Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

How would you know as you are a new account registered this month? The cafe issue happened last year what boards name did you have last year?
    been on boards a while:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Grayson wrote: »
    If you can't be bothered to look for the post, once again that says more about you than me. You are in your own bubble and don't want to find information that doesn't fit your narative.

BTW Sweden is one of the freest countries when it comes to censorship. They are also ranked second in the world for press freedom.
    https://rsf.org/en/sweden

The only way you can get a country like Sweden to fit your narrative is to live in a bubble.

Nonsense. Sweden is heavily censored. Ive actually been there . And everytime I bring up the subject with Swedes abroad they agree with me not with you. I've met Swedes abroad in a wide variety of settings. The latest Swede I spoke about this with was on the Costa Del Sol just last week and was a retired gentleman who said his country had changed completely because the immigrants didnt appreciate what was done for them.

Weapons from a faraway, long-ago war are flowing into immigrant neighborhoods here, puncturing Swedes’ sense of confidence and security. The country’s murder rate remains low, by American standards, and violent crime is stable or dropping in many places. But gang-related assaults and shootings are becoming more frequent, and the number of neighborhoods categorized by the police as “marred by crime, social unrest and insecurity” is rising. Crime and immigration are certain to be key issues in September’s general election, alongside the traditional debates over education and health care.
    Continue reading the main story

Part of the reason is that Sweden’s gang violence, long contained within low-income suburbs, has begun to spill out. In large cities, hospitals report armed confrontations in emergency rooms, and school administrators say threats and weapons have become commonplace. Last week two men from Uppsala, both in their 20s, were arrested on charges of throwing grenades at the home of a bank employee who investigates fraud cases.

An earlier jolt came with the death of Mr. Zuniga, who on Jan. 7 picked up the grenade, which the police believe had been thrown by members of a local gang targeting a rival gang or police officers.

Paulus Borisho, 55, was in his kebab shop around 50 feet away, and the explosion made his windows shudder. He ran outside to see a thin column of black smoke rising. Mr. Zuniga lay on the bike path, curled on his side.

Like many of his neighbors in Varby Gard, Mr. Borisho had sought asylum in Sweden to escape a war. He knew what a grenade sounded like. As a commando in a Lebanese militia, he had handled grenades, and remembered the strict protocols he complied with, locking up the weapons for safe keeping the minute he returned to camp.

That a grenade should be found on the sidewalk outside a kebab shop, a few steps from an elementary school, was difficult for him to take in.

“Now, when I think of the future, I am afraid,” he said. “I am afraid for Europe.”

Illegal weapons often enter Sweden over the Oresund Bridge, a 10-mile span that links the southern city of Malmo to Denmark. When it opened, in 2000, the bridge symbolized the unfurling of a vibrant, borderless Europe, but in recent years it has been more closely associated with smuggling, of people, weapons and drugs.
    Last year, Peter Springare, 61, a veteran police officer in Orebro, published a furious Facebook post saying violent crimes he was investigating were committed by immigrants from “Iraq, Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Somalia, Syria again, Somalia, unknown country, unknown country, Sweden.” It was shared more than 20,000 times; Mr. Springare has since been investigated twice by state prosecutors, once for inciting racial hatred, though neither resulted in charges.
    Sellers in Bosnia and Serbia have networks in Sweden’s diaspora and are so eager to unload excess grenades, often rusted from decades in storage, that they throw them in free with the purchase of AK-47s, Mr. Appelgren said. In Sweden the street price of a hand grenade is 100 kroner, or $12.50.

“It’s odd,” said Manne Gerell, a lecturer in criminology at Malmo University. “I don’t know of any Western country with a similar use of hand grenades. Our hypothesis is that they are used to send a message. Not so much as a weapon, as a tool for intimidation. You don’t need perfect aim. You are not trying to kill a particular person.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/world/europe/sweden-crime-immigration-hand-grenades.html

IT WAS supposed to be a sneaky afternoon cigarette break. Then a gunman in black appeared and shot 15-year-old Robin Sinisalo in the head. His older brother Alejandro was shot four times. Robin died immediately on the doorstep of his home in north-west Stockholm. Alejandro was left in a wheelchair for life. Two years later, the boys’ mother, Carolina, says the police still have no leads.

Robin’s fate is increasingly common in Sweden. In 2011 only 17 people were killed by firearms. In 2017 the country had over 300 shootings, leaving 41 people dead and over 100 injured. The violence mostly stems from street gangs running small-time drug operations in big cities such as Stockholm, the capital, Malmö and Gothenburg.

Now here is the real kicker :(
    . Most gang members are indeed first- or second-generation immigrants—72% of them, according to one report, but they tend not to be new arrivals. It takes years for migrants to be settled enough to be sucked into crime, says Amir Rostami of Stockholm University. Sweden accepted lots of asylum-seekers in the 1980s and 1990s from countries like Iraq, Somalia and the former Yugoslavia.
    https://www.economist.com/news/europe/21738389-young-men-kalashnikovs-have-upset-swedish-sense-security-why-are-young-men-sweden

^^ The current massive wave hasnt even really hit yet

Grayson wrote: »
    Culture may matter but no-one has demonstrated that an islamic conquering culture exists today in any major form. Sure ISIS exist but they're a fringe group that the vast majority of muslims detest.

Exists today? They sure tried previously, but then you consider that to be the normal affairs of all nations, which it is (in a way), but your logic precludes any chance that the desire for expansion is for any other reason than everyone else's. Territory.

The expansion of territory usually results in the spreading of your own culture and the destruction of other cultures. There have been a number of rather large Islamic empires, with large military power and little hesitation in using them, until they invariably destroyed themselves through corruption and internal strife.

In modern days, the existence of much stronger western powers limited their ability to expand, first with the British Empire, and then with the US stepping in to block any such ventures. The British and French pretty much boxed in Islamic Expansion in both the M.East and Africa for centuries, and then the US rose to replace the British. Limited options to expand into.
    As for the gods will thing, I see that often. Firstly in the west we have plenty of religious people in power. In the US the religious right are very powerful. In Russia they jailed people for blasphemy. In Poland and Hungary you can see them too. People, whether they are Muslim or christian believe this nonsense

Yes, but you're separating religion from culture and taking them individually. Religion and culture in certain civilisations are intertwined. Our own cultures have moved away from that state but Islamic countries, for the most part, haven't.
    However no-one is saying we need to stop american Christians or religious eastern Europeans from coming here. If they said that I'd think they were wrong but I would have a lot more respect for their argument if they applied it universally rather than targeting one group. You don't see protests against Jehovah's witnesses building a temple.

Because they're not coming here in enough numbers to cause trouble... Obviously. And we don't have any indication of violence or conflict from these other groups whereas we do with Islamic groups.
    Secondly there seems to be a belief that Muslims are proper Muslims but Christians aren't proper Christians. Muslims take their religion seriously, Christians don't. That's not true. Loads of muslims drink, loads of Christians are pioneers. There's a huge amount of variation within islam.

Indeed, there are. However, as Islamic states destabilize, we are going to receive more ignorant farmers, peasants, and the uneducated. We are going to get the people who do believe in Islam, as Christians might follow the old testament. And we're going to get them in numbers.

But I agree. And I've said it before on this thread, there are variations within Islam. They're just not 'good' muslims. And as they enter Europe, they're going to be watched and judged by the "good" muslims.
    And no-one is suggesting "pandering". Let Muslims practice their religion. Let them build a mosque in kilkenny. None of that is pandering it's giving people the same rights Christians, Buddhists and everyone else has.

Allow them to practice their religion/culture. I have no issue with that. As long as it does not directly affect non-muslims. I'm not calling for the destruction of Islam or the removal of their traditions. I am against the use of their traditions on Western women without consideration that they are not in their own country. I'm against the modesty gangs. I'm against the seeking of Sharia law to be recognised within European borders.

I'm very agreeable to recognising the problems we have and finding reasonable answers for them.
    If a Muslim steps out of line and breaks the law then arrest them the same you would with anyone else. But don't restrict them in a way you wouldn't restrict others.

No problem with that. IF they stay a clear minority, then it shouldn't be an issue. But with the perception on immigration by westerners now, Muslims will not remain a clear minority much longer in many European countries, and there will be greater numbers of refugees over the coming years expecting a place in Europe...
    Finally, Imans. [/url]

Snipped. yes, I am aware. I've also encountered them in five Islamic countries and seen their influence firsthand. It's like how my parents described the Christian priest of their childhood. Serious power within the society.

Our grandchildren will think we were blind idiots

In the zero migration scenario, the Muslim population in Europe is expected to rise from 4.9% to 7.4%. Apart from Cyprus, which has a high Muslim share (25.4%) due to the historical presence of Turkish Cypriots in the north of the island, France would have Europe’s biggest share of population with 12.7%, up from 8.8%.

In the medium migration scenario - perhaps the most likely - Sweden would have the biggest share of population at 20.5%. The UK’s share would rise from 6.3% in 2016 to 16.7%. Finland’s Muslim share would grow from 2.7% to 11.4% and most western European countries would face a big jump.

If high migration continues until 2050, Sweden’s Muslim share will grow to 30.6%, Finland’s to 15% and Norway’s to 17%. In eastern Europe, most countries will continue to have a relatively low Muslim share of population, with only Hungary and Greece seeing significant increases from 2016.

Apart from migration, the number of Muslims in Europe is set to grow considerably through natural increases. Europe’s Muslims have more children than members of other religious groups, or people of no religion, the study shows. The European average fertility rate is 2.6 for Muslims compared to 1.6 for non-Muslims.

The Muslim population is also much younger than non-Muslims. The proportion of Muslims under the age of 15 is 27%, nearly double the proportion of under-15 non-Muslims at 15%.

“While Europe’s Muslim population is expected to grow in all three scenarios - and more than double in the medium and high migration scenarios – Europe’s non-Muslims, on the other hand, are projected to decline in total number in each scenario,” says the Pew report.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/29/muslim-population-in-europe-could-more-than-double

They make quite an impression on the French
    In December 2016, The Local reported that the French are one of the worst nations in the world for overestimating the Muslim population in their country, according to a study by market research company Ipsos Mori.

French people reckoned that 31 percent of the population was Muslim, when the real figure according to Pew research in 2010 was 7.5 percent.
    https://www.thelocal.fr/20171201/how-frances-muslim-population-will-grow-in-the-future

Europe's Muslim population projected to increase by 50m by 2050 in 'high migration' scenario

Even if all immigration stops numbers will continue to grow over next few decades
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/muslim-population-europe-rise-estimates-projections-stats-pew-research-center-a8085871.html#commentsDiv

A century ago Christians made up 20% of Turkey's population, the figure is now just 0.2%.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-30241181/turkey-s-declining-christian-population

Islam does not play well with anything else. 14% of the population is enough to really divide and ruin a country.

• Advertisement

I`d really like to hear what % people would deem as acceptable to have as muslim and if you dont believe in a limit then why not?

Some more fun facts for you:

A report by the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism - The Hague (ICCT) from April 2016 shows that there is a total of 3,922-4,294 foreign fighters from EU Member States of whom 30 percent have returned to their home countries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_fighters_in_the_Syrian_and_Iraqi_Civil_Wars#Western_countries

More fun reading:
    http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/11/01/the-islamic-states-foreign-fighters-are-coming-home/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

No. Simple as. NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No.. we have had enough destructive influences from religion in this country without inviting another - potentially more dangerous - one to take root.

We've taken decades to shake the worst of Catholic influence on our society and its people (with work still left to be done both in terms of things like the education system, but also the peace process in the North).
    Ireland has made huge strides in the past 2 decades socially and we absolutely do not need to be going back to a situation where scripture and archaic laws influence the rest of our society.

If you come to Ireland you adapt to OUR way of doing things - not demand concessions for your own cultural or religious norms. While you're free to believe whatever you want (and that includes the Catholics), that does not extent to affecting the lives or beliefs of others. If you don't like that, there's plenty of other countries where you will fit in far easier and you should try those.

My tolerance for this sort of thing has dramatically lessened in recent years - not just because of attacks (terrorism with religious justifications is not new to Islam nor a stranger to this island), but because of the far more serious political and social effects it seems to be having on other countries, but also because of the arrogant and blind shouting-down of those who voice concerns by virtue-signalling fascists (no, it's not just restricted to the Right) who ironically would probably find their lifestyles first to go if they got their wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

This will make uncomfortable viewing for the progressives! Death if you leave Islam

https://twitter.com/aliamjadrizvi/status/988010035920883713?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    No.. we have had enough destructive influences from religion in this country without inviting another - potentially more dangerous - one to take root.

We've taken decades to shake the worst of Catholic influence on our society and its people (with work still left to be done both in terms of things like the education system, but also the peace process in the North).
    Ireland has made huge strides in the past 2 decades socially and we absolutely do not need to be going back to a situation where scripture and archaic laws influence the rest of our society.

If you come to Ireland you adapt to OUR way of doing things - not demand concessions for your own cultural or religious norms. While you're free to believe whatever you want (and that includes the Catholics), that does not extent to affecting the lives or beliefs of others. If you don't like that, there's plenty of other countries where you will fit in far easier and you should try those.

My tolerance for this sort of thing has dramatically lessened in recent years - not just because of attacks (terrorism with religious justifications is not new to Islam nor a stranger to this island), but because of the far more serious political and social effects it seems to be having on other countries, but also because of the arrogant and blind shouting-down of those who voice concerns by virtue-signalling fascists (no, it's not just restricted to the Right) who ironically would probably find their lifestyles first to go if they got their wish.

This is the problem with Multiculturalism. There's no assimilation and nothing to unify the various communities. If an immigrant wants to practice or keep some of their original Country's cultures [speak their own language, or in Muslim's case practice their faith] in their own homes nobody would have a problem. The fact that so many groups come to the Western Countries [Europe and USA] and refuse to assimilate is a huge problem. They refuse to speak our language, refuse to respect our flags and general culture, demand that we change to accommodate their culture and customs and then they have the nerve to say they don't feel welcome. Our Govts should grow a pair and flat out say "This is our flag, this is our language and this this is our culture. You adapt to us. We won't adapt for you. You don't like it then get the **** out."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    . Our Govts should grow a pair and flat out say "This is our flag, this is our language and this this is our culture. You adapt to us. We won't adapt for you. You don't like it then get the **** out."

Well said mate. If you go their country you have no religious rights whatsoever. Why should we bend over backwards for them when we don't get same treatment in their country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Our Govts should grow a pair and flat out say "This is our flag, this is our language and this this is our culture. You adapt to us. We won't adapt for you. You don't like it then get the **** out."
    Never gonna happen with the vast majority of western liberal government types. And I understand why. We have become almost apologetic about being western and liberal(and pale of skin with it). Some overswing of the pendulum from when we weren't so liberal not so long ago. We see it locally here in Ireland among many, even though we were piss poor fascists and commies. QV the Church and its influence. We've seen it on this thread where you'd swear some think we're still living in a theocracy of Bishop McQuaid's **** fantasies. And we're clearly not.

The goto position seems to be; we were bad in the past and we feel guilty, so rather than be proactive in stamping out with extreme prejudice equally bad cultural holdovers we take the somewhat understandable, if toweringly patronising approach of "well we were no better once".
    This will make uncomfortable viewing for the progressives! Death if you leave Islam

What I find scary about that is the chap is no hill farmer from Nowheristan who's only read one book, or had it read to him. He's a well travelled clearly extremely bright, Ivy League graduate in physics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Well said mate. If you go their country you have no religious rights whatsoever. Why should we bend over backwards for them when we don't get same treatment in their country.

we don't.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

+1
    When I moved to Ireland I was shocked how much influence the catholic church has (especially) in education.
    In a modern society we need to get away from this and certainly don't want to replace it with a more backward religion. Muslims are constantly offended by anything and overly sensitive. They think they are above anything and only shariah law counts. Worst of all is their arrogance towards non believers.
    Religion should be a private thing.

Is Islam right for Ireland?
    A big fat NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Oops!

Had a little run in with a relative's new neighbours recently down the end of a cul de sac avenue where they live, cars parked everywhere... As i was trying to leave said area i get blocked in by an oncoming car... When i eventually managed to manoeuvre my way around said car he proceeded to roll down his window and shout at me in his native tongue.... I did'nt take much notice similed, gave him a salute and drove on....

But i did notice one word that he kept repeating as we passed... Sounded to me like "Koofar"... I consulted google later in the day to see what it said and the correct spelling seems to be "Kufr"....

He's lucky i did'nt understand at the time, there could have been a diplomatic incident! I would of had some answer for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭weisses

Oh the feigned fright of the little white man who thinks Islam will take over western Europe .... hilarious .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Knocked on a neighbour's door recently looking for my daughter. I got the wrong house, she was actually next door. I got roared at and chased very aggressively. I tried to explain the situation and also heard the "kuffir" word. Not much attempt at assimilation there. In Ireland it is perfectly ok to knock on neighbours' doors. If they don't like it, they can f#ck right o ff.

I was a bit annoyed, and had a chat with neighbours. Discovered that this household had a daughter in my daughter's year in school. She is not allowed go to swimming classes. She has also been stopped from visiting other kid's house cos they had a dog! This is a blatant attempt to impose their culture and refusal to assimilate. This is one house in an estate of hundreds in a nice area. Islam can **** off.

MSVforever wrote: »
    Muslims are constantly offended by anything and overly sensitive. They think they are above anything and only shariah law counts. Worst of all is their arrogance towards non believers.

Islam is at the stage that Catholicism was maybe 100+ years ago - demanding strict adherence from its followers, and with its own set of rules outside of the legislation of the State (where that State is a host).

Think back to the problems we've had on this island over the last 100 years even in the name of religion. Look at how the people of Ireland were impoverished and held back by a Church that demanded compliance and tribute. Look at how those who didn't obey were treated (single mothers, gays etc) by that Church. It wasn't until the late 1980s that Ireland started to emerge from this, thanks to - in part - satellite TV and the ideas it brought with it from the USA and elsewhere, as well as the beginnings of economic prosperity (or at least improvement).

With those ideas and prosperity came education and experiences of life elsewhere - ultimately resulting in the situation we have in Ireland today.. a generally open, tolerant and liberal society where people may still call themselves Catholic, but most don't really take it too seriously anymore.

Islam hasn't gotten to that stage of the cycle yet. It's flourished in improvised, war-torn countries where it offered hope or distraction to the people - but its attitudes, teachings and laws have little relevance or place in a modern 21st century Western society.

And therein lies the problem.. the West "grew out of" religion for the most part as a result of education and technological progress.. but Islam is still stuck in an era that makes it potentially very dangerous to those who don't believe and where its more militant elements will use it as a rallying cry to those looking for a cause - nothing really to do with religion, but more the age old lust for power but there ya go. As I said previously, we've seen this even within our own island too and the problems still linger today.

However in the West, many have become obsessed with looking inward - rewriting or erasing elements of society or even history they don't like, seeking validation and approval from other like-minded types online (creating the echo-chamber effect that is increasingly leaking into "real life") and driven by this corrupted fantasy of a utopia for all beliefs and background - something which just isn't practical given the gulfs that exist between the various players.

But while this part of the West endlessly debates and argues among itself.. those who are not so "enlightened" take full advantage of the paralysis and misguided idealism and generosity offered.. resulting not just in the security and violent incidents we've seen in Europe, but increasing divisions and hard-line attitudes in the countries affected.

Ireland has luckily been spared most of this to-date, but it's not immune to these influences in a country still suffering with an inferiority complex and need to be "liked" by everyone.. hence "we" seem to soak up and adopt the worst of these generally US-led trends and notions.. a country which has a lot of cultural issues that simply do not apply to Ireland.. but bizarrely are being absorbed anyway.

As long as continue down this path of blindly following where others are pointing, and don't question for ourselves how valid it may or may NOT be for us, then the worse these divisions and problems will get until some sort of flashpoint event triggers a massive and probably very painful reaction.

It's not too late to stop this, and it doesn't have to mean we become isolationist and ultra-nationalist.... but a real and mature debate on these issues and what kind of country we want to live in AND pass on to our children is LONG overdue at this point.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Based on the fact that we have a national pastime of worshipping alcohol, and (superquinn) sausages ....I am going to say no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Thomas__.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Thomas__. wrote: »
    But coming back to my integration questions, where is the difference between integration and assimilation? When becomes a foreign person a full recognised Irish one and by that I mean recognised as Irish by the old natives? 
    What would I have to do to become an Irishman? Regularly go to the Pub, learning the Irish language, knowing all about Irish history and know about Irish politics and culture, try to take on the local accent? Maybe commit myself in local activities or social volunteer projects? These things are all matters which one can come in contact and become engaged with in daily life, it is part and parcel of integration, the more one adopts the more one gets assimilated and it means more than just to apply for Irish citizenship, it means to change ones own cultural life and yet it doesn't takes away the old traces of ones identity, the cultural background that shaped it in the first place.

I have put such questions to Irish people from time to time, but I haven't yet received a clear and direct answer to them. I think that it isn't that hard to answer them, maybe it is a bit hard to be honest on answering them. But I am still interested in what Irish people say to that. When people always call for integration, they should at least be capable to give a straight answer what they mean by it.
    Bloody good questions T. I'd agree with your take I underlined in your post I quoted. People are "afraid" to be honest about such things. I'd reckon mostly for not wanting to be a prick or offend.

I mean I don't speak Irish. TBH the vast majority of Irish trad music I can't stomach for long. GAA and all that is a foreign culture to me and I'm not especially involved in the wider community. Yet I'll be seen as "Irish" instinctively because I'm white with an Irish accent who doesn't stand out. It is kinda mad that an Irish speaking, GAA supporting, bodhran playing born and bred in Ireland Black bloke will instinctively be seen as not quite a local. Many will swear this doesn't apply to them, and colour me cynical, but I don't believe them, not nearly as much as they believe it themselves. A while back on another thread a chap claimed he never makes assumptions about anyone based on what they look like or who they are. He seemed genuinely convinced of this. And fair enough, but everybody makes these unconscious and conscious micro and macro assumption with everyone they meet. It's what human brains do. We're book cover judges outa the box. Even babies do it.    

TBH T I see humans as still quite the tribal social animals they've always been. And it doesn't take much for that tribalism to kick off, positively and negatively. There's even a gender bias to it. EG "foreign" women are seen as far less a threat than "foreign" men. Hell more than once I've read here on AH about how the Irish lads are into all the "sexy foreign women" that have come to Ireland and want more. "Foreign" men if they come up at all are not so welcome. They're in that weird no man's land between visible and invisible. Look at the Us, where Black men are all too often something to be feared, almost at a primal level, whereas as Black women aren't.

It's no great wonder to me that young male immigrants or even generationally longterm in a place feel outside of things. It's why some are so easy to radicalise. If someone offers you belonging in a culture that you feel - and have good reasons to feel - doesn't, well... TBH I can fully see how some Muslim Pakistani lad in Manchester gets into all that, even at the level of quietly agreeing with the radicals. Never mind if he does some reading into how the country he lives in, "his" country had fcuked over his ancestral homeland and homelands of what he'd see as his Muslim brothers and sisters. I probably would in his position.

At least Ireland doesn't have that direct imperial past added in. Though just as many will see Muslim = suicide bombing jihadi, the suicide bombing jihadi will see White = imperial supporter scumbag.

It's a knotty problem T.

Your post sums it all up and it gets straight to the point. I also understand it your way and there are some things one can't escape all the time (the box system in ones own mind in the way one grew up with). Some people who want to integrate (or better say assimilate) might wrongly think that meeting all the stereotypes is the way forward, but often it isn't cos that makes such people to those who strive to be more Irish than the Irish themselves. I think that to integrate as good as possible without the aforementioned zeal is good enough to fit in and that is what I take from your post and some others I have read before on that matter.

Thanks for that post. It's been a very interesting reading too as well as advisable. I have never been outside of Europe myself, never had the desire to.

You should. It broadens the mind and makes you see Western culture in a very different way.
    So my knowledge about far away countries isn't based on experiences such like yours. There are many things on which I agree with you. One thing in your post reminds me on the meaning of 'internationalism' in the old Communist Eastern Bloc states. In fact it is a sham cos in reality, regarding how they treated their own ethnic minorities and preferred their majority nationals, it was always 'us and them' no matter how much one was on their political line, the different ethnicity was always enough reasons for suspicion and discrimination. Because of that I am not surprised about what you said from your experiences in China.

And you're describing pretty much everywhere that is not Europe (or the US 30 years ago). It's only westerners that expect to integrate so much into other societies, and tolerate other cultures not doing the same in their own countries.
    In your case you're a foreign national with foreign citizenship, in the example I refere to it was about people of different ethnicity but same citizenship with generations living in that area for generations, just that the country has changed due to the aftermath of WWI and WWII.

I know an English man who has lived in Tokyo since before WW2, speaks better Japanese than the locals, married to a Japanese woman, was imprisoned in Japan during the war, and has children living there. He's still a foreigner and always will be.  
    Anyway, I assume that you all adopted that in China because either you like it or you saw it necessary to get on with your life there, for practical reasons. It wasn't quite clear to me whether you intend to settle there permanently and that would make a difference. People who migrate to other countries because of work but with no intention to settle there for the rest of their lives have a different attitude and have therefore less interest in integration when they think that they will go back to their home country some time anyway.

Yes and no. I never intended to settle forever in China. TBH I'll probably never settle anywhere. I immersed myself in Chinese culture because traditional Chinese culture is mostly dead, and the modern Chinese culture changes so often... I'm fascinated by the contradictions within their own society and how they perceive their own culture. It's interesting to see how superficial everything is... and that, in turn, helps me to see western culture better.

People are people. In reality we should be talking about individuals, since what drives people to live and do things is usually a personal experience. However, It's impractical to talk about the individual when talking about Immigration, or... deeply religious people, which most Muslims are.
    Therefore, to lead a life in a foreign country as you did in China is very recommendable as it can keep one out of trouble. I think that I would try to follow your example, with some exceptions (I am not fond of Asian food, therefore I would barely travel to such countries, the climate is another aspect I might have problems to cope with), but in principle and principal I would certainly do likewise as this is reasonable.

Now my time is running out for today and I'll be back after the weekend. Have a good time.

Um. I suspect I've been "in trouble" more than most people... :D

And don't judge Asia based on what you think you know. It's the same with pretty much any country or cultural group outside of the West. You can assume certain things when talking about Europe, or the US, because they share a value system and other cultural indicators (and you grew up in a western nation). You can't really do the same when you're talking about other places.

For example. I talked to dozens of expats before I went to Iran. The thought of going there filled me with dread based on past experiences in other Muslim countries, but the experience itself was brilliant. Wonderful country, and fantastic people. I wouldn't want to live there myself, but a great experience. Same with dozens of other countries I've stayed in. I don't mean traveling for a week or two, but staying in one city for a few months or a year. Gives you a much different perspective on everything. Highly recommended.

Sure, there is a certain difference between making first hand experiences oneself in contact and interaction with local people abroad and staying for longer than the average tourist does. It does give one a different perspective and thus a different angle from which to look at the differences between countries and cultures.

As I said, some health reasons deter me from going in such climate zones, let alone the long distant flights to get there. My approach to understand Chinese and partially also Japanese culture was through history and their philosophy. This was for me enough to compare that with Western culture, as far as it is comparable. Similar with other continents and cultures, though I would say that the comparisons are often done with much intent as this is often the case in a rather automatical way. But in such cases I first try to understand their culture and history before making comparisons.

China and Japan are some good examples for how radically their culture has changed due do WWII and since. Curious enough is that Confucius is still high regarded and admired in China and even the Communist Party of China didn't dare to have too much a go against it, in other words, it survived the Culture Revolution from 1967 which was anything than a 'cultural' revolution but a 'cleansing' of the society by the Communist Party, in other words, another time for mass murder by Mao committed on his own population which went along with it. I admit that the political matters are more in my focus and that is of course a way in which the individual and the way it is affected by that is at the edge of the centre, but not entirely blinded out. How much deep religious the Chinese People are is not for me to say, you might have a more straight insight into that. However it shows that some things can't be removed by any political ideology entirely as they are very deep rooted in the culture and collective mindset of the people themselves.  

The change in Japan after WWII was extreme in the light of the decades that passed since. I think that the Americanisation there was pushed that far with more fierce than in Western Europe. Another aspect is, like in China a growing overpopulation. The 'one child' per family restriction in China, the more people getting and leading lonely lives in Japan, preferring some artificial substitude for human company in their private lives (like holograms and robots). Such developments are frightening and I wouldn't assume that it would take place in Europe, but one never knows by that rapid pace technological developments are proceeding.

You have the advantage of your profession that enables you to go to and work in different countries as English is per se the world language number one (that is to say in international affairs and interaction between the Western World and the other parts on this planet). I think that this is an important point for many others don't have that and are bound to stay where they are, for various reasons which apart from the occupation are family reasons. With growing age it gets even harder to change places.

Your post sums it all up and it gets straight to the point. I also understand it your way and there are some things one can't escape all the time (the box system in ones own mind in the way one grew up with). Some people who want to integrate (or better say assimilate) might wrongly think that meeting all the stereotypes is the way forward, but often it isn't cos that makes such people to those who strive to be more Irish than the Irish themselves. I think that to integrate as good as possible without the aforementioned zeal is good enough to fit in and that is what I take from your post and some others I have read before on that matter.

TBH I find the perspective of national culture to be overrated in many cases. I am Irish, but I'm not very "Irish". The traditional stereotypes of being Irish both given by other Irish people and foreigners never really appealed to me, and don't match with who I am. In fact, out of all the Irish people I know, I'd consider less that 20% to be "Irish". I feel that it was more important back in the days of no internet, far less travel and indoctrination either from the State or Religion were more pervasive.

And from living abroad and travelling, I've found that it bears out in other cultures too. There are few cultures out there where people from a country are very "insert nationality".

However, I do think that our value systems are shared among broad ranges of cultural groupings. The West consists of many countries who share a common foundation through their history, religion and philosophy. You can see the same in the M.East where a number of the nations there share certain characteristics that are associated with cultures.

Assimilation is not about the national stereotypical characteristics or habits. That kind of thing is dead and not likely to return. Assimilation would be giving up your own cultural values to embrace that of the new culture. In my opinion, Assimilation isn't terribly practical nor likely to occur in most cases.

Integration, on the other hand, is very possible. This being where people accept the values/laws of the host country as being dominant, and required in other to live there. Otherwise, you're an expat with the intention of staying only a relatively short time (decades but still aim to return home at some point, after your own objectives have been met. )

I've never met anyone who has assimilated into a entirely different cultural group. Eastern Europeans into Europeans sure, but there are still connections between the cultures to make that easier. Asians into Europeans, nope. And Asians tend to be the most successful in adapting to living in a different culture. With Integration, on the other hand, I've met many people who have successfully integrated into another culture, because they can retain their own values (influenced by their home culture), while respecting the values and traditions of the foreign host country. I find few people can live long-term in a country where they don't respect the host country's culture. It tears them apart over time if they don't.

The problem with Western culture is this belief that we should give people the chance to live here without integrating. But it's a unique perspective not shared across the world. In virtually every other nation or groupings of nations, the expectation is that people will conform to the host culture and not make trouble. And trouble is dealt with swiftly, and the person expelled. It's a much harder world out there than it is within Western nations, and people have less patience with those who abuse a host country's charity.

China and Japan are some good examples for how radically their culture has changed due do WWII and since. Curious enough is that Confucius is still high regarded and admired in China and even the Communist Party of China didn't dare to have too much a go against it, in other words, it survived the Culture Revolution from 1967 which was anything than a 'cultural' revolution but a 'cleansing' of the society by the Communist Party, in other words, another time for mass murder by Mao committed on his own population which went along with it. I admit that the political matters are more in my focus and that is of course a way in which the individual and the way it is affected by that is at the edge of the centre, but not entirely blinded out. How much deep religious the Chinese People are is not for me to say, you might have a more straight insight into that. However it shows that some things can't be removed by any political ideology entirely as they are very deep rooted in the culture and collective mindset of the people themselves.  

The PRC or the Communist party never tried to remove Confucius, because what he proposed is firstly interwoven within their personal identity, and secondly, because his idea encourage people to accept their authority in all things. China is interesting, but Chinese people are far more interesting. You can see Confucius in almost every aspect of their culture. The way that children behave towards their parents. The way anyone younger behaves towards any age older. It's most notable when you see how females are expected to behave towards males, and it's reinforced everywhere.

Mao was God, but Confucius is the universe. It's a funny country. They've placed their "ancient" (pre-PRC) on such a pedestal of worthiness, while also abusing the tenants of those periods. And the cultural revolution was very successful in destroying their knowledge of their past, and cutting their ties to it. Which makes the Partys fascination with that period all the more interesting, since they're actively encouraging people to consider it. Funny country. They really don't think like we do.

It's something that you've got to experience firsthand. Chinese logic. It's not the same as the Logic westerners use.
    The change in Japan after WWII was extreme in the light of the decades that passed since. I think that the Americanisation there was pushed that far with more fierce than in Western Europe. Another aspect is, like in China a growing overpopulation. The 'one child' per family restriction in China, the more people getting and leading lonely lives in Japan, preferring some artificial substitude for human company in their private lives (like holograms and robots). Such developments are frightening and I wouldn't assume that it would take place in Europe, but one never knows by that rapid pace technological developments are proceeding.

Japan is a culture that has proven very good at pretending to be something else. Americanisation in Japan is skin deep. It's obvious in the Youth culture, but the moment those kids start working, they immediately switch to being far more traditional in their thinking. It's partly the reason why they embrace so many wacky cultural groups. To compensate for the incredibly stifling nature of the traditional expectations. Still, as a westerner, I love Japan. And Japanese women. Not the cute culture, but they're the last real bastion of women being women as a "lady". Truly wonderful women.
    You have the advantage of your profession that enables you to go to and work in different countries as English is per se the world language number one (that is to say in international affairs and interaction between the Western World and the other parts on this planet). I think that this is an important point for many others don't have that and are bound to stay where they are, for various reasons which apart from the occupation are family reasons. With growing age it gets even harder to change places.

My profession? Hmm... I was a credit controller in Australia, so that was as far as that got me. Then I switched to English teaching, then to management consulting, then back to English teaching, then to teaching Business Ethics at university level, and now I'm a freelance programmer, along with a 'amateur' novelist.

My career is dead. :pac:. Now, I do reasonably okay scrambling at work which allows me to live the life I want. Hopefully, some trees I planted will bear fruit but I'm gambling in a major way with my income streams. Still, I wouldn't change it, since I've seen more of the world than most people, and experienced some truly wonderful women. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

weisses wrote: »
    Oh the feigned fright of the little white man who thinks Islam will take over western Europe .... hilarious .....

Race brought into it yet again. Only one side ever mentions skin colour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The problem with Western culture is this belief that we should give people the chance to live here without integrating. But it's a unique perspective not shared across the world. In virtually every other nation or groupings of nations, the expectation is that people will conform to the host culture and not make trouble. And trouble is dealt with swiftly, and the person expelled. It's a much harder world out there than it is within Western nations, and people have less patience with those who abuse a host country's charity.
    You've pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    Omackeral wrote:
    It's a cheap tactic to drown out even the most reasoned debate when it conflicts even slightly with their own politic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

TBH I find the perspective of national culture to be overrated in many cases. I am Irish, but I'm not very "Irish". The traditional stereotypes of being Irish both given by other Irish people and foreigners never really appealed to me, and don't match with who I am. In fact, out of all the Irish people I know, I'd consider less that 20% to be "Irish". I feel that it was more important back in the days of no internet, far less travel and indoctrination either from the State or Religion were more pervasive.

And from living abroad and travelling, I've found that it bears out in other cultures too. There are few cultures out there where people from a country are very "insert nationality".

However, I do think that our value systems are shared among broad ranges of  cultural groupings. The West consists of many countries who share a common foundation through their history, religion and philosophy. You can see the same in the M.East where a number of the nations there share certain characteristics that are associated with cultures.

Assimilation is not about the national stereotypical characteristics or habits. That kind of thing is dead and not likely to return. Assimilation would be giving up your own cultural values to embrace that of the new culture. In my opinion, Assimilation isn't terribly practical nor likely to occur in most cases.

Integration, on the other hand, is very possible. This being where people accept the values/laws of the host country as being dominant, and required in other to live there. Otherwise, you're an expat with the intention of staying only a relatively short time (decades but still aim to return home at some point, after your own objectives have been met. )

I've never met anyone who has assimilated into a entirely different cultural group. Eastern Europeans into Europeans sure, but there are still connections between the cultures to make that easier. Asians into Europeans, nope. And Asians tend to be the most successful in adapting to living in a different culture. With Integration, on the other hand, I've met many people who have successfully integrated into another culture, because they can retain their own values (influenced by their home culture), while respecting the values and traditions of the foreign host country. I find few people can live long-term in a country where they don't respect the host country's culture. It tears them apart over time if they don't.

I see that you're more the Individualist as I see myself as being that too, just that you've travelled the world more than I have and got some first hand experiences from countries which I have never visited.

Well, I am not very kind on nationalism either, it causes more trouble than brings any good as we can see in the developments of recent years.

I am a German who grew up in West-Germany. We have a different tradition with immigration, also with assimilation and integration. I'm going to point out a couple of examples to both terms. Not going too far back in history, the one group that was assimilating itself in the very meaning of the name were the Jews. Over the centuries and in due course of liberal policies developing mainly in the 19th Century in the German States (reference to the federal nature of it), the assimilation of Jewish people was furthered to the extent that they managed to get the higher circles of German society and administration. The more liberal and progressive the Jewish community was, the more assimilation took place and success with it. This didn't make the old standing precudices go away, the anti-semitism was still there, sometimes open sometimes hidden. In the end, as history has shown, it didn't prevent them from being persecuted and murdered by the Nazis. For the many of the assimilated Jews this leathal anti-semitism persued by the Nazis was something the many of them didn't believe to happen and in hindsight, it was to no avail. Religious and racist sentiments never really changed and this was more on the side of the non-Jews than on that of those Jewish people who really wanted to become more German than Jewish, deeming their Religion as a private matter and been loyal to the German society and state. It goes without saying that I regard this long period of anti-semitism as the worst ever and the murdering of these people on an industrial scale with even such methods the most horrible thing at all. This story gives a bad example for anybody who knows it and would try to assimilate him- / herself when he or she has the feeling and experience that in truth, one is not wanted by the native people of the host country. That is one aspect by which people are deterred to become assimilated, which is a step further beyond the normal naturalisation with citizenship.

There have been immigrants in Germany for many times and this is even dating back to the 19th Century, on low amounts of immigrants back in those days. As you might know, during WWII there were really millions of 'foreign workers' in Germany, forced to work here by the Nazi govt to the war effort along with some PoW also among them, working either in factories for the war effort or in the agricultural sector (not just for the harvest, but to replace those male workers who were serving as soldiers). Together with those liberated from the concentration camps, they were the 'DPs', the 'displaced persons', because they were brought to Germany against their free will. The repatriation of them took a couple of years and some of them stayed for ever with a special status. I presume that they integrated as good as they could and wanted.

The 'recruiting' for foreign workers for the German industry (in West-Germany) already started in the mid-1950s with the Italians from rural parts of the country to come to Germany to work and by that, taking on the jobs the Germans didn't want to take on anymore. From the outset of that programme it was meant to be temporary for a couple of years. More so in the light of the Turkish people who came here from the 1960s to the mid-1970s. They were followed by Greeks, some from Yugoslavia, Spain and from Portugal. A couple of years developed into more years and adding up to decades with the former 'Guestworkers' applying for bringing their wives and children to the country which was granted when terms and conditions for this were met by the applicant. These people never had the intention, let alone the thought, of assimilating themselves here. They brought their culture with them and set up the Restaurants which are so much frequented by the locals.

Some racist motivated trouble was always there caused by the locals for some things the immigrant did (to the dislike of the 'native' as for example courting local women). Apart from that, the European nationals integrated themselves into German society. That was also due to the fact that once they were able to rent their own flats they rarely lived in places in which to be among their fellow countrymen and -women. That was different with the Turks, they were often placed in areas in which they lived among themselves, not seldom close to the factory in which they worked, as the factories provided some housing for them, which was cheaper for the workers as well. A change to this came in due course of the decades and with their families moving to Germany (only the wives and the minor aged children). The first generation of them has more people who never really integrated and that is because they never really learned the German language properly, which was due to the working hours and the lack of language courses to attend (very different to what is provided these days in Germany). The second did better, as they were obliged to go to school in Germany and learned the language there. Still the Intention of the head of the family to return to Turkey one day persisted. No prospect for working on a permanent settling was of interest for them. Then came the tird generation, partly already born in Germany, but as there was no compulsive imposing of German citizenship on them, they remained Turkish citizens, right from their birth onwards and it was necessary to apply for German citizenship by naturalisation if they felt beign more at home here than in Turkey and the permanent residence permission was not enough for them themselves. Now we have the fourth generation with (depending on the year of birth) dual citizenship. With a growing nationalism feed by also fierce religious 'undertones' they are (depending on the individual) torn apart between two countries and cultures. In put it a bit blunt, in Germany they are Turks and in Turkey they call them 'German-Turks'. In some ways, they are half here and half over there. Many of those 'German-Turks' living here are Turkish nationalists and supporting Erdogan and his policies via their vote on Turkish election days at the Turkish missions in Germany. It is difficult to tell whether they are Turkish citizens only or of dual citizenship, fact is that they never have really integrated in Germany. That is meant in the very sense of what you wrote in your post. Then there is the other side of that, the - in persumed percentage to the whole - minority of those who fully integrated themselves and made it into German politics by joining German political parties and got into leading positions. Others rather non-political also made their success in other parts of the society as being also fully integrated. It is in many ways and probably in many cases still the matter of remaining a foreigner because the 'natives' never really accepted the integrated to being part of the whole 'host society' even when they were already born and grown up in the country.

It is right what you say about the differences between Europe and other parts of the world regarding taking in other cultures, but there is the 'official face' of that and there is the 'real face' that contrasts the first. The difference as I see it by your examples is, that in other countries on other continents the authorities and politicians are still more restrictive in the handling of troublesome foreign nationals to expell them as this is now the case in Europe, or to be precise in the EU.

The huge influx of immigrants from Muslim countries and in that regard more male than female ones has led to a change of attitude towards them and this has exacerbated in the light of terror attacts perpetrated by radical Islamists and the deafening silence from the majority of the moderate Muslims in the aftermath of that. From my view, continental Europe and GB are more affected by that than the Republic of Ireland (in regards of the numbers of people who were taken in by the Republic). But in this age of the Internet and fast spreading news, people become more and quickly aware of what is going on beyond their shores.  

There is probably a huge uncertainty and fear among many people who turn to nationalists in their hope that they can provide them the security the current govts either can't or don't want to give them by being hard on foreign troublemakers and offenders. The public debate on that matter has already gone beyond the question of Integration, which is certainly not lost but comes rather second.  

The world has become politically more polarised than many people have felt to be before and one finds oneself right between the extremes of a growing nationalism across the EU and the real threat from radical Islamism. Both are a minority, but as long as the majority and the governments of the free world do not stand up against these threats, the radicals are capable to hold the majority in ransom.

The EU who is still pondering on her humanitarian values must learn that in order to preserve them she has to have a hard hand against those who are out there to overthrow them. That applies for radicals from the far-right to those of the far-left to radical Islamists. The question is how far to go when measures touches humanitarian values? Following up the example of Orban in Hungary by errecting fences to keep the immigrants at bay? Being on brink of total collapse like the Greeks and let them all pass until they got hold up at the border to the neightbour country? Spending money to establish refugee camps in nearby neighbour countries along the conflict areas in the MidEast? Setting up quotas and picking the people who have the best chances to be granted Asylum in EU member states? Setting up an EU Asylum Office who manages that but for which one needs an Asylum legislation that applies for all EU member states, in fact an EU Asylum law?

Some say that what we have witnessed since 2015 might only be the start of a much greater number of migration to come in the future as more people are losing any perspective in the MidEast and more so on the African continent and that is also due to the global climate change.  

I think that either way there are difficult times ahead and that to say on a global scale. I don't like radicals of any sort, I despise them utterly, but despite my dislike for them, it would be wrong to ignore the developments that are taking place around the world these days.

Omackeral wrote: »

And these virtue signalers will be the first ones out at the first sight of someone who doesn't look like them.

MSVforever wrote: »
    Muslims are constantly offended by anything and overly sensitive. They think they are above anything and only shariah law counts. Worst of all is their arrogance towards non believers.

Islam is at the stage that Catholicism was maybe 100+ years ago - demanding strict adherence from its followers, and with its own set of rules outside of the legislation of the State (where that State is a host).

Think back to the problems we've had on this island over the last 100 years even in the name of religion. Look at how the people of Ireland were impoverished and held back by a Church that demanded compliance and tribute. Look at how those who didn't obey were treated (single mothers, gays etc) by that Church. It wasn't until the late 1980s that Ireland started to emerge from this, thanks to - in part - satellite TV and the ideas it brought with it from the USA and elsewhere, as well as the beginnings of economic prosperity (or at least improvement).

With those ideas and prosperity came education and experiences of life elsewhere - ultimately resulting in the situation we have in Ireland today.. a generally open, tolerant and liberal society where people may still call themselves Catholic, but most don't really take it too seriously anymore.

Islam hasn't gotten to that stage of the cycle yet. It's flourished in improvised, war-torn countries where it offered hope or distraction to the people - but its attitudes, teachings and laws have little relevance or place in a modern 21st century Western society.

And therein lies the problem.. the West "grew out of" religion for the most part as a result of education and technological progress.. but Islam is still stuck in an era that makes it potentially very dangerous to those who don't believe and where its more militant elements will use it as a rallying cry to those looking for a cause - nothing really to do with religion, but more the age old lust for power but there ya go. As I said previously, we've seen this even within our own island too and the problems still linger today.

However in the West, many have become obsessed with looking inward - rewriting or erasing elements of society or even history they don't like, seeking validation and approval from other like-minded types online (creating the echo-chamber effect that is increasingly leaking into "real life") and driven by this corrupted fantasy of a utopia for all beliefs and background - something which just isn't practical given the gulfs that exist between the various players.

But while this part of the West endlessly debates and argues among itself.. those who are not so "enlightened" take full advantage of the paralysis and misguided idealism and generosity offered.. resulting not just in the security and violent incidents we've seen in Europe, but increasing divisions and hard-line attitudes in the countries affected.

Ireland has luckily been spared most of this to-date, but it's not immune to these influences in a country still suffering with an inferiority complex and need to be "liked" by everyone.. hence "we" seem to soak up and adopt the worst of these generally US-led trends and notions.. a country which has a lot of cultural issues that simply do not apply to Ireland.. but bizarrely are being absorbed anyway.

As long as continue down this path of blindly following where others are pointing, and don't question for ourselves how valid it may or may NOT be for us, then the worse these divisions and problems will get until some sort of flashpoint event triggers a massive and probably very painful reaction.

It's not too late to stop this, and it doesn't have to mean we become isolationist and ultra-nationalist.... but a real and mature debate on these issues and what kind of country we want to live in AND pass on to our children is LONG overdue at this point.

Interesting post and perhaps you could be a bit more precise on the things you think should be debated and questioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh who was affectively running Egypt during war and remind us again how near were Afrika korp to The Suez and Cairo?
    Jordan, actually Trans Jordan, was also British protectorate until it became independent in 1946.
    And yes Iran accepted Poles lots of them Jews to pass through from USSr and indeed the pro German Shah had told the Germans that he considered Iranian Jews to be Iranian. But you also failed to point out that the Shah was replaced after British and soviets invaded to protect oilfields from Germans.

No you are trying to create an equivalency between the worst that Christianity has to offer and the worst that Islam has to offer. And as I showed their is a huge order of magnitude in difference.
    You are a spoofer as also evidenced by you trying to equate Irish security situation to that in likes of France or the place of the Catholic Church in Ireland to the place of Islam in a huge chunk of Islamic dominated states.

I said they had different types of governmental control. They were still Muslim countries though.

I used one example of the WBC. But there are many other Christian groups out there that do ****ty things in the name of God.

No you are spoofing and you then wriggle when you are found out.

I have noticed you throw remarks as facts and maybe you hope that the gullible will buy into them.
    A lot of your points are disingenuous because they never tell the whole story.

It was very damn important what government or rather what rulers were in charge of those states when they were so welcoming as you point out.

You tried to claim the security situation in Ireland was akin to the likes of France because some of our armed police may have been diverted to anti terrorism, but you failed to mention how in France, and I also know from personal experience in Italy, fully armed soldiers are on the streets to prevent terrorist attacks.
    What I find scary about that is the chap is no hill farmer from Nowheristan who's only read one book, or had it read to him. He's a well travelled clearly extremely bright, Ivy League graduate in physics.

Look at the 911 attackers, their backgrounds and education.
    I remember 20 odd years ago realising that even some pretty well educated and well traveled muslims could have some rather unsavoury views.

The thign that is most worrying is the direction in which islam is taking.
    The views that are growing within islam are the most backwards and regressive ones.
    Wahhabism has become increasingly influential, and it is agreed that this Saudi funded definition of islam is at fault for a lot of the fundamentalist terrorism.

It is the opposite to what has happened within the catholic church where the likes of 2nd Vatican council issues a new more enlightened era into the church.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

This is the problem with Multiculturalism. There's no assimilation and nothing to unify the various communities. If an immigrant wants to practice or keep some of their original Country's cultures [speak their own language, or in Muslim's case practice their faith] in their own homes nobody would have a problem. The fact that so many groups come to the Western Countries [Europe and USA] and refuse to assimilate is a huge problem. They refuse to speak our language, refuse to respect our flags and general culture, demand that we change to accommodate their culture and customs and then they have the nerve to say they don't feel welcome. Our Govts should grow a pair and flat out say "This is our flag, this is our language and this this is our culture. You adapt to us. We won't adapt for you. You don't like it then get the **** out."

You're putting a lot of the blame on the immigrant there. Many cannot understand the language and have difficulty knowing and understanding the traditions and customs. Then to top it all off, in many cases, they are housed alongside other immigrants in the same situation. There's a big difference between refusing to do something and not being able to do something.

It was very damn important what government or rather what rulers were in charge of those states when they were so welcoming as you point out.

Why?
    You tried to claim the security situation in Ireland was akin to the likes of France because some of our armed police may have been diverted to anti terrorism, but you failed to mention how in France and I also know personal experience in Italy fully armed soldiers are on the streets to prevent terrorist attacks.

I think what I said was that the Armed Support Units were established to free up the ERU for counter terrorism activities. I believe we've also had a number of large scale counter terrorism drills in Dublin over the last year. I was responding to a direct question too i think. But to be clear, I don't think the security situation here is the same as France, I just don't think their issues are because of immigrants.

Interesting post and perhaps you could be a bit more precise on the things you think should be debated and questioned.

Well first and foremost, we need to realise and accept that asking questions and debating these issues does not automatically make one racist, xenophobic or anti-religion/Islam.

Secondly, we need to accept that what is right for other EU nations and cultures is not necessarily right for Ireland. I know the pro-EU side likes to think that we're all one big happy family - but the financial crisis, then the migrant crisis, and things like Brexit and the rise of hard Left/Right political groups in national elections exposed IMO the deep divisions that still remain between the member states. It's all very well not having to change your money when you go on holiday, and being able to buy online without import taxes.. but how "European" do most people here really feel?

Thirdly, we here in Ireland have plenty of experience of the disastrous effects religious sectarianism can have on a community and country as a whole. We've also seen what allowing a Religion to hold too much influence over a State does. Why are we so reluctant to learn from this dark chapter of our country, and put in place safeguards to stop it happening again?

Fourthly, we need to ask what CAN and SHOULD we do, in the context of being a small island nation on the periphery of Europe, with a relatively small open economy that's very exposed to the whims of the bigger US/European players, and which is still feeling the lingering effects of a hugely damaging recession and with significant problems to deal with as it is (housing, health, the economic divides between Dublin and the rest of the country etc), and a country which already provides huge financial supports to those in need.

Fifthly, we need to remember that it's not a bad thing to want to retain our own culture, traditions and social norms - even within the mix of multiculturalism. Every country has it's own unique qualities and differences (some good, some not so good) but that's not "wrong" nor is it something that should/must be "changed" to prove how inclusive we are. If you go anywhere else, you'll be expected to adapt and fit in with life there and with no special concessions given or due to your native culture or beliefs. Why should it be different when it comes to Ireland or Islam?

In my view (as I've said several times on this topic) it's very simple...

If you come here, have needed skills to offer and can support yourself, are willing to integrate and contribute positively to your new home and hosts, and don't expect any special treatment because of your background or religious beliefs... welcome!

If however you come here expecting preferential treatment or thinking that our laws and social norms don't apply to you because of your culture/religious teachings, or only represent a drain on our economy and community... well then back where you came from, or maybe try one of the many Islamic countries that will suit these expectations a lot more than a mostly/effectively-secular, liberal Western nation like Ireland.

You're putting a lot of the blame on the immigrant there. Many cannot understand the language and have difficulty knowing and understanding the traditions and customs. Then to top it all off, in many cases, they are housed alongside other immigrants in the same situation. There's a big difference between refusing to do something and not being able to do something.

Stop enabling them. If they know all about our welfare programs then they can clearly learn our language [English is one of, if not the easiest language to learn] and laws,etc. They don't want to because they because they know bleeding hearts like you will defend them and call the rest of us racist.

What you and the rest of the bleeding hearts brigade suffer from is an eternal case of the Soft bigotry of low expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The whole of Europe is already living under Muslim rule of law.
    Those poor French and Danish journalists were killed to establish a de facto blasphemy law in Europe by sending out a message: if you publish certain cartoons, you put your life — and that of your staff — at risk.
    Who in the media would dare make fun of Islam now in Europe.
    Where does this "under threat of death" go next, to the schools?

• Advertisement

Stop enabling them. If they know all about our welfare programs then they can clearly learn our language [English is one of, if not the easiest language to learn] and laws,etc. They don't want to because they because they know bleeding hearts like you will defend them and call the rest of us racist.

What you and the rest of the bleeding hearts brigade suffer from is an eternal case of the Soft bigotry of low expectations.

Great sound bytes. So you have an issue with immigrants not learning the language or customs and integrating with the citizens but you oppose any attempt to help the immigrants learn the language and customs or integrate with the wider society.

Great sound bytes. So you have an issue with immigrants not learning the language or customs and integrating with the citizens but you oppose any attempt to help the immigrants learn the language and customs or integrate with the wider society.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Where did I say I opposed helping them? I just said said that if they can find out about which Country has the most lucrative welfare benefits then they can just as easily learn the language and about our culture. They don't because they don't want to assimilate.

Again you suffer from the soft bigotry of low expectations.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Where did I say I opposed helping them?

Right here.
    Stop enabling them.

Right here.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're putting a lot of the blame on the immigrant there. Many cannot understand the language and have difficulty knowing and understanding the traditions and customs.

Yeah your right they don't seem to graps our customs and traditions.
    That was why they had to start classes in Norway to tell them that raping and sexually assaulting women and girls is not right and is not really one of our customs.

Contrary to what some numpties think we have a fairly long tradition in most European countries that you just can't consider all women as whores and all children as fair game to release one's sexual tensions.

Of course some eejits actually think this is the case and hell maybe it is because they are such fans of the ones arriving, or already living here, who do think in such a way.

Why?

Ahh FFS do we need to explain to you about how rulers set the rules. :rolleyes:
    I think what I said was that the Armed Support Units were established to free up the ERU for counter terrorism activities. I believe we've also had a number of large scale counter terrorism drills in Dublin over the last year. I was responding to a direct question too i think. But to be clear, I don't think the security situation here is the same as France, I just don't think their issues are because of immigrants.

Actually they are about some immigrants, the ones like the Tunisian chap in Nice who arrived many years ago, but still hated his adopted country.

And more particularly they are about the children of immigrants who despise the state that gave them education and a chance of a better life than the sh**hole their parents left.

Since 2014 France has suffered 20 terrorist attacks which have left 245 dead.
    Two of the November 2015 Paris attackers were Iraqi.
    The 15 year old that attempted to behead a teacher from a Jewish school with a machete in Marseille was Turkish.
    One of the guys that beheaded Fr Jacques Hamel was born in Algeria.
    The guy that rammed a car into a group of soldiers, injuring 6, in Levallois-Perret near Paris was Algerian.
    The Carcassonne and Trebes attack last month was carried out by a Moroccan born French man.

So saying the soldiers on the streets has nothing to do with immigrants is another example of you being economical with the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

The whole of Europe is already living under Muslim rule of law.
    Those poor French and Danish journalists were killed to establish a de facto blasphemy law in Europe by sending out a message: if you publish certain cartoons, you put your life — and that of your staff — at risk.
    Who in the media would dare make fun of Islam now in Europe.
    Where does this "under threat of death" go next, to the schools?

The Islamofascists are being appeased. The immorality and negative consequences of the Appeasement of evil was supposedly one of the lessons from WW2. Hitler was appeased again and again until he started WW2.

Yeah your right they don't seem to graps our customs and traditions.
    That was why they had to start classes in Norway to tell them that raping and sexually assaulting women and girls is not right and is not really one of our customs.

Contrary to what some numpties think we have a fairly long tradition in most European countries that you just can't consider all women as whores and all children as fair game to release one's sexual tensions.

Of course some eejits actually think this is the case and hell maybe it is because they are such fans of the ones arriving, or already living here, who do think in such a way.

So you agree with giving them help to integrate or not?
    Ahh FFS do we need to explain to you about how rulers set the rules. :rolleyes:

Just want to be specific with you because you keep pulling partial quotes out of context to prove a point I never made.
    So saying the soldiers on the streets has nothing to do with immigrants is another example of you being economical with the truth.

No, it's just my opinion. I'm not sure if you are aware of this but your opinion isn't a fact and people who disagree with you aren't automatically lying. But I was a bit vague so I'll clarify. I don't think it is a result of the number of people coming in or where they are coming from.

Well, you see, I teach English to both migrants and the Traveller community in my hometown part-time. The thing about language learning is that you learn if you are motivated to learn. I spent my first five years in China barely learning anything because I didn't feel the need to learn. It was awkward but not impossible to live like that. It was only in my last two years that I started learning Chinese and only because I had no other real options (girlfriend wanted me to be able to speak to her parents).

The migrants I teach are a mixed bunch. Some obviously have prior education, and many other don't. TBH the people without much formal education actually learn the quickest since they're the ones most needing to be accepted and find work. Saying that though, I have received hostility from some of them simply because they need to learn, and because they don't commit themselves, they don't learn. Doesn't help that they speak to each other in their local dialects in spite of being told not to. But that's language students the world over.

You're missing something though. Resources have been allocated to help them. It's not all the government and their expensive initiatives. I teach without any cost. So too do my parents and a number of other people in my area. We have provided books, notebooks, etc to them without any charge so that they can improve. They have access to the local schools media rooms to watch documentaries or to play educational games.

I don't complain about immigration and do nothing about it. I'm active in supporting those who want to integrate themselves into our community, and our local society supports anyone who is actually interested in improving themselves. The few females from Islamic countries are excellent, but the males are useless. Everything is an insult to them. They need male teachers because they won't take instruction from a woman.

Our immigrants from Asia are wonderful. Respectful and very grateful for the help. Same with the vast majority of Africans, although those from North Africa seem to have similar issues as the Islamic migrants.

So, no, I'm calling crap on this... It's not as if they're in this country without the opportunities to learn. They have far more opportunities than most when living in a foreign country.
    If they know all about our welfare programs then they can clearly learn our language [English is one of, if not the easiest language to learn]

And calling crap here too. English is not one of the easiest languages to learn. Even for people within Europe with the common linkage of Latin, English is difficult. English (especially British English) has an incredibly illogical grammar system when compared with other languages. Many of the immigrants will have two languages (Arabic, Farsi, etc) along with a variety of dialects. They have the ability to learn languages, but English is based on a very different system that theirs.

Still, it's more about lack of interest than inability to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

We do have religious rights though. Where does this misinformation come from? They have Christian churches and Christian schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Brae100 wrote: »
    France have refused to grant citizenship to a Muslim woman because she refused to shake the hand of a man. Good for them. Refusing to shake the hand of a member of the opposite sex is a sure sign of lack of willingness to integrate.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43839655

Well done France

I don't complain about immigration and do nothing about it. I'm active in supporting those who want to integrate themselves into our community, and our local society supports anyone who is actually interested in improving themselves. The few females from Islamic countries are excellent, but the males are useless. Everything is an insult to them. They need male teachers because they won't take instruction from a woman.

And that's ultimately the biggest issue here..

No matter how tolerant, accepting and welcoming we in the West are, many of these people consider our societal norms and customs to be an insult and lesser than their own.

Add that to a religion that teaches them it's OK to exploit such cultures and people, and is it any wonder that there's serious and fundamental integration issues.

But you can't educate someone who doesn't want to learn or integrate, and equally it's not our place to simply impose our culture on them (no more than it's their right to do so here).

Hence why the only answer is to send them home, or suggest they try somewhere else more to their liking.

gw80 wrote: »
    Sorry but this post is very narcissistic.
    What makes you right about everything?
    Are you saying therr are no issues with immigrants in sweden?
    Then why are we even speaking about sweden. Why have "our lot" or "our team" or the far right decided to pick on sweden and not some other European state?
    What did sweden do to deserve all these lies and untruths to be said about it?

He's a "mathematian" and a "logician" apparently - so he must be right.
    What do us plebs know ?

So you agree with giving them help to integrate or not?

If people need to be taught that raping and sexually assaulting women and minors is not on, then fook them they should not be here in the first place.
    It would be akin to inviting some people into your home only to then have to teach some of them that sexually assaulting your wife/kids is not on.

Imagine how moronic that would be and yet that is precisely what some people want to do with our countries.
    Just want to be specific with you because you keep pulling partial quotes out of context to prove a point I never made.

And now come on.
    You put it out that Syria (your first one) had camps for European refugees during WW2.

The whole idea your were pushing was we should be welcoming because of what they did in the past.
    You were pedaling the idea that the muslim populations of these countries threw out the welcome mat and we should do likewise.

When it was pointed out that Syria was under French and then British rule you subsequently went off and threw out Iran, Egypt, Turkey, Jordan took in refugees from Europe.
    Then when I pointed out the situation most of those states found themselves in you try and obfuscate that the form of government doesn't matter.
    And I admitted the Iran one was actually the most benevolent due to it's leader who was kinda pro German believe it or not and who subsequently got turfed out by British and Soviets.
    No, it's just my opinion. I'm not sure if you are aware of this but your opinion isn't a fact and people who disagree with you aren't automatically lying.

No you are being economical with the truth.
    It would be like me saying Ireland was great after the war because we took in some people fleeing Europe.
    Except that wouldn#'t be the whole story and the actual truth that we actually took in war criminals.
    But I was a bit vague so I'll clarify. I don't think it is a result of the number of people coming in or where they are coming from.

It kinda does have something to do with where they are coming from.

Well first and foremost, we need to realise and accept that asking questions and debating these issues does not automatically make one racist, xenophobic or anti-religion/Islam.

Secondly, we need to accept that what is right for other EU nations and cultures is not necessarily right for Ireland. I know the pro-EU side likes to think that we're all one big happy family - but the financial crisis, then the migrant crisis, and things like Brexit and the rise of hard Left/Right political groups in national elections exposed IMO the deep divisions that still remain between the member states. It's all very well not having to change your money when you go on holiday, and being able to buy online without import taxes.. but how "European" do most people here really feel?

Thirdly, we here in Ireland have plenty of experience of the disastrous effects religious sectarianism can have on a community and country as a whole. We've also seen what allowing a Religion to hold too much influence over a State does. Why are we so reluctant to learn from this dark chapter of our country, and put in place safeguards to stop it happening again?

Fourthly, we need to ask what CAN and SHOULD we do, in the context of being a small island nation on the periphery of Europe, with a relatively small open economy that's very exposed to the whims of the bigger US/European players, and which is still feeling the lingering effects of a hugely damaging recession and with significant problems to deal with as it is (housing, health, the economic divides between Dublin and the rest of the country etc), and a country which already provides huge financial supports to those in need.

Fifthly, we need to remember that it's not a bad thing to want to retain our own culture, traditions and social norms - even within the mix of multiculturalism. Every country has it's own unique qualities and differences (some good, some not so good) but that's not "wrong" nor is it something that should/must be "changed" to prove how inclusive we are. If you go anywhere else, you'll be expected to adapt and fit in with life there and with no special concessions given or due to your native culture or beliefs. Why should it be different when it comes to Ireland or Islam?

In my view (as I've said several times on this topic) it's very simple...

If you come here, have needed skills to offer and can support yourself, are willing to integrate and contribute positively to your new home and hosts, and don't expect any special treatment because of your background or religious beliefs... welcome!

If however you come here expecting preferential treatment or thinking that our laws and social norms don't apply to you because of your culture/religious teachings, or only represent a drain on our economy and community... well then back where you came from, or maybe try one of the many Islamic countries that will suit these expectations a lot more than a mostly/effectively-secular, liberal Western nation like Ireland.

The problem with racist calling et al is that topics like this are the perfect food for far-right and right-wing propaganda and that the response is as fierce on that as it can be.

In the past, depending on how much back one has to go, it was normal that immigrants integrated into the new Society and there was no question of 'if' they like to. It was just take it or leave. It is certainly so that a liberalism without restrictions has exaggerated the tolerance towards other cultures. It must have started somewhere and somehow. Curious eough is that when some Muslims are asked on their opinion about that liberalism towards their culture, or Religion, they say that it is already too much and there is no need for that. It is certainly right that this thing is a one-sided matter which receives not that much appreciation by the recepients and is perceived by them as some sort of a weakness. This turns the good intentions in a bad light and makes them appear as not wanted. In other words, if one doesn't demands or at least requires a limit of integration, those who should integrate feel neither any necessity nor brings any interest to do so on them.

I know about the faults of the EU, but let's face it, in this global world we live in there is no real alternative to the EU as nations acting on their own are exposed to the will of the big global powers and the way they play their game. The Brits will learn it the hard way soon enough that their time of a former world power is long gone and that with Brexit they are going to lose more than they might win outside the EU. I wouldn't forget about the sinistery of Putin towards the EU for standing up to him. Europe is left with no other choice than to become stronger by becoming closer among her members and thus building up her own power to prevail against the other big powers. Extremists are working on bringing her down, from the far-right to the far-left but the alternative they have are the pictures from the past which nobody in his reasonable thinking would want to have once again.  

Times are changing and so are customs and some traditions, they don't always stay the same and it is always up to new Generations what they preserve of it and what they alter. To give up the hard won freedom towards a radical and oppressive religion would be the worst folly to think of. A Religion is as radical and oppressive as the members of it make it. Radical Islamists are still a minority and they don't speak for the majority, how moderate or conservative they are, their silence is a problem which brings one to assume that there is a certain tacit approval with the radicals even when not admitted but otherwise if they had the guts to stand up to the radicals who obviously abuse their religion to spread terror, some things might be different.

After the first terror attacks took place, I was waiting for a response against it from the majority of the Muslim community. Apart from a few protest marches, there was nothing and some times one had to wait for this but in the meantime, they aired their complaints about anti-Muslim behaviour by the other people.

There is a tiny line between Islam critics and hidden racists and this line can't be seen every time as people get annoyed and angry about what is going on and the weakness in responding to Islamist Terror. It is something telling when one learns about some of the Jihadists who went to the MidEast and who grew up in Western Europe, some of them coming from materially well off families. There must be various reasons for why they find Islamist terrorism that attractive to join them, such as if they are fed up with this liberal western world and yearn for an oppressive one instead. In my view this is plain stupid, as stupid as the other radicals from the far-right to the far-left who think that a society thrives best when oppressed. Plenty of examples from history that proves that wrong.

I think that some people have never learned to appreciate the freedom and wellbeing they have and more so those of younger generations who have no idea of what it means to live in an oppressive society, may it be political, religious or even both. First they are idiots and ignorants, then they become fanatics by being fed with all that sh1te the radical leaders can provide. Some radicalise themselves via the internet, just on their own. You can substitute Islam with every other ideology that is radical, Fascism, Nazism, Communism, Stalinism and everything that is right to subjugate other people in order to feel superior. This is one of the roots where all this comes from.

Never gonna happen with the vast majority of western liberal government types. And I understand why. We have become almost apologetic about being western and liberal(and pale of skin with it). Some overswing of the pendulum from when we weren't so liberal not so long ago. We see it locally here in Ireland among many, even though we were piss poor fascists and commies. QV the Church and its influence. We've seen it on this thread where you'd swear some think we're still living in a theocracy of Bishop McQuaid's **** fantasies. And we're clearly not.

The goto position seems to be; we were bad in the past and we feel guilty, so rather than be proactive in stamping out with extreme prejudice equally bad cultural holdovers we take the somewhat understandable, if toweringly patronising approach of "well we were no better once".

Yep, and the likes of Grayson, Nodin etc .... defend this guy + his backward opinion!!!

they defend it
    they defend it
    they defend it
    they defend it
    they defend it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement