Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

silverharp wrote: »
    ...........resentment will increase over time if a sensible framing of the issue isn't even possible

And again, the overwhelming vast majority of us do not want to see this resentment developing in Ireland like we see in other parts of Europe.

The Government are not even seen to be taking the lead on this. In fact, I argue that they are doing the exact opposite, which in turn will lead to resentment and even worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Kivaro wrote: »
    This is exactly what the vast majority of us want.
    We would like structures in place to handle the intake of migrants, but any suggestions to slow the economic migrant influx until systems are in place to handle them is met by claims of nazism or racism.
    If Ireland has such difficulty with healthcare and hospital beds, lack of housing, prefab schools, children's protection and mental services, water infrastructure etc. etc., how can we cope with large amounts of economic migrants?

I would also like to see the Government being honest with the numbers of illegal migrants in the country, but I get the sense that they are clueless on the actual numbers.

Where are these claims coming from? As far as I can tell, it's only on social media and perhaps University campuses that this is the case. Outside of those two prisms, I would say that this is the standard opinion of people in Ireland with perhaps more emphasis on the "Where do we put them and how do we pay for them?" side.
    Wildcard7 wrote: »
    Boards is generally very critical of the catholic church. Funny how the same criticism doesn't apply to a religion and culture (islam is NOT a race) that' s a lot more backward and intolerant, and that is considered more important than state law by a good percentage of their followers.

Boards is much more hostile towards Islam and Muslims in my experience, especially in the last few years.
    Well, that's the problem with our society now. Everything is an extreme. You only have two options, both of which are bad. It seems like moderation is no longer possible, and we can no longer have something of both by taking the middle ground.

Don't get me wrong. I know that middle ground politics or ruling hasn't been terribly successful either, but there is this mentality that just because something has failed once, we can't improve on it.

We (Europe) really need to be looking at the middle ground here. Preventing all migration is impossible. Excluding Islam is impossible.Limiting migration is possible to certain degrees. But more importantly, we need to apply the reasonable idea of the left and the right in solving this issue but using the middle as the glue.

I would say that moderation has been successful. To a point and that point is the current situation where you have a clustering of opportunities in a few areas. Anywhere else is left behind while the relatively few prosperous places come with a much higher cost of living.

My real issue with immigration is the lack of real research and long-term planning. The research leads nowhere and doesn't provide realistic long-term projections anymore. Worse still, is that we no longer make long-term plans which are doable. That needs to change.

Then there's the long term viability of the planet. We're in for, what a 3 billion increase in population by the turn of 2050-2060. The only real way I can see to get birth rates down to a reasonable level is to increase women's rights, education, infrastructure and opportunities in the developing world. Globalisation, if managed properly can help with this but proper, long term solutions are a must.
    I'm not against immigration. I'm against the sheer stupidity of not being realistic about it. It's not going to stop. It's not going to disappear. We need realistic/practical plans which are based on solid research (not biased or following an agenda), to prepare us for what is coming.

I find that most people are. Especially outside the internet. Social media encourages people to take sides and get ever more polarised. Stand on O'Connell street in Dublin for a day and I'd say you'd struggle to met a single proponent of open borders over 25 (excluding mature studenty types).
    Its difficult to have faith in countries like Germany , their politicians routinely trot out that what is happening in Germany in the last couple of years is a good thing because somehow these largely unskilled and poorly educated individuals will pay for Germany's welfare system.
    Ireland's chatterati aren't much better, resentment will increase over time if a sensible framing of the issue isn't even possible

Coverage of the German situation has been overwhelmingly negative as far as I can observe. The right wing press are adopting a sanctimonious tone while the left is being a bit quiet. Moderates muse solutions like integration classes and the like but moderation isn't in anymore, especially in the social media crowd.
    JJJJNR wrote: »
    I do not want a UK situation here 100%, there is no model to avoid it, so we need to prevent it. That goes for any groups that live here, including French, Spanish German and English. I also don’t want my part of Wicklow becoming part of Dublin because it has cheaper houses and the Dubs only mix with their own types.... again human nature..

I live in a white-minority part of London and I've had no problems. If you're referring to grooming gangs, I fear that this won't be resolved until the Labour party councillors involved who thought working class girls weren't worth bothering about are brought to heel. Unfortunately, Labour still has strong support in those areas.
    I don't think Muslim priests go far enough to condemn the acts of terror, and put far more effort into playing the victim of Islamophobia then condemning acts like what we have seen. At the same time we dont see western leaders coming out about car bombs in Baghdad that kill 100s or fires in russia. I don't know what to think any more so avoid news, but the world is a scary place and a lot of effort comes from both sides into making that possible which instils fear and hate speech from both populations .

There were marches after the Manchester attack as I recall with Muslims taking part.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Coverage of the German situation has been overwhelmingly negative as far as I can observe. The right wing press are adopting a sanctimonious tone while the left is being a bit quiet. Moderates muse solutions like integration classes and the like but moderation isn't in anymore, especially in the social media crowd.

Im not talking about coverage, my comment was about what the German gov tells its people and us indirectly

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Im not talking about coverage, my comment was about what the German gov tells its people and us indirectly

Do you have any specific examples?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Obviously. Care to have a go at explaining my error or are you just going to stick with juvenile smileys?

Alt right like the far right are akin to the KKK, they are a real hate group, if you knew anything about JPs work you would know he is completely against that and finds all totalitarian ideologies disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Do you have any specific examples?

back in the heady days of 2015

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-germany-economy/refugees-could-help-ease-skills-shortage-in-germany-merkels-deputy-idUSKCN0RA1Z220150910
    BERLIN (Reuters) - A record-breaking influx of refugees could help ease Germany’s skills shortage and companies should start training programs for asylum-seekers to speed up integration, Economy Minister Sigmar Gabriel said on Thursday.

meanwhile forward to 2017 reality sets in :rolleyes:

https://www.ft.com/content/022de0a4-54f4-11e7-9fed-c19e2700005f
    Up to three quarters of Germany’s refugees will still be unemployed in five years’ time, according to a government minister, in a stark admission of the challenges the country faces in integrating its huge migrant population.

Aydan Özoğuz, commissioner for immigration, refugees and integration, told the Financial Times that only a quarter to a third of the newcomers would enter the labour market over the next five years, and “for many others we will need up to 10”.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Thanks for the links.

To be fair, easing the employment shortage wasn't an unreasonable prediction at the time. Obviously this precedes the realisation of how difficult it would be just to process so many people, let alone find them work/lodgings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Thanks for the links.

To be fair, easing the employment shortage wasn't an unreasonable prediction at the time. Obviously this precedes the realisation of how difficult it would be just to process so many people, let alone find them work/lodgings.

Many did realise, but were told they were islamophobes / racists /nazis etc. etc. when they raised concerns, just as they are today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Gravelly wrote: »
    Many did realise, but were told they were islamophobes / racists /nazis etc. etc. when they raised concerns, just as they are today.

Agree.

Many were concerned though about the Blatant lie people were being told

Again, that's just airheads on social media. I don't know why they're being treated as if they're somehow important or relevant.

• Advertisement

Again, that's just airheads on social media. I don't know why they're being treated as if they're somehow important or relevant.

They are important and relevant because the people screaming "racist" any time a concern is raised are giving politicians cover to continue to bring in large numbers of unvetted, unsuitable immigrants under the pretence that it's what the people want. A referendum might solve this once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Grayson wrote: »
    Can you name a non Irish group that has mortered downing St? If you give a ridiculously exact example then of course I can't. And you can't answer mine.
    BTW, did you know the first suicide bombing in the middle east (in modern times at least. Haven't researched too far back) was Jewish. It was against the British.
    As for bombings of civilians I could name loads and the first 20 at least would be performed by Irish people.

Hello Whataboutery my old friend. :rolleyes:
    Like say why some Irish people, including some second generation, in the UK bombed UK population centres for decades but muslims didn't? Despite the fact that both were subjected to racism?

Big difference is they were Irish and were involved in terrorism related to an Irish issue.

It wasn't because some catholics somewhere were being attacked, even by the British.

Yet you have British muslim Pakistani descendants, even muslims who are descendants of Nigerian christians, attacking British people because some muslims were attacked in say Iraq or Afghanistan.

That would be like Irish descendants in Britain attacking British people because Britain backed Indonesia's subjugation of catholics in East Timor.

Can you not see the bloody difference ?
    Oh, I understood. Hysterics, generalisations and general noise. If people are going to slavishly follow some alt-right Professor then one would think they'd have bought his book and actually tried incorporating it into their lives.

All the sly digs really serve to do is to reinforce my belief that you have no argument whatsoever. I try to read posts by the likes of Klaz and Wibbs who, while I disagree with them I can at least respect them and often find their posts challenging and illuminating if nothing else.

What Alt Right professor ?

You mean you want another Politics forum where only posts you deem worthy are allowed ?
    Thanks for the links.

Ah come on that is bullcr**.

A lot of people, including posters around here and you know it, pointed out that most of the ones clamouring to get to Germany were not going to be employable.
    It was obvious that there was massive amount of freeloaders looking for a social welfare nirvana.
    And it was very obvious when they moved on from Denmark to Sweden when Denmark tightened their controls.

Of course you were probably buying into and propagating the myth that we would be getting the intelligentsia and academics of Syria. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I didn't misrepresent anything. The user used specific phrasing and I enquired about it. I know it's against the safe space you'd clearly rather this thread was.
    I remember in the politics cafe forum, there was a guy, not mentioning any names who used to do the same thing. Regardless of the point, if he perceived the semantics of the sentence to be a bit off, he derailed the thread with an argument about it. In this case, ok Sharia law never occurred in Ireland, but that obviously wasn't the point he was trying to make. But job done, the narrative was derailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Islam is not the whole problem, anyone I've ever met who was a Muslim was a peaceful natured person ,very intelligent and seriously sound, I'm looking at you Mohammed. I've no problem with Muslims or any other faith being part of the fabric of Ireland.

I do not want a UK situation here 100%, there is no model to avoid it, so we need to prevent it. That goes for any groups that live here, including French, Spanish German and English. I also don’t want my part of Wicklow becoming part of Dublin because it has cheaper houses and the Dubs only mix with their own types.... again human nature..

I don't think Muslim priests go far enough to condemn the acts of terror, and put far more effort into playing the victim of Islamophobia then condemning acts like what we have seen. At the same time we dont see western leaders coming out about car bombs in Baghdad that kill 100s or fires in russia. I don't know what to think any more so avoid news, but the world is a scary place and a lot of effort comes from both sides into making that possible which instils fear and hate speech from both populations .

#Confused

A girl made a website where she collates every example of muslims condemning violence. The problem is that a thousand muslim leaders condemn violence, one nutjob cheers it on, which makes the papers?

https://muslimscondemn.com/
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2017/mar/26/muslims-condemn-terrorism-stats

As for what happened in the UK, well it's not that bad. I'd argue that what happened in France was worse. Simply because successive governments had the policy of excluding minorities, especially arabs. people were directed towards neighborhoods. Something similar happened in the US. they directed people into the housing projects and you ended up with neighborhoods near each other where everyone in one was white and everyone in the next one was poor and black.

We shouldn't implement those policies. We can implement policies that foster integration rather than separation.

jmayo wrote: »
    Hello Whataboutery my old friend. :rolleyes:

Big difference is they were Irish and were involved in terrorism related to an Irish issue.

It wasn't because some catholics somewhere were being attacked, even by the British.

Yet you have British muslim Pakistani descendants, even muslims who are descendants of Nigerian christians, attacking British people because some muslims were attacked in say Iraq or Afghanistan.

That would be like Irish descendants in Britain attacking British people because Britain backed Indonesia's subjugation of catholics in East Timor.

Can you not see the bloody difference ?

I can see the difference and the similarities. The point is that islam doesn't have a monopoly on terrorism but it is the only time that terrorism is equated with an entire group of people.
    When people ask what causes someone to join an islamic terrorist group the answer they accept is "islam". However with every terrorist group, when you look at their members there are a multitude of reasons that can cause one person to become a terrorist and another not to.
    Even within islamic terrorist groups you have Hamas, Al-Qaeda, ISIS, chechen rebels and others. each will have different social and political reasons for joining. And even within those groups you'll find variation. There are also certain similarities within the socio political reasons too.

Simply saying Islam = terrorism isn't an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Agree.

Many were concerned though about the Blatant lie people were being told

Also, youth unemployment in Spain, Greece etc is huge. Why was there no push for European citizens to move country freely?? Why the need to import non-EU citizens??

Also, youth unemployment in Spain, Greece etc is huge. Why was there no push for European citizens to move country freely?? Why the need to import non-EU citizens??

It's a bizarre situation all right.... but a few years back for a dole thread here on boards, I suggested similar for Irish people to get off the dole, and receive jobs in Germany rather than Immigrants. The government could easily arrange cheap flights for people who wanted to return home every second weekend or such.

I was told that it was unreasonable to expect people to travel. Any suggestion for them to move to another country for work was shot down by a lot of posters. I find it bizarre because I moved to China during the Banking crash to get work. Bit of a difference from heading to Germany. [You actually get the same attitude about the housing crisis and suggesting that people buy in the outskirts of Dublin or the countryside. It's unreasonable to suggest it. :rolleyes:]

There is actually the Eures scheme with the dole to "help" the unemployed gain work within Europe, and while they claim that language requirements aren't a big issue, the reality is that they are. Employers are more careful with EU citizens than they would be with non-EU citizens. We have more rights to protect us from those wanting cheap labor, and from what I've seen the Eures scheme is about cheap labor. Still, you can get financial support for flights and interviews in other EU countries. Although, again it is geared more towards the long-term unemployed than those recently signed on.

I find that there isn't much interest in promoting the practical benefits of being EU citizens and instead it all revolves around business interests. It should be easier to find work in Europe for a EU citizen, than going outside of Europe, but in many situations, it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's a bizarre situation all right.... but a few years back for a dole thread here on boards, I suggested similar for Irish people to get off the dole, and receive jobs in Germany rather than Immigrants. The government could easily arrange cheap flights for people who wanted to return home every second weekend or such.

I was told that it was unreasonable to expect people to travel. Any suggestion for them to move to another country for work was shot down by a lot of posters. I find it bizarre because I moved to China during the Banking crash to get work. Bit of a difference from heading to Germany.

There is actually the Eures scheme with the dole to "help" the unemployed gain work within Europe, and while they claim that language requirements aren't a big issue, the reality is that they are. Employers are more careful with EU citizens than they would be with non-EU citizens. We have more rights to protect us from those wanting cheap labor, and from what I've seen the Eures scheme is about cheap labor. Still, you can get financial support for flights and interviews in other EU countries. Although, again it is geared more towards the long-term unemployed than those recently signed on.

I find that there isn't much interest in promoting the practical benefits of being EU citizens and instead it all revolves around business interests. It should be easier to find work in Europe for a EU citizen, than going outside of Europe, but in many situations, it's not.

I suppose EU workers working in the EU wouldn’t bring “multiculturism” and would be no good for our leaders puppet masters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

I can see the difference and the similarities. The point is that islam doesn't have a monopoly on terrorism .

No but it has cornered the market.
    And theres a huge difference between organized Islamic terrorism and individual loners committing terror acts for no other reason than ideology. Islam has both of these in huge numbers. Nothing else has both. And your own inability to distinguish between good and bad because of individuality means you strongly suggest they all have to go. Actually contributing something instead of just asking pointless questions is the only chance you have of anyone even considering your position.

I constantly bring this up as the Elephant in the room. Youth unemployment in the Mediterranean can be up to 60%. Middle aged unemployment doesnt exactly bring a smile to ones face either. If the money spent on importing snowflakes was spent on unemployed European citizens instead then the EU wouldnt be in grave danger of falling apart. A family with no fraternal loyalty is not a family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

I constantly bring this up as the Elephant in the room. Youth unemployment in the Mediterranean can be up to 60%. Middle aged unemployment doesnt exactly bring a smile to ones face either. If the money spent on importing snowflakes was spent on unemployed European citizens instead then the EU wouldnt be in grave danger of falling apart. A family with no fraternal loyalty is not a family.
    Importing snowflakes??
    Hyperbole much old dear?
    You need to get a grip

I can see the difference and the similarities. The point is that islam doesn't have a monopoly on terrorism but it is the only time that terrorism is equated with an entire group of people.

err... not really. You're looking through the lens that is western culture. Other countries don't see it that way. When I moved to Russia, I had people ask me if I was a supporter of the IRA simply because I was Irish. For them, they didn't really recognise the differences between North and South, because it wasn't very important a distinction in their media, or education. I've received similar reaction in Asia, and Africa.

The truth is that in most countries stereotypes are the rule. We are judged by our international reputation. International. Not Western. Which is why White S.Africans gain so much criticisms in the West, but rarely anything outside of the West. They don't consider Western media to be a reliable source.

The problem is that most of the groups are connected to the religion. The IRA were connected to Catholicism but it was very much a background issue. Same with many terrorist or freedom fighters. Religion might have played a part in their organisations but rarely was it part of the core message.

It's different with most Islamic terrorist groups. They push their faith to the public eye by using religious slogans and by emphasizing their desire for a certain way of life for their followers per religious/cultural beliefs. For them, their religion actually gives them the right to pursue their "war", beyond the political or military reasons that most other groups give as their primary focus.
    Simply saying Islam = terrorism isn't an answer.

I agree with you, it's not. However, pretending the connections aren't there, isn't the answer either.

Once again, the real problem is taking things to extremes. The amount of Muslims actively involved or supporting terrorism is relatively small. The wars in the M.East isn't terrorism although they're connected to Terrorist organisations... but mostly that's western media/gov't spin. And so, Muslims as a whole, shouldn't be treated like potential terrorists. They really shouldn't.

At the same time though, neither does that mean we treat them the same as any EU citizen... because their culture is vastly different from ours, and we have seen a rise in trouble (terrorism or cultural friction) from Muslims in the west. Therefore it makes sense to have increased awareness regarding their behavior while in Europe, and to be more demanding in how they conduct themselves. They always have the choice to leave Europe and go elsewhere.

I suppose EU workers working in the EU wouldn’t bring “multiculturism” and would be no good for our leaders puppet masters

Never quite understood that reasoning. I've lived in both Germany and Italy. Their cultures are extremely different from, say, Ireland. We generally share common values but the cultures are different.

Why can't we have multiculturalism with just people from Western nationalities?

But I guess that's isolationist thinking, or white supremacy or some other rubbish?

No but it has cornered the market.
    And theres a huge difference between organized Islamic terrorism and individual loners committing terror acts for no other reason than ideology. Islam has both of these in huge numbers. Nothing else has both. And your own inability to distinguish between good and bad because of individuality means you strongly suggest they all have to go. Actually contributing something instead of just asking pointless questions is the only chance you have of anyone even considering your position.

Not everywhere it hasn't. In the US for example there are more attacks by right wing nationalists than Islamists. Most years you are more likely to be killed by a toddler with a gun.

In europe it has at the moment but it wasn't long ago that groups like the IRA had the market cornered.

Plus that still doesn't mean that all muslims or any great number will commit attacks. It's still a very, very small number that will do it. And you cannot apply wide scale restrictions on muslims because of the actions of a tiny, tiny minority.

And I don't ask pointless questions. Every single one of my posts has a point that is explained adequately.

In europe it has at the moment but it wasn't long ago that groups like the IRA had the market cornered.

When did the IRA make attacks outside of the UK/Ireland?

Fact is, very few European or western terrorist organisations made attacks outside their own national borders. Am I wrong here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I live in predominantly Muslim country neighbouring Saudi Arabia and there is a Christian church within walking distance from my apartment. Should I deny the Arabs in Dublin the same rights they've afforded the religion of my birth here? The Saudis aren't the be all and end all of Arab Muslims.

Some what old post but all Gulf countries persecute religious minorities. Yes there are non Muslim places of worship in the region but they are hugely restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Fact is, very few European or western terrorist organisations made attacks outside their own national borders. Am I wrong here?

They made plenty of attacks on mainland Europe. Majority in Germany on British military bases there since the World War but one of the more famous ones was the murder of two Australian tourists in the Netherlands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

I see this question all the time here,

"so you're going to treat all muslims the same because of a few (many many thousands at least) extremists?"

100% yes, if it means my children have a lesser chance of being raped or blown up by people who shouldnt be here in the first place.

Why the f*ck are we importing people to work in Spar and Centra?????

• Advertisement

1996 Osnabrück mortar attack in Germany, and foiled attacks in Gibraltar and Belgium. All IRA.

You cant produce a citation and any information you provide would still be useless. Elliot Rogers wasnt a nationalists . However the lunatic who gunned down a gay nightclub was a Muslim. America has a low Muslim population so youd expect most of anything that happens in America would be connected with non Muslims. However Muslims are disproportionately causing problems everywhere. Islam can be judged by its fruits. Its fruits are rotten everywhere. Most Muslims are murdered by other Muslims. Islam is bad for Muslims. The infection of Islam should be removed at the border.

Not everywhere it hasn't. In the US for example there are more attacks by right wing nationalists than Islamists.

And you dream of importing as many Islamists as Sweden so that Americas ( and our) crime can get worse.

thebull85 wrote: »
    1996 Osnabrück mortar attack in Germany, and foiled attacks in Gibraltar and Belgium. All IRA.

And all the marxist sjws cheered them on and are still proud of them. Those marxist sjws who love anarchy because total destruction is the only way they will ever have any power are disappointed its mostly gone away and want to create a domestic and Pan-European Islamic problem for old times sake.

Groups like the IRA.

There were groups across europe. Many did make attacks outside Europe. many shared training and had links. they focussed on individual countries but had a similar goal.

And the numbers killed by terrorists were very similar to today. I think at it's height there were more terrorist killings than there are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I think at it's height there were more terrorist killings than there are now.

That might have been true before ISIS did their thing. They put a lot of numbers on the board.

Terrorism isn't the only worry. Grooming gangs are far worse imo and they were left to run riot all over England because of a fear of appearing racist. That mentality is alive and well in Ireland as well.

Berlin Jews being advised to wear baseball caps to hide their skullcaps after a Syrian "refugee" attacked a young man. This follows on from the recent murders of Jews in Paris by Muslims..

But the Irish Muslims will be different of course, we'll get the nice ones, not the "tiny minority" of violent ones.

• Advertisement

Rory28 wrote: »
    That might have been true before ISIS did their thing. They put a lot of numbers on the board.

Terrorism isn't the only worry. Grooming gangs are far worse imo and they were left to run riot all over England because of a fear of appearing racist. That mentality is alive and well in Ireland as well.

Grooming gangs are bad but there are very few. They account for a minuscule percentage of the muslims in the UK but they are responsible for hundreds if not thousands of crimes. .
    When deciding how we treat muslims we shouldn't allow the actions of a tiny few dictate our actions. (If however you are dealing with the tiny few, feel free to be an asshole).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Berlin Jews being advised to wear baseball caps to hide their skullcaps after a Syrian "refugee" attacked a young man. This follows on from the recent murders of Jews in Paris by Muslims..

All covered up by the mainstream liberal media. Just like the horrific New Years Eve attacks all over Germany in 2015, when countless women were attacked, raped and assaulted by Muslim immigrants.

Grooming gangs are bad but there are very few. They account for a minuscule percentage of the muslims in the UK but they are responsible for hundreds if not thousands of crimes. .
    When deciding how we treat muslims we shouldn't allow the actions of a tiny few dictate our actions. (If however you are dealing with the tiny few, feel free to be an asshole).

If it affected thousands of different girls in cities across the country then I dont thinks its as tiny as you make it out to be.

http://www.pmclauth.com/sentenced/Grooming-Gang-Statistics/Gangs-Jailed

From the article:
    "When one considers that logically there must be in excess of 100,000 victims, the convictions below are the tip of a massive iceberg."

None of us want this in Ireland and with simple immigration control we can at least try and prevent it.

All covered up by the mainstream liberal media. Just like the horrific New Years Eve attacks all over Germany in 2015, when countless women were attacked, raped and assaulted by Muslim immigrants.

What are you talking about? Both of those stories are from the New York Times. That's part of the main stream media isn't it?

Also from that first story.
    Many point to the arrival of more than 1 million migrants and refugees, many of them from the conflict-ridden Middle East, who have been taught to hate Jews and seek Israel’s demise. However, police statistics from 2017 show that of 1,453 anti-Semitic crimes, nine out of 10 were attributed to members of far-right or neo-Nazi groups. Anti-Semitism has also become more prevalent in pop culture.

thebull85 wrote: »

Thanks. Didn't know that. I'm not very clued in with IRA history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I watched a video of the reporter who was the first to break these stories in main stream media for the independent giving a talk. He described some of the cases he had investigated. One girl described to him how one night she was bought upstairs above a takeaway and there was a queue of men wsiting to rape her. From teenagers to men in their 50's all lined up on the stairs, she said she was raped by at least 50 men that night. This was in Rotherham and men had travelled from Birmingham and all over the country. The 'groomers' were a minority, the men that raped them were many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Not everywhere it hasn't. In the US for example there are more attacks by right wing nationalists than Islamists.
    Muslims account for only 1% of the population in the USA. So the percentage of Islamic extremists in the USA is tiny.
    But they still managed to bring down the World Trade Center and carry out mass slaughter in gay night clubs and the like.
    As very few Americans would declare themselves as right wing extremists, we will never know the percentage of these guys in the USA.

baylah17 wrote: »
    Importing snowflakes??
    Hyperbole much old dear?
    You need to get a grip

Look what a snowflake you are . Trying to language police me. You provided your own citation. And from now on I will be reminding sarcastic sjws that their salty responses never negate my original point.

One of the people doing some of the best work in speaking up about these problems in the UK is Maajid Nawaz. Well worth looking him up on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

One of the people doing some of the best work in speaking up about these problems in the UK is Maajid Nawaz. Well worth looking him up on YouTube.

A few days I posted an interview Maajid did with Joe Rogan, well worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

Look what a snowflake you are . Trying to language police me. You provided your own citation. And from now on I will be reminding sarcastic sjws that their salty responses never negate my original point.

Are you American? Why do you have an opinion on Islam in Ireland?

Greyling wrote: »
    Are you American? Why do you have an opinion on Islam in Ireland?

Why would him being American be an issue and why cant he have an opinion on Islam in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I often thought that its no coincidence that Belgium has such a large muslim population, and it happens to be the HQ of the European parliament.

Watch and see what would happen if EU decided to relocate its parliament HQ to Portugal for example. In fact I think they should consider it sooner rather than later.

http://mybs.in/2VmDVFY

ISIS sending more fighters to Europe warns UN.
    Shock!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement