Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manager of the year

• 17-04-2018 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Guardiola will more than likely get this but would love to see Sean Dyche get it, outstanding job he has done and could finish 6th yet. Non exsistent budget, conceded very little, solid through out and made Turf Moor a very tough place to go to.
    Benitez on course for a top 10 finish with a really poor Newcastle squad and a tight fisted owner.
    Klopp, 3rd in the league, thrilling football and potentially could be in a CL final.

Honorable mention for Eddie Howe and Carlos Carvahal too.

Who is your manager of the year 231 votes

Pep Guardiola
    0% 0 votes
    Sean Dyche
    22% 52 votes
    Rafa Benitez
    45% 106 votes
    Jurgen Klopp
    13% 32 votes
    other
    17% 41 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Klopp for me. Other than Salah he has a bang average team who he has performing way above their level. Firmino has more than twice the amount of goals he has managed in his two previous seasons in the league. Salah has twice the amount of goals he managed anywhere in his career. The two young full backs he's brought through have been fearless. I don't think any other manager would have them where they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Stephen Kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll wait until the Champions League semi final is over at the very least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll wait until the Champions League semi final is over at the very least!

That's why I said potentially a CL final

Klopp for me. Other than Salah he has a bang average team who he has performing way above their level. Firmino has more than twice the amount of goals he has managed in his two previous seasons in the league. Salah has twice the amount of goals he managed anywhere in his career. The two young full backs he's brought through have been fearless. I don't think any other manager would have them where they are.

I don't agree they are bang average but I agree another manager wouldn't have Liverpool near where they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Dyche or Benitez for me.

Leaning towards Benitez right now but if Burnley finish 6th and get EL football, then it's Dyche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably need to give it a few more weeks because a lot can change if say Klopp wins the CL and gets a top 4 place then he will have a huge shout for it or if Burnley finish 6th and get European football then Dyche may deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Football's a funny old game. Last season Liverpool finished fourth and United were sixth; currently with a month to go in the season United are second and sit a point ahead of Liverpool with a game in hand and could conceivably finish the season with silverware, while Liverpool could wind up empty-handed. And yet the consistent narrative has been that Jose has had a poor season (he doesn't get a mention in the poll) while Klopp is considered manager of the season material.

Personally I think an award like this should go to a manager that exceeds expectations. The ones who fit that bill at present I would say are Guardiola (who fancied them to win it so comfortably?), Dyche (amazing what he's done with the squad) and Rafa (has made the most of very limited resources). If they survive, I think Eddie Howe, David Wagner and Roy Hodgson will all warrant a mention.

I think if Klopp wins Liverpool the Champions League he would merit the award because that would be the biggest example of exceeding expectations of any of them. A lot can change between now and the next four weeks but as it stands at the moment I think I'd lean towards Guardiola deserving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I don't think what happens in Europe is taken into consideration when they decide this is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Between Pep and Dyche, honourable mentions for Rafa and Eddie Howe. I'd give it to Pep, blew the opposition away and if he beats the all the time record, surely it's his.

Jesus I was shocked that Klopp was getting so many early votes and accidentally clicked Klopp! Can that be changed to Pep by a mod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If its based on the PL alone it should be Dyche.

Football's a funny old game. Last season Liverpool finished fourth and United were sixth; currently with a month to go in the season United are second and sit a point ahead of Liverpool with a game in hand and could conceivably finish the season with silverware, while Liverpool could wind up empty-handed. And yet the consistent narrative has been that Jose has had a poor season (he doesn't get a mention in the poll) while Klopp is considered manager of the season material.

Personally I think an award like this should go to a manager that exceeds expectations. The ones who fit that bill at present I would say are Guardiola (who fancied them to win it so comfortably?), Dyche (amazing what he's done with the squad) and Rafa (has made the most of very limited resources). If they survive, I think Eddie Howe, David Wagner and Roy Hodgson will all warrant a mention.

I think if Klopp wins Liverpool the Champions League he would merit the award because that would be the biggest example of exceeding expectations of any of them. A lot can change between now and the next four weeks but as it stands at the moment I think I'd lean towards Guardiola deserving it.

It's cos Mourinho plays shi'tball all too often, the points are on the board but even Man Utd supporters are tearing their hair out during and after many games.
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    I don't think what happens in Europe is taken into consideration when they decide this is it?

Not the LMA award no, but there is a UEFA Coach of the Year award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Right now it is guardiola. GE has been he best. If dyche gets el I think he would be a huge shout for it. If klopp wins the cl he will be another huge shout and might just pip dyche to it. I know Europe isn't suppose to matter but it does feature in the thoughts when deciding. The title winning manager is always the one that should be favourite for it. But there has been sentiment the last few years to look at managers who are over achieving and not necessarily ones that bought a league. That is not a dig at any club. Just an opinion on teams overachieving like burnley on a shoestring.

But unless the other two can meet their targets, it's pep for me and I imagine the ones voting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Fromvert wrote: »

Jesus I was shocked that Klopp was getting so many early votes and accidentally clicked Klopp! Can that be changed to Pep by a mod?

A lot of Liverpool fans on forum to be fair.

Pep for me. Closely followed by Dyches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No Poch?

Spent significantly less than anyone of the club's above Spurs, in an FA Cup semi-final, playing attractive football, most likely comfortably top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Pep

Followed by Benitez followed by Dyche

Spent significantly less than anyone of the club's above Spurs, in an FA Cup semi-final, playing attractive football, most likely comfortably top 4.

Have spurs pushed on this year though? They are playing well but I wouldn't class it as an improvement.

Newcastle have improved a huge deal. Maybe Rafa is a good shout.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Have spurs pushed on this year though? They are playing well but I wouldn't class it as an improvement.

Newcastle have improved a huge deal. Maybe Rafa is a good shout.

To be fair Poch is worth a shout too considering they are playing away from WHL the whole season too.

A lot of Liverpool fans on forum to be fair.

Pep for me. Closely followed by Dyches

I'd be one of them but he doesn't deserve to be in contention for this. Liverpool did improve over all as a team, may only have a slight point improvement over last year but he didn't overachieve in the league (Europe he did but doesn't count in this).

Pep and Dyche have definitely overachieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mark Hughes could help keep Swansea, Palace, Huddersfield, Brighton & West Ham up. A miracle season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's the league, therefore it's Pep. Nobody else in with a shout. There's overachieving with a relatively small team like Dyche and there's reinventing the wheel as Pep has done this season.

Liam O wrote:
    It's the league, therefore it's Pep. Nobody else in with a shout. There's overachieving with a relatively small team like Dyche and there's reinventing the wheel as Pep has done this season.

To be fair 200 million on defenders says he bought the wheel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Benitez, Guardiola and then take a pick. Benitez comfortably, he has practically lead Newcastle by the hand up the table with organisation and planning.

Not the hugest fan of Dyche (I think he plays the 'we're only Burnley' card too much) but they have done well up to Christmas. Playing an unchanged side over Christmas might have come back on them with a post Christmas slump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Between Pep and Dyche, honourable mentions for Rafa and Eddie Howe. I'd give it to Pep, blew the opposition away and if he beats the all the time record, surely it's his.

Pep was expected to win the league or at least go very close. Dyche and Burnley were expected to be fighting relegation.

Pep has done a great job but Dyche has exceeded expectations hugely.

Dyche for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Voted Dydce , jusy because Burnley are , safe though honorable mentions to klopp , pep , rafa and especially roy hodgson

Jose has spent a fortune though leading to much greater expectations while Klopp sold his best player (at the time) on the 1st of January. Plus well the football both produce is very different even though they both collect plenty of points in their own way.

Anyone who feels Jose is manager of the season should put his name forward for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

With the way the question is phrased I said Dyche for me. If question was who will win it, I'd say Pep, and there can be very few arguments on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jose has spent a fortune though leading to much greater expectations while Klopp sold his best player (at the time) on the 1st of January. Plus well the football both produce is very different even though they both collect plenty of points in their own way.

Anyone who feels Jose is manager of the season should put his name forward for it.

Everyone spends a fortune these days. Look what Pep spent on full-backs. And Klopp isn't exactly a pauper given what he spent on Van Dijk.

Hypothetically speaking which would you consider the better season: Jose taking United from 6th place + Europa League/ League Cup to 2nd place and an FA Cup

or

Klopp taking Liverpool from 4th place and 0 trophies to 3rd place and 0 trophies?

What's the more impressive progress? (To clarify, I don't consider Jose deserving of the award; I consider his season so far satisfactory rather than spectacular, and I feel the winner of the award should achieve something spectacular)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mourinho or maybe pep I suppose.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I think the way City won the league has people believing they were nailed on winners from the get go and underestimate the achievement. They were favourites but United and Chelsea were seen as very live contenders and them along with everyone else got blown away.

City started the summer as 2/1 favourites and started the season at 6/4, for comparison

Chelsea went from 7/2 to 4/1
    United went from 15/4 to 10/3
    The rest were 10/1 and bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

I think the way City won the league has people believing they were nailed on winners from the get go and underestimate the achievement. They were favourites but United and Chelsea were seen as very live contenders and them along with everyone else got blown away.

City started the summer as 2/1 favourites and started the season at 6/4, for comparison

Chelsea went from 7/2 to 4/1
    United went from 15/4 to 10/3
    The rest were 10/1 and bigger

TBH I think it is just typical Irish begrudgery. There is no way that only 20% think Gaurdiola should win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Mourinho for me. In the battle of the top 6 he has come from bottom to 2nd in one year. Picked up the best player in the league from a big rival and sent them packing down the table in the process, genius.
    With that trajectory in mind, only a fool would look past United for the league next season.
    Only for City got lucky with the league fixtures this season who knows what might have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Only for City got lucky with the league fixtures this season who knows what might have happened.

:confused:
    Whatever about MOTY but the league winners were by far the best team, no luck; there wasn't even a title race this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Everyone spends a fortune these days. Look what Pep spent on full-backs. And Klopp isn't exactly a pauper given what he spent on Van Dijk.

Hypothetically speaking which would you consider the better season: Jose taking United from 6th place + Europa League/ League Cup to 2nd place and an FA Cup

or

Klopp taking Liverpool from 4th place and 0 trophies to 3rd place and 0 trophies?

What's the more impressive progress? (To clarify, I don't consider Jose deserving of the award; I consider his season so far satisfactory rather than spectacular, and I feel the winner of the award should achieve something spectacular)

Why not give Klopp the CL if you are giving Jose the FA cup.

• Advertisement

Mourinho for me. In the battle of the top 6 he has come from bottom to 2nd in one year. Picked up the best player in the league from a big rival and sent them packing down the table in the process, genius.
    With that trajectory in mind, only a fool would look past United for the league next season.

Yeah very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

‘They didn’t mention Mourinho, let’s spoil the thread.’

Guardiola is the obvious winner but outside that Wagner or Hughton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can somebody explain to me just how the hell Guardiola is considered to have overachieved?

He has spent £500 million on top of what was already one of the most expensive squads ever assembled and he is only going to win the same as Mancini and Pellegrini did before him.

Sorry, but a manger spending hundreds of millions to bring the pre-season league favourites to the league title isn't over achieving, especially when you add in the European wet fart.

I know Pep is the hipsters darling and I don't care who likes him or not, but words have meaning and like **** is he over achieving. Bring Pepball to a club that isn't already cash rich and dominant and then maybe we can talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Can somebody explain to me just how the hell Guardiola is considered to have overachieved?

He has spent £500 million on top of what was already one of the most expensive squads ever assembled and he is only going to win the same as Mancini and Pellegrini did before him.

Sorry, but a manger spending hundreds of millions to bring the pre-season league favourites to the league title isn't over achieving, especially when you add in the European wet fart.

I know Pep is the hipsters darling and I don't care who likes him or not, but words have meaning and like **** is he over achieving. Bring Pepball to a club that isn't already cash rich and dominant and then maybe we can talk.

Salty Gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Salty pointing out the manager with the best squad in the league and added hundreds of millions of depth to it hasn't overachieved?

That's a bit delusional tbf.

Pep has done well this year, brilliantly even, city have been utterly dominant in the league, to say this was an overachievement is disingenuous to be polite.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

True but sold a player twice as expensive to pay for him. Something Pep or Jose don't have to worry about.

Anyway if it's league only it has to be Pep really despite all the money spent with only Dyche or Rafa challenging him. Hard to ignore a 16 point lead at the top of the table even with all the advantages.

If it's the season in it's entirety and if Klopp wins the CL (a very big if) then he'll probably deserve it.

To be fair your comparisons are assuming that Jose wins the fa cup and klopp doesn't win the champions league.

The question is, has klopp or Jose improved their respective sides enough This season to be even mentioned.

I don't think klopp should get it but he is definitely a better shout than Jose.

Mourinho for me. In the battle of the top 6 he has come from bottom to 2nd in one year. Picked up the best player in the league from a big rival and sent them packing down the table in the process, genius. With that trajectory in mind, only a fool would look past United for the league next season. Only for City got lucky with the league fixtures this season who knows what might have happened.

Your funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But KDB plays with City and they are 16 points ahead of United :confused:

ERG89 wrote: »
    :confused:
    Whatever about MOTY but the league winners were by far the best team, no luck; there wasn't even a title race this year.

I was just invoking my inner Mourinho. Funny that’s the only part you had issue with though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wanger and Houghton deserve a big mention if they keep their teams in the top league.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Your funny

My funny what?

I was Mourinhoing my answer. Jesus this place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Sean Dyche for sure, on the basis of his very very limited budget, the character he has instilled in the side and not a bad brand of football either. Work ethic of the squad puts some of the big clubs to shame.
    Tip my cap to Sean

My funny what?

I was joking. You're not........

• Advertisement
Advertisement