Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,708 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The "father"'s family are "accomplished bare knuckle fighters".

Is "accomplished" really the right word to go with ????

indeed, reminds me of the sky reporter that descirbed an isis attack as vintage

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Any links to this please? Genuinely interested as i havent seen this quote in any news sources i have read.

You won't find a link. Just the knuckledragging daily mail creating clickbait for idiots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

You consider that racism? How heavily subscribed to the "White people are the real victims" narrative are you?

There.

dav3 wrote: »
    You won't find a link. Just the knuckledragging daily mail creating clickbait for idiots.

So when it's in the Grauniad we're fine right ? Off the stage lad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There.

Right. I'll leave you to your onanistic victimhood narrative and alternative facts then so.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Right. I'll leave you to your onanistic victimhood narrative and alternative facts then so.

Pointless reporting an AH mod on AH isn't it really ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The "father"'s family are "accomplished bare knuckle fighters".

Doesnt say family
    They are reportedly eastern Europeans from the Romani community and accomplished bare-knuckle fighters, their east London neighbours said.

Doesnt say family

No issue with bigging up illegal behaviour as if they'd won the All Ireland but taking issue with "family".

It's clear what was meant.

No issue with bigging up illegal behaviour as if they'd won the All Ireland but taking issue with "family".

It's clear what was meant.

Who's bigging up illegal behaviour?

Just saying he shouldnt be making up his own quotes and should quote the actual article.

• Advertisement

Who's bigging up illegal behaviour?

Just saying he shouldnt be making up his own quotes and should quote the actual article.

Pointless though because the minute a story appears in a paper not on their proscribed list, apparently it loses its truth.

Pointless though because the minute a story appears in a paper not on their proscribed list, apparently it loses its truth.

What is the "proscribed (sic) list. If i made uo a quote saying the 3 men arrested never new the husband i would be jumped on but its ok for others to make up quotes?

What is the "proscribed (sic) list. If i made uo a quote saying the 3 men arrested never new the husband i would be jumped on but its ok for others to make up quotes?

1. Oh I used a wrong word - big deal.

2. It was in the story but you know perfectly well what I was getting at, the Daily Mail publishes a story and the apologists are all over it. It appears in the Huff Post or The Grauniad and poof - miraculously true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Pointless reporting an AH mod on AH isn't it really ?
    Pointless reporting anything really, if it doesn't align with the left view.
    I reported a post yesterday for cross posting posts from different threads which I was given a yellow card for previously, and surprise surprise nothing happened.

I've given up posting in the trump threads because it's not a debate its a circle around one or two posters, make them leave (or get banned) and then return to the echo chamber.

It doesn't matter anyway, the war on terror is already lost, the economic and terrorist migrants have moved in to the EU already. Trump is the president and no arguing on this backwater dump is going to change that either way

So at the end of the day, we can rabbit on about migrants and we can rabbit on about Trump but neither of these threads on some pokey Irish website is going to make a blind bit of difference anyway.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I reported a post yesterday for cross posting posts from different threads which I was given a yellow card for previously, and surprise surprise nothing happened.

I've given up posting in the trump threads because it's not a debate its a circle around one or two posters, make them leave (or get banned) and then return to the echo chamber.

It doesn't matter anyway, the war on terror is already lost, the economic and terrorist migrants have moved in to the EU already. Trump is the president and no arguing on this backwater dump is going to change that either way

So at the end of the day, we can rabbit on about migrants and we can rabbit on about Trump but neither of these threads on some pokey Irish website is going to make a blind bit of difference anyway.

On the plus side I learned a new word - when I'm next at the footy I can have the option to shout "get the ball you lazy f**king onanist",

Thank you Google!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I was out walking the dog earlier and I met this couple wheeling a pram, when suddenly I was hit on the back of the head by a rattle.

• Advertisement

1. Oh I used a wrong word - big deal.

2. It was in the story but you know perfectly well what I was getting at, the Daily Mail publishes a story and the apologists are all over it. It appears in the Huff Post or The Grauniad and poof - miraculously true.

You have clearly made up your own words* in the post to suit your agenda, dont try to play the victim when someone calls you out for telling a blatant lie.
    *The "father"'s family are "accomplished bare knuckle fighters".

The fact is the father and the men arrested are not even from the same country never mind the same family!

You have clearly made up your own words* in the post to suit your agenda, dont try to play the victim when someone calls you out for telling a blatant lie.

The fact is the father and the men arrested are not even from the same country never mind the same family!

I have no agenda.

I read the story in bed, on my phone, half asleep near midnight.

So I got the details wrong ?

The husband was still arrested, he still is a violent asylum seeker and like a backwards moron, flipped over seeing "his" wife dressed normally.

I have no agenda.

I read the story in bed, on my phone, half asleep near midnight.

So I got the details wrong ?

The husband was still arrested, he still is a violent asylum seeker and like a backwards moron, flipped over seeing "his" wife dressed normally.

You posted the comment 5 hours ago, so nearly 8 AM? or are you posting from somewhere with an 8 hour time difference to ireland?

As for the husband? The only story i can find to the claim is the one you posted. I'll wait till the facts come out before jumping to any conclusions.

Either way hopefully the child gets justice.

You posted the comment 5 hours ago, so nearly 8 AM? or are you posting from somewhere with an 8 hour time difference to ireland?

As for the husband? The only story i can find to the claim is the one you posted. I'll wait till the facts come out before jumping to any conclusions.

Either way hopefully the child gets justice.

See post #3047.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

What is the "proscribed (sic) list. If i (sic) made uo (sic) a quote saying the 3 men arrested never new (sic) the husband i (sic) would be jumped on but its(sic) ok for others to make up quotes?

I believe the poster is simply voicing his frustration that when asked for a link, and duly providing same, the poster below was so swift to deny the report whilst also clearly inferring the poster is an idiot.

dav3 wrote: »

• Advertisement

See post #3047.

Im on phone so posts are not numbered for me, im talking about the post that i quoted where you claimed it was the husbands family re: bare knuckle fighting.

You posted that 5 hours ago, changed the wording of the article to suit your agenda and basically told a blatant lie.

I believe the poster is simply voicing his frustration that when asked for a link, and duly providing same, the poster below was so swift to deny the report whilst also clearly inferring the poster is an idiot.

And do.you think providing a link and then changing the wording of it to suit an agenda is ok?

This isn't Nineteen Eighty-Four, we are not all on the same schedule as yourself.

Im on phone so posts are not numbered for me, im talking about the post that i quoted where you claimed it was the husbands family re: bare knuckle fighting.

You posted that 5 hours ago, changed the wording of the article to suit your agenda and basically told a blatant lie.

I posted at 23.47 to say I had read that it was the "violent asylum seeking father" who had been arrested.

I'm done arguing with you and sick of being called a liar by you.

You might be okay with kids getting maimed by acid just because daddy's backward "faith" says mummy can't go out in the UK without looking like a dalek put away for the night but I am very much not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There.
    There is literally nothing in that post claiming it's all white people's fault.

And do.you think providing a link and then changing the wording of it to suit an agenda is ok?

Just one last one - I made the comment, the quotes were verbatim from the story.

Someone else kindly provided the link and like the typical left wing Pavlovian response - it was decried because it wasn't in the "correct" paper.

If right wing posters want the freedom to spout lies with immunity (such as made up quotes), they should take it to somewhere it is welcome. Like for example the politics forum, where I've been told personally by mods to not report lies because they "don't care if posters are lying or not" and will not entertain such reporting of posts, despite their forum charter explicitly stating to report such posts. They will however ban people who call out these lies, so there is that.

This isn't Nineteen Eighty-Four, we are not all on the same schedule as yourself.

Claims he posted at midnight yet 5 hours ago was 8 am. So either he is lying or posted from another country, nothing wrong with curiosity is there?

Billy86 wrote: »
    If right wing posters want the freedom to spout lies with immunity (such as made up quotes), they should take it to somewhere it is welcome. Like for example the politics forum, where I've been told personally by mods to not report lies because they "don't care if posters are lying or not" and will not entertain such reporting of posts, despite their forum charter explicitly stating to report such posts. They will however ban people who call out these lies, so there is that.
    What are you sh1teing on about now.
    Are you the stalker from yesterday? I think you were.

Claims he posted at midnight yet 5 hours ago was 8 am. So either he is lying or posted from another country, nothing wrong with curiosity is there?

I POSTED AT 23.47!

You just cannot be a**ed looking at it!

• Advertisement

What are you sh1teing on about now.
    Are you the stalker from yesterday? I think you were.

The stalker from yesterday? Fancy filling me in on what exactly you're on about there?

What I'm saying is if plane speeking wants to make lies and not be called on it, he can do so in the politics forum. In after hours he will be called out on that kind of stuff, and posters won't be carded and banned for doing so. Pretty simple stuff.

Listen - the quote was not made up.

It was a quote, hence the " " marks.

You may not like the source material but there you are.

The stalker from yesterday? Fancy filling me in on what exactly you're on about there?

What I'm saying is if plane speeking wants to make lies and not be called on it, he can do so in the politics forum. In after hours he will be called out on that kind of stuff, and posters won't be carded and banned for doing so. Pretty simple stuff.

So you can call me a liar when shown evidence to the contrary and get away with it ?

How is that right ???

Apologies, I mixed you up with a different "billy"
    Mea culpa

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107603236&postcount=2932

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

The poll tells you all you need to know.

I posted at 23.47 to say I had read that it was the "violent asylum seeking father" who had been arrested.

Im not on about that post, im on about the one where you changed the wording of the article to suit your agenda.
    I'm done arguing with you and sick of being called a liar by you.

Simple solution to that, dont post lies.
    You might be okay with kids getting maimed by acid just because daddy's backward "faith" says mummy can't go out in the UK without looking like a dalek put away for the night but I am very much not.

I live in the UK and see plenty of muslims, where do you live?

Your quotation marks were for the "fathers family."

Screenshot for me where it says "fathers family" or at least quote the passage where it does. I'm getting zero results for that phrase, myself.

Yes I am talking about the daily mail link you posted.

Apologies, I mixed you up with a different "billy"
    Mea culpa

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107603236&postcount=2932
    No bothers, I get mixed up too with a few posters from time to time!

Here is the quote from the article linked that you changed
    They are reportedly eastern Europeans from the Romani community and accomplished bare-knuckle fighters, their east London neighbours said.

If you have seen a different story from a different source that states it was the husbands family then link to it please or admit you changed the above to suit your agenda!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Taytoland wrote: »

It's 90% "No" as is most opinion on Islam on this site but several posters ignore facts like this and pretend that it is some sort of lefty echo chamber.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

It's 90% "No" as is most opinion on Islam on this site but several posters ignore facts like this and pretend that it is some sort of lefty echo chamber.
    Most people have a negative view of Islam. The fact that it's polling at 90% on Ireland's biggest forum is something followers of Islam should be concerned with.

Most people have a negative view of Islam. The fact that it's polling at 90% on Ireland's biggest forum is something followers of Islam should be concerned with.

There is literally nothing positive about most strands of Islam.

I've a couple of friends back home who have absolutely taken me to task because I made complaint about a student in work who threatened me.

"You shouldn't have done that, how does he know what is respectful and what is not ?".

He has been in Ireland for 8 years, speaks better English than me and if he doesn't know it's not okay to physically threaten a superior, I don't want him near the public.

Some people can excuse anything if you put an Islam tag on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Can you quote the post where anyone has said this?

Im not on about that post, im on about the one where you changed the wording of the article to suit your agenda.

The poster has already owned up to their error linking the attackers with the husband's family, but you'd prefer to use this faux pas (or agenda as you so repetitively claim) in an attempt to ignore the actual headline, which, in relation to the thread title, is most pertinent to the discussion;

"Afghan mother of acid attack boy, 3, was tracked down by her violent asylum seeker husband after she appeared in newspaper without her veil"

Not that I'm personally willing to accept the Mail as gospel at this time until facts are verified.

The poster has already owned up to their error linking the attackers with the husband's family, but you'd prefer to use this faux pas (or agenda as you so repetitively claim) in an attempt to ignore the actual headline, which, in relation to the thread title, is most pertinent to the discussion;

"Afghan mother of acid attack boy, 3, was tracked down by her violent asylum seeker husband after she appeared in newspaper without her veil"

Not that I'm personally willing to accept the Mail as gospel at this time until facts are verified.

On this at least we can both agree.

• Advertisement

If you see literally any other thread on social issues, on boards, the viewpoint is invariably 80-85% "liberal" and 15-20% "conservative"

I suspect the reality of Isis and terrorism has proved this one to be an outlier.

If you see literally any other thread on social issues, on boards, the viewpoint is invariably 80-85% "liberal" and 15-20% "conservative"

I suspect the reality of Isis and terrorism has proved this one to be an outlier.

Based on the 8th and SSM referenda I would heartily disagree.

Based on the 8th and SSM referenda I would heartily disagree.
    Considering the threads on the 8th polled at 80% repeal, and similar for SSM, you can heartily disagree all you wish but it doesn't align with the actuality.

I'll go dig out the old threads now
    Repeal Part 3 (75% repeal)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057867317

Repeal Part 2 (83% repeal)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057852825

Repeal Part 1 (no poll)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057852825

SSM thread in AH (82% in favour of SSM)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=26147

Considering the threads on the 8th polled at 80% repeal, and similar for SSM, you can heartily disagree all you wish but it doesn't align with the actuality.

I'll go dig out the old threads now

I'm talking about posts, not the poll.

I'm talking about posts, not the poll.
    You can change the goalposts however you wish.
    I remember posting in the Repeal threads and being on the side of the left... and laughing when the no voters were complaining about everyone ganging up on them, echo chamber, myriad of posts every time they post one reply etc

I see it from their side now.

I wasn't around for the SSM discussion but I'm sure it was more of the same

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement