Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

Some posts on here are absolutely pathetic. If halal slaughter didn’t exist and the Pope came out today and said slitting the throat of an animal as prayers were being said was the only way meat was fit for consumption, the pro-halal posters in here would be having a meltdown.

Its like they are blind to their hypocrisy.

Some posts on here are absolutely pathetic. If halal slaughter didn’t exist and the Pope came out today and said slitting the throat of an animal as prayers were being said was the only way meat was fit for consumption, the pro-halal posters in here would be having a meltdown.

Personally, I couldn't care less what the pope says. It has no bearing on what I eat.
    If others want to live their lives by what the pope says, that is their business.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

I think we've got to be careful. Islam in itself is not a problem. Its the school of thought, interpretation, that you've to careful of. If theres even a hint of funding from Saudi Arabia, or Wahabbism, round up the Imam's, jail and deport. No questions asked.
    Wahabbism is a cancer, and it can only be eradicated with cattle prods and alsatians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

dermo888 wrote: »
    I think we've got to be careful. Islam in itself is not a problem. Its the school of thought, interpretation, that you've to careful of. If theres even a hint of funding from Saudi Arabia, or Wahabbism, round up the Imam's, jail and deport. No questions asked.
    Wahabbism is a cancer, and it can only be eradicated with cattle prods and alsatians.

shenali180816A03.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

We had to vote because we were hamstrung and couldn't change the law otherwise. Do you know how the constitution works?

You mean that piece of paper that the Govt trashed when they made us vote on the Lisbon Treaty again? Or they trash when it suits them? Do you even know what hamstrung means? As I previously stated if the Church did have such a stranglehold on the Govt then we would have never voted on same sex marriage and we wouldn't be voting on abortion in a few weeks. The Govts position would be "The Church is against it so we're against it."

We should be like the Countries like Japan that have banned the building of mosques and refuse to give them citizenship.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

Well, if I had my way, I'd stamp every Irish passport with the phrase 'Invalid for travel to Saudi Arabia'. I'd kick out the Saudi Arabian Ambassador, completely sever ALL diplomatic relations with the accursed place. I don't quite 'get' it, the country the civilised world should actually be supporting on a path of reform, is Iran. NOT Saudi Scumraapia.

So, no, you don't know how the constitution works.

So you don't know what hamstrung means either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    So you don't know what hamstrung means either.

Restricted in movement.

• Advertisement

Restricted in movement.

So how is the Church still restricting Ireland in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

We should be like the Countries like Japan that have banned the building of mosques and refuse to give them citizenship.

Nope
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/muslims-in-japan/
    dermo888 wrote:
    I don't quite 'get' it, the country the civilised world should actually be supporting on a path of reform, is Iran. NOT Saudi Scumraapia.

....even though wahabi saudi is in far more need of reform?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Well in my locality they are selling off land and property that was left in trust to them for the use of the community. In my county they have stood in the way of non denominational schools. Nationally they are using their influence to try block changes to the constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Well in my locality they are selling off land and property that was left in trust to them for the use of the community. In my county they have stood in the way of non denominational schools. Nationally they are using their influence to try block changes to the constitution.
    +100

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Soldah

Yes. And gay marriage too.

The famed Presbyterian cowboys of yore.

• Advertisement

S(.....................)G]

Feel free to back that up.

..some dude repeating the same claims as the viral e-mail.

Thanks. From the above

"We heard back from three experts who have experience with the intersection of Japan and Islam, and all three said the graphic is blatantly incorrect."

It goes into just how incorrect further on.

Islamic State remains in conflict in Syria of course!
    Odhinn wrote: »
    The famed Presbyterian cowboys of yore.

And you are roman Catholic with zero respectation for law.

• Advertisement

Soldah wrote: »
    Islamic State remains in conflict in Syria of course!

And you are roman Catholic with zero respectation for law.

Tis true, I'm lacking in respectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Good it’s their land that the schools are built on and when labour looked to change some schools to non denominational parents voted against it! Btw anyone notice all the Mosques starting to pop up around Ireland? New large mosque out near Blanchardstown, second mosque being built in Kilkenny, oh right your ok with that religon expanding here, i mean what could go wrong?
    They Catholic Church have no influence in government decisions if so we wouldn’t have gay marriage or having a referendum coming up on the 8th!

Or Conservative rules with Irish citizen.

New large mosque out near Blanchardstown, second mosque being built in Kilkenny, oh right your ok with that religon expanding here, i mean what could go wrong?

The one in Kilkenny hasn't gotten the go ahead. Atleast not yet. There were objections due to the placement of it. Its right across from Nowlan Park and across from St. Kieran's Cemetery [where My Father happens to be buried] They want to build 70ft Minarets and they'll broadcast the call to prayer at 1:00PM [where there usually tends to be a burial on] and 7:30PM and 8:40PM [when the Annual Cemetery Mass is on] There's going to be the Mosque itself, a Mortuary, cafe, Islamic school and apartment complex. Its going to be a traffic nightmare up there. Which is the bulk of the objections have been on. Plus its in an Industrial Estate which means there can't be any residential or religious buildings there.
    They Catholic Church have no influence in government decisions if so we wouldn’t have gay marriage or having a referendum coming up on the 8th!

I keep telling Capt. Oblivious that, but he doesn't want to listen.

The one in Kilkenny hasn't gotten the go ahead. Atleast not yet. There were objections due to the placement of it. Its right across from Nowlan Park and across from St. Kieran's Cemetery [where My Father happens to be buried] They want to build 70ft Minarets and they'll broadcast the call to prayer at 1:00PM [where there usually tends to be a burial on] and 7:30PM and 8:40PM [when the Annual Cemetery Mass is on] There's going to be the Mosque itself, a Mortuary, cafe, Islamic school and apartment complex. Its going to be a traffic nightmare up there. Which is the bulk of the objections have been on. Plus its in an Industrial Estate which means there can't be any residential or religious buildings there.

That's weird. I hadn't thought they'd be allowed to do that here. I wonder do people really know just how loud and persistent that sound is. It's incredibly eerie. Suits the M.East, but I honestly wouldn't like it sounding over my little hometown.

I can't remember the last time I heard the Church bells going in any of our local churches. Is there a ban on it these days?

That's weird. I hadn't thought they'd be allowed to do that here. I wonder do people really know just how loud and persistent that sound is. It's incredibly eerie. Suits the M.East, but I honestly wouldn't like it sounding over my little hometown.

They've let it be known in other Countries that they don't care about their laws. They won't care about ours. Especially once they have the numbers on their side. That call will go for miles. Especially early in the morning [Rumor is that the first call to prayer will be at 5AM] I wonder how the virtue signallers will like being waken up at 5AM with them.
    I can't remember the last time I heard the Church bells going in any of our local churches. Is there a ban on it these days?

The Church bells are still sounding here. Atleast for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The mosque in Clonskeagh does not broadcast the Adhan (call to prayer) audibly outside the mosque.
    It can be heard on speakers inside the mosque alright and it is broadcast by radio signal to anyone that has a receiver in their home.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The mosque in Clonskeagh does not broadcast the Adhan (call to prayer) audibly outside the mosque.
    It can be heard on speakers inside the mosque alright and it is broadcast by radio signal to anyone that has a receiver in their home.

That will change as they gain more numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

New large mosque out near Blanchardstown

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Mosque/Islamic centre in Blanch. The Imam there is moderate and engages and encourages integration and is very vocal about tackling extremism. He has voiced concern about the Mosques on the South Circular Road and Clonskeagh. IMHO he is an example of how Muslims can and should integrate in a host country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 toshr

Regarding prayer calls, i would wager most of the congregation has smartphones, with apps that buzz off when it's time ... Get with the programme :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Brae100 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the Mosque/Islamic centre in Blanch. The Imam there is moderate and engages and encourages integration and is very vocal about tackling extremism. He has voiced concern about the Mosques on the South Circular Road and Clonskeagh. IMHO he is an example of how Muslims can and should integrate in a host country.

No this is a different guy building the new mosque, some questions about where the cash is coming to fund it I would guess Saudi
    Mark has a decent rundown on all mosques in Ireland interesting reading as always

http://markhumphrys.com/islam.ireland.html#blanchardstown.proposed

Brae100 wrote: »

As with most people concerned with Islam, I'm not terribly worried by the Muslims who are currently here. They are, for the most part, moderates and likely not to cause bad publicity or 'rock the boat'. However, I am concerned about those who come afterward once the Culture is established and has gained a certain amount of good faith.

The trend is common in the countries that are currently experiencing the cultural friction with Muslims. The Muslim community is created by moderates, and over time they become more traditional and implement traditions applied to public areas where non-muslims exist, expecting the non-muslims to conform to those same traditions.

The same thing happened in France. I've been holidaying near Montpelier since I was a child with my parents (so almost 3 decades of spending time there), and we could see the gradual changes to the population but also the changing of customs. We saw the Mosques spring up, the slow movement away from the quiet and very moderate style of living towards the more forceful attitude of modern muslims in the area. Now, the city itself isn't really worth visiting anymore because of the tensions that exist.

This is part of the reason I'm so frustrated by the short-sighted approach to Islam and Islamic culture by Ireland. Europe has seen the introduction of moderates, the establishment of Muslim communities who don't cause trouble, and the gradual shift towards more traditional values expressed publicly.

Ireland is, of course, somehow different. I'm still waiting to hear why it won't happen here. What are Irish people doing differently than the rest of Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

bubblypop wrote: »
    Personally, I couldn't care less what the pope says. It has no bearing on what I eat.
    If others want to live their lives by what the pope says, that is their business.

So, are you going to post a link to back up your post saying that most meat produced in Ireland is halal? Or no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

No this is a different guy building the new mosque, some questions about where the cash is coming to fund it I would guess Saudi
    Mark has a decent rundown on all mosques in Ireland interesting reading as always

http://markhumphrys.com/islam.ireland.html#blanchardstown.proposed

Oh, fair enough. Wasn't aware of this. I'll read further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Greyling wrote: »
    Look what a snowflake you are . Trying to language police me. You provided your own citation. And from now on I will be reminding sarcastic sjws that their salty responses never negate my original point.

Are you American? Why do you have an opinion on Islam in Ireland?
    The same reason why Irish people have opinions on Donald Trump and Brexit.

Perhaps Saudi should be encouraged to build Churches before Ireland starts to build Mosques tolerance is a 2 way street Islam has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 toshr

There's nothing stopping you moving down there and promote that is there?

conorhal wrote: »

It's a numbers game, once they have the numbers to become a political force they will.
    I previously suggested a long time back that we'd see a rise of Muslim Brotherhood style parties in places like Belgium, the UK and Germany once the numbers made it politically viable. You only have to look at the Erdogan supporters holding rallys in Germany to see that there is a political Islamic constituancy for it.

Right now there's a concentration on entryism instead. You have an islamist wing in the Swedish Green Party and the reason Labour in the UK are so reluctant to address anti-Semitism in their party is in large part because they fear losing support in labour controlled constituencies where the councils are largely controlled by Muslim candidates. Islam is now a political constituency Labour can't afford to offend whereas the Jewish community is a political irrelevance.

Can you imagine a European nation where an Islamist party holds the balance of power the way the DUP do in England?
    It will probably eventually happen.[/quhere
    As has already been shown on this thread its already happening in other European countries i fail to see why Ireland should be an exception Islam is the fastest growing religion in this country its only a matter of time before parties of a sharia nature start cropping up here wanting special privileges for themselves.

toshr wrote: »
    There's nothing stopping you moving down there and promote that is there?
    I have no interest in doing that its up to themselves to do it its their own country the same as this is our country I'm just sick of all the pandering to islam while we get absolutely nothing positive in return so why should it be encouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

Mutant z wrote: »

What reason is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

They've let it be known in other Countries that they don't care about their laws. They won't care about ours. Especially once they have the numbers on their side. That call will go for miles. Especially early in the morning [Rumor is that the first call to prayer will be at 5AM] I wonder how the virtue signallers will like being waken up at 5AM with them.

nope, not going to happen. planning laws won't allow for it. mind you i actually think the call can be a beautiful thing to hear. especially on an early summer morning as the sun rises.
    That will change as they gain more numbers.

it won't change regardless of numbers.
    You mean that piece of paper that the Govt trashed when they made us vote on the Lisbon Treaty again?

nope, we got a new deal when we rejected the treaty the first time and therefore had to vote again because the terms were different, there was no second vote because we gave the wrong answer, just good old bargaining and democracy.
    Perhaps Saudi should be encouraged to build Churches before Ireland starts to build Mosques tolerance is a 2 way street Islam has none.

nope that's not how this works, ireland is a progressive democracy whereas saudi is an oppressive theocracy. saudi not building churches is sad for the christians who may live there but correctly we don't treat others badly because other countries treat their people badly.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

What reason is that?
    Its world news that people follow seriously do you expect everyone to be living in a cave or something its perfectly naturally to want to know what is happening in the world especially when its something which could also affect us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

Its world news that people follow seriously do you expect everyone to be living in a cave or something its perfectly naturally to want to know what is happening in the world especially when its something which could also affect us.

This thread is world news? A load of people that haven't a notion what they're waffling on about isn't world news.

Its all take take take and give nothing back why should the fact that Ireland is a democracy and Saudi isn't matter you can't allow yourself to be bullied just because you live in a democracy respect has to be earned not just given to you and Islam in Ireland or indeed most of Europe hasn't earned that respect.

This thread is world news? A load of people that haven't a notion what they're waffling on about isn't world news.
    Who the hell are you to decide what we can or can't talk about no one is forcing you to do anything but i think most of us can decide for ourselves thank you very much.

• Advertisement

Its all take take take and give nothing back why should the fact that Ireland is a democracy and Saudi isn't matter you can't allow yourself to be bullied just because you live in a democracy respect has to be earned not just given to you and Islam in Ireland or indeed most of Europe hasn't earned that respect.

yeah. yeah. nope.
    muslims are working in this country right now. paying taxes. imagine that. giving something back. the only people who i see that are take take take are a small minority across all sections of society. in what way is ireland being bullied?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

yeah. yeah. nope.
    muslims are working in this country right now. paying taxes. imagine that. giving something back. the only people who i see that are take take take are a small minority across all sections of society. in what way is ireland being bullied?
    No its pandering there's places where references to Christmas are being discouraged for fear of offending muslims its this undermining of our heritage which i just can't stomach they are guests in our country why should we drop our own cultural heritage to suit them do you think muslims would do the same for us in their own countries not a chance in hell.

No its pandering there's places where references to Christmas are being discouraged for fear of offending muslims its this undermining of our heritage which i just can't stomach they are guests in our country why should we drop our own cultural heritage to suit them do you think muslims would do the same for us in their own countries not a chance in hell.

those places are discouraging references to christmas for their own agenda whatever that is . the irish did plenty to undermine and destroy our own heritage long before muslims came to ireland. many muslims now are not guests but actual born citizens. nobody is obligating us to drop our cultural heritage i know i'm certainly not going to do it.
    i couldn't care a less what muslims would do for me in "their" countries as i have no chance of ever visiting their countries and it's not relevant anyway as ireland is a democracy thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

WWE held a massive wrestling extravaganza in Friday night in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia called The Greatest Royal Rumble. They touted this as a massive breaking down of barriers.

However, no female talent was allowed to appear on the show “out of respect for local culture”. Literally the words used. The ironic thing is, WWE over the last few years have been pushing the ladies equally as much as the men and have dubbed it the Women’s Revolution. The women have been getting main event spots and it’s being celebrated and pushed hard on social media. Not last night though. In fact, the Sports Commission of Saudi Arabia last night apologised after WWE ran an ad during the show that showed women in the ring for a few seconds. They apologised for showing women in an immoral and unacceptable fashion and vowed never to show female wrestlers ever again on tv. Whether you give a sh*t about wrestling or not, that’s vile carry on. Substitute the word “women” for the words “black people” and it’s actually shocking.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/52062/Saudi-Arabia-General-Sports-Authority-Issues-Apology-For-WWE/

yup, saudi is a country that behaves dispickibly, especially toards women. yet the UN believe this country is fit to be on the women's human rights commission. you couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement