Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Sure a hijab is a bit like a Liverpool jersey...

I dont give a fcuk what way people dress. I expect others to not give a fcuk what way i dress. I've an issue though with an ideology that demands girls cover themselves to vary degree irrespective of what the girls want, based on b011ox. And other aspects of that ideology.

I'm not aware of any honour beatings for wearing the wrong trousers or t-shirt.

You seem to think these girls now that they are safe in Ireland can shrug off their hijab and dress however they wish - but sure wouldnt it be worse for them in Kipistan
    Bless

Yes I have an issue with such an ideology too. And yes I do think they are better off here than in a Muslim country. What exactly are you arguing with me over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Even if that was true, I'd prefer that over a conversation with people like you who'll lie over and over just to suit your viewpoint and snidely thank posts thinking it proves you right. I'm still waiting for your proof that chatham house are a "right wing" outfit.

Where you rebanned from the politics forum?..i answered the Chatham thing already. Maybe not to your liking.

I can thank whatever posts I like hank. You really shouldn't get agitated about that. Not something you can control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Where you rebanned from the politics forum?..i answered the Chatham thing already. Maybe not to your liking.

I can thank whatever posts I like hank. You really shouldn't get agitated about that. Not something you can control.

You said they were a right wing outfit literally 2 minutes after I made my post just to dismiss and discredit the poll. You lied because you're lazy and in that forum you don't have to defend what you say because everyone will agree with you regardless. I'm not banned, either way I don't care.

2 Scoops wrote: »
    You said they were a right wing outfit literally 2 minutes after I made my post just to dismiss and discredit the poll. You lied because you're lazy and in that forum you don't have to defend what you say because everyone will agree with you regardless. I'm not banned, either way I don't care.

I'm lazy?. You continually posted fake news and dishonest content. Made no effort to check your sources. That's on you and no one else.

Anyway I didn't lie. I corrected my mistake. I gave logical reasoning to why I disbelieved your usual drivel.

You can cry all you want about people being mean by reporting and talking about the joke of a human trump is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

JohnMc1 wrote: »

Eh The Kilkenny Journal is written by a known extreme far right racist neo nazi. Sorry but that isnt a serious source at sll.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Yes I have an issue with such an ideology too. And yes I do think they are better off here than in a Muslim country. What exactly are you arguing with me over?

Statements like this, that are so removed from reality for these girls:
    Perhaps if she was still in Palestine and the anti immigrants had their way. As she is in Ireland she will be free to do as she pleases when she hits 18, probably sooner than that.

Yea, maybe they might/should have a better life in Ireland. I hope they do.

Great we both condemn aspects of Islam so, such as forced hijab.

Statements like this, that are so removed from reality for these girls:

Yea, maybe they might/should have a better life in Ireland. I hope they do.

Great we both condemn aspects of Islam so, such as forced hijab.

So when your 10 year old neighbour reaches the age of 18, what will stop her from removing the hijab?

So when your 10 year old neighbour reaches the age of 18, what will stop her from removing the hijab?

Think...I know you can do it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

You. Should just step away from the computer for a few hours and go for a long walk and a have a really good chat with yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

JohnMc1 wrote: »

Eh The Kilkenny Journal is written by a known extreme far right racist neo nazi. Sorry but that isnt a serious source at sll.
    Doubt that

Think...I know you can do it...

You got nothing do you? Because ye have created this contradictory position for yourselves. When people are trying to immigrate then being Muslim is a simple choice and all they need to do is renounce it but when you want to tell everyone how evil it is it's this oppressive religion from which there is no escape.

You. Should just step away from the computer for a few hours and go for a long walk and a have a really good chat with yourself.

Probably get more useful discussion than I would from you anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Probably get more useful discussion than I would from you anyway.

Nobody can give you useful discussion because you wont listen.

Do you not see what you are writing? It's fecking crazy and I don't know how any sane person can get your way of thinking.

Whats stopping her from wearing a hijab when she is 18, is one the most stupidest things I have ever read here or any where. What the hell is wrong with you?

Nobody can give you useful discussion because you wont listen.

Do you not see what you are writing? It's fecking crazy and I don't know how any sane person can get your way of thinking.

Whats stopping her from wearing a hijab when she is 18, is one the most stupidest things I have ever read here or any where. What the hell is wrong with you?

Yet nobody has answered it.

I work with a Muslim girl in her 20s, seems lovely. Wears a headscarf but you'd barely see it in work she wears it so low. But when her mother picks her up she has it up a good bit and when her dad picks her up it's all the way up to cover her hair.

I work with a Muslim girl in her 20s, seems lovely. Wears a headscarf but you'd barely see it in work she wears it so low. But when her mother picks her up she has it up a good bit and when her dad picks her up it's all the way up to cover her hair.

Ditto
    We hitred a Muslim girl 3 years ago, originally from what would be considered a moderate Muslim country. Lovely girl. Very popular with the team and our customers. Been living in Ireland years. Went to college in Ireland.
    Doesn't wear a hijab at work.

It's thrown on the back seat of her car. She puts it on, on her way home. She's 24.

• Advertisement

You got nothing do you? Because ye have created this contradictory position for yourselves. When people are trying to immigrate then being Muslim is a simple choice and all they need to do is renounce it but when you want to tell everyone how evil it is it's this oppressive religion from which there is no escape.

WTF are you on about?

Apostacy is punishable by death.

This thread is about whether Ireland becoming more and more Muslim would be good or bad. The more Muslims that end up here and the more we allow their extremes, the less likely it is that that girl could throw off her hijab at 18.

It’s already very unlikely her family would accept it if they’re forcing it on her in the first place. If your reasoning is that she can just run away from her family and other Muslims, you might want to reevaluate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So with today's shocking news from Scotland

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/body-of-young-schoolgirl-6-found-on-scottish-island-three-hours-after-she-was-reported-missing-37076876.html

I've read a few different reports (not so much on the uber progressive BBC hmmmmmm, odd) about this, let's be honest it's a murder. However every report I've read has one very interesting fact omitted. The Isle of Bute is home to 24 'Muslim refugee' familys. They were placed there last year. Anyone want to bet on the last hours of this little girl or who murdered her?

I'm sure there are a few progressive type who will infer I'm a racist for pointing this out but let's see what the outcome is.

Absolutely disgusting comment to make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Absolutely disgusting comment to make!

Might be disgusting to you, but it’s probably on the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Or it could be someone local that knew the family and the girl.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And if it turns out to be a white christian male who did this I'm sure the accusers will come back to the thread and apologise for making such a disgusting comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Perhaps if she was still in Palestine and the anti immigrants had their way. As she is in Ireland she will be free to do as she pleases when she hits 18, probably sooner than that.

By then the stockholm syndrome will have really set in ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A "holiday" back to the country of origin.

Get your google translate ready for the link if you dont believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    If you genuinely believe that - despite the facts and evidence of life for such girls/women in other Western European countries - then I'm afraid you've lost all remaining credibility with that statement.

It's a perfect example of the core problem of this mindset though... the reality is fundamentally different than the crusading agenda-driven narrative that the virtue-signalling left are peddling.

Thankfully the general electorate of those European countries are realising this for themselves and pushing back against this nonsense - which makes it even more unfortunate that Ireland will have to do things the hard way as usual thanks to sycophants like Varadkar, Coveney and Zappone.

Spot on !

Zappone - very dangerous individual.

Doesn't she know how the LGB community are treated in Islamic countries ??

and she wants to mass import that here ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Spot on !

Zappone - very dangerous individual.

Doesn't she know how the LGB community are treated in Islamic countries ??

and she wants to mass import that here ...

Zappone should never have been given the position she has, but we can thank Enda Kenny for that in his rush to become the only FG Taoiseach to get a second term. That's why her and the likes of Shane Ross now have the influence they do.

As well as her crusading on immigration, don't forget she tried to start a diplomatic incident with the US over pre-clearance at Shannon because she dislikes Trump.

The woman is using her ministry as a platform for her own personal agendas and biases.. agendas/biases which are shaped from her US upbringing and education, and the very different issues they have there, but which she's trying to shoe-horn into politics over here.

Dangerous indeed.

Your dealing with people, who are convinced the EU and our governments objective is to bring about Islamic dominance all over Europe, why?.. Something, something liberals...
    I'm dealing with people who think that if you are not completely against Islam in every way you are completely for it in every way. There's no middleground or complexity to the issue and if you aren't completely on board with them you are the enemy.

The self righteous "right on" virtue signalling is so ironically hypocritical and self indulgent.

"We're dealing with people..." like your "adversaries" is anyone you regard as any way to the right of you, as a homogeneous group of anti immigration racists or, mot de jeur , an Islamophobe - unable to understand subtlies and nuances.

Don't flatter yourselves guys. We are a very diverse group, with very varied opinions.

WTF are you on about?

You still haven't given an answer I see.

Apostacy is punishable by death.

Indeed it is in some places. But when it's pointed out to people that judging a person based on their religion is no different than racism the response is "religion is a choice".

This thread is about whether Ireland becoming more and more Muslim would be good or bad. The more Muslims that end up here and the more we allow their extremes, the less likely it is that that girl could throw off her hijab at 18.

It’s already very unlikely her family would accept it if they’re forcing it on her in the first place. If your reasoning is that she can just run away from her family and other Muslims, you might want to reevaluate.

No, my reasoning is that she's in much the same position as any other child who had to grow up with strict unreasonable parents in Ireland.

The self righteous "right on" virtue signalling is so ironically hypocritical and self indulgent.

"We're dealing with people..." like your "adversaries" is anyone you regard as any way to the right of you, as a homogeneous group of anti immigration racists or, mot de jeur , an Islamophobe - unable to understand subtlies and nuances.

Don't flatter yourselves guys. We are a very diverse group, with very varied opinions.

Not in this thread you aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Captain Obvious, if you might indulge me. The thread title asks Is Islam right for Ireland? With that in mind, and without talking about other religions, what positives would Islam bring to this country?

You still haven't given an answer I see.

If i knew what you were asking me, id make an attempt to answer.

No, my reasoning is that she's in much the same position as any other child who had to grow up with strict unreasonable parents in Ireland.

You and your "reasoning" >>>>

<<<< Reality , evidence, history, experience etc.

Not in this thread you aren't.

Such wilful ignorance.
    So, where do I fit on this spectrum of anyone not as "right-on" left as you ? (reluctant to use the term, anyone to the right of you, i fear there may be no boundary).

Am I an Islamophobe?
    Religousphope?
    Bigot?
    Racist?
    Anti immigration?
    Intolerant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Why don't we set up a poll to get a clearer idea what people really think i think its obvious what the answer will be but it would be interesting to see by how much.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Captain Obvious, if you might indulge me. The thread title asks Is Islam right for Ireland? With that in mind, and without talking about other religions, what positives would Islam bring to this country?

Feels unnecessary that I should have to keep reminding people of my position.

Islam is not right for Ireland. No religion is right for Ireland.

Islam isn't right for Denmark. That doesn't justify taking one year old children from their parents for 25 hours a week. It's as simple as that. It's not right for Roger's hypothetical neighbour to dress his child in a religious head dress but it's not much different to any other parent dressing their child based on their relgion or morals. He's not a bad parent because he's Muslim, he's just a bad parent. His religion just influences the way this manifests.

If i knew what you were asking me, id make an attempt to answer.

Sorry, dude, I wasn't aware you were incapable of navigating to the previous page. It does explain a few things though.

You and your "reasoning" >>>>

<<<< Reality , evidence, history, experience etc.

It does not surprise me that you would dismiss reason so readily.
    Such wilful ignorance.
    So, where do I fit on this spectrum of anyone not as "right-on" left as you ? (reluctant to use the term, anyone to the right of you, i fear there may be no boundary).

Am I an Islamophobe?
    Religousphope?
    Bigot?
    Racist?
    Anti immigration?
    Intolerant?

You go ahead and pick whatever label you want for yourself. Whichever makes you feel most victimised.

Mutant z wrote: »
    Why don't we set up a poll to get a clearer idea what people really think i think its obvious what the answer will be but it would be interesting to see by how much.

Because the question in the thread title has already been answered in the first few pages. Zero people would want to see an Islamic influence on our laws or government. The ops question also spoke of immigration, which is what the thread moved on to.

Sorry, dude, I wasn't aware you were incapable of navigating to the previous page. It does explain a few things though.

Ah yes.. another well-worn tactic of the virtuous... when your argument isn't accepted blindly, resort to name-calling/childish insults.. that'll convince them! :rolleyes:
    I think you'll find that you are the one confusing your own opinion and idealism with the reality of the experiences of those who have already gone through the process you're advocating Ireland adopt.
    You go ahead and pick whatever label you want for yourself. Whichever makes you feel most victimised.

See my first point above
    Because the question in the thread title has already been answered in the first few pages. Zero people would want to see an Islamic influence on our laws or government.

Finally, something we can all agree on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Islam isn't right for Denmark. That doesn't justify taking one year old children from their parents for 25 hours a week. It's as simple as that. It's not right for Roger's hypothetical neighbour to dress his child in a religious head dress but it's not much different to any other parent dressing their child based on their relgion or morals. He's not a bad parent because he's Muslim, he's just a bad parent. His religion just influences the way this manifests.

Well, draconian as it might look, it is justifiable and mostly necessary as well if you know what happens when they dont come up with a rule like that.
    At least these kids are 25 hours a week in a Danish speaking environment, something they most of the time dont have at home because the parent dont speak Danish either..

It is one of the biggest problems in the Dutch schools and one of the main reasons kids from islamic (read mostly Turkish and Moroccan decent) background fail in school.
    They get into school with age 4 and that is about the first time they hear Dutch. Those years they never make up.

Feels unnecessary that I should have to keep reminding people of my position.

You could've stopped there and swapped Denmark for Ireland. Couldn't resist including the term other religions either. Explicitly asked you if Islam was right for Ireland. Yes or No. It would pain you and your ilk to just say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why will we get it right when likes of a Holland, Sweden, Germany and Denmark cannot?

Why will Ireland be better then these countries?

Ah yes.. another well-worn tactic of the virtuous... when your argument isn't accepted blindly, resort to name-calling/childish insults.. that'll convince them! :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that you are the one confusing your own opinion and idealism with the reality of the experiences of those who have already gone through the process you're advocating Ireland adopt.

See my first point above

Another one playing the victim card. I think you'll find that I reserve personal comments for people who have gotten personal with me first. And what makes you think I'm trying to convince the people I respond to?
    inforfun wrote: »
    Well, draconian as it might look, it is justifiable and mostly necessary as well if you know what happens when they dont come up with a rule like that.

It isn't.

At least these kids are 25 hours a week in a Danish speaking environment, something they most of the time dont have at home because the parent dont speak Danish either..

As far as I can tell, this rule will also apply to Danish people living in poor areas.

It is one of the biggest problems in the Dutch schools and one of the main reasons kids from islamic (read mostly Turkish and Moroccan decent) background fail in school.
    They get into school with age 4 and that is about the first time they hear Dutch. Those years they never make up.

Again, It's simply not a proportional response to this issue.

You could've stopped there and swapped Denmark for Ireland. Couldn't resist including the term other religions either. Explicitly asked you if Islam was right for Ireland. Yes or No. It would pain you and your ilk to just say it.

And I explicitly answered a few times. I literally said "Islam is not right for Ireland." Am I not allowed then elaborate my position further?

And we were talking about a policy being implemented in Denmark and a hypothetical 10 year old girl in Ireland, which is why I brought up both those things.

You are trying to find a way to make me some defender of Islam and completely ignoring the entire thread in the process.

Why will we get it right when likes of a Holland, Sweden, Germany and Denmark cannot?

Why will Ireland be better then these countries?

There's never an answer to that , nor what the supposed benefits will be to the natives... we know all about the benefits to the recipients alright, but very thin on the former.

But that doesn't matter, because ultimately the main aim here is to virtue-signal to like-minded individuals, not come up with realistic suggestions that can be supported by others.

Another one playing the victim card. I think you'll find that I reserve personal comments for people who have gotten personal with me first. And what makes you think I'm trying to convince the people I respond to?

Victim? I'm not the one throwing my toys out of the pram and resorting to insults and name-calling because someone on the Internet disagreed with me.

You are completely entitled to your opinions on this topic, but it might help the discussion (because that's why we're here, right?) if you were able to answer questions or counter-arguments without the above.

I'd be (genuinely) very interested in your answers to that myself, as I personally see very little advantage to replacing one formally very oppressive religion in this country with another that is even MORE oppressive.

• Advertisement

I literally said "Islam is not right for Ireland."

Islamophobe. Bigot. Racist.

Victim? I'm not the one throwing my toys out of the pram and resorting to insults and name-calling because someone on the Internet disagreed with me.

You are completely entitled to your opinions on this topic, but it might help the discussion (because that's why we're here, right?) if you were able to answer questions or counter-arguments without the above.

Did that already.

I'd be (genuinely) very interested in your answers to that myself, as I personally see very little advantage to replacing one formally very oppressive religion in this country with another that is even MORE oppressive.

but who has said anything about replacing one with the other? Literally nobody has even hinted at putting Islam in a place of power akin to the Vatican before it. There's people here who think letting Muslims into the country will inevitably lead to Islamic law being imposed. There's others who don't. The disagreement lies in what needs to be done to ensure such a thing is prevented, not whether it is a good or bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

There's people here who think letting Muslims into the country will inevitably lead to Islamic law being imposed. There's others who don't. The disagreement lies in what needs to be done to ensure such a thing is prevented, not whether it is a good or bad thing.

A start would be repealing the blasphemy laws. If their were a lot of muslims in office now could they enforce those laws? Would they extend to sharia or is it just catholic blasphemy they address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Time for a poll, seriously ...

Rory28 wrote: »
    A start would be repealing the blasphemy laws. If their were a lot of muslims in office now could they enforce those laws? Would they extend to sharia or is it just catholic blasphemy they address?

The law was designed to be unenforceable as far as I remember. It requires a referendum to remove the requirement for the blasphemy law though.

Because the question in the thread title has already been answered in the first few pages. Zero people would want to see an Islamic influence on our laws or government. The ops question also spoke of immigration, which is what the thread moved on to.

Yup.
    You've nothing
    Nada. Zilch.

Only glib cliches , generalizations, and a delusional belief your view is correct and the rest of us are racists or suffering from some victim complex.
    Indeed.

You're way out of your depth son.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yup.
    You've nothing
    Nada. Zilch.

Only glib cliches , generalizations, and a delusional belief your view is correct and the rest of us are racists or suffering from some victim complex.
    Indeed.

I’d almost guarantee he thinks he’s winning the debate too.

but who has said anything about replacing one with the other? Literally nobody has even hinted at putting Islam in a place of power akin to the Vatican before it. There's people here who think letting Muslims into the country will inevitably lead to Islamic law being imposed. There's others who don't. The disagreement lies in what needs to be done to ensure such a thing is prevented, not whether it is a good or bad thing.

The concern is that, if not properly thought out and controlled now, Ireland could indeed end up like areas of the UK, or Sweden or other European countries where the Muslim community has been allowed grow to where it thinks it can act independently of the local norms or laws.

Secondly is the concern of taking in thousands of barely literate, low-skilled economic migrants (regardless of their religious beliefs) who have no ability to support themselves and who therefore only represent an ongoing drain on already stretched resources.

This is all well-documented, but you're right... it's not a given. This is why it's essential that we start having serious discussions NOW as a country without the nonsense of being accused of being racists or -phobes for simply expressing concerns.

I don't think ANYONE on this thread has a problem with taking in more people SO LONG AS it's done in a sustainable manner, and the new arrivals will successfully integrate and contribute positively (culturally and economically) to their new homes .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Captain Obvious missing the most bloody obvious thing going on in Western society today, the incompatible beliefs of Islam with Western democratic societies. If Leo Varadkar does what Merkel did with so much Islamic immigration (invasion in truth), it would utterly change the very fabric of Irish society.

Yup.
    You've nothing
    Nada. Zilch.

Indeed.

Yet you still haven't answered the question I asked.

I’d almost guarantee he thinks he’s winning the debate too.

You think this is a debate?

The concern is that, if not properly thought out and controlled now, Ireland could indeed end up like areas of the UK, or Sweden or other European countries where the Muslim community has been allowed grow to where it thinks it can act independently of the local norms or laws.

Secondly is the concern of taking in thousands of barely literate, low-skilled economic migrants (regardless of their religious beliefs) who have no ability to support themselves and who therefore only represent an ongoing drain on already stretched resources.

This is all well-documented, but you're right... it's not a given. This is why it's essential that we start having serious discussions NOW as a country without the nonsense of being accused of being racists or -phobes for simply expressing concerns.

I don't think ANYONE on this thread has a problem with taking in more people SO LONG AS it's done in a sustainable manner, and the new arrivals will successfully integrate and contribute positively (culturally and economically) to their new homes .

Some people think they cannot integrate. That's the disagreement.

Taytoland wrote: »
    Captain Obvious missing the most bloody obvious thing going on in Western society today, the incompatible beliefs of Islam with Western democratic societies. If Leo Varadkar does what Merkel did with so much Islamic immigration (invasion in truth), it would utterly change the very fabric of Irish society.

Yes, yes. We've heard the soapbox rant already. Where has anyone looked for immigration at the same rate as Germany?

Words like invasion doesn't do your cause any good Pepe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement