from a big round bush of Munstead Blue that lasted for about ten years before it got stiff and grey and lost heart.

The Spike Lavender is like a magnet for bees :-) Happy summertimes!

Advertisement