Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transferring my existing Registered Business Name to my new Company

• 17-04-2018 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I wonder if anyone has any advice on the process of transferring a Registered Business Name (RBN) used while I have been a sole trader to my new limited company.

I set up in business as a sole trader last year and registered a business name. I've built up a bit of business under that RBN but now it makes sense for me to set up a limited company. I tried to set up the company under the same name as the RBN but the CRO wouldn't let me presumably because I already had it as an RBN.

I have set the company up under a different name but wish to continue to trade as the RBN as that is how my clients and others in the industry have gotten to know me - my website presence is in that name etc. However, it seems that I have to cease trading and submit forms to that effect to the CRO in order for the company to be able to take over the trading name.

I figured I cannot possibly be the only person that this has happened to and am asking if anyone out there has experience of anything similar. All advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

Simply put " xyz1 ltd trading as .. name you have already. "

Gets you ltd status and keeps the benefits of the brand already created.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 travellingkitty

Thanks westgolf - do I not have to move ownership of the RBN to the limited company?
    AIB said they cannot have the trading name on the company account unless it is registered to the company and not to me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

You don't own a business name, you merely use it, the company can file a RBN form and buy the rights to use it too.

But the question is why didn't the CRO let you form a company with that name, if there is already a company in existence with that name, that out ranks any business name in any court case, they could easily prevent you from using that name.

Advertisement