Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

currency exchange for customers only!

• 17-04-2018 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Was away in England and have about 50 pound left, Que in ulster bank for half an hour to change back to euros and the teller asks for account number.
    Dont have an account.
    Sorry we only change currency for ulster bank account holders.
    really?
    yes all the banks do this now
    you can charge me commission if you want
    sorry, who do you bank with?
    ptsb
    they will change it for you.

This cant be the norm? Is it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Seems fair enough to me

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Welcome to banking in Ireland in 2018! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Revolut is your best option here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

thunderdog wrote: »
    Revolut is your best option here.

People still use banks for this stuff?
    In my experience they offer the worst rates, the ‘no commission’ thing is a con when the rate is crap.

Either way, Revolut all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

How is OP's best option revolut? Revolut does not accept cash so he won't be able to convert his pound notes into euro notes.

Unfortunately most banks these days only will do currency exchange only for their own customers, so you will have to either keep it or go to any of those money exchange places like 1st currency, ICE etc. which will give you a horrible rate.

Saving it for the next trip might be the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

No big deal really. So long since I needed to use foreign exchange or q in a bank, just thought it weird that u cannot walk into a random bank with cash and change it. Times change I suppose. Banks don’t want to earn profit changing currency fair enough.
    Thanks random internet people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

How is OP's best option revolut? Revolut does not accept cash so he won't be able to convert his pound notes into euro notes.

Not to derail too much but the Revolut card is contactless, the OP would never have had to take the physical cash out in the first place. Any balance left in the account can be converted back to euro (commission free at interbank rate) and sent back to bank account (or changed to dollar, bitcoin, whatever takes fancy and left in the account for a bit of speculation :D)

Advertisement