Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manager of the year

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

AGC wrote: »
    De Boer had none

5 matches he had. Ridiculous he was sacked after that length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Mr.H wrote: »
    Ah silly to argue. Sorry I got caught up in it. In the canaries this week so too many pints and too much time on my hands.

Soz will

No bother. I’m unashamedly biased but not that much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Only Man City could break a tonne of records and are on course to have the greatest one season in the history of the premier league and the manager still not win manager of the year.....some are even saying he shouldnt be in the top three! Has pep not won manager of the month 3 or 4 times in a row this season again breaking the record?

Its madness, a man city manager has never won manager of the year and i dont think Silva or Aguero have ever been in the pfa team of the year. They will never get any credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Anyone questioning Pep for this award is coming from a place of hate. Aside from what Ranieri did at Leicester this has been the finest league winning managerial performance in premier league history and all the stats back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

In terms of the league and the league alone;

Dyche or Benitez have by definition over achieved. Burnley are within reaching distance of European football! Burnley! Benitez has dragged a horrific Newcastle team back to mid-table.

Pep was expected to win the league. The money he spent on that team at the start of the season - any other outcome would be an underachievement.

José was expect to improve on last season's position. He's gone from 6th to 2nd. Hardly an over-achievement. He's done exactly what he was brought in to do. Next season, you would expect United to legitimately challenge for the title, i.e. keep improving from 2nd to 1st.

Klopp has kept Liverpool in the top 4, improving (as of now) from 4th to 3rd. Again, an expected achievement I would imagine in the eyes of all Liverpool fans. Small steps in the right direction. Again, I'm sure Liverpool fans will expect the team to challenge for the title next season.

Poch has seen Spurs fall from 2nd to 4th but still a comfortable top 4 finish. I would wager he's under-achieved, given they've gone from 7 points off the leaders in 2017, to being 19 off with an extra game played in 2018. You would also imagine a lot of Spurs' big name players will be looking to move for bigger wages and actually winning some meaningful silverware (could the FA cup keep them for another season?) so they could struggle if the quality goes abroad? (Eriksen, Toby, Son, Kane)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Had a chuckle at Rafa's inclusion, could only have been a Liverpool fan.

Your continued hate for Benitez is never not amusing. Manager of the Year aside, he's done a very good job at Newcastle and you know it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Just on Jose bringing utd from 6th to 2nd should Jose have had them in 6th in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Shame it's only a Primula league thing, Accrington Stanley's manager would be a shoe in for a whole league award. John Coleman has got them promoted spending virtually nothing, even by League Two standards.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I've gone for Dyche but I'd opt for Klopp it if he wins the CL with Liverpool. Dyche has exceeded expectations by a considerable distance. Most people thought that Burnley would be in a relegation battle this season but they are going to end up playing in Europe next season. Fantastic achievement.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Your continued hate for Benitez is never not amusing. Manager of the Year aside, he's done a very good job at Newcastle and you know it. :)

He's been good this year. It's his level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yes a top half finish for Newcastle is the level of a man who has won the champions league, europa league and la liga. Go lie down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Don't think that's fair. He won trophies with Liverpool, Chelsea, Valencia and Inter Milan to name but a few. I think he would be a brilliant replacement for Wenger at Arsenal and he could turn that club into a top four outfit. Done really well with a championship squad at Newcastle this season.

rob316 wrote: »
    Yes a top half finish for Newcastle is the level of a man who has won the champions league, europa league and la liga. Go lie down

He's been there 3 years now. If he was that sought after he'd be at a better club, it's not his loyalty to Newcastle keeping him there. Their combined spend the last two years would probably be in the top 10 in England or pretty close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Big Fat Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

He's been there 3 years now. If he was that sought after he'd be at a better club, it's not his loyalty to Newcastle keeping him there. Their combined spend the last two years would probably be in the top 10 in England or pretty close.

Their spend the year in the championship was 13th biggest in England while turning a £30m profit. It was 19th in the premier league for this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    If Wagner is in with a shout for it then surely Hughton should be also?

Brighton have a point more and a much better goal difference.

Bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Pep wins it easy.What he has done to the team,improved alot of players and smashed every record he could enroute.
    Sure he had the money and was fav for the title,nobody seen him break 100 points goals scored record etc etc.
    Pep by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

MagicIRL wrote: »
    In terms of the league and the league alone;

Dyche or Benitez have by definition over achieved. Burnley are within reaching distance of European football! Burnley! Benitez has dragged a horrific Newcastle team back to mid-table.

Pep was expected to win the league. The money he spent on that team at the start of the season - any other outcome would be an underachievement.

José was expect to improve on last season's position. He's gone from 6th to 2nd. Hardly an over-achievement. He's done exactly what he was brought in to do. Next season, you would expect United to legitimately challenge for the title, i.e. keep improving from 2nd to 1st.

Klopp has kept Liverpool in the top 4, improving (as of now) from 4th to 3rd. Again, an expected achievement I would imagine in the eyes of all Liverpool fans. Small steps in the right direction. Again, I'm sure Liverpool fans will expect the team to challenge for the title next season.

Poch has seen Spurs fall from 2nd to 4th but still a comfortable top 4 finish. I would wager he's under-achieved, given they've gone from 7 points off the leaders in 2017, to being 19 off with an extra game played in 2018. You would also imagine a lot of Spurs' big name players will be looking to move for bigger wages and actually winning some meaningful silverware (could the FA cup keep them for another season?) so they could struggle if the quality goes abroad? (Eriksen, Toby, Son, Kane)

Spurs will more than likely finish third if not second. Although Poch has made poor tactical decisions in big games most notably against Juventus, I wouldn’t say he has under achieved. We have played every match away this season and cemented our position as a champions League team. Also no one gave us a chance of qualifying for CL this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There are some insane takes here. Guardiola has put together the best Premier League team of all time here (and the records will show this), but people are so obsessed with underdog voyeurism these days.

Dyche is to be seriously commended for what he has done this season but it is much more difficult to reach 100 points with any Premier League squad than it is to reach the mid 50s with a squad like Burnley’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

In terms of relative success, it's between Dyche and Benitez. Dyche takes it for me as he's working on a smaller scale and taking Burnley further but I'd happily see it go to Benitez.

Yes, City have been by far the best team around this year but, relatively, their success is not unsuspected, especially with the amount of money they've spent.

In terms of relative success, it's between Dyche and Benitez. Dyche takes it for me as he's working on a smaller scale and taking Burnley further but I'd happily see it go to Benitez.

Yes, City have been by far the best team around this year but, relatively, their success is not unsuspected, especially with the amount of money they've spent.
    I don't think many expected that the team who finished 15 points off the top last season were going to be breaking the Premier League records points total. People will go with revisionist history to suit themselves but they weren't even particularly close to odds on favourites to win the league at the start of the season.

This is the greatest team the Premier League has seen tbh and the facts will almost definitely back it up at the end of the season. Dyche has done very well, but Pep he is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

CSF wrote: »
    I don't think many expected that the team who finished 15 points off the top last season were going to be breaking the Premier League records points total. People will go with revisionist history to suit themselves but they weren't even particularly close to odds on favourites to win the league at the start of the season.

This is the greatest team the Premier League has seen tbh and the facts will almost definitely back it up at the end of the season. Dyche has done very well, but Pep he is not.

Greatest... really.
    If they win back to back titles.
    If they win a double...or treble.
    Maybe, just maybe, I'll consider them as one of the better teams.

Greatest...have a word with yourself.

And the be word should be delusional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

This is the greatest team the Premier League has seen tbh

Bollox to that.

They are the best team this season by a mile and are breaking records just like Chelsea did. Best team ever on a endless budget i think not, let them dominate over a sustained period to even be close to being called the best of anything.

I'm not talking about legacy or anything like that. This is in reference to one particular season. No team has ever been as good over the course of a season as City have this year, and the records will show that at the end of the season.

What happened last year, or next year has no bearing on that, because I'm certainly not trying to claim that Guardiola is now going to outdo Ferguson's dynasty or create the kind of dominance that he did at Barca.

Because this is a thread about what happened this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

City made a mockery of the Premier League this season. I really do not understand how anyone thinks that should be expected because their budget. It's not like their rivals have a shortage of talent or resources.

• Advertisement

Think it's hard to look at the table and not be immediately struck by City's points total, the position of Burnley, and the position of Palace now given they lost the first 7 and scored no goals.

So for very different reasons, Pep, Dyche or Hodgson.

I'm not talking about legacy or anything like that. This is in reference to one particular season. No team has ever been as good over the course of a season as City have this year, and the records will show that at the end of the season.

What happened last year, or next year has no bearing on that, because I'm certainly not trying to claim that Guardiola is now going to outdo Ferguson's dynasty or create the kind of dominance that he did at Barca.

Because this is a thread about what happened this season.

100percent correct. Nearly every record going broken, this is the greatest one season premier league team we have seen, once city win today that will be confirmed. For that reason he should win premier league manager of the year, simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

It's typical small minded mentality of most PL fans. An all time great blesses the league with a record breaking team and the cries are for this 4-4-2 merchant to win the award. Laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It's typical small minded mentality of most PL fans. An all time great blesses the league with a record breaking team and the cries are for this 4-4-2 merchant to win the award. Laughable.

Guess we just aren't worthy then. Winning the league with the quality of Ederson, De Bruyne, Sane, and Aguero is simply a much easier feat to achieve than qualifying for Europe with Pope, Hendrick, Gudmundsson, and Barnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Or maybe some people remember a team that went the entire season unbeaten, and a team that won the treble, and a few other good teams over the years and so are able to honestly look at this city team and think "Nah, they aren't the greatest team of all time".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Darren Moore if he keeps WBA up.

They are in title-winning form if the season started six weeks ago :)

Or maybe some people remember a team that went the entire season unbeaten, and a team that won the treble, and a few other good teams over the years and so are able to honestly look at this city team and think "Nah, they aren't the greatest team of all time".
    That Arsenal team drew 12 games that season. This City team have already won 4 more games than that side and they've 3 games left, but sure whatever you're into tbh.

And I am not devaluing Arsenal's achievements that year (and unsurprisingly they gave Wenger Manager of the Year rather than give it to an overachiever) but they were not even close to as dominant that year as City have been this year.

but sure whatever you're into tbh.

Continue down that path and you might start to understand what opinions are, and why yours is only one of them.

Continue down that path and you might start to understand what opinions are, and why yours is only one of them.
    Accepting that people have alternative views, and also viewing one particular alternative view as ridiculous are not mutually exclusive.

Accepting that people have alternative views, and also viewing one particular alternative view as ridiculous are not mutually exclusive.

So, you said no team was ever as good in a season as this City team, I pointed out the existence of the Invincibles and the treble winning team, and now you imply that considering those as the greatest seasons would be a ridiculous view?

Really, a ridiculous view?

I don't think anything more needs to be said.

So, you said no team was ever as good in a season as this City team, I pointed out the existence of the Invincibles and the treble winning team, and now you imply that considering those as the greatest seasons would be a ridiculous view?

I didn't actually make any reference to the treble winning side. I can absolutely see that argument and if we include all competitions in the Premier League Manager of the Year I agree with it.

Based on where these awards have gone previously, I think this is just in reference to the Premier League though.

You think because Arsenal went unbeaten in the league that makes them the greatest one season team in the premier league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

That unbeaten Arsenal team is very overrated. The 2002 Arsenal team was better, along with United 99, 08 and the 2018 Man City vintage. They probably are 5/6th in line along with Jose's first chelsea team

pjohnson wrote: »
    Guess we just aren't worthy then. Winning the league with the quality of Ederson, De Bruyne, Sane, and Aguero is simply a much easier feat to achieve than qualifying for Europe with Pope, Hendrick, Gudmundsson, and Barnes.

Were you crying out for Poch or Koeman to win the awards when they had Southampton in the 60 point totals whilst constantly replenishing the squad and playing good football? Doubtful.

Burnley are scrappers and have done well with their lot, but let's not kid ourselves here, winning the league is the ultimate objective and City have romped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Were you crying out for Poch or Koeman to win the awards when they had Southampton in the 60 point totals whilst constantly replenishing the squad and playing good football? Doubtful.

Burnley are scrappers and have done well with their lot, but let's not kid ourselves here, winning the league is the ultimate objective and City have romped it.

So then every award should just go to the league winners each year? Not the best achieving

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    So then every award should just go to the league winners each year? Not the best achieving
    No of course not. But there has been no league winners more emphatic than these ones. Dyche could definitely have been a worthy winner in other seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'd argue the 2008 era Man Utd team is the best.

Won 3 in a row 2007 2008 2009 and another one a year later in 2011. And the remains of that side added one last title in 2013.

This during a period where English teams were doing the best they have done in Europe in the premier league era. Suggesting to me that the league was at its strongest.

In Europe:
    2005- Liverpool win
    2006- Arsenal final
    2007- Liverpool final
    2008- All English final Man Utd Chelsea, Man Utd win
    2009- Man Utd final
    2010- None
    2011- Man Utd final
    2012- Chelsea win

English sides were consistently doing well in the champions league over a prolonged period and Man Utd dominated them in the league. Only really one of the best teams ever in that 2009-2011 Barca side stopped United adding a few more Champions League but yeah best premier league side for me.

City have a long way to go to match that team.

Most wins
    Most points
    Most goals

But yeah, a lad with a -2 goal difference should win it, good one lads haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Ha just clicked on this poll for the first time... Anyone who thinks Pep doesn't deserve this is insane.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Ha just clicked on this poll for the first time... Anyone who thinks Pep doesn't deserve this is insane.

And yet Dyche has nearly twice the number of votes...this could go the way of the player of the year thread, where one player walks away with it and those who disagree get very annoyed about the majority having a different opinion.

Advertisement