Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I continue to find it bizarre that everyone tends to frame the whole migrant debate as being about either religion or race, when in reality it's about culture.

A white Christian born and raised in Saudi Arabia and totally immersed in Saudi culture is going to have a view of (to take one example) womens' rights and sexual freedom which is entirely incompatible with Western values. I don't think the religion or race of the person is as relevant as people seem to think it is - I'm firmly on the "nurture" side of the nature vs nurture argument when it comes to social norms, and as far as I'm concerned the real issue - which is what we should be talking about instead of making it about Muslims - is that there are many countries in the world whose societies function in a way which a majority of Irish people would find abhorrent, and that's why there's so much vocal and angry opposition to immigration from Middle Eastern and North African countries.

This cuts both ways, as well - I'm pretty sure if Europe was going through a major crisis and a country like Saudi Arabia was being flooded with European migrants - among them, obviously, thousands of men and women who believe in gender equality and freedom of sexual expression as opposed to state mandated modesty in dress etc, the people of Saudi Arabia would be up in arms, because they would regard our way of living as totally incompatible with theirs.

I genuinely don't think religion has much to do with it. I mean, Ireland in the past had an extraordinarily f*cked up attitude towards women, but I'd imagine that a black, atheist son or daughter of American immigrants born and raised in this country would probably have ended up just as indoctrinated into the sexual repression bullsh!t as a white, Christian Irish kid.

I've spoken about this with an Egyptian muslim friend and she pretty much confirms the same - the religion itself isn't the issue, the issue is that certain countries have utterly toxic cultural values - values they would more than likely continue to hold regardless of how their country's religious history had or had not evolved.

In all honesty, how much does religion impose cultural values on a society versus how much does religion merely adopt the pre-existing cultural values of the society in which it first emerges?

Tl;dr, the problem isn't Islam, the problem is that certain countries operate in a way which is entirely incompatible with the way Ireland operates, and that's where the idea of assimilation vs multiculturalism becomes a legitimate political issue and not just "zomg racist!1!1!!11!!1!" like so many idiots like to automatically start shouting.

I do actually agree a lot with you. Some countries and cultures do have aspects that are very toxic. In these threads i do sometimes throw out India. Their caste system is horrible. They have a problem with women being raped and "eve teasing" is very common.
    the reason I mention it is that you don't see Indians getting the same flak that Muslims do. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say there should be a ban on Hindu's.
    And I don't think a ban on Hindu's should be allowed. Most of the ones that come here are lovely. I live next to a couple and my only complain is that the smell of cooking from their apartment is amazing. I arrive home with a snackbox and want to eat wherever they have in their apartment :)
    When an argument targets one group but not another there's a bias in it and that's racist.

Plus I wouldn't want to live in Saudi. I can't see why the majority of people from there would want to live here. The ones that do probably want to because of the kind of country Saudi is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

eeguy wrote: »
    Who's family wished to join their extended family in Canada but were denied exit visas from Turkey with no explanation?

As I've pointed out before,
    you don't put yourself and your family on a sh*tty rubber raft if you're safe and sound. You can make up whatever fantasy you want.

Just fixed your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Wibbs wrote: »
    I agree. Which just adds to my point that multiculturalism is something that has so many issues on all sides.

There is also the more IMHO important long term argument about how many immigrants of any sort a host culture can absorb before it gets problematic. That argument is a blindspot for folks in favour of multiculturalism, while the antis often think one is too many.

Not really. Most people are willing to engage in it but from the right there's always a few than make it descend into "they want to take us over"
    Again, this is human nature and observable throughout history and culture. Do you really think we can change that in a couple of generations and have that change across all sides? Again my heart may wish for that, but my head tells me it hasn't worked before. Ever.

True but that doesn't make it right and everyone should be condemning these people and their ideas. However they generally get free rein from the right. You won't see someone who's anti Muslim step in and say it's wrong. Quite often the posts get thanked. If someone wants to have a proper serious discussion about emigration they should be correcting these people.

Have you read After Hours? Have you read the extremely popular and widespread notion that Catholic priests are kiddie fiddlers, that the Church fostered and protected them, that the more we drive the Church from Irish society the better off we'll be? The Catholic Church and Catholics and Islam and Muslims as groups suffer about the same slings and arrows.

I've pointed out many times that the number of paedophiles in the priesthood is the same percentage as in the general population. However the church as an organisation did shield them which enabled them to continue their abuse. And they did this in many countries. And it's still a closed organisation with very little transparency. As an organisation it shouldn't be in charge of the vast majority of schools. That's not anti catholic, anti priest or anti christian. It's a simple fact that an organisation that protected abusers should not run schools.And for what it's worth I wouldn't want any religion running 90% of our schools.
    And your reply didn't address the point that no-one is calling for a restriction on the number of Christians from certain denominations entering the country.

That's because you're in the second camp. One rarely sees the extremism or logic faults in one's own worldview.

can you show me an extreme left wing post in this thread? What counts as extreme? Saying not all muslims are nasty?
    Let's flip the script and imagine we're living in an Islamic mostly homogenous culture. If this debate was about large numbers of Christians, many of whom were pretty ardent Christians coming in their many thousands into our country I'd have the exact same concerns. I wouldn't have too many concerns about Christianity, or about Christians in general, I would have concerns at the importation of a large number of non local people and their culture. As nigh follows day the first generation would be mostly fine, but would tend to clump in areas with each other, number would grow, the second generation would feel "local" but not quite and resentment would build and so forth.

There's a lot of assumptions there. Plus we're not talking about large numbers. Mistakes were made in the past. People were basically thrown in ghetto's in europe. Almost all of the problems that have occured in them are because of economics, not race or culture or religion.
    If you look at studies you'll see that when the first or second generation is well off there's next to no problems with integration. In a lot of European countries yiu have teh same problems that the US did. There was a policy similar to segregation. Immigrants were put in housing projects away from white neighbourhoods.

If the numbers are reasonable then I think we could take Muslim refugees and it would be ok.

But take kilkenny. This week someone stood up in a meeting and said muslims shouldn't be allowed build a mosque because they need to learn respect (Or show respect. I can't remember the exact phrase).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Look at what even New Zealand did with buying houses. Even they had enough.

What did NZ do with buying houses?

Thomas__. wrote: »
    Interesting post. Multiculturalism isn't just wishful thinking, it is partially a reality or how would you see all the restaurants with 'exotic' dishes and shops where to buy all that stuff too?It is probably that 'native' people like that but prefer to have the immigrants integrate themselves into the local society? To what extent, I mean how far should that go?

Well... I lived seven years in China, and I'll be returning there later this year. I learned Chinese (my reading/writing sucks but my speaking is pretty good), and I even learned two local dialects. I ate their food (even when western food was available), I listened to their music, I attended the popular events, and went to their music concerts. I dated their women extensively. :D And I pretty much immersed myself in the life there.

But I'll always be a foreigner there. Being white, tall and having blue eyes, is just part of it. There is no expectation of fitting in. There are people from all over the world in China, but they will always be considered foreigners. As will their children.

Western countries/culture is different. We have a culture that seeks to embrace and provide excellent opportunities for integration. I think most people who haven't lived abroad outside of western countries don't really understand this. Western culture provides so many ways for people to merge with the existing society that most other cultures don't. I've lived in Russia, many parts of Asia, and met long-term expats in many other countries, and generally their experiences match mine.

This isn't about food. It's about attempting to merge with the local culture and adopting the customs which are common. It's about adopting similar values. In China, if you saw someone lying on the street in obvious distress, the vast majority of people would avoid them for fear that it's a scam of some sort. In most European countries, many (not all) people would show concern, and notify someone in authority, or involve themselves directly. The values of society and the manner in which they are expressed are different. Admittedly, the example is slowly going out of date since people are becoming more suspicious of strangers here.

You ask how far to take it? Learning the language is a good start. Not pushing the customs and traditions of your original country on to others is the next best move. The people who consistently fail to live long-term in China (despite their wishes otherwise) are the ones who believe their culture/values to be superior and seek to prove it. It would be the same here in western countries. Respect the host countrys culture.
     Further I'd like to ask what it really takes of integration to become Irish, apart from naturalisation, I mean from being acknowledged as Irish by the 'native' locals? I raise these questions to ask for the merit of it in order to change ones person identity which means give up and abandon old ties to ones own upbringing and cultural background but always obeying the law.

Don't rock the boat. It's really that simple. I succeed in China/Asia because I don't cause trouble and avoid the foreigners that do. The immigrants I know in Ireland (I teach English at the local community center) who don't set themselves apart due to their fashion (religious/cultural attire), who learn English, etc are the ones who become accepted in the community.Their country of origin becomes a footnote pretty quickly regardless of their skin color or religion. The immigrants here who stand out are the ones, who haven't sought to improve their English (and there are quite a few who don't), who do dress as they would at home, and generally remind everyone that they're not from around here all the time.

I'm suspicious of multiculturalism because it's very rare that i've seen it last longer than a decade or two. People just seem to feel the need to push their own customs/culture into the public space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Thomas__.

Interesting post. Multiculturalism isn't just wishful thinking, it is partially a reality or how would you see all the restaurants with 'exotic' dishes and shops where to buy all that stuff too?
    Funny enough I have noted down the years that when the subject of multiculturalism comes up it inevitably comes around to to food and restaurants. :D Joking aside, it often does. The suburban types who see it in terms of yams in Tesco and that woooonderful Mogolian Yak testicle dish Proinsias  and I had last week.  
    It is probably that 'native' people like that but prefer to have the immigrants integrate themselves into the local society? To what extent, I mean how far should that go? Further I'd like to ask what it really takes of integration to become Irish, apart from naturalisation, I mean from being acknowledged as Irish by the 'native' locals? I raise these questions to ask for the merit of it in order to change ones person identity which means give up and abandon old ties to ones own upbringing and cultural background but always obeying the law.
    It's not easy. It's difficult enough in nations that are built on colonisation and immigration, IE the "New World" of US, Canada, Australia etc. All have problems to one degree or other with internal cultures. In more longterm preexisting cultures these problems are as bad if not worse. The problems get worse again with the speed of immigration.

Let's take a different angle at it. In homogenous uni cultural nations do we see this kinda thing? Yes they will have "local" social issues, but they don't suffer the unique issues of multicultural societies. They just don't.

My heart would love a multicultural society, my head tells me that the heart is not enough and never has been. If we look at any multicultural society in history that has worked in every single case the underlying culture was extremely strong and resistant to any dissent or lack of integration. Hell, integration wasn't even an issue. If you lived there you had to abide by the local rules and culture or you were disenfranchised, or were out, or worse. EG The Islamic world in the early days, or the Roman empire, or the Chinese empire. One could argue and ironically with it that multiculturalism is more likely to work in more hardline, even right wing imperial cultures than in easy going liberal ones. And history would back you.

The problem with being liberal(and I am one) is that being easygoing is great until it butts up against not so liberal, not so easygoing cultures. Being a liberal westerner is often a position of believing everything and everybody and every culture is cool and let's all live together. It's inherently passive and less self confident in the culture that it built to allow for that and isn't likely to win against a culture far more sure of itself who sees it as weak.
    Thanks for the reply. There are a couple of things in your post which I see a bit different. One thing is in regards of the USA, Canada and Australia, as well as NZ which you haven't mentioned, that all the four nations were build on the expense of the native people there. There was no such Intention of establishing a multicultural society, there was just the intention of colonising them and grab the land from the natives to finally overtake it. I won't get into more details on that as this would lead us too far from the topic of this thread. I don't think that I have to explain anything to you further either as I presume that you know about that history yourself well enough. What I like to point out by that is the difference between 'uninvited conquest' and 'invited immigration' of people to take up jobs the natives didn't want to take on anymore. That is how Immigration policy was set up and persued after WWII in Western Europe. This is at the core of the whole muluticulty and immigration matter of our time. What adds to that is the 'uninvited economical migration' from countries of the so called 'Third World' who flee their countries because there is no prospect to improve the lives of the people as the countries are economically down, partly as a result from old colonial times and past-colonial times in which the exploitation of the natural resources of that country still persisted. Partly it is due to the bad politics of the rulers of the elected politicians of these countries which has corruption and crony serving interests at its core too.

As far as I know, the Republic of Ireland had less immigration rates from other countries pre-EEC ascendance. You can enlighten or correct me on this but it seems to me that much of the Immigration took place in the 1990s with Ireland being economically successful during the 'Celtic Tiger' years. Before that, there was more Emigration of Irish people to other countries than vice versa. It also had much economical reasons for why Irish people went abroad, not too different from what makes Africans go to Europe. But there is one difference between Irish emigrants and African / MidEast immigrants. Irish people used to go to countries like USA, Canada, Australia and NZ where the spoken language is English and it is easier to settle in such countries than to go to a very different one with a different culture and language, even writing. Depending on the education and the former colonial power of the country they are from, not less of them speak fluent English or French (in regards of African countries), others know no language of the two aforesaid at all, but just see to make it to the EU and start from nothing, learning the language of the country in which they can settle. This is where it starts first, to learn the language to understand the culture of the host country. That means, you can't adopt culture you don't know anything about and don't understand either, such learning and understanding needs time to develop and some are better and others are bad in making progress with it. There is still a percentage which is totally refusing to do anything, but they are a minority. The many people strive to integrate and make the best of it for themselves. They don't think about to give up their cultural roots as they are neither asked or demanded to do so, what they know is that they have to obey by the law and the rules, but for that they first have to know them. That means someone has to teach them these. This also takes time.

Cultural differences are working in a good and a bad way, somehow even in a neutral way. In good ways when there is a bilateral exchange and open mindness, in bad when a foreign culture tries to impose her values on the native one and seeks to overtake the dominance. In a neutral way when different cultures live side by side and there is no attempt of imposing on one another.

The problem with Muslims and other different cultural people in Europe is neither their religion and their culture per se, it is with a minority of radicals who seek to get more people of their own background radicalised in opposing them to the liberal and free society to overthrow and replace it with their radical one. The generalisation by the natives that is emanating and founded on the behaviour fo the radicals which are still a minority makes the whole of that community seen in a bad light. The silence of the moderate and law abinding majority of that community feeds suspicions by the natives and raises questions why they don't stand up to the abuse of their religion and culture. That gives much room for speculations, misinterpretations and culminates in hidden or even open racism or anti-immigration sentiments. 

A further aspect which makes the immigration more contentious is that already unsolved and worsening social problems get exacerbated by a 'overproportional' influx of new immigrants. There are lots of such social problems from the housing crisis to jobs which are essential for a decent human life. When too many in too short a time arrive new and the aforesaid problems are not solved and can't be solved in a short time to satisfy the natives and the immigrants as well, social tensions are increasing. On the other hand one must see that all the efforts taken by the 'First World' to help the 'Thrid World' to improve the economy and the living standards in those countries have failed over the decades because of the political environment as I have mentioned above. That means that without improvements and with the climate change which also affects them, there will be further migration towards Europe in the future. More so when it gets to survival. That all are the driving forces for migration for many people. Still, the rich countries are doing too less (or like Trump even seek to withdraw from commitments to stop climate change) to stop this development which are foreseeable.

But coming back to my integration questions, where is the difference between integration and assimilation? When becomes a foreign person a full recognised Irish one and by that I mean recognised as Irish by the old natives? 
    What would I have to do to become an Irishman? Regularly go to the Pub, learning the Irish language, knowing all about Irish history and know about Irish politics and culture, try to take on the local accent? Maybe commit myself in local activities or social volunteer projects? These things are all matters which one can come in contact and become engaged with in daily life, it is part and parcel of integration, the more one adopts the more one gets assimilated and it means more than just to apply for Irish citizenship, it means to change ones own cultural life and yet it doesn't takes away the old traces of ones identity, the cultural background that shaped it in the first place.

I have put such questions to Irish people from time to time, but I haven't yet received a clear and direct answer to them. I think that it isn't that hard to answer them, maybe it is a bit hard to be honest on answering them. But I am still interested in what Irish people say to that. When people always call for integration, they should at least be capable to give a straight answer what they mean by it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Grayson wrote: »
    Not really. Most people are willing to engage in it but from the right there's always a few than make it descend into "they want to take us over"
    Actually I'd say it's more than a few and on the "left" there's always more than a few that run the "you're racist for not wanting immigration of the like seen in the rest of Europe".
    True but that doesn't make it right and everyone should be condemning these people and their ideas. However they generally get free rein from the right. You won't see someone who's anti Muslim step in and say it's wrong. Quite often the posts get thanked. If someone wants to have a proper serious discussion about emigration they should be correcting these people.
    I have no problem condemning blindness to nuance on any matter.
    And your reply didn't address the point that no-one is calling for a restriction on the number of Christians from certain denominations entering the country.
    For obvious reasons. Ireland is culturally still a christian with a small c country. It's also a "White" country culturally. So 10,000 say White "christian" Polish people quite simply don't stand out to any great degree. Which in turn means they're less likely to attract negative attention, which in turn means they're less likely to become a social "issue". A born and raised here Black Irish man or woman(though more the man) is quite simply more visible. 10,000 Black African folks regardless of religion will stand out. Are more likely to feel threatened by the host country, more likely to clump together in neighbourhoods etc. It would be the same if the same number of White Irish rocked up in Uganda. Human nature again.
    There's a lot of assumptions there. Plus we're not talking about large numbers.
    OK then in your estimation what number is too large? Off the top of my head there are over 50,000 folks of African origin in Ireland, a similar number of Muslim folks. What number would you be OK with?
    Mistakes were made in the past. People were basically thrown in ghetto's in europe. Almost all of the problems that have occured in them are because of economics, not race or culture or religion.
    This is the Left's go to; it's always economics. The two strands boil down to economics and the oppressed/oppressor dynamic. When all you have is a hammer(and sickle*) every problem looks like a nail.

Yes sometimes top down ghettoisation was in play, certainly in the past. However you're ignoring ground root self ghettoisation. This goes on everywhere there is immigration in any numbers. Look to the US. The Irish tended to choose to live with other Irish, the Italians with other Italians, the Jews with other Jews and so on. Understandably so. Again with human nature. They also all tended to become more Irish/Italian/Jewish than the Irish/Italian/Jewish from "back home", in many cases to the point of caricature about their cultures or their perceptions of them. look at Ireland. No top down ghettoisation going on, yet we can all point to areas in Irish major cities and towns that are already "Muslim" or "Black". And this has happened in the last decade or so. No Irish imperial past required.
    If the numbers are reasonable then I think we could take Muslim refugees and it would be ok.
    Again what numbers do you consider "reasonable" and at what point would you baulk at any more? It seems we both have similar enough concerns, but are just arguing the numbers.
    But take kilkenny. This week someone stood up in a meeting and said muslims shouldn't be allowed build a mosque because they need to learn respect (Or show respect. I can't remember the exact phrase).
    Yep, more than a bit daft, but I can near guarantee he or she will have quite widespread if tacit support for that position. Human nature...

*couldn't resist :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But coming back to my integration questions, where is the difference between integration and assimilation? When becomes a foreign person a full recognised Irish one and by that I mean recognised as Irish by the old natives? 
    What would I have to do to become an Irishman? Regularly go to the Pub, learning the Irish language, knowing all about Irish history and know about Irish politics and culture, try to take on the local accent? Maybe commit myself in local activities or social volunteer projects? These things are all matters which one can come in contact and become engaged with in daily life, it is part and parcel of integration, the more one adopts the more one gets assimilated and it means more than just to apply for Irish citizenship, it means to change ones own cultural life and yet it doesn't takes away the old traces of ones identity, the cultural background that shaped it in the first place.

I have put such questions to Irish people from time to time, but I haven't yet received a clear and direct answer to them. I think that it isn't that hard to answer them, maybe it is a bit hard to be honest on answering them. But I am still interested in what Irish people say to that. When people always call for integration, they should at least be capable to give a straight answer what they mean by it.
    Bloody good questions T. I'd agree with your take I underlined in your post I quoted. People are "afraid" to be honest about such things. I'd reckon mostly for not wanting to be a prick or offend.

I mean I don't speak Irish. TBH the vast majority of Irish trad music I can't stomach for long. GAA and all that is a foreign culture to me and I'm not especially involved in the wider community. Yet I'll be seen as "Irish" instinctively because I'm white with an Irish accent who doesn't stand out. It is kinda mad that an Irish speaking, GAA supporting, bodhran playing born and bred in Ireland Black bloke will instinctively be seen as not quite a local. Many will swear this doesn't apply to them, and colour me cynical, but I don't believe them, not nearly as much as they believe it themselves. A while back on another thread a chap claimed he never makes assumptions about anyone based on what they look like or who they are. He seemed genuinely convinced of this. And fair enough, but everybody makes these unconscious and conscious micro and macro assumption with everyone they meet. It's what human brains do. We're book cover judges outa the box. Even babies do it.

TBH T I see humans as still quite the tribal social animals they've always been. And it doesn't take much for that tribalism to kick off, positively and negatively. There's even a gender bias to it. EG "foreign" women are seen as far less a threat than "foreign" men. Hell more than once I've read here on AH about how the Irish lads are into all the "sexy foreign women" that have come to Ireland and want more. "Foreign" men if they come up at all are not so welcome. They're in that weird no man's land between visible and invisible. Look at the Us, where Black men are all too often something to be feared, almost at a primal level, whereas as Black women aren't.

It's no great wonder to me that young male immigrants or even generationally longterm in a place feel outside of things. It's why some are so easy to radicalise. If someone offers you belonging in a culture that you feel - and have good reasons to feel - doesn't, well... TBH I can fully see how some Muslim Pakistani lad in Manchester gets into all that, even at the level of quietly agreeing with the radicals. Never mind if he does some reading into how the country he lives in, "his" country had fcuked over his ancestral homeland and homelands of what he'd see as his Muslim brothers and sisters. I probably would in his position.

At least Ireland doesn't have that direct imperial past added in. Though just as many will see Muslim = suicide bombing jihadi, the suicide bombing jihadi will see White = imperial supporter scumbag.

It's a knotty problem T.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I continue to find it bizarre that everyone tends to frame the whole migrant debate as being about either religion or race, when in reality it's about culture.

But how do you establish a migrants culture before deciding if they can be allowed in?
    A white Christian born and raised in Saudi Arabia and totally immersed in Saudi culture is going to have a view of (to take one example) womens' rights and sexual freedom which is entirely incompatible with Western values. I don't think the religion or race of the person is as relevant as people seem to think it is - I'm firmly on the "nurture" side of the nature vs nurture argument when it comes to social norms, and as far as I'm concerned the real issue - which is what we should be talking about instead of making it about Muslims - is that there are many countries in the world whose societies function in a way which a majority of Irish people would find abhorrent, and that's why there's so much vocal and angry opposition to immigration from Middle Eastern and North African countries.

But would the people leaving those particular countries not be more likely to have rejected the norms there in favour of European ones?

This cuts both ways, as well - I'm pretty sure if Europe was going through a major crisis and a country like Saudi Arabia was being flooded with European migrants - among them, obviously, thousands of men and women who believe in gender equality and freedom of sexual expression as opposed to state mandated modesty in dress etc, the people of Saudi Arabia would be up in arms, because they would regard our way of living as totally incompatible with theirs.

In WW2, European refugees were housed in camps in Syria.
    I genuinely don't think religion has much to do with it. I mean, Ireland in the past had an extraordinarily f*cked up attitude towards women, but I'd imagine that a black, atheist son or daughter of American immigrants born and raised in this country would probably have ended up just as indoctrinated into the sexual repression bullsh!t as a white, Christian Irish kid.

I've spoken about this with an Egyptian muslim friend and she pretty much confirms the same - the religion itself isn't the issue, the issue is that certain countries have utterly toxic cultural values - values they would more than likely continue to hold regardless of how their country's religious history had or had not evolved.

In all honesty, how much does religion impose cultural values on a society versus how much does religion merely adopt the pre-existing cultural values of the society in which it first emerges?

Like I said before, if someone wants to judge Muslims by the actions of the worst of them then they should be OK with Christians being judged by the actions of groups like the Westboro Baptist Church.

Tl;dr, the problem isn't Islam, the problem is that certain countries operate in a way which is entirely incompatible with the way Ireland operates, and that's where the idea of assimilation vs multiculturalism becomes a legitimate political issue and not just "zomg racist!1!1!!11!!1!" like so many idiots like to automatically start shouting.

The problem with that is you are still judging a person based on where they are from instead of who they are and to many people that is no different to racism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Thomas__.

Interesting post. Multiculturalism isn't just wishful thinking, it is partially a reality or how would you see all the restaurants with 'exotic' dishes and shops where to buy all that stuff too?It is probably that 'native' people like that but prefer to have the immigrants integrate themselves into the local society? To what extent, I mean how far should that go?

Well... I lived seven years in China, and I'll be returning there later this year. I learned Chinese (my reading/writing sucks but my speaking is pretty good), and I even learned two local dialects. I ate their food (even when western food was available), I listened to their music, I attended the popular events, and went to their music concerts. I dated their women extensively. :D And I pretty much immersed myself in the life there.

But I'll always be a foreigner there. Being white, tall and having blue eyes, is just part of it. There is no expectation of fitting in. There are people from all over the world in China, but they will always be considered foreigners. As will their children.

Western countries/culture is different. We have a culture that seeks to embrace and provide excellent opportunities for integration. I think most people who haven't lived abroad outside of western countries don't really understand this. Western culture provides so many ways for people to merge with the existing society that most other cultures don't. I've lived in Russia, many parts of Asia, and met long-term expats in many other countries, and generally their experiences match mine.

This isn't about food. It's about attempting to merge with the local culture and adopting the customs which are common. It's about adopting similar values. In China, if you saw someone lying on the street in obvious distress, the vast majority of people would avoid them for fear that it's a scam of some sort. In most European countries, many (not all) people would show concern, and notify someone in authority, or involve themselves directly. The values of society and the manner in which they are expressed are different. Admittedly, the example is slowly going out of date since people are becoming more suspicious of strangers here.

You ask how far to take it? Learning the language is a good start. Not pushing the customs and traditions of your original country on to others is the next best move. The people who consistently fail to live long-term in China (despite their wishes otherwise) are the ones who believe their culture/values to be superior and seek to prove it. It would be the same here in western countries. Respect the host countrys culture.
     Further I'd like to ask what it really takes of integration to become Irish, apart from naturalisation, I mean from being acknowledged as Irish by the 'native' locals? I raise these questions to ask for the merit of it in order to change ones person identity which means give up and abandon old ties to ones own upbringing and cultural background but always obeying the law.

Don't rock the boat. It's really that simple. I succeed in China/Asia because I don't cause trouble and avoid the foreigners that do. The immigrants I know in Ireland (I teach English at the local community center) who don't set themselves apart due to their fashion (religious/cultural attire), who learn English, etc are the ones who become accepted in the community.Their country of origin becomes a footnote pretty quickly regardless of their skin color or religion. The immigrants here who stand out are the ones, who haven't sought to improve their English (and there are quite a few who don't), who do dress as they would at home, and generally remind everyone that they're not from around here all the time.

I'm suspicious of multiculturalism because it's very rare that i've seen it last longer than a decade or two. People just seem to feel the need to push their own customs/culture into the public space.

Thanks for that post. It's been a very interesting reading too as well as advisable. I have never been outside of Europe myself, never had the desire to. So my knowledge about far away countries isn't based on experiences such like yours. There are many things on which I agree with you. One thing in your post reminds me on the meaning of 'internationalism' in the old Communist Eastern Bloc states. In fact it is a sham cos in reality, regarding how they treated their own ethnic minorities and preferred their majority nationals, it was always 'us and them' no matter how much one was on their political line, the different ethnicity was always enough reasons for suspicion and discrimination. Because of that I am not surprised about what you said from your experiences in China. In your case you're a foreign national with foreign citizenship, in the example I refere to it was about people of different ethnicity but same citizenship with generations living in that area for generations, just that the country has changed due to the aftermath of WWI and WWII.

Anyway, I assume that you all adopted that in China because either you like it or you saw it necessary to get on with your life there, for practical reasons. It wasn't quite clear to me whether you intend to settle there permanently and that would make a difference. People who migrate to other countries because of work but with no intention to settle there for the rest of their lives have a different attitude and have therefore less interest in integration when they think that they will go back to their home country some time anyway. Therefore, to lead a life in a foreign country as you did in China is very recommendable as it can keep one out of trouble. I think that I would try to follow your example, with some exceptions (I am not fond of Asian food, therefore I would barely travel to such countries, the climate is another aspect I might have problems to cope with), but in principle and principal I would certainly do likewise as this is reasonable.

Now my time is running out for today and I'll be back after the weekend. Have a good time.

But how do you establish a migrants culture before deciding if they can be allowed in?
    By their origin country's culture.
    But would the people leaving those particular countries not be more likely to have rejected the norms there in favour of European ones?
    Why would they be? Unless they're political or cultural refugees. Most of the current migration into Europe are not. The vast majority are either fleeing war, or are economic migrants. The latter the larger number. Why would, or even should an economic migrant or for that matter a war refugee reject the cultural norms of their old country? Few among the Irish who emigrated for that reason did.
    Like I said before, if someone wants to judge Muslims by the actions of the worst of them then they should be OK with Christians being judged by the actions of groups like the Westboro Baptist Church.
    I see the angle, but in sheer numeric terms it's not comparable. Those nutters in the Us number what, thirty people? The percentage compared to Christians is beyond minuscule. The percentage of radical Muslims is also small, but it's significantly larger than that and as surveys throughout Europe have shown tacit and general approval for pretty "radical" cultural ideas not in line with the wider European cultural ideals among Muslims is much higher again.

By their origin country's culture.

That's just nonsense though. I'm an Irishman but I neither drink nor practice religion. By your standard I can be assumed to do both and be treated as if i do.
    Why would they be? Unless they're political or cultural refugees. Most of the current migration into Europe are not. The vast majority are either fleeing war, or are economic migrants. The latter the larger number. Why would, or even should an economic migrant or for that matter a war refugee reject the cultural norms of their old country? Few among the Irish who emigrated for that reason did.

But how will you know if they are cultural refugees if you are judging their culture by their country of origin?
    I see the angle, but in sheer numeric terms it's not comparable. Those nutters in the Us number what, thirty people? The percentage compared to Christians is beyond minuscule. The percentage of radical Muslims is also small, but it's significantly larger than that and as surveys throughout Europe have shown tacit and general approval for pretty "radical" cultural ideas not in line with the wider European cultural ideals among Muslims is much higher again.

Now you are just pulling numbers out of your ass.

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

You really want to see how radical your "average" Muslim is? Then draw a picture of Mohammed, dosent even need to be offensive, just a picture, then watch as every major European city is brought to a standstill still, it's happens before! Then compare that to the protests when someone blows up kids in the name of Mohammed. Some people really do have their head in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

There have been countless stories of Muslim immigrants degrading women and gay people all across Europe and generally not integrating into the countries that they have moved to, personally i was very pro migrant about a year (maybe a year and a half) ago but have completely 180'd on the topic and now have a serious feeling of discomfort when i think about Islam spreading to Ireland. Am i the only person who feels like we have enough problems without adding this new religion into the mix? the idea that governments want to change the views of their own people rather than address the source of the issue (in my eyes Islam and the less liberal nations from which these groups originate)scares me because it sends us back to the times of keeping everything silent, it will only lead to another catholic church situation where eventually their atrocities all come to light at once.

Question?
    Are you talking about Islam becoming a more popular religion with Irish residents or immigration from Islamic counties?

More non drinkers in the country would be a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

If it was your daughter who had suffered an attack you'd hardly say it was only a "sexual assault" love, not a rape.

Wait, if my daughter WASN'T raped, I'd go round saying she WAS, because....???

There's a scene from a TV comedy series, aired back in the 1980s, called The Irish RM. Based on the stories of Somerville & Ross, it's the adventures of a retired very British army officer (Peter Bowles) who takes up a post as a magistrate in 19th century Ireland. Much of the humour is about the culture clash and misunderstandings that arise between this frightfully frightfully Victorian gentlemen and the native "cute hoors".

One early episode has the RM presiding over a court in which a local barfly and ne-er do well (Niall Toibin) is charged with grievous bodily harm after a night in the tavern.

RM: "Well, what do you have to say for yourself?"
    Toibin: "Well your honour. The man had [offered some mild provocation] so when, I saw him in the bar, I squared up to him, and when he made a move.....well, I killed him dead, yer honour"
    RM (aghast): "Am I to understand you murdered this gentleman?"
    Toibin (triumphantly): "I murdered him all right, your honour. And he'll remember it till the day he dies!"

Except, they were joking. I think you're serious. And that's not funny at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

Wait, if my daughter WASN'T raped, I'd go round saying she WAS, because....???

There's a scene from a TV comedy series, aired back in the 1980s, called The Irish RM. Based on the stories of Somerville & Ross, it's the adventures of a retired very British army officer (Peter Bowles) who takes up a post as a magistrate in 19th century Ireland. Much of the humour is about the culture clash and misunderstandings that arise between this frightfully frightfully Victorian gentlemen and the native "cute hoors".

One early episode has the RM presiding over a court in which a local barfly and ne-er do well (Niall Toibin) is charged with grievous bodily harm after a night in the tavern.

RM: "Well, what do you have to say for yourself?"
    Toibin: "Well your honour. The man had [offered some mild provocation] so when, I saw him in the bar, I squared up to him, and when he made a move.....well, I killed him dead, yer honour"
    RM (aghast): "Am I to understand you murdered this gentleman?"
    Toibin (triumphantly): "I murdered him all right, your honour. And he'll remember it till the day he dies!"

Except, they were joking. I think you're serious. And that's not funny at all.

You know that if this was a group of skinheads had committed this mass sexual assault in Germany on that NYE there is no way you would be in a thread trying to diminish it, you sir are a hypocrite. I wonder how you reacted to the Harvey Weinstein scandal and the #metoo movement, where you vocal in your disgust or did you also try and convince people that was no big deal and not like proper rape?

That's just nonsense though. I'm an Irishman but I neither drink nor practice religion. By your standard I can be assumed to do both and be treated as if i do.

It's not just his standard. It's an international standard. I'm Irish. Wherever I travel to I am judged by the land of my birth, and my appearance. The facts don't matter much. I don't like alcohol much. I'm not much into lad activities. Can't be bothered with sports. Which is pretty much the perception about Irish people abroad. Oh, and that the men can be very charming. I do work on that one.

And when people don't know much about Ireland, they'll assume it's the same as English, and apply their perception of England on me.

There is this expectation in Europe that we must behave differently than other nations in how they treat others. Can't see why myself.
    But how will you know if they are cultural refugees if you are judging their culture by their country of origin?

Because our values tend to come from our local culture. Religion, social conditioning, education... all of these things are components of the local culture, and also that of our national culture. We might have very different personal values, but in all likelihood, we still share many values with those of our own countrymen (countrypeople?). There are exceptions, but you cannot create a general immigration policy based on the exceptions.

Belfast wrote: »
    Question?
    Are you talking about Islam becoming a more popular religion with Irish residents or immigration for Islamic counties?

More non drinkers in the country would be a good start.

Many Muslims drink Alcohol. Especially younger muslims before they get married. They're just not considered to be good muslims. They'll often go live in another country (usually Asia or 3rd world) embracing all the non-muslim ideals for a few years, and then return to their families later having tried everything. And then switch to being wonderful muslims.

• Advertisement

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    You know that if this was a group of skinheads had committed this mass sexual assault in Germany on that NYE there is no way you would be in a thread trying to diminish it, you sir are a hypocrite. I wonder how you reacted to the Harvey Weinstein scandal and the #metoo movement, where you vocal in your disgust or did you also try and convince people that was no big deal and not like proper rape?

Who's the hypocrite?

One who states what crimes are actually alleged to have happened; or one who, egged on by the paranoia of bigots, automatically upgrades the allegations to crimes that, for the most part did NOT happen?

Are you Irish? Did you go to school here? Did you remember being taught about the Rising of 1641 and how the dastardly English and Scots "exaggerated" the legend of the "Bloody Massacre" beyond what actually did happen to a level where the total number of deaths alleged was greater than the planter population as a whole at the time?
    Which was then used by Cromwell a few years later as a justification for his slaughter of the garrison at Drogheda? "This is a righteous judgement of God on these barbarous wretches"

What actually happened was bad enough. Why do you need to lie about it?

Thanks for that post. It's been a very interesting reading too as well as advisable. I have never been outside of Europe myself, never had the desire to.

You should. It broadens the mind and makes you see Western culture in a very different way.
    So my knowledge about far away countries isn't based on experiences such like yours. There are many things on which I agree with you. One thing in your post reminds me on the meaning of 'internationalism' in the old Communist Eastern Bloc states. In fact it is a sham cos in reality, regarding how they treated their own ethnic minorities and preferred their majority nationals, it was always 'us and them' no matter how much one was on their political line, the different ethnicity was always enough reasons for suspicion and discrimination. Because of that I am not surprised about what you said from your experiences in China.

And you're describing pretty much everywhere that is not Europe (or the US 30 years ago). It's only westerners that expect to integrate so much into other societies, and tolerate other cultures not doing the same in their own countries.
    In your case you're a foreign national with foreign citizenship, in the example I refere to it was about people of different ethnicity but same citizenship with generations living in that area for generations, just that the country has changed due to the aftermath of WWI and WWII.

I know an English man who has lived in Tokyo since before WW2, speaks better Japanese than the locals, married to a Japanese woman, was imprisoned in Japan during the war, and has children living there. He's still a foreigner and always will be.
    Anyway, I assume that you all adopted that in China because either you like it or you saw it necessary to get on with your life there, for practical reasons. It wasn't quite clear to me whether you intend to settle there permanently and that would make a difference. People who migrate to other countries because of work but with no intention to settle there for the rest of their lives have a different attitude and have therefore less interest in integration when they think that they will go back to their home country some time anyway.

Yes and no. I never intended to settle forever in China. TBH I'll probably never settle anywhere. I immersed myself in Chinese culture because traditional Chinese culture is mostly dead, and the modern Chinese culture changes so often... I'm fascinated by the contradictions within their own society and how they perceive their own culture. It's interesting to see how superficial everything is... and that, in turn, helps me to see western culture better.

People are people. In reality we should be talking about individuals, since what drives people to live and do things is usually a personal experience. However, It's impractical to talk about the individual when talking about Immigration, or... deeply religious people, which most Muslims are.
    Therefore, to lead a life in a foreign country as you did in China is very recommendable as it can keep one out of trouble. I think that I would try to follow your example, with some exceptions (I am not fond of Asian food, therefore I would barely travel to such countries, the climate is another aspect I might have problems to cope with), but in principle and principal I would certainly do likewise as this is reasonable.

Now my time is running out for today and I'll be back after the weekend. Have a good time.

Um. I suspect I've been "in trouble" more than most people... :D

And don't judge Asia based on what you think you know. It's the same with pretty much any country or cultural group outside of the West. You can assume certain things when talking about Europe, or the US, because they share a value system and other cultural indicators (and you grew up in a western nation). You can't really do the same when you're talking about other places.

For example. I talked to dozens of expats before I went to Iran. The thought of going there filled me with dread based on past experiences in other Muslim countries, but the experience itself was brilliant. Wonderful country, and fantastic people. I wouldn't want to live there myself, but a great experience. Same with dozens of other countries I've stayed in. I don't mean traveling for a week or two, but staying in one city for a few months or a year. Gives you a much different perspective on everything. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

We have only just got rid of the shackles of the RCC in this country do we really want an even more extreme ideology lauding over us just think about it for a moment.

tyskie17 wrote:
    video doing the rounds now of 2 refugees attacking a german girl in berlin ubahn station
    that's what marxists want to bring here
    hang a traitor first

.express .de/news/panorama/u-bahn-attacke-duo-ueberfaellt-maedchen-und-schlaegt-ihr-bierflasche-auf-den-kopf-30044822
    hit with a beer bottle on the head and fights them

OK I've got a question. Who's tyskie17? Although he/she/zie/it has a profile page it says they are responsible for zero posts and there is no link to this original posting that has somehow appeared in "replies" from one or two people.

Suspicious? Please investigate mods.

Second, if you click on the link to the German paper which posts the video you see a horrendous assault on a young woman by a young thug wielding a bottle. It is clearly an attempt at robbery, as he is joined by an accomplice and they try to wrestle with the young lady but she kicks and lashes at them and fights them off.

Fair play to her. Good on ya girl!!

Nowhere does it allege that the men are "refugees".
    Nowhere does it allege that the assault was anything other than an attempted robbery.
    The pictures posted later of the two men are inconclusive as to what ethnicity they are. They could be from anywhere.

Personally, I hope the two thugs are caught, tried and imprisoned for the crimes of assault, attempted robbery and (given that they are clearly male and the victim is clearly female) you can probably work in a charge of sexual assault as well.

Is that not enough?

Why can't we tell it like it is? Why exaggerate something that is already bad enough to have the two creeps banged up anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Mutant z wrote: »
    By forcing Islamic customs on an unwilling Irish population its already happening with the likes of Ali Salim dictating to schools what their dress codes should be it starts of small but keeps getting bigger and bigger and before you know it you're under their spell.
    RustyNut wrote: »
    What school did he "dictate"to? Or are you just making thing up?

Did you manage to find out which school Ali Salim dictated the dress code to? I had a quick Google but couldn't find it. I don't think it actually happened, I awate you proving me wrong or are you just a purveyor of fake news?

That's only a couple of surface stereotypes. You're an Irishman so I could reasonably assume you share certain western liberal cultural values of your origin country. And I'd be pretty accurate.
    Simple enough. If they're running away from their country of origin out of bias and threat because they're a social/political/religious minority in that country would be one example.
    Now you are just pulling numbers out of your ass.
    You're the person who held up a group of less than 40 people as an example of radical Christians informing how outsiders would think of Christianity as a whole. I pointed out that cultural attitudes to certain aspects of western culture are far more widespread in Islamic communities living in the West and beyond. Here's a link from CNN about a survey of British Muslims for a Channel Four programme. Another about another BBC survey from the Independent.

"More than half of British Muslims (52%) think homosexuality should not be legal, and nearly half (47%) think it is not appropriate for gay people to teach in schools, according to a new survey of British Muslims."

And

"The survey also found British Muslims more likely than the general population to sympathize with terrorism "as a form of political protest," although support was very low -- 4% of Muslims said they sympathized, compared with 1% of the general public.

The Muslims interviewed were also more likely to support the ISIS objective of creating an Islamic state, regardless of the methods involved, with 7% expressing support, compared with 2% of the general public.

Muslims were also much more likely to say Jewish people had too much power in Britain (35% agreed, compared with 9% of the general population); that it was acceptable for Muslim men to have more than one wife (31% of Muslims agreed versus 9% of the public); and that a woman should always obey her husband (39% of Muslims agreed, compared with 5% of the public)."

And

"11 per cent of British Muslims sympathise with fighting against the West? That 20 per cent of them believe Western liberal society can never be compatible with Islam? That 11 per cent feel that organisations which publish images of the Prophet Mohammed deserve to be attacked?"

When just under a quarter of British Muslims feel western liberal society can never be compatible with Islam that's just a tad different to two families of religious christian nutters in the US. Unless you think that radical Islamists number under 50 people? If anyone is exploring arses for numbers I fear it's not me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

thebull85 wrote: »

Diversity and Cultural Enrichment at work.

Yep that's just the start of it believe me we are in for an extremely bumpy road ahead.

Taking Tips from the IRA I see. At least gives a warning eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Yep that's just the start of it believe me we are in for an extremely bumpy road ahead.

.....No hurling from the ditch here, I see.

• Advertisement

Was this kid a Muslim or are ye just hoping he is or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Doesn't say anything about religion or nationality in the article from what I can tell.

But he must have been of course. No chance whatsoever that it was just a screwed up teenager looking for attention. None at all

Why will Ireland be different?

What makes us better then France Germany or Sweden?

My question above is still up for anyone to answer feel free to if ye can. Been up past 2 days no reply yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

My question above is still up for anyone to answer feel free to if ye can. Been up past 2 days no reply yet

You're not the first here on boards to ask that question, ive yet to see an answer.

If the kid was white we would have known from the start and media would be in full virtue signalling mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

wexie wrote: »
    Doesn't say anything about religion or nationality in the article from what I can tell.

But he must have been of course. No chance whatsoever that it was just a screwed up teenager looking for attention. None at all

Turbulent male teenagers? Surely not.

That's only a couple of surface stereotypes. You're an Irishman so I could reasonably assume you share certain western liberal cultural values of your origin country. And I'd be pretty accurate.

Liberal cultural values? In a country where over 80% describe themselves as practicing Catholics? Where only 60% voted to allow gay marriage? Where abortion is a criminal offence? Where the Church is involved at a management level in almost every school and hospital? It seems you only wish to recognise the good Irish stereotypes and the bad Middle East ones.
    Simple enough. If they're running away from their country of origin out of bias and threat because they're a social/political/religious minority in that country would be one example.

But how can you judge that? They are from that country so by your test they represent the culture of that country. If they represent the culture of that country then they can't really be running from it so they should not be let in. What you've done is create a circular test that is impossible to pass.
    You're the person who held up a group of less than 40 people as an example of radical Christians informing how outsiders would think of Christianity as a whole. I pointed out that cultural attitudes to certain aspects of western culture are far more widespread in Islamic communities living in the West and beyond. Here's a link from CNN about a survey of British Muslims for a Channel Four programme. Another about another BBC survey from the Independent.

"More than half of British Muslims (52%) think homosexuality should not be legal, and nearly half (47%) think it is not appropriate for gay people to teach in schools, according to a new survey of British Muslims."

And

"The survey also found British Muslims more likely than the general population to sympathize with terrorism "as a form of political protest," although support was very low -- 4% of Muslims said they sympathized, compared with 1% of the general public.

The Muslims interviewed were also more likely to support the ISIS objective of creating an Islamic state, regardless of the methods involved, with 7% expressing support, compared with 2% of the general public.

Muslims were also much more likely to say Jewish people had too much power in Britain (35% agreed, compared with 9% of the general population); that it was acceptable for Muslim men to have more than one wife (31% of Muslims agreed versus 9% of the public); and that a woman should always obey her husband (39% of Muslims agreed, compared with 5% of the public)."

And

"11 per cent of British Muslims sympathise with fighting against the West? That 20 per cent of them believe Western liberal society can never be compatible with Islam? That 11 per cent feel that organisations which publish images of the Prophet Mohammed deserve to be attacked?"

When just under a quarter of British Muslims feel western liberal society can never be compatible with Islam that's just a tad different to two families of religious christian nutters in the US. Unless you think that radical Islamists number under 50 people? If anyone is exploring arses for numbers I fear it's not me.

You're simply trying to play margins now. My point is that you cannot judge a person based on their nationality or religion. Even if 80% of Muslims hated gays, your still advocating treating the other 20% as if they do to.

Because it's a loaded question. It assumes that there is something wrong with those countries, an assumption people have rejected.

If the kid was white we would have known from the start and media would be in full virtue signalling mode.

So it's not just muslims, it's non white people you want to discriminate against. I'm sure there is a name for that.

Because it's a loaded question. It assumes that there is something wrong with those countries, an assumption people have rejected.

Not true, going by people living in those countries and all Videos and News Reports about different events that happened there.

It should be very simple question to answer I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Your having a laugh. If he was a immigrant or someone born to immigrant parents, it would be mentioned. Pretending that the media doesn't normally mention those details is hilarious.

The Irish independent article that is linked from "Lovin Dublin", says he had no weapons and he was apprehended without any issue (school wasn't even put into lock down) and your average ISIS terrorist tends not to ring the authorities and tell them what there going to do.

• Advertisement

So it's not just muslims, it's non white people you want to discriminate against. I'm sure there is a name for that.

Lol. And you're probably one of those worthless virtue signalers that's ready to flee if something does happen.

Not true, going by people living in those countries and all Videos and News Reports about different events that happened there.

It should be very simple question to answer I would imagine.

It's your opinion though. And you are asking people to argue something based on a foundation of your opinion, a foundation many don't agree with.

Liberal cultural values? In a country where over 80% describe themselves as practicing Catholics? Where only 60% voted to allow gay marriage? Where abortion is a criminal offence? Where the Church is involved at a management level in almost every school and hospital? It seems you only wish to recognise the good Irish stereotypes and the bad Middle East ones.
    If you think that Ireland isn't a liberal western nation and any ME or Islamic country gets within an asses roar of being as liberal I truly don't know a) what world you live in or b) what to say to you, or c) figure you're yet another Irish person with the chip on their shoulder about a "good old Ireland" that no longer exists. Maybe you wish it did so you can rail against it, but it doesn't. Only 30 years ago there was no divorce, no contraception, no gay rights, no marriage rights for women in the case of rape, women had to give up their jobs after marriage, even the thought of a vote to change the abortion laws would have unthinkable and the church had a tight grip on the society. Look at today. Have an oul compare and contrast. That contrast is stark. I can think of few European nations that had a turnaround so quickly.

80% practising Catholics eh? Take a tour around the churches of a Sunday and see the numbers. During the week all you'll have is tumbleweed. If they're not locked. They might tick the box on the census, but rather like those who tick "Irish speaking" on the same census the reality is quite different. And yes 60% did vote for gay marriage. It passed. No doubt many if not most going by the odds were also in that 80% "practising catholics". You'd probably still be unhappy if it was 80%. You're actually doing what you accuse me off below. Not untypical. The abortion being a criminal offence is up for a vote and I'd bet the yes vote will get it.
    But how can you judge that? They are from that country so by your test they represent the culture of that country. If they represent the culture of that country then they can't really be running from it so they should not be let in. What you've done is create a circular test that is impossible to pass.
    What you've done is completely ignore the obvious. There are cultures within cultures(that I have to explain this...). The overarching culture is the one in "charge" as it were. People not belonging to that overarching culture are regularly targeted by it. The examples are legion. But let's imagine a Marsh Arab family escapes from Iraq 20 years ago, they may be Iraqi by geography, but not by culture and the main culture oppressed them.
    You're simply trying to play margins now.
    Margins are important. You do get that? If I go to some region and a local tells me with authority that 80% of the snakes are deadly poisonous, only an idiot would be blasround snakes they encounter.
    My point is that you cannot judge a person based on their nationality or religion. Even if 80% of Muslims hated gays, your still advocating treating the other 20% as if they do to.
    If 80% hated gay people you'd be fine with taking the very real societal risks if thousands of such people were welcomed into a country, just because a minority were OK with gay people? Like I said I really dunno what to say to that. There's only so far being virtuous will take one before one drifts into the arena of being gullible. It's no wonder quite the number of non Westerners consider us weak.
    Some more naive and blinkered maybe. Walk around Paris today. Spot the heavily armed forces on the street. Compare it to twenty years ago. And not just France. Yeah, nothing wrong there at all. Nothing to see, move along folks. The blindness of the "right on" is truly unbelievable.

Which for me is nearly as bad as the full on racists. By ignoring a very real problem in those societies and claiming it's nothing much, margins you know, is beyond silly. If one is afraid to ask the questions, then no answers can be forthcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

What does Mrs Merkel think?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/12/14/angela-merkel-multiculturalism-is-a-sham/?utm_term=.0615fd4c8d75

"Multiculturalism leads to parallel societies and therefore remains a ‘life lie,’ ” or a sham, she said

In fact, she was only repeating a sentiment she first voiced several years ago when she said multiculturalism in Germany had "utterly failed."

"Of course the tendency had been to say, 'Let's adopt the multicultural concept and live happily side by side, and be happy to be living with each other.' But this concept has failed, and failed utterly..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/17/angela-merkel-german-multiculturalism-failed

The German chancellor, Angela Merkel, has courted growing anti-immigrant opinion in Germany by claiming the country's attempts to create a multicultural society have "utterly failed".

"This [multicultural] approach has failed, utterly failed," Merkel told the meeting in Potsdam, west of Berlin, yesterday.

Go out and insult both Jesus and Mohammed in public and see which one gets you the strongest reaction.

2 Scoops wrote: »
    What does Mrs Merkel think?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/12/14/angela-merkel-multiculturalism-is-a-sham/?utm_term=.0615fd4c8d75

"Multiculturalism leads to parallel societies and therefore remains a ‘life lie,’ ” or a sham, she said

In fact, she was only repeating a sentiment she first voiced several years ago when she said multiculturalism in Germany had "utterly failed."

"Of course the tendency had been to say, 'Let's adopt the multicultural concept and live happily side by side, and be happy to be living with each other.' But this concept has failed, and failed utterly..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/17/angela-merkel-german-multiculturalism-failed

The German chancellor, Angela Merkel, has courted growing anti-immigrant opinion in Germany by claiming the country's attempts to create a multicultural society have "utterly failed".

"This [multicultural] approach has failed, utterly failed," Merkel told the meeting in Potsdam, west of Berlin, yesterday.
    Well she's fully responsible for it all its a bit late for her to be backtracking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I have to say that while I disagree almost completely with Wibbs it is good to read a well thought out informed opinion. It's posts like these that can change opinions or at least shine a different light on the subject.

I'd love to have the time to fact check the rest of the posts in this thread, when I read a lot of the anti Muslim posts I just keep seeing this guy and getting a giggle, keep it up lads.

If you think that Ireland isn't a liberal western nation and any ME or Islamic country gets within an asses roar of being as liberal I truly don't know a) what world you live in or b) what to say to you, or c) figure you're yet another Irish person with the chip on their shoulder about a "good old Ireland" that no longer exists. Maybe you wish it did so you can rail against it, but it doesn't. Only 30 years ago there was no divorce, no contraception, no gay rights, no marriage rights for women in the case of rape, women had to give up their jobs after marriage, even the thought of a vote to change the abortion laws would have unthinkable and the church had a tight grip on the society. Look at today. Have an oul compare and contrast. That contrast is stark. I can think of few European nations that had a turnaround so quickly.

80% practising Catholics eh? Take a tour around the churches of a Sunday and see the numbers. During the week all you'll have is tumbleweed. If they're not locked. They might tick the box on the census, but rather like those who tick "Irish speaking" on the same census the reality is quite different. And yes 60% did vote for gay marriage. It passed. No doubt many if not most going by the odds were also in that 80% "practising catholics". You'd probably still be unhappy if it was 80%. You're actually doing what you accuse me off below. Not untypical. The abortion being a criminal offence is up for a vote and I'd bet the yes vote will get it.

I think Ireland is liberal. But the statistics and practical facts don't agree. Which is why I think it's stupid to try and judge someone based on such things.
    What you've done is completely ignore the obvious. There are cultures within cultures(that I have to explain this...). The overarching culture is the one in "charge" as it were. People not belonging to that overarching culture are regularly targeted by it. The examples are legion. But let's imagine a Marsh Arab family escapes from Iraq 20 years ago, they may be Iraqi by geography, but not by culture and the main culture oppressed them.

I'm not the one ignoring subcultures. I'm not the one suggesting people be judged based on their religion or nationality.
    Margins are important. You do get that? If I go to some region and a local tells me with authority that 80% of the snakes are deadly poisonous, only an idiot would be blasround snakes they encounter. If 80% hated gay people you'd be fine with taking the very real societal risks if thousands of such people were welcomed into a country, just because a minority were OK with gay people? Like I said I really dunno what to say to that. There's only so far being virtuous will take one before one drifts into the arena of being gullible. It's no wonder quite the number of non Westerners consider us weak.

You still don't get it. I simply don't believe in judging people based on their nationality or where they are from. Once you start labeling people based on the group they happen to come from I don't see any difference between that and racism.
    Some more naive and blinkered maybe. Walk around Paris today. Spot the heavily armed forces on the street. Compare it to twenty years ago. And not just France. Yeah, nothing wrong there at all. Nothing to see, move along folks. The blindness of the "right on" is truly unbelievable.

I don't see precaution as an issue. We've had armed patrols and checkpoints on our own streets recently.
    Which for me is nearly as bad as the full on racists. By ignoring a very real problem in those societies and claiming it's nothing much, margins you know, is beyond silly. If one is afraid to ask the questions, then no answers can be forthcoming.

Nobody has said issues should be ignored.

It's your opinion though. And you are asking people to argue something based on a foundation of your opinion, a foundation many don't agree with.

It's not my opinion. The facts and coverage is global

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Well she's fully responsible for it all its a bit late for her to be backtracking now.

This is some slap in the face for her.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/europe/jewish-men-attacked-in-berlin-1-whipped-with-belt/2018/04/18/fcf09b94-42fb-11e8-b2dc-b0a403e4720a_story.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement