Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap Issue

Options
  • 17-04-2018 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm a LL currently renting to same family for couple of years. I have had a few issues with late payments but have given benefit of doubt to them but they are far from ideal tenants. I have other reasons to say this.

They have approached me about taking Hap. I know you cannot refuse to accept it but if I dont meet HAP's qualifications ie tax clearance, property tax etc can I refuse on these grounds ?

Failing that I will probably just move back into the house, really isnt worth the hassle anymore.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm a LL currently renting to same family for couple of years. I have had a few issues with late payments but have given benefit of doubt to them but they are far from ideal tenants. I have other reasons to say this.

They have approached me about taking Hap. I know you cannot refuse to accept it but if I dont meet HAP's qualifications ie tax clearance, property tax etc can I refuse on these grounds ?

Failing that I will probably just move back into the house, really isnt worth the hassle anymore.

Thanks in advance
    Legally you cannot refuse on HAP grounds. My suggestion if tenant is late on rent: issue late rent notice immediately and after 14 days if not paid terminate. You can issue two concurrent terminations for you moving back and for default on rent.

If you do not pass the hap inspection the council will stop paying the rent and you will issue termination notice for default on rent on the tenant.

Good luck you will really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

GGTrek wrote: »
    Legally you cannot refuse on HAP grounds. My suggestion if tenant is late on rent: issue late rent notice immediately and after 14 days if not paid terminate. You can issue two concurrent terminations for you moving back and for default on rent.

If you do not pass the hap inspection the council will stop paying the rent and you will issue termination notice for default on rent on the tenant.

Good luck you will really need it.

Just an update for anyone in same situation.

So got advice on the issue from those in the know.

The fact of the matter is, I am not refusing it or discriminating against it but I personally do not meet the criteria as a landlord and therefore cannot enter the HAP scheme as is their terms.

For examlpe:
    If you are behind on property tax or cannot get a tax clearance cert and are not in a position to settle these arrears bringing it up to date, technically there is nothing anyone can do.

Hope this may help someone else !!

Advertisement