Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice drive on a Sunday for example

Options
  • 17-04-2018 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Live in Drumcondra and must go for a spin some Sunday, where would people recommend, somewhere not mad busy but more or less anywhere else within an hours drive say. Be looking at somewhere coastal and scenic with a nice place to eat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Warper wrote: »
    Live in Drumcondra and must go for a spin some Sunday, where would people recommend, somewhere not mad busy but more or less anywhere else within an hours drive say. Be looking at somewhere coastal and scenic with a nice place to eat

What about Skerries?

Edit: or Ardgillan House. The views from Ardgillan are lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭anndub

Malahide/Portmarnock. Park at the malahide end and walk along the coastal path to portmarnock strand. Take a break and walk back toward Malahide stopping in the Gourmet Food Parlour about half way for a bite to eat. Also lots of nice restaurants in Malahide.

The coastal walk from Donabate strand to Portrane is also lovely and much quieter but food options are scarce there.

Skerries probably ticks all the boxes too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Carlingford - a little bit outside the hour, but very scenic and full of restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Glendalough would be little over an hour using the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Howth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Howth.

Unless good weather causes hour long traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

tricky D wrote: »

As long as you set out early in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Rush . Lovely walk on the south beach then lunch in the Harbour Bar

Clogherhead beach is a lovely walk too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

whiskeyman wrote: »
    As long as you set out early in the day.

Aye never had an issue early in the day and heading back early PM usually after a nice fish and chip lunch it's not too bad.

Alternatively park up somewhere like Kilbarrack and get the DART in. Although that possibly defeats the OPs point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

People mentioning Portmarnock and Howth are wrong, they're lovely places but you obviously don't live out this way.

Come summer months and sunny weekend and the place is jammed and parking is difficult.

It can be quite cold too.

I left work in the Phoenix Park at noon today and the temp gauge on my bike was reading 21c, the closer I got to Portmarnock that figure was dropping rapidly. By the time I got onto the coast road it was reading 13.5c.

And the wind on the piers in Howth would cut you in half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I like driving along the coast around killiney and dalkey. Scenic and lots of millionaires mansions to gawk at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

tricky D wrote: »

Maybe better going by DART. Dun Laoghaire seafront is nice too perhaps go to Monkstown aswell where there's plenty of nice redtaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

If you are able for a bit of uphill walking, I would recommend parking in Crone Forest Car Park, which is near the entrance to Powerscourt Waterfall, and then walking up the zig-zag forest road (part of the Wicklow Way) which gives you views over the waterfall. (As for something to eat, you'd have to bring a sandwich or something, or you could stop in Enniskerry on the way back.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭francois

Trim castle is under an hour away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

People mentioning Portmarnock and Howth are wrong, they're lovely places but you obviously don't live out this way.

Come summer months and sunny weekend and the place is jammed and parking is difficult.

It can be quite cold too.

I left work in the Phoenix Park at noon today and the temp gauge on my bike was reading 21c, the closer I got to Portmarnock that figure was dropping rapidly. By the time I got onto the coast road it was reading 13.5c.

And the wind on the piers in Howth would cut you in half.

Just remember that the temp gauge on a bike factors in the wind too, going into a headwind means it'll drop like a stone ;)

For the OP, the Military Road down to Laragh is a good bet, just watch out for the folk on bikes struggling up the hill to earn the views the honest way

P_1 wrote: »
    Just remember that the temp gauge on a bike factors in the wind too, going into a headwind means it'll drop like a stone ;)

No it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Decent drive - M50 to Sandyford exit, head to Stepaside, then to glencullen (stop off at Johnny foxes), then to enniskerry, powerscourt waterfall, onwards to bray seafront, then coast road to killiney, dalkey, dunlaoghaire, Blackrock and over eastlink and home.

Hundreds of great stopping points to suit all age groups.

No it doesn't.

Ah fair enough, thought it was the same for all bike computers

Ah fair enough, thought it was the same for all bike computers

Are you talking about a motorbike or bicycle?.

My Garmin cycling computer doesn't have a temp gauge, but my motorbike has. Not sure where the sensor is on the motorbike (my last few motorbikes have had temp gauges).

Anyway :)

I love the coast out here, but if I'm looking for somewhere on a sunny day I'd head for a park instead of the beach, but I get why people love the beaches too.

Are you talking about a motorbike or bicycle?.

My Garmin cycling computer doesn't have a temp gauge, but my motorbike has. Not sure where the sensor is on the motorbike (my last few motorbikes have had temp gauges).

Anyway :)

I love the coast out here, but if I'm looking for somewhere on a sunny day I'd head for a park instead of the beach, but I get why people love the beaches too.

Ah I was talking about a Garmin for a bicycle (when it's up on the mount it's pretty exposed to any wind). I'd guess that a sensor on a motorbike wouldn't be as exposed to the wind so a temperature drop on it would be fairly accurate.

• Advertisement

Ah I was talking about a Garmin for a bicycle (when it's up on the mount it's pretty exposed to any wind). I'd guess that a sensor on a motorbike wouldn't be as exposed to the wind so a temperature drop on it would be fairly accurate.

I thought you might have been talking about a Garmin alright. Like I said, my Garmin doesn't have a temp gauge. I'm just using the Garmin Edge 200, its a few years old and pretty basic now.

Tracking most rides, and all my runs on a Polar M400 these days.

Wrong forum, but heck. Hope you're getting out for a few nice rides in this lovely weather :D

Advertisement