Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size frame (basic cheapo mountain bike)

Options
  • 17-04-2018 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I'm buying my nephew a bicycle as a present. He's 5ft 7inches and I want to make sure I get him a bike in the right size.

I've seen conflicting info online ranging from a 16" to 21" frame...

Any help appreciated. He's given us an idea of models he wants and I'll be picking something from that but he still wants it to be a surprise as to the one he eventually gets...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first question might be - has he finished growing yet?
    the actual size will probably vary a bit depending on manufacturer's recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

first question might be - has he finished growing yet?
    the actual size will probably vary a bit depending on manufacturer's recommendations.

Heh, according to his mum he hasn't grown in a year but who knows if he's finished!! :)

Either way, he wants a bike. I had read that some manufactures measure the total height of the 'vertical' tube, while some measure half that height.

What height would be need of measuring the height of the tube, from the bottom of the tube to the bottom of the sale at its lowest point?
    That might help me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm about the same size as him, and my bike is a 19" frame IIRC.

Advertisement