Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

They conflate Islam with race.

Islam as a political ideology would have more in common with the Far Right.

Hitler for instance was an admirer.

It's a religion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

aidoh wrote: »
    It's a religion...

Its both isis goal is as much as about political dominance as it is about religious ideology which is the very essense of a sharia state.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Mutant z wrote: »
    Its both isis goal is as much as about political dominance as it is about religious ideology which is the very essense of a sharia state.

Fair enough, and after rereading Deftlefthand's post which I quoted I see that's what they were implying too and I misunderstood.

I'm no fan of any organised religion tbh and I do believe it's accurate to say Islam is, on average, more dangerous to Western values than any other current mainstream religion.

However it's also true to say that ISIS as a political / religious movement isn't the same as Islam.

I guess that's the conversation that's been brought up multiple times throughout this thread already though.

I think the likes of Reza Aslan and Sam Harris are correct in trying to 'reform' Islam globally to be more in line with modern values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

sjohn3454 wrote: »
    Oh ffs just reading the comments and see the convos deteriorate "Hitler was on the left" level of stupidity... sigh.

If Hitler was on the right the Modern Left would not be so in love with his ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    If Hitler was on the right the Modern Left would not be so in love with his ideology.

First of all, I'm pretty sure you're confusing ideology with policy. Second of all, I'm not aware of any left parties advocating policies or ideologies promoted by Hitler. So which ones are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Some people on this thread need to accept Allah into their hearts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Some people on this thread need to accept Allah into their hearts.

Looking at some of the replies they already have or will be doing soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ProudIRISHman

Annnnd threads like these are why I mainly use Reddit these days and probably its the same for other people too. There is a horrible element of boards.ie posters who turn every incident involving a minority or every thread talking about a minority into these toxic cesspools. I think the last straw for me was the Lidl JCB thread where it turned into a black hate thread.

Is it just me or does boarsd.ie seem to be full of racist and misogynist posters these days? Most of them cant spell or construct sentences but they are relentless nonetheless in threads like these.

Annnnd threads like these are why I mainly use Reddit these days and probably its the same for other people too. There is a horrible element of boards.ie posters who turn every incident involving a minority or every thread talking about a minority into these toxic cesspools. I think the last straw for me was the Lidl JCB thread where it turned into a black hate thread.

Is it just me or does boarsd.ie seem to be full of racist and misogynist posters these days? Most of them cant spell or construct sentences but they are relentless nonetheless in threads like these.

Have you been following the thread from the start or are you just jumping to your own conclusions calling people racists. By the way What is your answer to the opening post

• Advertisement

Have you been following the thread from the start or are you just jumping to your own conclusions calling people racists. By the way What is your answer to the opening post

There was a number of Catholic priests raping thousands of Irish children with the full knowledge of the catholic church. is Catholicism right for Ireland?

It is a stupid post and anyone who thinks otherwise is moronic, simple minded and obviously hates minorities because of their own shortcomings. Isn't it amazing how most racists tend not to be able to spell, are uneducated and unemployed? Im seeing a trend here.....Its not my fault im a failure its them bloodie fodeigners!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

There was a number of Catholic priests raping thousands of Irish children with the full knowledge of the catholic church. is Catholicism right for Ireland?

It is a stupid post and anyone who thinks otherwise is moronic, simple minded and obviously hates minorities because of their own shortcomings. Isn't it amazing how most racists tend not to be able to spell, are uneducated and unemployed? Im seeing a trend here.....Its not my fault im a failure its them bloodie fodeigners!

So you haven't been following the thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Sorry ProudIRISHman but if you think the only people that have a problem with islam in Ireland are uneducated, unempolyed racists then it is you that is the simple minded one.

What a load of crap. If you cant spell very well or unemployed your a racist..what a joke.

What a load of crap. If you cant spell very well or unemployed your a racist..what a joke.

Not the fizziest drink in the fridge are we? I never said that :p I said that racists tend to be unemployed and uneducated. Not that unemployed and uneducated tend to be racist.

You response to my post kind of proves my point :pac:

Not the fizziest drink in the fridge are we? I never said that :p I said that racists tend to be unemployed and uneducated. Not that unemployed and uneducated tend to be racist.

It should read your response not you response.having bother with your spelling. 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Not the fizziest drink in the fridge are we? I never said that :pI said that racists tend to be unemployed and uneducated. Not that unemployed and uneducated tend to be racist.

Do you have official collated survey figures to back up this assertion, or is it just a makey up notion that you pulled out of thin air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

thebull85 wrote: »
    https://extra.ie/2018/05/01/news/irish-news/garda-manhunt-limerick-assault

description of attacker not released to the public, i wonder why?

Worryingly, there does not appear to be any update on this case which means there could still a sex attacker at large in Limerick. The Gardaí have not issued any fresh public appeals too. It seems like they have completely ballsed this up and let him get away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Your punctuation and grammar are poor. What does that make you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sjohn3454

Good question. Id say no Catholicism is not right for Ireland if it had the same power in society that it had about 30yrs+ or so ago. Now we seem to not revere it as much or take it as seriously as before so in its current state its fine. The more we question Religion the better. Heres a question for you. Is you questioning whether "Catholicism is right for Ireland or not" racist? Also do you think instances of FGM and honor killings will increase/arise(as Islam increases) or not and if you do then is it ok to talk about that or is that racist ???

Just because you dont agree with the question doesnt mean the question is stupid, moronic or racist. Yes you will always get a few racist morons who will be involved in any conversation like this but Its that kind of "youre ALL racists coz I dont like your question" moronic attitude that gets society nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

So just because a country is slowly but certainly getting rid of one evil religion, another evil religion getting more influence is a good idea?
    Alrighty then.

The 2nd part of your post is showing you up though. No real arguments to deliver so lets go name-calling in the good old "if you dont agree with me you are stupid" category.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

1000maniacs gets a yellow card for pointing out grammar mistakes in a post that called us all uneducated racists.

Mods, what the f**k are yous at at all???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Islam like any other ideology should never be above scrutiny i dont for the life of me understand why its been elevated to the status of a race when its a belief system like Catholicism.

Islam like any other ideology should never be above scrutiny i dont for the life of me understand why its been elevated to the status of a race when its a belief system like Catholicism.

Because our Govts either want them to reek havoc in our Countries or are such cowards that they would rather bend over to appease them or don't care enough to solve them since they and their families are sheltered from this.

Yugoslavia and lebanon are the glaring warnings from recent history

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

If you dare put the head above the parapet you get accused of being (made up term) Islamophobia. The people who defend it are only eating themselves as it is that ideology which hates them more than any other ideology in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Given our recent positive referenda for same sex marriage being (rightly) allowed and what appears to be a resounding yes vote to abortion, Ireland as a nation is successfully prising itself away from the white knuckle grip that the catholic church has had on it for so long.
    By the same action, given that the Clonskeagh mosque was telling it's followers to vote No in both of those referenda, proves that the doctrine of Islam (sharia) is now more at odds with modern day Ireland.

451714.png

451715.png

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Given our recent positive referenda for same sex marriage being (rightly) allowed and what appears to be a resounding yes vote to abortion, Ireland as a nation is successfully prising itself away from the white knuckle grip that the catholic church has had on it for so long.
    By the same action, given that the Clonskeagh mosque was telling it's followers to vote No in both of those referenda, proves that the doctrine of Islam (sharia) is now more at odds with modern day Ireland.
    Delicious irony. I wonder how leftists will cope when they realize this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Yet many of the same people that abuse and mock Irish people who voted no in either of those referenda will give these guys a free pass.
    Hypocrisy is the defining feature of modern liberalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Taytoland wrote: »
    Delicious irony. I wonder how leftists will cope when they realize this.

Ignore it and go back to blaming RCC like they usually do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

That's a fine straw man you're building there lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

A link to an article on some of the people involved in the Rochdale grooming gangs.
    Far from 'radical Islamists'.
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/men-rochdale-grooming-tariq-jail-13035428

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

France have banned public showings on big screens of the world due to security concerns. Another in a long list of achievements cultural enrichment has brought to Europe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5790111/Big-screen-zones-banned-France-World-Cup-terrorist-fears.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Slowly but surely they are winning. Bag searches when you go into shopping centres, metal detectors in Museums, armed soldiers in Train stations, public gatherings curtailed, it has all become too normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Yep and all this "We're not scared crap"

No you ARE scared , you are getting a little bit more scared every single day - and you know it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Ban on public big screen events in France for the world cup.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Tight-controls-on-World-Cup-fan-zones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

No you ARE scared , you are getting a little bit more scared every single day - and you know it!

What is it about Islam that cuts the tongue out of the mouth of liberal countries?
    What is it about Islam that makes it a religion that’s immune from any critical comment when faith of almost every other origin — Christianity and Judaism in particular — is open slather for mockery and derision?
    What is it about Islam that makes people fear watching a World Cup football match in the open air?
    Oh it's that lethal violence threat, isn't it?

2 Scoops wrote: »
    France have banned public showings on big screens of the world due to security concerns. Another in a long list of achievements cultural enrichment has brought to Europe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5790111/Big-screen-zones-banned-France-World-Cup-terrorist-fears.html

Happening in England too. They're being warned not to fly the St. George [and I'd say its safe to say that the Union Jack is also off limits]

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6113591/world-cup-russia-st-george-flag-england-fans/

Got to love the Leftist Virtue Signalling. "We will not let them win." "We will not let them change who we are." Except that you are. Its easy to say stuff like that when you're miles away from it and surrounded by armed security 24/7.

I'm amazed it ain't happening here yet.

I'm going to Warsaw for a week in July. Maybe its time to look for an apartment over there.

Happening in England too. They're being warned not to fly the St. George [and I'd say its safe to say that the Union Jack is also off limits]

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6113591/world-cup-russia-st-george-flag-england-fans/

They're being warned not to fly it in Russia and it's nothing to do with Islam or terrorism, it's to do with escalating tensions between the two countries. Did you even read the article?

• Advertisement

They're being warned not to fly it in Russia and it's nothing to do with Islam or terrorism, it's to do with escalating tensions between the two countries. Did you even read the article?

LOL @ thinking it has nothing to do with Islam and terrorism and its all "MUH RUSSIA!!" You really are Capt. Oblivious.

LOL @ thinking it has nothing to do with Islam and terrorism and its all "MUH RUSSIA!!" You really are Capt. Oblivious.

Are you for real? It's in the article you posted.
    Mark Roberts, the deputy chief constable of South Yorkshire police, who is in charge of security for the England fans at the tournament, said there was “very strong nationalistic, patriotic sense running throughout society which is firmly, at least ostensibly, behind President [Vladimir Putin]”.
    He warned that while often fans may sing provocative songs about the war in Germany and dismiss it as merely “banter,” saying it’s just a laugh, in Russia it won’t be perceived that way.

You post a source and then dismiss it because you didn't bother your arse reading it beyond the title and now realise it doesn't say what you thought. Now you go on the offensive because you feel like an idiot.

Are you for real? It's in the article you posted.

You post a source and then dismiss it because you didn't bother your arse reading it beyond the title and now realise it doesn't say what you thought. Now you go on the offensive because you feel like an idiot.

While there might be some truth to the avoid a conflict with Russians, you'd have to be a fool to blindly dismiss that they don't want them flying the flag to avoid offended Muslims.

While there might be some truth to the avoid a conflict with Russians, you'd have to be a fool to blindly dismiss that they don't want them flying the flag to avoid offended Muslims.

In Russia? You think the UK police are asking British people in Russia to avoid flying their national flag to avoid offending Muslims? That's Alex Jones level nonsense.

Globalists blame everything on Russia now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

....in Russia?

• Advertisement

Taytoland wrote: »
    Globalists blame everything on Russia now.

An article saying not to fly flags in Russia because you might be attacked by Russians as a result of Russian nationalism. Hardly gonna blame the Spanish are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Outside of the middle ages; I don't think it's right for any place never mind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

451714.png

451715.png

What,s telling about the Clonskeagh mosque calling for a no vote is the non reaction from the left & repeal supporters in general. In the run up to the recent referendum over the last couple of months some church statues got vandalised link.

https://twitter.com/CroppyPiker/status/984781343921000448

Some repeal supporters posed for selfies inside churches & there was different memes posted online about Iona institute members.

https://twitter.com/CroppyPiker/status/984787922619641856

https://twitter.com/declanganley/status/991113352163282944

Not once was there any incidents of repeal supporters posing for selfies inside the Clonskeagh mosque, nor was there any memes posted online of Clonskeagh mosque members mocking them for their stance in calling for a no vote . There is a double standard at play with many on the left that,s ok to poke fun & ridicule the church but not ok to do likewise with Islam.

Not once was there any incidents of repeal supporters posing for selfies inside the Clonskeagh mosque, nor was there any memes posted online of Clonskeagh mosque members mocking them for their stance in calling for a no vote . There is a double standard at play with many on the left that,s ok to poke fun & ridicule the church but not ok to do likewise with Islam.

Women don't go into mosques.
    & I believe the reason the 'ridicule ' for the Catholic Church is because they were in charge here for so long.
    The Catholic Church ran the country & our constitution is full of our own churches ideas.
    Not much reason to ridicule the Islamic church when they were never in the position of telling Irish society what to do. & also, probably very few of their members were registered to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Exactly.the double standards of the progressives is sickening. Islam and Muslims got a.free pass even though they were also pro life and anti abortion.
    They turned a blind eye on that religon.
    What,s telling about the Clonskeagh mosque calling for a no vote is the non reaction from the left & repeal supporters in general. In the run up to the recent referendum over the last couple of months some church statues got vandalised link.

https://twitter.com/CroppyPiker/status/984781343921000448

Some repeal supporters posed for selfies inside churches & there was different memes posted online about Iona institute members.

https://twitter.com/CroppyPiker/status/984787922619641856

https://twitter.com/declanganley/status/991113352163282944

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement