Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Car hire

Options
  • 17-04-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all just a quick question. Looking for information on the possibility of car hire for a holiday to France. Has anyone ever rented a car in Ireland and gone to France, are there any car rental companies in Ireland that allow this and is it expensive.
    Thanks in advance
    Darren.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

It's not the done thing - much easier to fly to wherever you're going and rent a car there, usually at the airport. Cheaper and you have a left hand drive which is more suited (i.e. safer) to driving on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There is usually a very large charge for cross border travel. €500 in the case of Enterprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

There is usually a very large charge for cross border travel. €500 in the case of Enterprise.

That's if you return the car in France. No charge to take it there and back I believe?

eeguy wrote: »
    That's if you return the car in France. No charge to take it there and back I believe?

€500 just to cross the border with it, you still have to drop it back to Swords (in my case). No charge for up North, but same charge if you take it to anywhere else in the UK.

That's interesting - I rented a car from Enterprise in Germany at the end of last year and returned it to Charles De Gaulle airport but I wasn't aware of any extra charge. I didn't pay for it as it was work related - I drove it through Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and France.

edit: some posts while I was typing this - my reply was to Sam T.

• Advertisement

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    That's interesting - I rented a car from Enterprise in Germany at the end of last year and returned it to Charles De Gaulle airport but I wasn't aware of any extra charge. I didn't pay for it as it was work related - I drove it through Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and France.

edit: some posts while I was typing this - my reply was to Sam T.

Most car rental places are franchises, certainly any different companies with different T&Cs in different countries. Enterprise Ireland have a €500 cross border fee. There was almost certainly a charge for dropping the car back to a different location, I've never heard of a rental company that didn't charge for that, but that's different to a cross border fee.

Most car rental places are franchises, certainly any different companies with different T&Cs in different countries. Enterprise Ireland have a €500 cross border fee. There was almost certainly a charge for dropping the car back to a different location, I've never heard of a rental company that didn't charge for that, but that's different to a cross border fee.

On a slightly tangential point wait until NI is outside the EU.

IF it's ever outside the EU at this rate :pac:

IF it's ever outside the EU at this rate :pac:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

A temporary Aussie work colleague in the UK last year rented a car in Dublin for a (5-day :pac: )tour of Ireland. She was stung for several hundred euro for an "International Drop-off" in Belfast. When she was booking, she hadn't seen the border just south of Belfast. :D

• Advertisement

Not being flippant and in reply to the OP the ferry fare would easily outweigh any of the costs mentioned above. There's genuinely a lot of expertise and know how on here and people willing to help - what are you aiming to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Possibly something to do with luggage and comfort/convenience? If you're planning to take (or bring back) anything big or heavy, then the extra charges on a flight combined with the hassle of getting to and from an airport could make it an attractive option. At the moment, I'm weighing up the costs and benefits of flight versus ferry to get to Dublin in the autumn. It's already a three-hour trip for me to nearest suitable airport, and the return service is discontinued a few days before I want to return. I can make it worth my while to drive the 1000km by bringing a load of stuff from France over to family in Dublin, and fill the car with Tayto and teabags on the return leg ...

Since reading this thread earlier in the day, I've remembered that I hired a van in the past to do several trips over to England. I did ask at the time if it would be OK to leave the country and was told it was OK. No supplement other than for the thousands of kms, most of which were racked up on the van's home territory.

Advertisement