Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

short term renting

Options
  • 17-04-2018 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    I'm due to carry out a house renovation - pyrite removal, can't seem find properties for short term letting (for 3months or so). Any idea or anyone looking to vacate their property for a short time over coming holiday months

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi jogoo146, welcome to Boards. I've moved your thread over to Accommodation & Property where you may be more likely to get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You're be looking at AirBnB or you could move in somewhere, say nothing, and just lose the deposit. I think 3 months is a bit optimistic for Pyrite removal - it'll all depend on scope of works of course but plan to be out longer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

You're be looking at AirBnB or you could move in somewhere, say nothing, and just lose the deposit.

.... and risk the landlord taking a case to the PRTB and you having to stump up the rent for the entire lease, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Have a look at holiday homes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

spockety wrote: »
    .... and risk the landlord taking a case to the PRTB and you having to stump up the rent for the entire lease, surely?

A landlord is expected to mitigate his loss. The RTB only allow the landlord the nett loss. An LL can't make on the double. Rent from a current tenant and rent from a previous one who vacated early.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If it is the summer months, you may be able to get a deal with a student complex for the summer. If in winter, you may be able to find a vacant holiday home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

spockety wrote: »

As above from 4ensic but the tenant can also assign which is what I'd suggest but to be honest most LL's are just going to retain the deposit and get their own tenant in so if I was the OP I'd say nothing and then just give the LL plenty of notice. Not strictly kosha I grant you but frankly other than AirBnBing it at an exorbitant rate there is no other option.

As a LL myself it would piss me off a bit but would be pretty far down on my list, especially if the tenant gave me notice or was trying to assign. Strictly speaking though as I say AirBnB for three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Might not suit for your personal situation, but if you timed it you could try to rent some student accommodation for the summer. Depends on where you live but I got a few months in cork for a pittance a few years ago, this was just before the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As others have said,there are often "seasonal lets"of holiday houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

jogoo146 wrote:
    Hi I'm due to carry out a house renovation - pyrite removal, can't seem find properties for short term letting (for 3months or so). Any idea or anyone looking to vacate their property for a short time over coming holiday months

What part of the country are you looking to rent in ??
    You would have different options in different places.

• Advertisement
Advertisement