Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

• 18-04-2018 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

There have been countless stories of Muslim immigrants degrading women and gay people all across Europe and generally not integrating into the countries that they have moved to, personally i was very pro migrant about a year (maybe a year and a half) ago but have completely 180'd on the topic and now have a serious feeling of discomfort when i think about Islam spreading to Ireland. Am i the only person who feels like we have enough problems without adding this new religion into the mix? the idea that governments want to change the views of their own people rather than address the source of the issue (in my eyes Islam and the less liberal nations from which these groups originate)scares me because it sends us back to the times of keeping everything silent, it will only lead to another catholic church situation where eventually their atrocities all come to light at once.

Is Islam right for Ireland 34 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There have been countless stories of Muslim immigrants degrading women and gay people all across Europe and generally not integrating into the countries that they have moved to, personally i was very pro migrant about a year (maybe a year and a half) ago but have completely 180'd on the topic and now have a serious feeling of discomfort when i think about Islam spreading to Ireland. Am i the only person who feels like we have enough problems without adding this new religion into the mix? the idea that governments want to change the views of their own people rather than address the source of the issue (in my eyes Islam and the less liberal nations from which these groups originate)scares me because it sends us back to the times of keeping everything silent, it will only lead to another catholic church situation where eventually their atrocities all come to light at once.

Tell me - what do you actually know about Islam outside of what you're read in tabloids?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Gillette, the best a man can get...

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Would you believe I have those same feelings. Rather than been racist about it etc check out Birmingham, Luton, Blackburn & London with regards to the level of integration in these areas. Check out Rotheram UK with regards to rapes. Tommy Robinson, former EDL has been out spoken on this for years now.

Our borders should be tightly controlled like Poland, Hungary and some of the other eastern bloc countries. France and Britain are good examples of where Islam has been spreading for some time now, google the issues and problems they are having. As far as I am concerned could I go to Saudi Arabia and set up a catholic church there, I can guarantee the answer would be no.

Germany and Sweden will have more Islamic problems in the future wit this open arms policy with regards to immigration. The recent protest In Kilkenny regarding the planning of the mosque, I do wonder those Irish that are okay with it, how many of them are aware of the issues/problems that other european countries are experiencing. All these mosques are funded by sauda arabia etc.

Is this all hate speech, I would like to think not

I hate to say it, but I think it is coming
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLUTe9ZQpYk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

No and it never will be its a totalitarian ideology which brooks no criticism as the tragedy of Charlie Hebdo showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Thanks but no thanks lads.

Have a nice day.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

New account, same old talking points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Billy86 wrote: »

Did wonder, gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Billy86 wrote: »

Still, it might be helpful to at least talk about these issues without being labelled a racist or somesuch.:rolleyes:

Still, it might be helpful to at least talk about these issues without being labelled a racist or somesuch.:rolleyes:

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

James 007 wrote: »
    could I go to Saudi Arabia and set up a catholic church there, I can guarantee the answer would be no.

irrelevant given saudi arabia is a dictatorship and theocracy whereas ireland is a democracy.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

James 007 wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned could I go to Saudi Arabia and set up a catholic church there, I can guarantee the answer would be no.

I live in predominantly Muslim country neighbouring Saudi Arabia and there is a Christian church within walking distance from my apartment. Should I deny the Arabs in Dublin the same rights they've afforded the religion of my birth here? The Saudis aren't the be all and end all of Arab Muslims.

FYP

Smooth move.

I live in predominantly Muslim country neighbouring Saudi Arabia and there is a Christian church within walking distance from my apartment. Should I deny the Arabs in Dublin the same rights they've afforded the religion of my birth here? The Saudis aren't the be all and end all of Arab Muslims.

Link?

Link?

I doubt they have a Facebook page. Google churches in Oman, Yemen and Jordan. There's lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I don't agree with any religion, but people should be allowed to practice whatever faith they want.
    I don't think Islam is right for Ireland, but I don't think Christianity or Hinduism is either.
    But I have no problem with people practicing them if it makes them happy and they aren't committing any crimes.

There was a certain guy who came to power who didn't think Judaism was right for his country or other countries.
    He managed to swing a few people around to his thinking and well, that worked out well for everyone.

As for the video of the guys blaring noise in a van down the street, I personally would vote for a law where public promotion or advertising of religion is banned. I don't need to be harassed or made aware of people's views or beliefs or be asked to convert. It would negate the above problem...probably open a few more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Anyone is free to follow whatever cookie beliefs that they want so long as they aren't harmful to others, but keep them beliefs to themselves and most importantly, keep them the F away from all forms of public interest (politics, schools, etc).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

I would rather not have it here because of what comes with it. Is this racist?

thebull85 wrote: »
    I would rather not have it here because of what comes with it. Is this racist?

What comes with it?

What comes with it?

Chips?????? :pac:

jaxxx wrote: »
    Chips?????? :pac:

Baba ghanoush and hummus.

• Advertisement

What comes with it?

What do you think comes with it?

Maybe do a quick google search and see what islam as added to Germany these past couple of years.

Maybe do a quick google search and see what islam as added to Germany these past couple of years.

I live in the Middle East FFS. I lived in Sweden previous to here. I know what you're getting at and I don't think you're racist but I think you have a very small understanding of what Islam is. I know there is a problem in certain communities but what you think you know of a religion that has 1.8 billion subscribers is small minded and not representative of Islam as a whole.

So... judging an entire group of people based on the actions of a few. Yeah. Good luck with that. Big difference between ordinary average Muslims and extremist Muslims.

^ Big difference between anything and an extremist form of same, let alone just singling out Islam.

So... judging an entire group of people based on the actions of a few. Yeah. Good luck with that. Big difference between ordinary average Muslims and extremist Muslims.

^ Big difference between anything and an extremist form of same, let alone just singling out Islam.

But there is a huge problem with Islamic terrorism as we all know.

I think we should be keeping the number of muslim migrants or refugees coming into this country at the absolute bare minimum but it doesnt seem to me like thats whats happening at the moment.

I think we should be keeping the number of muslim migrants or refugees coming into this country at the absolute bare minimum but it doesnt seem to me like thats whats happening at the moment.

How many have you met? Because there's very few in Ireland, at all.

How many have you met? Because there's very few in Ireland, at all.

You are living in the middle east you also said you lived in Sweden, you're obviously not spending too much time here.

I work with two pakistani guys, they even told me there is people from their country flooding in here. A lot leaving england and coming here too.

You are living in the middle east you also said you lived in Sweden, you're obviously not spending too much time here.

I work with two pakistani guys, they even told me there is people from their country flooding in here. A lot leaving england and coming here too.

I spent 33 years in Dublin City.

So is it Pakistanis you don't want? What about Jordanians or Nigerians or do you just want a blanket ban on all Muslims?

I spent 33 years in Dublin City.

So is it Pakistanis you don't want? What about Jordanians or Nigerians or do you just want a blanket ban on all Muslims?

I never said i wanted to ban anyone. Putting religion aside for second, i dont think there should be anyone coming here from anywhere at this moment in time as it doesnt appear we have infrastructure to support the people living here currently nevermind anyone else.

I never said i wanted to ban anyone. Putting religion aside for second, i dont think there should be anyone coming here from anywhere at this moment in time as it doesnt appear we have infrastructure to support the people living here currently nevermind anyone else.

OK. Should we think about deporting people? Maybe people without a degree. Useless arts degrees maybe? Anyone that might have a protestant in their family tree?

Ireland is full and the brains here that got us here will sort it out. Right so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

There's a problem with white American Christians shooting kids in schools and blowing up churches .
    Let's ban America. And Jesus.

There's a problem with white American Christians shooting kids in schools and blowing up churches .
    Let's ban America. And Jesus.

#MakeIrelandGreatAgain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I live in Malaysia. Right next door to my condo building, in fact I look down on the spire from my apartment, is a Catholic Church called the Holy Rosary. Across the road out the front is a Buddist temple and further up the same street a Hindu one. I can see the National Mosque (and occasionally hear it) from my rooms too.

Basically, 4 religions within a short walking distance and not a problem is had.

This Islam bashing is getting tiresome. Some of my favorite people, including my kinda boyfriend are Muslims and it doesn't matter a jot to any of us.

I am atheist. I think let people believe what they want as long as it makes them happy. Anyone who thinks Islam is going to change Ireland negatively may check themselves into a hospital coz they are not well.

Witchie wrote: »
    I live in Malaysia. Right next door to my condo building, in fact I look down on the spire from my apartment, is a Catholic Church called the Holy Rosary. Across the road out the front is a Buddist temple and further up the same street a Hindu one. I can see the National Mosque (and occasionally hear it) from my rooms too.

Basically, 4 religions within a short walking distance and not a problem is had.

This Islam bashing is getting tiresome. Some of my favorite people, including my kinda boyfriend are Muslims and it doesn't matter a lot to any of us.

I am atheist. I think let people believe what they want as long as it makes them happy. Anyone who thinks Islam is going to change Ireland negatively may check themselves into a hospital coz they are not well.

Woah, woah, woah woah..... WOAH! Just hold up one bloody minute. Hold the bloody phone!!!!!........ What in the actual Holy Father of Potato is a "kinda boyfriend"????? What is this witchcraft???!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What if Islam was so right for Ireland that it became the far right?

giphy.gif

What in the actual Holy Father of Potato is a "kinda boyfriend"????? What is this witchcraft???!

It's a considerate young gentleman who graciously allows young ladies to temporarily avail of the use of his genitals whenever the young lady is in particular need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

It's a considerate young gentleman who graciously allows young ladies to temporarily avail of the use of his genitals whenever the young lady is in particular need

Not entirely true.....we are just in the early flush of the relationship, still dating others but kinda semi serious.

Anyway we digress.

The more anti-muslim rhethoric, the more you encourage fundamentalism. The more oppressed or victimised a person feels, the more they are likely to seek extreme reparation.

Witchie wrote: »
    Not entirely true.....we are just in the early flush of the relationship, still dating others but kinda semi serious.

sorry, i'll fix me post
    It's a one of a number of considerate young gentleman gentlemen who graciously allows that young ladies lady to temporarily avail of the use of his their genitals currently whenever the young lady is in particular need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the vast majority of Muslims dont cause any problem, but there are groups of young men who see western society as a playground for them and view us as inferior.
    eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_gang_rapes

Taharrush gamea- it's supposed to be some kind of mass sexual assualt/groping ritual, it might be considered as 'old testament' and rejected by most Muslims, Im not really sure, the right has clinged on to it for use in their Anti Muslim rhetoric , so its difficult to know how much of it is true,

for the links below Ive avoided the dailymail and braitbart, but also huffpost because it seemed to go the total opposite direction with its reporting

https://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/31622/they-call-it-taharrush-gamea/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_sexual_assault_in_Egypt

I hate the fact that I dont know if this thread was started by a troll/shítposter, or someone genuine who wants to understand whats going on in Europe at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Islam according to Wikipedia has 1.8 billion followers, or 24.1% of Earth's population. Of course there will be a few extremists, but you are judging a whole group of people based on these.

Should we judge all the Catholics/Christians in Ireland...I'm sure most were raised that way (80+%) on the actions of the Catholic Church in recent history.
    Or you could go back to the ol Spanish Inquisition, they were a great bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Turn the clocks back 25 years ago, how would you feel if you were banned from entering the UK because you were Irish Catholic and potentially an IRA terrorist. That's what the problem boils down to, it's become OK to assume not all Muslims, but any Muslims could be members of an extremist group like ISIS, the Tallaght Band or some Shi'ite like that. When in actual fact they are probably the doctors doing their best to solve the trolley crisis.

Alot of what people think is Islamic terrorism is actually just different tribes fighting for control of resources. They want to tax everyone in their controlled territories , its not really about religion, its just conquerors wearing religious garb

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Islam according to Wikipedia has 1.8 billion followers, or 24.1% of Earth's population. Of course there will be a few extremists, but you are judging a whole group of people based on these.

Should we judge all the Catholics/Christians in Ireland...I'm sure most were raised that way (80+%) on the actions of the Catholic Church in recent history.
    Or you could go back to the ol Spanish Inquisition, they were a great bunch.

That number has doubled since I was in school, when there were just over 5 billion people on earth. So basically half of people being born today are Muslims? Or is there mass conversion underway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I'd be more inclined to think that the(far) right aren't right for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's become clearly obvious that all humans should be banned from Ireland, we re simply too scary for each other with our different views and stuff

It's not Islam as a religion per as, more how it is secretive and non integrative.

And before anyone throws rocks, I went to mosque for about 4 months. Still always talked about as the white guy !

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ak84

I wouldn't class 1 religion as any better or worse than another. There are all ****. ☺

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Islam is not a single faith. It's a mixture of hundreds of beliefs based on an original movement, but has been interpreted in many different manners. This focus on 'Islam' is the result of media hysterics. The vast majority of Islamic people are peaceful people with very family orientated values.

However, when it comes to religious law and it's implementation within the west, I do have an issue with 'Islamic' laws. These were laws that were created in a completely different environment, with a different cultural/historical background than in the west, and aren't suitable here.

But then I feel the same, in many ways, about any religious laws that seek to be more important than State law. I have no issue with "Islamic people" being in Europe, as long as there is the clear awareness that Sharia law or any other such religious law will not be integrated into our own culture, and that the Host countries laws are top dog in every way.

As for terrorists, that's not the fault of Muslim people any more than the terrorists in the North were my fault.

Apply reasonable terms for the entrance of immigrants into Europe, treat them fairly, and apply the law to them should they break the rules. Same as it is for everyone else. Should they repeat the crimes, revoke their visas, and never allow them to return. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Islam like the other great religions (Christian & Jewish) has it's origins in an illiterate man in the desert hearing a voice in the sky and starting from there. Somehow what was heard managed to be exactly transcribed in spite of a vast gap in time between the revelation and the transcription..

Islam had for a vast period of it's history (in spite of a early split) led the way in developing sciences and learning. It's a long time since Islamic Golden Age though. A large section of Islamic culture, has turned it's back on reason and enquiry and have regressed to a culture a lot of which is tied to the rambling a 7th century lunatic. The sect of Wahhabism, which has benefitted greatly from it's ties with Saudi money, has become the dominant force within the muslim world in spite of it's tiny numbers.

For Islam to integrate and to add to Western culture, it needs to counter sects like Wahhabism and their influence and bring back a Golden Age of learning.

The Jews with their equally ridiculous origins, but with a tiny population ( without Googling I'm going to guess less than 20m) have had a massive influence on Western culture and continue to be leaders in science, literature, medicine etc. Compare Nobel laureates; Jews make up over 20% of winners from less than 0.2% of the world's population. 1.4% of winners have been Muslim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

As has been shown here recently no religion is right for Ireland.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement