Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I warn someone else from renting current apartment

Options
  • 17-04-2018 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,
    The apartment I am staying now is very noisy.
    I would like to let someone else to know that.
    Is there any website I can report to?

The ceiling of our apartment is made by timber.
    We can hear every sound made by upstairs, even just phone vibrate.

We will move out couple weeks after, but I hope next tenant can know this problem.
    Is there anyway I can warn them?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Don't worry about it ... move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

When they view, if they've any common sense, they'll find a quiet spot and stand quietly for a bit. Simply move on and forget about it, no point in creating hassle for yourself however well intentioned you're being.

Less a dig at the OP and more a thought that they shouldn't feel responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

When they view, if they've any common sense, they'll find a quiet spot and stand quietly for a bit. Simply move on and forget about it, no point in creating hassle for yourself however well intentioned you're being.

They'll likely be asked to view when neighbours are out, as I'm sure happened with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

mrcheez wrote: »
    They'll likely be asked to view when neighbours are out, as I'm sure happened with the OP.

Unless the LL owns both units this is far from certain. If the insulation is that bad you can tell from the exterior noise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

I remember seeing a review style website for rentals being set up for here some time ago. Good idea but not sure if it ever took off or what it is called.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

cibala wrote: »
    Hello,
    The apartment I am staying now is very noisy.
    I would like to let someone else to know that.
    Is there any website I can report to?

The ceiling of our apartment is made by timber.
    We can hear every sound made by upstairs, even just phone vibrate.

We will move out couple weeks after, but I hope next tenant can know this problem.
    Is there anyway I can warn them?

Thank you

What you really mean is that you want to be vindictive to the Landlord who you
    were only to happy to sign the lease before the noise occurence.

It's your duty & responsibility to check out the apartment before any decisions
    to move and considering your still living there and not in a sleeping bag on O'Connell Street it probably isn't that bad.

And no there is not a website to cowardly name & shame a Landlord without
    them able to defend themselves.Take this a learning curve in life skills and move on.

What you really mean is that you want to be vindictive to the Landlord who you
    were only to happy to sign the lease before the noise occurence.

It's your duty & responsibility to check out the apartment before any decisions
    to move and considering your still living there and not in a sleeping bag on O'Connell Street it probably isn't that bad.

And no there is not a website to cowardly name & shame a Landlord without
    them able to defend themselves.Take this a learning curve in life skills and move on.

I personally see no harm in having some kind of review system for tenants in place, much the same as you have for any other letting i.e. hotels, airbnb etc. It is a transaction after all. It's not cowardly naming and shaming if there was also the ability for the reverse, where the landlord could reply with feedback and review for the tenant. With a bit of moderating it would help with the piss taking all round and would just make things more transparent.

Also I'm nearly 100% sure I saw a site being set up for this in the not too distant past. It probably got **** canned or never took off though.

I personally see no harm in having some kind of review system for tenants in place, much the same as you have for any other letting i.e. hotels, airbnb etc. It is a transaction after all. It's not cowardly naming and shaming if there was also the ability for the reverse, where the landlord could reply with feedback and review for the tenant. With a bit of moderating it would help with the piss taking all round and would just make things more transparent.

Also I'm nearly 100% sure I saw a site being set up for this in the not too distant past. It probably got **** canned or never took off though.

Hotels & airbnb's have or should have a short duration.
    If reading up comments you can have people that like and dislike the place and
    other people can formulate a decision based on positive and negative experiences.
    If a property is tenanted for a year or longer , the tenant leaves on a bad note
    and posts an extremely bad experience ,people will only see the argument between Landlord and ex-tenant leaving the posting unleveled and will leave people unable to formulate a decision and more likely to be damaging to the Landlord.

Hotels & airbnb's have or should have a short duration.
    If reading up comments you can have people that like and dislike the place and
    other people can formulate a decision based on positive and negative experiences.
    If a property is tenanted for a year or longer , the tenant leaves on a bad note
    and posts an extremely bad experience ,people will only see the argument between Landlord and ex-tenant leaving the posting unleveled and will leave people unable to formulate a decision and more likely to be damaging to the Landlord.

How will it be unleveled and damaging to the landlord if both parties have the ability to review? You can also say the same in reverse!

It would also be beneficial to landlords as they can see previous review for tenants before making a decision to take them on.

I fail to see where the negative is? People can make their own decisions on what they see from the reviews. All it offers is a bit of transparency to try stop both sides taking the piss and breaking rules etc and it would work for both landlords and tenants equally.

How will it be unleveled and damaging to the landlord if both parties have the ability to review? You can also say the same in reverse!

It would also be beneficial to landlords as they can see previous review for tenants before making a decision to take them on.

I fail to see where the negative is? People can make their own decisions on what they see from the reviews. All it offers is transparency to stop both sides taking the piss and breaking rules etc and it would work for both landlords and tenants equally.

Its hardly a level playing field if the Landlords property is negatively advertised and its played out in front of spectators .The tenant has nothing to lose as any name can be made up and Landlord's name and property will be damaged upon repair.

Where have you seen poster's names destroyed or damaged by giving negative
    comments on Hotel's and airbnb's its always the business and owner.

• Advertisement

Its hardly a level playing field if the Landlords property is negatively advertised and its played out in front of spectators .The tenant has nothing to lose as any name can be made up and Landlord's name and property will be damaged upon repair.

Where have you seen poster's names destroyed or damaged by giving negative
    comments on Hotel's and airbnb's its always the business and owner.

Obviously moderation would be needed and unless the negative review comes from a genuine account that is verified then it is discounted or some such setup. I get the concerns but I think if it was set up and implemented properly it could work and would benefit both parties. But we are in Ireland so it would probably be a **** up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The next people might not even notice any noise. We all have different levels of noise tolerance. And they will probably be so pleased to find a place they won't even care anyway.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think if there was a website to allow people to openly comment on rental accommodation and landlords the site owners would be opening themselves to a world of legal problems, which is probably why it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I think it's a very noble idea OP, and I do not see it as vindictive at all in the slightest. I'm not sure how you can practically do this though ...

I once moved into a place which had terrible sound insulation, which I had no idea about beforehand. Nothing at all apparant during the viewings, it only became really apparant in the evenings when things tended to be quiter. It was a nightmare, and there is no way I would have moved in if I had known.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ripping

I think a rating platform is a great idea. From being a landlord, it will definitely help protect property values if there is a consequence to other property owners allowing unruly tenants to go unchecked. This gets out of hand quickly and it becomes difficult to sell when you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It exists. It's even attached to the rentals section on myhome.ie so I'm surprised it's not widely known about. Probably explains why few landlords reply to the ratings, not sure they know they're rated? Landlords do have the option to address points raised.

Look at the map on a myhome rental ad, you'll see a box for dwelldown
    https://www.myhome.ie/rentals/brochure/custom-hall-gardiner-street-north-city-centre-dublin-1/4197303

https://www.dwelldown.com/

https://www.dwelldown.com/property/EiUxNCBOb3J0aHVtYmVybGFuZCBSZCwgRHVibGluLCBJcmVsYW5k

This one has the ratings and then an explanation of pros and cons from the tenant. No landlord reply though, hard to find those, I'm not sure if Landlords are notified of a rating on their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cibala

Thank you Cathmandooo,
    Nice website, very handy.
    I have left a review on Dwelldown.com

The neighbor upstairs was not in apartment for the 1st month, so we couldn't hear any noise when viewing and for the 1st month.
    We should ask agent if the ceiling is made by timber when viewing.

I think the review just like a reminder, remind you to observe certain factor you might miss.
    It is just a way to get more information about the property.
    The final decision is made by yourself, you can choose to believe or ignore the information you have.

We will ask neighbor about the property before renting.
    I think the property review is a similar way to get the same purpose.

Thank you all for your rely. It helps a lot.

Move on and stop trying to cause trouble for your LL, he has bills to pay and needs to get his apartment rented.

Maybe you are more sensitive to the noise than others would be also.

Advertisement