Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Would it be possible to add a poll to this thread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

weisses wrote: »
    Why would whe have a problem in the Future ?

Do you think Muslims will dictate if you can or cannot have a pork chop here in Ireland?

Sure why wouldn’t they if they ever were a majority. That’s the way democracy works.

Even without laws there could be significant changes to what is sold in shops. Happens with alcohol and other foods in predominately Muslim areas in Britain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

bubblypop wrote: »
    Taytoland wrote: »
    I disagree with it. But Buddhists aren't running around Europe bombing us, stabbing us, running over us with trucks, going on suicide missions just to carry out these acts alone. The Manchester bombing alone was an absolute outrage and to expect people in Britain or Ireland to just forget about such actions or not comment on the religion which inspires them to do it, then I don't know what to tell those people. It's perfectly rational for people to be angry, upset, annoyed and skeptical of Islam.

It's not that long since the IRA bombed Manchester, & no it's not whataboutery, the terrorists didn't speak for all Irish people.
    Neither do the terrorists of Islamic faith speak for all Muslims.
    No one said they did speak for all Muslims but the truth is Islam plays a part in inspiring these suicidal lunatics all over Europe who are murdering people. It's just a fact. Deny it all you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

+1 for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

weisses wrote: »
    Incredibly myopic way of thinking; we don't have an issue now, therefore we'll never have an issue in the future.

Why would whe have a problem in the Future ?

Do you think Muslims will dictate if you can or cannot have a pork chop here in Ireland ?

All depends on who you view as the greater authority on the English language;
    The Oxford English, Collins, and Cambridge dictionaries, ... or the Huffington Post.

I could post different sources but I decided to use a simple cartoon for you

http://www.robot-hugs.com/definition/
    Absolutely they would they are already dictating to allow sharia law into the country why not everything else. Nothing good ever comes when you have a large population of muslims just look at Islamic majority countries for proof of it the sad thing Europe is well on its way to create carbon copies of it if it continues down the path its currently taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Always found it amazing the way the LGBT community gets behind Islam :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I don't think the real LGBT community does, just those looking for power using whatever the moral outrage of the day entails.

Sure the Women's march in the US attracted millions and they were being led by a known terrorist, a murderer and Linda Sarsour who has openly called for Sharia law in the US whilst trying on Hijab's and showing everyone how tolerant they are. Logic doesn't resonate with these people.

In fairness to Trump he got millions more obese Women out walking in his first day in office than Michelle Obama managed in eight years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Incredibly myopic way of thinking; we don't have an issue now, therefore we'll never have an issue in the future.

All depends on who you view as the greater authority on the English language;
    The Oxford English, Collins, and Cambridge dictionaries, ... or the Huffington Post.

How about the UN's International Convention on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination which is signed by 179 parties? It describes racial discrimination as

any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Is Scientology a race too?

Hard to see how it would fit into the definition.

• Advertisement

Hard to see how it would fit into the definition.

You're kind of missing the core word, Religion.

Why is it that Sikhism for example in the UK doesn't attract such scrutiny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

How about the UN's International Convention on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination which is signed by 179 parties? It describes racial discrimination as

The UN is both fallable and biased, the OED is not.

You're kind of missing the core word, Religion.

Yes it's an interesting one. Some people argue it comes under ethnicity as shared religious belief tends to be a defining characteristic of them. But the fact is you cannot ban someone based on their religion because there is no definitive test for religious belief. So the only way to do it is by something like nationality, which brings it under the defintion.

Religion was going to be specifically included in the resolution but it was the Arab nations who pushed for it to be given a separate declaration

Why is it that Sikhism for example in the UK doesn't attract such scrutiny?

There are specific exemptions in English law for Sikhs, the kind of exemptions that I'd bet you'd wretch at if they were introduced for Muslims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

There are specific exemptions in English law for Sikhs, the kind of exemptions that I'd bet you'd wretch at if they were introduced for Muslims.

Indeed.

they don't have to wear helmets in roles requiring them.

But then they don't get a blind eye to f*ck hundreds of children over the years.

so.... your still coming out on top there in fairness

What about Hinduism?

You're clutching at straws man, it's really quite pathetic in my eyes but each to their own.

Indeed.

they don't have to wear helmets in roles requiring them.

But then they don't get a blind eye to f*ck hundreds of children over the years.

so.... your still coming out on top there in fairness

Hundreds :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Are you referencing their right to carry/wear Kirpans? I fully support their right to do so, Sikhs throughout Europe and North America have proven themselves as incredibly peaceful, tolerant, and productive members of their respective communities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Yes it's an interesting one. Some people argue it comes under ethnicity as shared religious belief tends to be a defining characteristic of them. But the fact is you cannot ban someone based on their religion because there is no definitive test for religious belief.

I think the Chinese Communist party would have a word with you about that.
    Religion was going to be specifically included in the resolution but it was the Arab nations who pushed for it to be given a separate declaration

Certain Arab nations, presumably, as many have typically been ruled by militaristic governments who have, besides some lip service, been vehemently secular. One of the reasons why Assad is the best bet for Syria, going forward.

What about Hinduism?

You're clutching at straws man, it's really quite pathetic in my eyes but each to their own.

You asked me about them and I answered. How is that clutching at straws? What point are you trying to make. Hindus have faced massive discrimination in the UK.

Are you referencing their right to carry/wear Kirpans? I fully support their right to do so, Sikhs throughout Europe and North America have proven themselves as incredibly peaceful, tolerant, and productive members of their respective communities.

It does not surprise me that you have no issue with religious discrimination.

I think the Chinese Communist party would have a word with you about that.

Known for their tolerance they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Brae100 wrote: »

There’ll be someone along in a minute to tell you that we are only getting one side of the story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

There’ll be someone along in a minute to tell you that we are only getting one side of the story.

Tbf noone likes cyclists :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hopefully there is cctv to show who these men are and they can be taken in for questioning by the guards and a file sent to the DPP

What kind of poll would you like to see?

Mutant z wrote: »
    Absolutely they would they are already dictating to allow sharia law into the country why not everything else. Nothing good ever comes when you have a large population of muslims just look at Islamic majority countries for proof of it the sad thing Europe is well on its way to create carbon copies of it if it continues down the path its currently taking.

I live in a majority Muslim country. There are none of the issues you seem to think come with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Hopefully there is cctv to show who these men are and they can be taken in for questioning by the guards and a file sent to the DPP

Shayk Umar Al-Qadri from the Blanch Mosque cleared up some misinformation about the incident. He's a moderate Muslim who represents a version of Islam that most us would have no problem with. The incident happened outside the separate, nearby Shuhada centre.

Check out @DrUmarAlQadri’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/DrUmarAlQadri/status/1009099645371469829?s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

There we go another pig stupid comment from a snowf***e who hasn't the first clue about the topic. Yes women enter mosques.

There is a famous saying. "When you have no knowledge of the issue, shut the f**k up."

Words you should live by ;-)

Some mosques in the U.K. do not allow women.
    Most mosques, women are to enter through a side door, Clonskeagh included.
    Women are not allowed pray amongst the men in the main prayer hall, they must be at the back, on a balcony area or else they pray in a seperate area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

I live in a majority Muslim country. There are none of the issues you seem to think come with it?

Muslim majority countries have fallen back at a rate off knots compared to Western countries. Their archaic adherence to an antiquitated book is holding them back.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Some mosques in the U.K. do not allow women.
    Most mosques, women are to enter through a side door, Clonskeagh included.
    Women are not allowed pray amongst the men in the main prayer hall, they must be at the back, on a balcony area or else they pray in a seperate area.

Clonskeagh isn't in the uk?

Muslim majority countries have fallen back at a rate off knots compared to Western countries. Their archaic adherence to an antiquitated book is holding them back.

And yet, there are none of the issues you talk about here?

Blaas4life wrote: »

So?
    Women don't go to prayer
    Women don't go to burials
    What's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And yet, there are none of the issues you talk about here?

When did Ireland become a Muslim majority country?

So?
    Women don't go to prayer
    Women don't go to burials
    What's the problem?

I dislike the presumption people can pass off parts of ireland as bring in the uk??

Don't really cares about the religious sh1te.... (it's not real,but shush )

o1s1n wrote: »
    When did Ireland become a Muslim majority country?

I don't live in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You don't say :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

As per always, a Wikipedia page is worth both a goose and a gander.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    As per always, a Wikipedia page is worth both a goose and a gander.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism

Wikipedia is absolutely useless for any contentious subject matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Absolute scum of the highest order.
    Their attitudes towards women is not welcome in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Poster never said or even inferred that Clonskeagh was in U.K.

Birmingham?
    Paris?
    London?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

ELM327 wrote: »
    Birmingham?
    Paris?
    London?

None of those cities are majority Muslim but I'm sure you already knew this :rolleyes:

None of those cities are majority Muslim but I'm sure you already knew this :rolleyes:

I'm sure you were aware of the point that was being made. Inshallah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm sure you were aware of the point that was being made. Inshallah.

What point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

If Social Democrats start to wake up,you know you have a problem

https://theoldcontinent.eu/denmark-social-democrats-immigration/

Piece is based on an item that was on the Dutch state tv NOS in march. Clip i nthe article is a mix of Dutch, Danish and English (subtitled).
    Most of the interviews with the Danish politicians are in English

Denmark, in the early 90's had 1% non-western immigrants. That is now up to 8% already. that is how fast it can go in a country with no colonial links to any Islamic country whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

inforfun wrote: »
    If Social Democrats start to wake up,you know you have a problem

https://theoldcontinent.eu/denmark-social-democrats-immigration/

Piece is based on an item that was on the Dutch state tv NOS in march. Clip i nthe article is a mix of Dutch, Danish and English (subtitled).
    Most of the interviews with the Danish politicians are in English

Denmark, in the early 90's had 1% non-western immigrants. That is now up to 8% already. that is how fast it can go in a country with no colonial links to any Islamic country whatsoever.

You could see that difference from when I visited Denmark in 2008 and then last winter.

I don't think the real LGBT community does, just those looking for power using whatever the moral outrage of the day entails.

Sure the Women's march in the US attracted millions and they were being led by a known terrorist, a murderer and Linda Sarsour who has openly called for Sharia law in the US whilst trying on Hijab's and showing everyone how tolerant they are. Logic doesn't resonate with these people.

In fairness to Trump he got millions more obese Women out walking in his first day in office than Michelle Obama managed in eight years.

:D:D Take a bow sir !!

• Advertisement

What kind of poll would you like to see?

Maybe exactly what the thread title says :

Is Islam right for Ireland ? - Yes/No ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Sorry mate, your neo feudalism isn’t going to play.

Something is going to play and it ain`t gonna be pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

So word going round in Kilkenny now is that they may withdraw their application for the mosque on the Hebron Industrial estate [overlooking St. Kieran's Cemetery, O'Loughlin Gaels GAA club and Nowlan Park]claiming the builders were being "creased" by the developers. In reality it was because the Council had 18 strict questions that they wanted answered [mostly in regards to finance]

Hopefully this starts a trend of County Councils demanding to know where these "poor and destitute" people are getting the money to build mosques. The Dail should ban all Saudi funding immediately.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    So word going round in Kilkenny now is that they may withdraw their application for the mosque on the Hebron Industrial estate [overlooking St. Kieran's Cemetery, O'Loughlin Gaels GAA club and Nowlan Park]claiming the builders were being "creased" by the developers. In reality it was because the Council had 18 strict questions that they wanted answered [mostly in regards to finance]

Hopefully this starts a trend of County Councils demanding to know where these "poor and destitute" people are getting the money to build mosques. The Dail should ban all Saudi funding immediately.

Is there a source for this we can have a look at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Is there a source for this we can have a look at?

The Kilkenny Journal and Eugene McGuinness [who is looking to run for County Council next year.

https://www.facebook.com/KilkennyJournal/posts/1703449069722426?comment_id=1703809089686424&notif_id=1529989836519971&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement