Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Odhinn wrote: »
    Gravelly wrote: »
    The cry of "it's all hyperbole and it's the same as the nazis with the Jews" is all well and good, but here are some facts, without any hyperbole:

I was actually referring to European anti-semtism, which has a very long and deep rooted history. Blaming it all on the germans is something of a cop-out.

Could happen again. The population weren't, afaik, consulted.

In 2017, there were an average of 2 large-scale Islamic terrorism attacks EVERY MONTH, leading to the violent deaths of over 450 people

"German police have recorded more than 450 asylum-related assaults on politicians and aid workers in 2016."
    http://www.dw.com/en/hundreds-of-right-wing-asylum-related-attacks-in-2016/a-36377046

...and theres been a goood number of attacks on refugees in Sweden too, if I recall.

So your answer to the problem of islamic violence (which you were downplaying up until now) is "shure aren't others at it as well"

Sums up the utter moral bankruptcy of you and your fellow travellers to a T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

How do you feel about vegetarians and vegans?

What kind of nonsense is this.
    "What about vegans" "what about pizza"

Ill tell you what i think about vegans, the same as i feel about muslims who live in ireland, who wish to eat halal meat,
    I DONT GIVE A FLYING ****, sort yourself out.

Whats next, my FEELINGS on haggis, or the sammi people of Lapland

gw80 wrote: »
    Yes because its about how the burgers taste,

It is to the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Ill tell you what i think about vegans, the same as i feel about muslims who live in ireland, who wish to eat halal meat,

What's nonsense is getting upset because the meat in your burger was butchered a particular way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

What's nonsense is getting upset because the meat in your burger was butchered a particular way.

Exactly. Now re-read your post and apply that logic to Muslims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Totally agree .glad your coming round. They should eat the burgers the school provide or leave it without making a fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

This is why I don't think Islam is right for Ireland or Europe....

https://youtu.be/Y597ZkuhhsA

It's a ridiculous notion for us in the West to believe that our culture is 'best' and that as soon as people step onto European soil and receive the benefits that they will see that our culture and values are 'better' and behave accordingly. It just isn't going to happen. If you've been brought up believing that women should be segregated and homosexuality should be illegal and all the other tenants of sharia and customs of Islam then you aren't going to change your views because you you changed your location.

Brae100 wrote: »
    Exactly. Now re-read your post and apply that logic to Muslims.

I do. If Muslims were giving out about meat at an event not being to their liking I'd be saying the same. If you don't like it then don't eat it. Although why a non-muslim would have an issue with eating halal meat is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

I think its' extremely significant that despite some members of the forum (obviously with an agenda) being obsessed with the topic enough to ask ridiculously pedantic questions and language police , not one of them has ever tried to make the argument that Islam is right for Ireland. This is because it's an impossible and unwinnable argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

wakka12 wrote: »
    What does belgium will be lost mean exactly? You believe the state of belgium will cease exist during our lifetime , due to muslim population growth?
    I have many huge reservations about the islamic religion, but this seems like hyperbole

Lost as in territory for the great ideological war of our time.

• Advertisement

I think its' extremely significant that despite some members of the forum (obviously with an agenda) being obsessed with the topic enough to ask ridiculously pedantic questions and language police , not one of them has ever tried to make the argument that Islam is right for Ireland. This is because it's an impossible and unwinnable argument.

No religion should dictate a countries laws.
    No country should dictate religious freedom.

I do. If Muslims were giving out about meat at an event not being to their liking I'd be saying the same. If you don't like it then don't eat it. Although why a non-muslim would have an issue with eating halal meat is beyond me.

Where to even start deconstructing that argument! There's no point, you'll just deflect.

Here is the issue for me. I don't particularly care about Halal or Kosher, that's not the real problem. The problem is that this is indicative of the lack of willingness to integrate. They want to impose their culture and traditions on us and supplant our culture with theirs. 1% of the population and already Islam is starting to encroach and affect other people. What happens when they hit 5%, 10%?

No religion is right for Ireland, Muslim, Jewish or Christian. A completely secular state is the ideal. That doesn't mean people who practice those religions aren't right for Ireland.

Where to even start deconstructing that argument! There's no point, you'll just deflect.

Here is the issue for me. I don't particularly care about Halal or Kosher, that's not the real problem. The problem is that this is indicative of the lack of willingness to integrate. They want to impose their culture and traditions on us and supplant our culture with theirs. 1% of the population and already Islam is starting to encroach and affect other people. What happens when they hit 5%, 10%?

You don't want them to integrate, you want them to assimilate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Foodrage is a terrible thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

bubblypop wrote: »

No country should give up it's own values and rule of law for a religion. Thats happening right now all over Europe. When a religion becomes synonymous in peoples minds with violence then it steps over the line.

Germany is a great example .

They dont recognise Scientology but they recognise Islam - because their so called principles bow in fear to violence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7133867.stm

This is how it all starts little things like this and then it grows. We're there not schools that had to remove crucifixs off walls and could not display the words happy Christmas. That's why it doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

wexie wrote: »
    oh okay....

what about Guiness? that compulsory as well?

What has Guiness got to do with a barbaric way of slaughtering animals? Are there animals in Guiness? I'm a cider drinker myself.

No country should give up it's own values and rule of law for a religion. Thats happening right now all over Europe. When a religion becomes synonymous in peoples minds with violence then it steps over the line.

It's happening in Ireland. Our laws are hamstrung by the Christian restrictions in our constitution. A vastly bigger issue than halal burgers in my own opinion.
    Germany is a great example .

They dont recognise Scientology but they recognise Islam - because their so called principles bow in fear to violence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7133867.stm

No, it's because one is established for thousands of years and the other is not,
    This is how it all starts little things like this and then it grows. We're there not schools that had to remove crucifixs off walls and could not display the words happy Christmas. That's why it doesn't work.

Why would I, a secularist, care if schools had to stop using religious symbols?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

Foodrage is a terrible thing.

Ha, no food rage here, i can asure you of that, i will eat that ****, halal, kosher, vegetarian, i dont care,
    Now if you said idiot rage then yea, you might be closer to the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So what is right for Ireland?
    An anti religious secular culture police that endures strict adherence to the state and atheism? Will there be a list of approved religions people are allowed to follow?
    What guidelines will there be? Will people be punished for wearing religious symbols or for using religious expressions in public?
    Soviet Russia right there.
    Nobody wants a caliphate, but nobody wants a totalitarian secular dictatorship either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What is your definition of religious freedom ?

Islam in it's most pure form does not believe in or tolerate religious freedom.

Should someone be free to harass others who do not conform to their religious ideas?

That is exactly what is happening in the video above showing how women are now treated in certain Parisian suburbs.

Should someone be able to dictate that everyone else should have to eat the food dictated by their religion ?

Should a religion be able to dictate how public swimming pools and school organised trips to swimming polls be segregated on gender ?

AFAIK some parents tried this in Switzerland not so long ago.
    We had a leading muslim spokesman in Ireland talking about segregation of girls in Irish school system.

And the most ironic thing of all is that in the vast majority of muslim dominated states religion does dictate the legal structure in the state.

And it is adherents to this religion from some of these states that you and others want to move here.

I am not allowed discuss …

We're there not schools that had to remove crucifixs off walls and could not display the words happy Christmas. That's why it doesn't work.

No loss. State funded schools shouldn't be religious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

From what I understand, halal slaughter is practiced in many Irish locations?

No loss. State funded schools shouldn't be religious

And yet my daughter's school is offering Halal only burgers at their open day tomorrow and you have defended this!

jmayo wrote: »
    What is your definition of religious freedom ?

Islam in it's most pure form does not believe in or tolerate religious freedom.

Should someone be free to harass others who do not conform to their religious ideas?

That is exactly what is happening in the video above showing how women are now treated in certain Parisian suburbs.

Should someone be able to dictate that everyone else should have to eat the food dictated by their religion ?

Should a religion be able to dictate how public swimming pools and school organised trips to swimming polls be segregated on gender ?

AFAIK some parents tried this in Switzerland not so long ago.
    We had a leading muslim spokesman in Ireland talking about segregation of girls in Irish school system.

And the most ironic thing of all is that in the vast majority of muslim dominated states religion does dictate the legal structure in the state.

And it is adherents to this religion from some of these states that you and others want to move here.

Religious freedom is the freedom to practice Your Own religion.
    State laws always come first.

And yet my daughter's school is offering Halal only burgers at their open day tomorrow and you have defended this!

What kind of school is it? & does it really matter how the cow was killed, you're gonna eat it anyway.
    Schools should be apart from religion. This country has a long way to go.
    But as far as I am aware, most meat in Ireland that is slaughtered here is halal anyway, so you probably eat it yourself.

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

Horrifying!!!!

Yet if it was any other religion being forces on the wider community like no option prayer etc you would be genuinely bleeting about how horrifying it was! I think it's cowardly, your scared of provoking the Muslims so will accept any bending over backwards for Islam but if them followers of the peace loving hippy force their religion on society in anyway time for rage.

What kind of school is it? & does it really matter how the cow was killed, you're gonna eat it anyway.
    But as far as I am aware, most meat in Ireland that is slaughtered here is halal anyway, so you probably eat it yourself.

It's an Educate Together school. We don't have secular, or non-denominational schools in Ireland. Educate Together's multi-denominational model is the best we have.

By offering Halal only burgers, that is religion encroaching on our educational system and it has no place in our schools.

I don't know where you got the idea that most meat in Ireland is Halal, that's absolutely not true. Perhaps you are confusing the fact that a lot of European Halal meats originate from an Irish producer?

• Advertisement

And what would be wrong with eating it. It's not me who has the problem with this. But why should I have to change my ways to accommodate a religious belief which you say schools should be apart from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Regardless of whether you are a practising Christian or not, you are culturally Christian.
    In the West, all our laws are derived from Christs teachings and the bible, a stand out being the thought that God made us in his image, and there is God in all of us. That's where the notion of equality comes from. Have you seen that idea of equality anywhere that is not touched by European/Christian influence?

Where else do women have the freedoms that they have here in the West? I cannot comprehend how people can shut their eyes to the catastrophy on the horizon. Nothing good comes from that religion, or its followers. They literally cut the clits of little girls FFS! If it was men getting their co*ks cut off and sewn up, there would be a very different story!

At what stage will Europe (Germany) break its back from bending over to accommodate people who are the image of the opposite of a free, liberal society? Name a single other religious group that has caused as much havoc in Europe over the past 5 years? My gosh

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    Yet if it was any other religion being forces on the wider community like no option prayer etc you would be genuinely bleeting about how horrifying it was! I think it's cowardly, your scared of provoking the Muslims so will accept any bending over backwards for Islam but if them followers of the peace loving hippy force their religion on society in anyway time for rage.

But it isn't forcing a religion on anyone. Christians can eat Halal meat. It's just catering to the largest amount of people.

It's an Educate Together school. We don't have secular, or non-denominational schools in Ireland. Educate Together's multi-denominational model is the best we have.

By offering Halal only burgers, that is religion encroaching on our educational system and it has no place in our schools.

I don't know where you got the idea that most meat in Ireland is Halal, that's absolutely not true. Perhaps you are confusing the fact that a lot of European Halal meats originate from an Irish producer?

I don't believe state schools should have religion involved. I don't believe they should have religious symbols in their buildings.
    But I have no problem with the children attending wearing chains with crucifix on them, or whatever clothes they see fit.
    I don't see the need for halal burgers at school, but seeing as they taste the same, I don't think it makes much difference.
    Yes, maybe I am wrong about the halal slaughter in Ireland, but the animals are stunned before killing. Not that it makes any difference to me, you kill them to eat them.

But it isn't forcing a religion on anyone. Christians can eat Halal meat. It's just catering to the largest amount of people.

Why what's the breakdown of religions in the school or did I miss that bit

A lot of Christians object to eating halal. My neighbours, devout Catholics from Poland originally-lovely people-always ask if it is halal if they are eating out and they avoid it.

How do I know this-they asked at my brother in laws wedding and were delighted when told the beef was not halal. Win win for everyone.

• Advertisement

I don't believe state schools should have religion involved. I don't believe they should have religious symbols in their buildings.
    But I have no problem with the children attending wearing chains with crucifix on them, or whatever clothes they see fit.
    I don't see the need for halal burgers at school, but seeing as they taste the same, I don't think it makes much difference.
    Yes, maybe I am wrong about the halal slaughter in Ireland, but the animals are stunned before killing. Not that it makes any difference to me, you kill them to eat them.

I agree with nearly all of that, except that I think that the introduction of Halal meat to suit a minority is wrong. I think you are currently serving in an Islamic country. Imagine if you sent your kids to the local majority Islamic school and they had an open day and you and the few other non Muslim parents demanded that they served only non-Halal meat just to pander to you. You would be told to get lost. This is my problem. The minority are demanding that we succumb to their demands and the SJWs here are only too happy to oblige.

Doesn't matter. More groups are included with halal
    A lot of Christians object to eating halal. My neighbours, devout Catholics from Poland originally-lovely people-always ask if it is halal if they are eating out and they avoid it.

How do I know this-they asked at my brother in laws wedding and were delighted when told the beef was not halal. Win win for everyone.

But that's not due to their religion,it's simply preference, like a vegan.

Doesn't matter. More groups are included with halal

But that's not due to their religion,it's simply preference, like a vegan.

They are not vegetarian. I think they object to halal for animal welfare grounds. Not sure

It matters to me for one. Anyhow I'm away for a bacon burger before there totally outlawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Still the best video on this subject

• Advertisement

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Still the best video on this subject

I like Douglas Murray, but that is a terrible video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Name the school please, i cant believe this is actually legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

It's happening in Ireland. Our laws are hamstrung by the Christian restrictions in our constitution. A vastly bigger issue than halal burgers in my own opinion.

If we were that hamstrung by Christianity then we wouldn't have been allowed to vote on Gay Marriage a few years ago and we sure as hell wouldn't be voting on abortion in a few weeks.

I love how how the Islam defenders here are really reaching to try and make Christianity out to be worse so we can gratefully welcome Islam onto Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    If we were that hamstrung by Christianity then we wouldn't have been allowed to vote on Gay Marriage a few years ago and we sure as hell wouldn't be voting on abortion in a few weeks.

I love how how the Islam defenders here are really reaching to try and make Christianity out to be worse so we can gratefully welcome Islam onto Ireland.

That's not even really what this thread is about, our society, based on culture, like all cultures is ever evolving and as a society we have a constant discourse about our values and our beliefs. This thread is largely about what happens when an invasive belief enters a societal ecosystem.
    Sometimes a belief system is adopted by that society because it brings benefits to it, see gay the gay marriage referendum. Society saw it as a positive and beneficial addition to its growth.
    Then there are other ideologies, they have nothing to offer, like cancer has nothing to offer a well body.
    They spread by propagation of themselves alone and by weakening the body (physical or societal). They exploit the weakness of societal immune systems like our compassion or immigration policy to metastasize and grow.
    For a keen example of that just look at the Netflix documentary Wild Wild Country. It's a fascinating tale of how a cult took over a community that was painted as the bad guys for rejecting them, they tried to poison a whole town to influence an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

So you think an irish guy should bring his own food to a day out in an irish school, in Ireland,
    So that a minority of muslim children can be catered for by an irish school?

Have we established the veracity of that tweet?

Odhinn wrote: »
    Have we established the veracity of that tweet?

It wasn't a tweet. It was delivered via Messagecue, a message delivering system that is popular with schools. I will happily PM you the exact details of the message and school.

If you are doubting the message, then perhaps you agree that if true, it is worrying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Most meat in Ireland is slaughtered as halal?! Were did you get this info?!
    I find this post unbelievable bs.
    I'd like to see a link to prove your post, thanks.

Edit :you do know what halal is, don't you?Don't you??
    some skanger saying words over the animals before the throat is slit....Nice...that is not the main practice in Irish abattoirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Pmsl, catering for the small minority in Ireland is more like.. But why not cater for vegans the largest growing section? Both hate bacon... Mmm, tasty bacon!

We had to vote because we were hamstrung and couldn't change the law otherwise. Do you know how the constitution works?

I'd rather both religions didn't exist. But I'm not going to worry about school kids eating halal burgers for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Some posts on here are absolutely pathetic. If halal slaughter didn’t exist and the Pope came out today and said slitting the throat of an animal as prayers were being said was the only way meat was fit for consumption, the pro-halal posters in here would be having a meltdown.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement