Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Some mosques in the U.K. do not allow women.
    Most mosques, women are to enter through a side door, Clonskeagh included.
    Women are not allowed pray amongst the men in the main prayer hall, they must be at the back, on a balcony area or else they pray in a seperate area.

Are they in the mosque? I didn't say what door they use or where they stand, ARE THEY IN THE MOSQUE???????????

Yes?

(also, do you not know how to use spell checker?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Are they in the mosque? I didn't say what door they use or where they stand, ARE THEY IN THE MOSQUE???????????

Yes?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35666450

No they are not allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Diversity for Hire

I don't need Islam to culturally enrich my country. If I want to experience diversity I'll go the local Chinese, that's enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If I want to experience diversity I'll go the local Chinese, that's enough for me.

I think the Ming Dynasty were famed for their love of chicken balls, spice bags and 3 in 1's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

1 mosque? Saudi let women drive for the first time a few days ago, would it be fair to say women were not allowed to drive anywhere in the world up to this week? After all there was 1 nation where they couldn't. See how stupid your example is?

The existence of mosques like this are an example of the hate muslim men have for all women but in islam women can enter a mosque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

JohnMc1 wrote: »

What’s this craic about running some sort of butcher /abbatoir business in the building along with the mosque itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

What’s this craic about running some sort of butcher /abbatoir business in the building along with the mosque itself

The photo doesn't do it justice. Its a huge plot of land. It goes up a hill to where the local Aldi's is and then it stretches behind the Animal Veterinary Hospital and comes out between the hospital and tire garage. I don't know how much of the land they want to buy [rumors are the are going to pay $350-$500K for it so it could be the whole thing] The plans included a cafe and halal butchers, islamic school and an apartment complex for 2,000 and the Mosque at the top of the Hill next to Aldi's with 70ft Minarets [they'll cast a huge shadow over the cemetery and most of the town]Sounds like they want their own community in one fell swoop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

The photo doesn't do it justice. Its a huge plot of land. It goes up a hill to where the local Aldi's is and then it stretches behind the Animal Veterinary Hospital and comes out between the hospital and tire garage. I don't know how much of the land they want to buy [rumors are the are going to pay $350-$500K for it so it could be the whole thing] The plans included a cafe and halal butchers, islamic school and an apartment complex for 2,000 and the Mosque at the top of the Hill next to Aldi's with 70ft Minarets [they'll cast a huge shadow over the cemetery and most of the town]Sounds like they want their own community in one fell swoop.

Id hate to live anywhere near that, thank fook i dont.

thebull85 wrote: »
    Id hate to live anywhere near that, thank fook i dont.

Its definitely going to be a nightmare. My Dad is buried in the cemetery across the road from the proposed site. There won't be a bit of peace in there since the plan to hold the call to prayers during the times where burials normally take place and during the time the annual cemetery mass takes place.

Might be a good time to start looking to move.

1 mosque? Saudi let women drive for the first time a few days ago, would it be fair to say women were not allowed to drive anywhere in the world up to this week? After all there was 1 nation where they couldn't. See how stupid your example is?

The existence of mosques like this are an example of the hate muslim men have for all women but in islam women can enter a mosque.

The mosque in question is in an EU nation, and our nearest neighbour, not Saudi. The poster you replied to had said there were “some” Male only Mosque. You went on a CAPS BINGE about women being allowed use the back door to enter.

You’ve been proven wrong. Take it on the chin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That's highly unusual. Generally women are allowed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think the issue I have with Islam is that we are only starting to shake off the clutches of the Catholic Church and I don't particularly want another group of pious eegits trying to influence our laws or state. I hope that our status as a secular state is cemented in the coming years, so religion can't affect our schools or hospitals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Interesting interview here with Cllr Brian Murphy, Niall Boylan starting to wake up it seems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Still, it might be helpful to at least talk about these issues without being labelled a racist or somesuch.:rolleyes:

We should also discuss the jews.

Wha?

No religion in political life.
    Take individuals as you find them.

Iraqi twin brothers went on trial Tuesday in Finland over their alleged role in a 2014 massacre of up to 1,700 unarmed recruits by the Islamic State group in Iraq.

The 24-year-old brothers, who came to Finland as asylum seekers in September 2015 and were arrested a few months later, have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
    One of the two brothers is believed to appear in a propaganda video later released by the Islamic State group (IS), shooting dead at least 11 prisoners who had been forced to lay down in a hole on the ground for execution.

The twins look so much alike that the prosecutor has been unable to identify which of the two may appear in the video, opting instead to charge them both for an unspecified number of murders.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/finland-tries-twins-over-massacre-iraq-183009545.html

Two twins suspected of participation in a notorious massacre in Tikrit, Iraq in 2014 have been freed by a court in Tampere, Finland after a complicated, four month trial.
    https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/iraqi_twins_freed_after_tampere_isis_terror_trial/9630142

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Speicher_massacre

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

They are allowed to drive with the permision of their Men and only during certain times.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Islam is fundamentally incompatible with the secular way of life in the West. Fundamentally so. Ireland is releasing itself from the grip of Catholic Church theocracy, do we want to be replaced by a harsher, more violent one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Ireland's first "no go" area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think the issue I have with Islam is that we are only starting to shake off the clutches of the Catholic Church and I don't particularly want another group of pious eegits trying to influence our laws or state. I hope that our status as a secular state is cemented in the coming years, so religion can't affect our schools or hospitals.

I wouldn't focus your unease solely on Islam.

There's been a phenomenal rise in the number of Evangelical & Pentacostal churches popping up - often in incongruous spots like industrial estates, serving Nigerian & Brazilian congregations in particular. Their brand of old time religion makes Catholicism seem mighty progressive by comparison & you can be sure they'll increasingly seek to have those views reflected in social policy.

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I wouldn't focus your unease solely on Islam.

There's been a phenomenal rise in the number of Evangelical & Pentacostal churches popping up - often in incongruous spots like industrial estates, serving Nigerian & Brazilian congregations in particular. Their brand of old time religion makes Catholicism seem mighty progressive by comparison & you can be sure they'll increasingly seek to have those views reflected in social policy.

When was the last Evangelical or Pentecostal massacre in Europe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

When was the last Evangelical or Pentecostal massacre in Europe??

The poster I quoted was talking specifically about the influence religion & the religious can have on social policy - any security issue one might have with Islam is moot in that context.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Ireland's first "no go" area?

Definitely will be if it goes through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Definitely will be if it goes through.

Are you from Ireland yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Islam is fundamentally incompatible with the secular way of life in the West. Fundamentally so. Ireland is releasing itself from the grip of Catholic Church theocracy, do we want to be replaced by a harsher, more violent one?

This is just raw unadulterated common sense.

I was listening to a UK radio talk show last night and the presenter is a multicultural fanatic. He would categorize your opinion JK as extremist anti-muslim.

I don't know what it is about some ppl who are otherwise completely rational where when it comes to multiculturalism they take leave of their senses. He happens to have Jewish heritage so that might account for his brain seizure on the issue

https://twitter.com/MatthewStadlen/status/1012840631344029697.

Are you from Ireland yourself?

I was born in NY, parents are from Callan, Kilkenny and I've been living in Kilkenny since 2005. Does it really matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Yes?

Hysterical much :pac:
    Still doesn't change the truth of the misogynist attitude amongst most Muslim men towards women.
    And big swinging mickey, they have Just allowed women to drive on their own, big whoopy do da, it's about time.
    Maybe when they change some of their other attitudes towards human rights and get with the 21st century I might join in the applause.

You do realise that pointing out someone's minor spelling error during a discussion makes you look like you know you are loosing your argument and comes across as rather pathetic.

I was born in NY, parents are from Callan, Kilkenny and I've been living in Kilkenny since 2005. Does it really matter?

So you've immigrated over here and now telling us we are going to have no go zone's. Kinda funny. Would you not feel safer back America?.

So you've immigrated over here and now telling us we are going to have no go zone's. Kinda funny. Would you not feel safer back America?.

So you're whole idea of delegitimizing my posts is the "You weren't born so you don't have a right to an opinion"? That's sad.

Well Sweden has no-go zones, Germany has them, France has them, UK has them. Its blind arrogance or willful ignorance to think it won't happen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

What do you class as a no go area? I mean, we've places where Gardaí have to go in armed, places where Gardaí have been run over, places where Gardaí are regularly rammed and attacked. What do you see this Mosque bringing that will make it the "first no go area"?

So you're whole idea of delegitimizing my posts is the "You weren't born so you don't have a right to an opinion"? That's sad.

Well Sweden has no-go zones, Germany has them, France has them, UK has them. Its blind arrogance or willful ignorance to think it won't happen in Ireland.

Your coming to my country and telling me and us how we should live. Who we let in.Who we don't. Telling us our referendums are part of muslim conspiracy. If it goes over your head, I can't help you

Your theory of abortion being a guise for muslim domination was never backed up. Not that you where ever going to back that up, but please give a detailed account of all these no go areas.

• Advertisement

What do you class as a no go area? I mean, we've places where Gardaí have to go in armed, places where Gardaí have been run over, places where Gardaí are regularly rammed and attacked. What do you see this Mosque bringing that will make it the "first no go area"?

No-Go Zones are areas where Sharia law is enforced [aka Women can't be out alone after a certain time,etc] If the whole plan goes through [mosque,apartment complex,etc] then its a safe bet that they'll want to start enforcing sharia law in the area.

Your coming to my country and telling me and us how we should live. Who we let in.Who we don't. Telling us our referendums are part of muslim conspiracy. If it goes over your head, I can't help you

Your theory of abortion being a guise for muslim domination was never backed up. Not that you where ever going to back that up, but please give a detailed account of all these no go areas.

Your posts reek of willful ignorance.

Your posts reek of willful ignorance.

That's it?. So nothing again. Fair enough.

And big swinging mickey, they have Just allowed women to drive on their own, big whoopy do da, it's about time.
    Maybe when they change some of their other attitudes towards human rights and get with the 21st century I might join in the applause.

You do realise that is one country yes? Islam doesn't stop women driving, Saudi did.

No-Go Zones are areas where Sharia law is enforced [aka Women can't be out alone after a certain time,etc] If the whole plan goes through [mosque,apartment complex,etc] then its a safe bet that they'll want to start enforcing sharia law in the area.

And you think that Sharia law is going to take over from the laws of the land?
    Really?

bubblypop wrote: »
    You do realise that is one country yes? Islam doesn't stop women driving, Saudi did.

Of course I do, my point was a reply in relation to Saudi.
    What is slowly changing the wheels of thought in Saudi is their younger generation who are becoming more aware of the liberal western ways, particularly those travelling for education.

bubblypop wrote: »
    And you think that Sharia law is going to take over from the laws of the land?
    Really?

It's Project Fear. Let the Muslims in and they'll beat you til your woman covers up. They're living in a dystopian fantasy world. They'll pick out examples of Muslims doing bad things around Europe and act like it's the inevitable outcome for everyone.

Of course I do, my point was a reply in relation to Saudi.
    What is slowly changing the wheels of thought in Saudi is their younger generation who are becoming more aware of the liberal western ways, particularly those travelling for education.

A great reason to encourage immigration to Europe. We set a fine example for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Denmark implementing new laws to force integration

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/world/europe/denmark-immigrant-ghettos.html

"Starting at the age of 1, “ghetto children” must be separated from their families for at least 25 hours a week, not including nap time, for mandatory instruction in “Danish values,” including the traditions of Christmas and Easter, and Danish language. Noncompliance could result in a stoppage of welfare payments..

Denmark’s government is introducing a new set of laws to regulate life in 25 low-income and heavily Muslim enclaves, saying that if families there do not willingly merge into the country’s mainstream, they should be compelled."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

JupiterKid wrote: »

That's it in a nutshell.

I genuinely don't understand how people who've grown up in Ireland in the last 20-40 years can be advocating for a religion and system of law that is completely at odds with our way of life.

It's even more ironic that the biggest advocates for this idea are those whose lifestyles would be among the first to be affected if they actually get what they want.

I can only assume (as I've said on another thread) that it's really about virtue-signalling and backslapping from similarly-minded people that's driving them - something that seems to be a genuine NEED for some, as there is simply no rational logic or reason to the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

2 Scoops wrote: »

"Starting at the age of 1, “ghetto children” must be separated from their families for at least 25 hours a week, not including nap time, for mandatory instruction in “Danish values,” including the traditions of Christmas and Easter, and Danish language. Noncompliance could result in a stoppage of welfare payments..

Denmark’s government is introducing a new set of laws to regulate life in 25 low-income and heavily Muslim enclaves, saying that if families there do not willingly merge into the country’s mainstream, they should be compelled."

That's a very revealing article. Denmark would traditionally have been seen as a very liberal and progressive society have seemingly had enough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Rightly so.

Can't see them holding up to any kind of legal challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Regardless, it is interesting that a progressive society have deemed it necessary to take action. There's obviously a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Brae100 wrote: »

Regardless, it is interesting that a progressive society have deemed it necessary to take action. There's obviously a problem.
    A blind man and his blind dog could see a problem with this. It's not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

So you'd prefer them not to integrate? What's your end game, I'm curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

A great reason to encourage immigration to Europe. We set a fine example for the most part.

Because it's gone so well for Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, The UK?

Name one positive attribute mass immigration from Muslim nations has brought to the everyday European man woman or child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It's Project Fear. Let the Muslims in and they'll beat you til your woman covers up. They're living in a dystopian fantasy world. They'll pick out examples of Muslims doing bad things around Europe and act like it's the inevitable outcome for everyone.

How incredibly naive ...

Typical, you are against it ...

Why would you be against proper integration and learning of western values ???

So you'd prefer them not to integrate? What's your end game, I'm curious.

I'm sorry to say it, but I am convinced these "liberals" that support this are mentally ill ...

• Advertisement

They are obviously very fed up with immigrants not wanting to integrate into the cultural norms of their country.
    Denmark has always had very specific criteria for anyone who wants to come to settle down and it makes for interesting reading.

Citizenship:
    How to get the Danish nationality

Nationality by naturalization
    If you want to become a Danish citizen by naturalization, you will have to go through a complicated application process and fulfil a number of conditions. In order to apply for Danish nationality, you must have lived in Denmark for a certain number of years and have a permanent residence permit. If you do not have a permanent residence permit, you should apply for one at the Danish Immigration Service.

In most cases you will need to have lived in Denmark continuously for a minimum of 9 years to apply for citizenship. If you have refugee status in Denmark, you only need to have lived in Denmark for 8 years continuously.
    [...]
    Factors such as imprisonment will prevent you from being listed in a naturalisation bill. The same applies if you have overdue debt to public authorities.
    You must also prove that you are able to support yourself, meaning you do not, and must not have, received any public benefits within the past year. You must also have been self-supportive for 4 years and 6 months out of the last 5 years before your application. State education grants and loans, anticipatory pensions or old-age pensions will not prevent you from obtaining Danish nationality.
    You must prove your Danish skills by providing an examination certificate, as well as passing a citizenship test. The citizenship test will prove you have sufficient knowledge of Danish society, culture and history and you will be presented with a certificate if you pass.
    You will also need to sign a declaration in which you pledge your allegiance and loyalty to Denmark and the Danish society, declare your willingness to observe Danish legislation and respect fundamental Danish principles of law. You will also have to disclose your criminal record in the form of a solemn declaration, whether committed in Denmark or abroad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement