Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

It's not just KSA. The Emirates are despicable too. Women are treated like crap. I refuse to set foot there.

One thing I forgot to mention in this thread is that my sister is a consultant doctor. She has experienced Muslim doctors who have refused to shake her hand and subordinate Muslims who refuse to acknowledge her as their superior. Luckily, this behaviour is not tolerated in the Irish medical field and they are quickly brought to book. For the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Judeo Christian culture is what made the west the best.

Don't let this thing creep. The last time it did it took the Vatican 400 years to react and fight back.

Crusades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

toshr wrote: »
    There's nothing stopping you moving down there and promote that is there?

True. Unless you plan on keeping your hands/head intact. Not known for the auld tolerance down Saudi way... although they did allow women to start driving in some parts of it last year under supervision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah yea, the ould Jesus is good crack, conveniently ignoring, the highly oppressive side of religious thinking, where we re all sinners! Get out of it! It's also important to realise, there's actually no such thing as 'the best' of anything in life, as life is highly subjective and relative. The west hasn't been all that great either, showing what can only be described as ignorance, selfishness, arrogance and pure greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

Don't let this thing creep. The last time it did it took the Vatican 400 years to react and fight back.

Crusades.

The tuam babies would disagree with you there.

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

In regards to the call to prayer when the Muslim population gets to a large enough percentage things like the call to prayer and outside prayer are used to intimidate! Again this is quantifiable, it happens every single time, look at the problems all over Europe today with Muslims closing roads and praying outside, just pure intimidation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

gw80 wrote: »

I don't like the Catholic Church, but I dread to imagine how small Ireland population would be if it wasn't for their conservative stance on women's rights. Ireland's fertility rates were huge before the women's rights movement in the '60s, yet our population kept shrinking due to emigration. It wasn't until Sean Lemass' economic reforms to industrialise Ireland when our population stop shrinking.

A United Ireland would be a pipe dream if it wasn't for Catholics out-breeding Protestants up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Greyling wrote: »
    This thread is world news? A load of people that haven't a notion what they're waffling on about isn't world news.

And yet, here you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

gw80 wrote: »

Just as all the victims of the rape gangs will agree with the poster your replying to. We could go round in circles for hours playing tit for tat comments.So Do you think Islam is good for Ireland .

nope, not going to happen. planning laws won't allow for it. mind you i actually think the call can be a beautiful thing to hear. especially on an early summer morning as the sun rises.

Yes, It is quite beautiful. I've heard it in a variety of M.East/Asian countries. Very suitable to their foreign environments. I don't consider it suitable for Ireland, or most of Europe since the majority of the population is not Muslim.
    it won't change regardless of numbers.

Specifics. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It's also important to realise, there's actually no such thing as 'the best' of anything in life, as life is highly subjective and relative. The west hasn't been all that great either, showing what can only be described as ignorance, selfishness, arrogance and pure greed.
    Ah here we go with the usual moral/cultural equivalence nonsense and self doubting westerner stuff so popular these days, particularly among "progressives".

I hate to break it to you, but yes one can make objective judgements about cultures. EG by any metric a woman living in Ireland is better off than a woman living in Saudi Arabia. Or India for that matter. Or most of the continent of Africa. The average person is better off in the same list. To deny that would be idiocy or obstinance or a mix of both.

Ever wonder why the "not so great" West is where people are fighting, even dying to get into? Don't see many Westerners showing up to countries outside the West in large numbers looking to settle. Unless as aid workers. Throughout the developed world outside the West what cultural model is the most followed? Pretty much every single thing you use, the fashion you wear, every law that protects you, the rights you hold dear, the medicine that cures you, nearly every politic and philosophy you follow was invented, developed and created in the West. Hell the LCD/LED, the glass, the plastics, the chips, the battery, the electricity itself on your pad/phone/laptop that you write this on was invented in the West. So yes the West has become with some well dodgy detours along the way the objectively better culture pretty much across the board. Doesn't mean it's not in need of improvement and the self reflection that comes with that, but even there it has a longer history than most in trying to improve.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Good it’s their land that the schools are built on and when labour looked to change some schools to non denominational parents voted against it! Btw anyone notice all the Mosques starting to pop up around Ireland? New large mosque out near Blanchardstown, second mosque being built in Kilkenny, oh right your ok with that religon expanding here, i mean what could go wrong?
    They Catholic Church have no influence in government decisions if so we wouldn’t have gay marriage or having a referendum coming up on the 8th!

You think it's good that community facilities are being sold after being left in trust to the catholic church to be run for communities but you are terrified by the thought of a mosque being built. That's just pathetically transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Get out of it! It's also important to realise, there's actually no such thing as 'the best' of anything in life, as life is highly subjective and relative. The west hasn't been all that great either, showing what can only be described as ignorance, selfishness, arrogance and pure greed.

There's certainly "better".
    (Average/median whichever, in the West v. anywhere...)
    Nutrition
    Health
    Access to water
    Education
    Womens rights
    Human rights
    Security and welfare
    State support
    Disability services
    Anti poverty measures

Sure there are issues, but I'll take "the west" anyday over anywhere else.
    Get out of it is right!

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ah here we go with the usual moral/cultural equivalence nonsense and self doubting westerner stuff so popular these days, particularly among "progressives".

It's incredibly easy to be critical of your own culture. Without leaving the West for an extended period of time, I find that these people feel that they know Western culture so well, but really they have nothing to compare it to. They don't have firsthand experience of non-western cultures, except as a tourist or from secondary accounts like reading or other peoples opinions. But those limitations in knowledge won't stop them from making uninformed declarations about all cultures... Oh, they might get some things correct, but more from luck than anything else.

I used to think I knew Western culture quite well. I'd traveled throughout Europe, parts of the US, and Australia. I'd read about western history and culture all my life, so I thought I was rather clued in. However, after living in Russia, and Asia, my perception changed. Traveling through Africa with that changed perception forced me to reevaluate again, and again. To hear learn non-western people and media saw the west forced me to look at the West in a very different manner.

For me, the West is an incredible "civilisation". The standard of living in Western countries blows most other nations out of the water. Oh, you'll get similar in particular cities like Seoul, or Shanghai, but it's condensed into a city rather than a country, or continent. I could go on, and on about this topic but there's little point. As with many other cultures, westerners are convinced of their superiority in knowledge about culture. Ignorance isn't factored into that superiority... Still I really wish some of these progressives would live abroad for extended periods, and not in some secure compound or having translators/guides leading them to the "choice" spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Whataboutery whataboutery and even more whataboutery the usual deflecting from Islam can they give us a break please because its become tediously boring by this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Wish I could thank this post twice!
    Wibbs wrote: »

I hate to break it to you, but yes one can make objective judgements about cultures. EG by any metric a woman living in Ireland is better off than a woman living in Saudi Arabia. Or India for that matter. Or most of the continent of Africa. The average person is better off in the same list. To deny that would be idiocy or obstinance or a mix of both.

Ever wonder why the "not so great" West is where people are fighting, even dying to get into? Don't see many Westerners showing up to countries outside the West in large numbers looking to settle. Unless as aid workers. Throughout the developed world outside the West what cultural model is the most followed? Pretty much every single thing you use, the fashion you wear, every law that protects you, the rights you hold dear, the medicine that cures you, nearly every politic and philosophy you follow was invented, developed and created in the West. Hell the LCD/LED, the glass, the plastics, the chips, the battery, the electricity itself on your pad/phone/laptop that you write this on was invented in the West. So yes the West has become with some well dodgy detours along the way the objectively better culture pretty much across the board. Doesn't mean it's not in need of improvement and the self reflection that comes with that, but even there it has a longer history than most in trying to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

nope, not going to happen. planning laws won't allow for it.

Thanks to a certain Councillor they're finding ways around it by labeling it as a Community Centre instead of a religious centre [Since there will be a Cafe and Community Centre in there as well] They're willing to pay the Council around €300,000-500,000 for the land. The Council will no doubt want that money. I would to know where they're getting the money from. €300,000-500,000 to buy the land and approx €5,000,000 to build. I thought they were coming over with only the shirts on their backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Thanks to a certain Councillor they're finding ways around it by labeling it as a Community Centre instead of a religious centre [Since there will be a Cafe and Community Centre in there as well] They're willing to pay the Council around €300,000-500,000 for the land. The Council will no doubt want that money. I would to know where they're getting the money from. €300,000-500,000 to buy the land and approx €5,000,000 to build. I thought they were coming over with only the shirts on their backs.

I know that the Saudi petro dollar has been used to build mosques in Britain, the US and other countries. A Saudi oil sheikh would find that kind of money down the back of the sofa.

I know that the Saudi petro dollar has been used to build mosques in Britain, the US and other countries. A Saudi oil sheikh would find that kind of money down the back of the sofa.

The Imam here Kilkenny denies that,but its obviously true. Shows you what a scam this "refugee crisis" is. Saudi Arabi won't take any in, but they'll gladly give money to build mosques. Only the virtue signalers can't see this for the invasion that it actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For me, the West is an incredible "civilisation". The standard of living in Western countries blows most other nations out of the water. Oh, you'll get similar in particular cities like Seoul, or Shanghai, but it's condensed into a city rather than a country, or continent.
    And Seoul and Korea itself has been heavily influenced by the Americans after the Korean War. To a visiting alien Shanghai and cities like it would be seen as mostly "western". The modern(and a few bits of not so modern) architecture, fashion, technology, media looks more "western" than "local".
    Shows you what a scam this "refugee crisis" is. Saudi Arabi won't take any in, but they'll gladly give money to build mosques.
    That's been noted even by Saudi commentators themselves. A few of the religious types have questioned why they havent been taking in more of their refugee Muslim brothers and sisters. Cartoonists got in on the act too.

t0c4441_0ffb645a377f9f456faa1879464b6285.jpg

Their officials quickly quieted that stuff down.

168687_600.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The Imam here Kilkenny denies that,but its obviously true. Shows you what a scam this "refugee crisis" is. Saudi Arabi won't take any in, but they'll gladly give money to build mosques. Only the virtue signalers can't see this for the invasion that it actually is.

I'd suggest you drop that in the bin, along with your "white genocide" nonsense. There.s now 3 and a half million in turkey alone.
    https://data2.unhcr.org/en/situations/syria#_ga=2.24492602.1018811071.1525011530-1382945679.1525011530

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'd suggest you drop that in the bin, along with your "white genocide" nonsense. There.s now 3 and a half million in turkey alone.
    https://data2.unhcr.org/en/situations/syria#_ga=2.24492602.1018811071.1525011530-1382945679.1525011530

Sure Mr. Snopes is a reliable source. If Multiculturalism is so wonderful then why didn't they start on the 3rd World Countries to help bring them up? Why use our Countries as a testing lab?

Sure Mr. Snopes is a reliable source.

Address the issue at hand.

Sure Mr. Snopes is a reliable source. If Multiculturalism is so wonderful then why didn't they start on the 3rd World Countries to help bring them up? Why use our Countries as a testing lab?

...I have no idea what that refers to......

So what Country are you planning on running to when you get your precious diversity?

• Advertisement

...I have no idea what that refers to......

Sure you don't.:rolleyes:

So what Country are you planning on running to when you get your precious diversity?
    Sure you don't.:rolleyes:

Would you care to refer to the numbers provided in post 1326?

Would you care to refer to the numbers provided in post 1326?

gghju_1484224447_1484224456_800x420.jpg

[..............

Again - would you care to address the numbers linked in post 1326?

Again - would you care to address the numbers linked in post 1326?

Why should I when you previously posted from a biased source. You'd be crying if I posted something from Fox News.

• Advertisement

Why should I when you previously posted from a biased source. You'd be crying if I posted something from Fox News.

Location name Source Data date Population
    Turkey Government of Turkey, UNHCR 19 Apr 2018 63.5% 3,584,179
    Lebanon UNHCR 31 Mar 2018 17.6 991,165
    Jordan UNHCR 7 Apr 2018 11.7% 661,859
    Iraq UNHCR 31 Mar 2018 4.4% 248,382
    Egypt UNHCR 31 Mar 2018 2.3% 128,507
    Other (North Africa) UNHCR 15 Mar 2018 0.6% 33,545

Here are the figures from earlier. Could you address them in terms of your remark as to "what a scam this "refugee crisis" is.

Location name Source Data date Population
    Turkey Government of Turkey, UNHCR 19 Apr 2018 63.5% 3,584,179
    Lebanon UNHCR 31 Mar 2018 17.6 991,165
    Jordan UNHCR 7 Apr 2018 11.7% 661,859
    Iraq UNHCR 31 Mar 2018 4.4% 248,382
    Egypt UNHCR 31 Mar 2018 2.3% 128,507
    Other (North Africa) UNHCR 15 Mar 2018 0.6% 33,545

Here are the figures from earlier. Could you address them in terms of your remark as to "what a scam this "refugee crisis" is.

Well Mr. Fake News. it is a scam because they're not real refugees. They lost the right to that when passed through several safe zones to get here. They're Economic migrants aka Benefits shoppers.

Well Mr. Fake News. it is a scam because they're not real refugees.

You're saying that - for example - the 3.5 million Syrians in Turkey - are not real refugees? Please explain.
    They lost the right to that when passed through several safe zones to get here. They're Economic migrants aka Benefits shoppers.

You seem to be confusing your opinion with law and fact.

You're saying that - for example - the 3.5 million Syrians in Turkey - are not real refugees? Please explain.

To claim refugee status they have to go to there nearest safe zone. That's common knowledge. Except for virtue signalers like you

To claim refugee status they have to go to there nearest safe zone. That's common knowledge. Except for virtue signalers like you

No, they do not, as has been hashed out on this board in numerous discussions.

Would you care to address the 3.5 million syrians in Turkey alone - why are they there?

No, they do not, as has been hashed out on this board in numerous discussions.

Would you care to address the 3.5 million syrians in Turkey alone - why are they there?

So because some Syrians made it to Turkey we should ignore all the others that are coming over trying to claim Refugee status?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It’s not stopping the migrants flowing in from Turkey to Greece as this article states. EU should be helping Greece and Italy secure their borders and didn’t the EU pay Turkey to hold the migrants there.

https://twitter.com/v_of_europe/status/990612966692347904?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

He's too busy hysterically wetting his pants with the rest of the simpletons to explain anything.

He's too busy hysterically wetting his pants with the rest of the simpletons to explain anything.

As I said two posts above you. So should we ignore the ones coming from other Countries [The Navy was overglorified taxi at one point. Taking them from Libya to Europe] to claim refugee status just because some Syrians made it Turkey?

Speaking of wetting pants. I'm sure you and Mr. Fake News and Capt. Oblivious are checking airlines on where to go if they dare build a mosque where you live. The Virtue Signalling from you lot is laughable.

As I said two posts above you. So should we ignore the ones coming from other Countries [The Navy was overglorified taxi at one point. Taking them from Libya to Europe] to claim refugee status just because some Syrians made it Turkey?

Speaking of wetting pants. I'm sure you and Mr. Fake News and Capt. Oblivious are checking airlines on where to go if they dare build a mosque where you live. The Virtue Signalling from you lot is laughable.

Doesn't seem like you've been following the thread very well. I couldn't give a monkeys if they built a mosque near me. Did you confuse me for someone else?

• Advertisement

Ahhh, fake news, virtue signallers... Ahhh.

Cop yourself on. Have a look at house prices around Clonskeagh.

It’s not stopping the migrants flowing in from Turkey to Greece as this article states. EU should be helping Greece and Italy secure their borders and didn’t the EU pay Turkey to hold the migrants there.

https://twitter.com/v_of_europe/status/990612966692347904?s=21

They paid Turkey. And Erodgan keeps threatening to release them all into Europe if they don't give them more money.

The EU should be helping Greece and Italy secure their Borders,but for some reason Merkel and co. want them here.

Ahhh, fake news, virtue signallers... Ahhh.

Cop yourself on. Have a look at house prices around Clonskeagh.

Gee.. I wonder if the increase in population has anything to do with that. :rolleyes:

Doesn't seem like you've been following the thread very well. I couldn't give a monkeys if they built a mosque near me. Did you confuse me for someone else?

So you got your escape route all planned then. ;)

Gee.. I wonder if the increase in population has anything to do with that. :rolleyes:

Ahhh.... GEE.

Maybe for when you and the boys eventually put on the white pointy hats and take to the streets.

Can I ask what is this focus on him (or others not against Islamic immigration) leaving the country after Islamic influence becomes established?

Has there been an exodus of liberals from France, Germany, etc?

Ahhh.... GEE.

So you're complaining about the rent prices going up [and food prices has been going up too] but you still want to take in more people and only strain our economy even more. I don't think you thought this through.

Can I ask what is this focus on him (or others not against Islamic immigration) leaving the country after Islamic influence becomes established?

Has there been an exodus of liberals from France, Germany, etc?

Because its usually the biggest virtue signallers that want to run from the problem that they created.

• Advertisement

Maybe for when you and the boys eventually put on the white pointy hats and take to the streets.

A KKK reference. wow. I'm surprised. Its not like virtue signalers such as yourself having been using that when people don't goosestep to their narrative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement