Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

ELM327 wrote: »
    Considering the threads on the 8th polled at 80% repeal, and similar for SSM, you can heartily disagree all you wish but it doesn't align with the actuality.

I'll go dig out the old threads now

I'm not even sure what "label" fits me any more with all this nonsense!!!

I'd be "liberal" on gay rights, 8th, equality, things like that.

"Conservative" on reforming welfare, limiting immigration, encouraging self reliance in society.

Politically, I've voted Sinn Fein for decades (voted Martin McG for President, may God rest his soul) but as given their lefter learning stance and AAA/PBP like "free stuff with no consequences" I'll be FPing Fine Gael next election. Plus I was referred to as "the f**king 1%" in a SF meeting for mention I paid the higher rate of tax. Not necessary that.

I'd be deeply sceptical on feminism and it's motives currently but I remain very concerned at the hold 15th century practices seem to have on the UK and Ireland.

As the ad says, labels are for bottles - not people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You can change the goalposts however you wish.
    I remember posting in the Repeal threads and being on the side of the left... and laughing when the no voters were complaining about everyone ganging up on them, echo chamber, myriad of posts every time they post one reply etc

I see it from their side now.

I wasn't around for the SSM discussion but I'm sure it was more of the same

Except in this case, the echo chamber is comprised of people who despise Islam and Muslims.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

"Conservative" on reforming welfare, limiting immigration, encouraging self reliance in society.

Politically, I've voted Sinn Fein for decades (voted Martin McG for President, may God rest his soul) but as given their lefter learning stance and AAA/PBP like "free stuff with no consequences" I'll be FPing Fine Gael next election. Plus I was referred to as "the f**king 1%" in a SF meeting for mention I paid the higher rate of tax. Not necessary that.

I'd be deeply sceptical on feminism and it's motives currently but I remain very concerned at the hold 15th century practices seem to have on the UK and Ireland.

I hope you don't work in the same office as me because they'll accuse us of sock puppeting next - that's pretty much my viewpoint on everything. Well, except the Sinn Fein stuff, but we all make mistakes :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You must have missed myself and timberrrr asking earlier.

You linked to a daily mail article.

Where did this daily mail article bring the "fathers family"?

Yes, in your daily mail article. Not having a go at the source. We are asking where your own source says what you claim it did?

I hope you don't work in the same office as me because they'll accuse us of sock puppeting next - that's pretty much my viewpoint on everything. Well, except the Sinn Fein stuff, but we all make mistakes :D:D:D

Ah I was young and I believe in a United Ireland!!!!

Except in this case, the echo chamber is comprised of people who despise Islam and Muslims.
    In this thread I'd consider there to be an equal mix of postings both in favour and opposed. Perhaps there are slightly more opposed to them.

But in the other threads there literally are 9-10:1 posting ratio between left and right respectively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In this thread I'd consider there to be an equal mix of postings both in favour and opposed. Perhaps there are slightly more opposed to them.

But in the other threads there literally are 9-10:1 posting ratio between left and right respectively.

Perhaps in this thread but on the others it's overwhelming anti-Islam and anti-Muslim.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

I posted against 8th repeal and got ambushed, was lucky to make it out alive thankfully. But most people are critical of Islam on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

The poster has already owned up to their error linking the attackers with the husband's family, but you'd prefer to use this faux pas (or agenda as you so repetitively claim) in an attempt to ignore the actual headline, which, in relation to the thread title, is most pertinent to the discussion;

"Afghan mother of acid attack boy, 3, was tracked down by her violent asylum seeker husband after she appeared in newspaper without her veil"

Not that I'm personally willing to accept the Mail as gospel at this time until facts are verified.

It's just a headline though isn't it. If people actually read the article, which I know can be a bit of a chore for daily mail fanatics. They would discover that the wife appearing without her veil on allowed her to be tracked down, rather than what is being stated by people who are being deliberately obtuse that the child was attacked because the mother was walking around without a veil on.

It's always great to see so many non-Irish re-regs barrelling into these treads telling us that dark skinned foreigners are coming to get us btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Or.... you can concede that the majority probably does not like or in large part agree with Islam.

To ignore it and paint a picture that it is only a selective few on boards is a mistake not only you but politicians have been tripping over themselves to make, it is causing real issues.

This is what is leading to undesirable parties getting footholds.

And you can't even argue with them becaue they are doing exactly what most Muslim countries themselves do. Which is promote a follow the rules and get integrated or get lost.

• Advertisement

Or.... you can concede that the majority probably does not like or in large part agree with Islam.

To ignore it and paint a picture that it is only a selective few on boards is a mistake not only you but politicians have been tripping over themselves to make, it is causing real issues.

This is what is leading to undesirable parties getting footholds.

And you can't even argue with them becaue they are pg. Integrate properly or get lost.

When you say majority, are you just talking about this site?

Taytoland wrote: »
    I posted against 8th repeal and got ambushed, was lucky to make it out alive thankfully. But most people are critical of Islam on Boards.
    Good christ lets not mention the war, I'd have been on the other side of that camp but I'm firmly on your side in this one :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

When you say majority, are you just talking about this site?

No no I would say that the poll would reflect close to reality, if such an "anonymous" vote or poll existed.

Christianity has been getting put through the ringer. What makes you think there would be any concession given to Islam?

As for people posting about being ostracized for going against the repeal the 8th. That kind of ugliness was out in the real world, nevermind just contained in this forum.

No no I would say that the poll would reflect close to reality, if such an "anonymous" vote or poll existed.

Christianity has been getting put through the ringer. What makes you think there would be any concession given to Islam?

As for people posting about being ostracized for going against the repeal the 8th. That kind of ugliness was out in the real world, nevermind just contained in this forum.

I don't recall asking for any concession to Islam. Indeed, I would oppose such a concession to any religion.

I highly doubt 90% of Irish people are hostile to Islam. We'd have some sort of National Front party if that were the case unless they're just skeptical.

dav3 wrote: »
    It's just a headline though isn't it. If people actually read the article, which I know can be a bit of a chore for daily mail fanatics. They would discover that the wife appearing without her veil on allowed her to be tracked down, rather than what is being stated by people who are being deliberately obtuse that the child was attacked because the mother was walking around without a veil on.

It's always great to see so many non-Irish re-regs barrelling into these treads telling us that dark skinned foreigners are coming to get us btw.

Truly pathetic post there.

Why always bring skin colour into it ? In the US for example, 41% of Muslim-Americans are white. It's the ideology I despise, not the individuals - I'd say many have no choice but to follow it.

Non-Irish ? My passport says Irish; the constitution says I'm Irish; the taxes I've paid in the last 30 years say I'm Irish. Showing some prejudice there are you not ?

Did you celebrate Sophie O'Sullivan's win the other week as an Irish triumph ? Born in Australia. Still Irish.

Re-reg ? I thought this was a term for a banned poster who sneaks back in ? Could you be clear that is what you are accusing me of ?

Why always bring skin colour into it ? In the US for example, 41% of Muslim-Americans are white. It's the ideology I despise, not the individuals - I'd say many have no choice but to follow it.

Non-Irish ? My passport says Irish; the constitution says I'm Irish; the taxes I've paid in the last 30 years say I'm Irish. Showing some prejudice there are you not ?

Did you celebrate Sophie O'Sullivan's win the other week as an Irish triumph ? Born in Australia. Still Irish.

Re-reg ? I thought this was a term for a banned poster who sneaks back in ? Could you be clear that is what you are accusing me of ?

Settle down snowflake, it's not always about you.

Snowflake - from a liberal hahahah!

So still no attempt to provide where in your own source you got the quote you used about the "fathers family" I take it? Is there a reason you're so eager all of a sudden to avoid these posts after initially playing the victimised snowflake for people calling you on it? Is it that you made the quote about the "fathers family" up yourself?

Why did you make the quote up about the "fathers family", so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Similar to this, I wonder did certain posters celebrate the Irish relay team's achievement in the under 20 world championships the other week. Born in Ireland though not Irish according to some.

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Similar to this, I wonder did certain posters celebrate the Irish relay team's achievement in the under 20 world championships the other week. Born in Ireland though not Irish according to some.

Why would we not ? They're Irish and compete under the flag.

Be insane not to.

Why would we not ? They're Irish and compete under the flag.

Be insane not to.
    Not according to some (not you).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Please provide one quote from a poster who has claimed "dark skinned foreigners" are coming to get us, lest we all think you're a spoofer.

Please provide one quote from a poster who has claimed "dark skinned foreigners" are coming to get us, lest we all think your a spoofer.
    Even I haven't said that and they all accuse me of being a racist!

Not according to some (not you).

Then they're idiots. Just Googled the relay squad - nothing there to suggest they're not Irish; representing our country and wrapped in the flag.

Congrats to them!

So who was your pathetic post about so many "Non-Irish, Re-Regs" directed at?

Are you going to be an adult and actually stand by your statement by filling the rest of us in on who exactly you're referencing, or would you simply prefer to call those you disagree with Snowflakes some more?

• Advertisement

Please provide one quote from a poster who has claimed "dark skinned foreigners" are coming to get us, lest we all think your a spoofer.

Snake - the taxi driver who took me to the station today is a "dark skinned foreigner" as was the ticket checker on the train.

I probably should let them know we're on to them.

/SARCASM

When you admit to not caring about and probably being endeared to racism that pretty much makes you a racist tbh

Frankly I'd just like if PlaneSpeeking can tell us where the "quote" about the "fathers family" came from, as it is not anywhere in the Daily Mail story that they linked to. Sadly but exactly as expected, they seem to be slinking away like a coward rather than confessing they just made the quote up as a lie to further their agenda. It's quite standard when "the usual gang" don't show up in time to repeat the lie ad nauseum.

Kind of hard to take anything they say seriously when you know it's very likely they're just intentionally lying as they appear to be here.

That's because it's much simpler to cry racist than to actually discuss the topic at hand with some maturity.

I've said it many a time, and many a time it has gone ignored by the usual sycophants, but if this was about race and not the ideology, where are all the threads critical of Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Shintos etc?

That's because it's much simpler to cry racist than to actually discuss the topic at hand with some maturity.

I've said it many a time, and many a time it has gone ignored by the usual sycophants, but if this was about race and not the ideology, where are all the threads critical of Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Shintos etc?

A poster above claimed that people here supported the throwing of acid into a child's face. Where is the maturity in that?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Frankly I'd just like if PlaneSpeeking can tell us where the "quote" about the "fathers family" came from

He has already answered this some posts back, it was an error, he has held his hand up to this.

I have no agenda.
    I read the story in bed, on my phone, half asleep near midnight.
    So I got the details wrong ?
    Now, to quote myself;

The poster has already owned up to their error linking the attackers with the husband's family, but you'd prefer to use this faux pas (or agenda as you so repetitively claim) in an attempt to ignore the actual headline, which, in relation to the thread title, is most pertinent to the discussion;

"Afghan mother of acid attack boy, 3, was tracked down by her violent asylum seeker husband after she appeared in newspaper without her veil"

Not that I'm personally willing to accept the Mail as gospel at this time until facts are verified.

When you admit to not caring about and probably being endeared to racism that pretty much makes you a racist
    There's a big difference between empathising with the likes of Hulk Hogan for instance who was caught going on a racial tirade, and being an actual racist.

I'm not a racist. I'm a nationalist. There's a big difference between the two. If a white person from say Romania was coming here I'd be against it. Same as for a black/brown/yellow/blue whatever else. Colour doesn't come into it. It's about national pride and respect for your country's dominion and its borders.

Yeah, amen to all that tbh

He has already answered this some posts back, it was an error, he has held his hand up to this.

Now, to quote myself;

Cheers, I have the poster on ignore and I've covered that I read the story wrong.

Tonight I'll take the tablet to bed and watch XHamster, less chance of being cross examined.

A poster above claimed that people here supported the throwing of acid into a child's face. Where is the maturity in that?

There is none, and as much as I disagree with Timberrrs stance on this topic, I don't for a second believe he condones such an appalling attack.

But one only has to look over the past day's worth of posts to see that the vast quantity of mud-slinging with personal insults and claims of agendas are being slung from one side of the argument.

Who was that? I haven't read that and I've read back through the recent posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

In fairness ELM did say he wouldn't care if trump said something racist then clarified it would probably make him like him more(This could have been a windup). I know we shouldn't use other threads to make a point but from reading your posts you are level headed so just know who you are defending is all.

Who was that? I haven't read that and I've read back through the recent posts.

He's on ignore too ELM but I imagine he's referring to this:
    I posted at 23.47 to say I had read that it was the "violent asylum seeking father" who had been arrested.

I'm done arguing with you and sick of being called a liar by you.

You might be okay with kids getting maimed by acid just because daddy's backward "faith" says mummy can't go out in the UK without looking like a dalek put away for the night but I am very much not.

Perhaps over the top but very very tired of being called racist and having multiple posters bang on about a) my non existent agenda and b) a mistake I made at midnight.

He's on ignore to ELM but I imagine he's referring to this:

Perhaps over the top but very very tired of being called racist and having multiple posters bang on about a) my non existent agenda and b) a mistake I made at midnight.
    I have a few posters on ignore but none from this thread.
    Unless you mean that the other way, he has me on ignore.

Either way...I wouldn't read the post you quoted as being in favour of maiming a child with acid. The opposite in fact
    very very tired of being called racist and having multiple posters bang on aboutmy non existent agenda .
    I hear that!

Rory28 wrote: »
    In fairness ELM did say he wouldn't care if trump said something racist then clarified it would probably make him like him more(This could have been a windup). I know we shouldn't use other threads to make a point but from reading your posts you are level headed so just know who you are defending is all.

Did you miss this in your blind pursuit of me?

There's a big difference between empathising with the likes of Hulk Hogan for instance who was caught going on a racial tirade, and being an actual racist.

I'm not a racist. I'm a nationalist. There's a big difference between the two. If a white person from say Romania was coming here I'd be against it. Same as for a black/brown/yellow/blue whatever else. Colour doesn't come into it. It's about national pride and respect for your country's dominion and its borders.

I have a few posters on ignore but none from this thread.
    Unless you mean that the other way, he has me on ignore.

Either way...I wouldn't read the post you quoted as being in favour of maiming a child with acid. The opposite in fact

TOO! So sorry! He's on ignore too!

My bad, will edit!!

• Advertisement

This particular account isn't going too well for you, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Rory28 wrote: »

My guess is it was slightly tongue in cheek. As in, the extent of PC madness has reached a point that it is refreshing to hear someone (Trump) set the cats among the pigeons and offend a few of the right-on types. I think it's highly doubtful that the poster is actually a racist. Of course, this is a common tactic when trying to discuss immigration. Those who oppose mass immigration are constantly smeared as racists and xenophobes.

My guess is it was slightly tongue in cheek. As in, the extent of PC madness has reached a point that it is refreshing to hear someone (Trump) set the cats among the pigeons and offend a few of the right-on types. I think it's highly doubtful that the poster is actually a racist. Of course, this is a common tactic when trying to discuss immigration. Those who oppose mass immigration are constantly smeared as racists and xenophobes.

Quote right. I don't think any country can support unlimited, unchecked numbers coming in.

If Ireland had 200,000 Norwegian immigrants without jobs, needing support it would still be a disaster - and janey they're paler than we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Did you miss this in your blind pursuit of me?

lol. you can sugar it all you want it is pretty clear. We actually agree on a lot of subject its why I remember your post. Not because i'm in a blind pursuit of you. yeesh.

It's always great to see so many non-Irish re-regs barrelling into these treads

This particular account isn't going too well for you, is it?

So your post was about him then, how about being an adult and standing over your posts instead of name calling when called out on them.

What are you talking about Hulk Hogan for?

You were asked what you'd think if Donald Trump (numerous examples of him being a racist unlike Hulk Hogan afaik) was caught on tape going on a racial tirade. You replied "definitely don't care... probably endear further tbh". You then came into this thread crying about the Trump thread because people in there called you out on what you said. Own what you said instead of trying to sneak out of it with some Hulk Hogan bullsh!t

I can imagine the reaction if I said I was endeared to Anjem Choudary ranting about infidels and wanting Sharia law introduced all over the world

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

It's beyond me how you have not been site banned yet. 90% of your post are personal insults.

Now, to quote myself;
    Cheers - I had missed that, though I have difficulty taking their word for that as they continuously tried to switch the goalposts prior to admitting it, and also claim to have me on ignore despite repeatedly replying to me today across a few different threads today alone.

The crime is disgusting, I don't think anyone is denying that and I'm quite sure everyone wants to see these pr*cks face the fullest extent of the law come crashing down on them since they're pieces of filth. Though at the same time, if the three accomplices are Muslim I don't think that makes it any more damning against Muslims in general, and if they are Christian I don't believe it reflects badly on Christians in general (Roma typically being Christian or Muslim), and likewise on the chance that they are a different religion altogether with adherents of that, or if they don't follow any faith with regards to atheists like myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Cordell

If a white person from say Romania was coming here I'd be against it
    I'm one of those and I'll be genuinely interested in why you are against us coming here. You can PM me if you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

It's got nothing to do with skin colour. We do not see Buddhists or Sikhs running around Europe blowing children apart with home made bombs, knifing people to death, crushing them to death with vehicles and they aren't white either. It's purely ideology, that's it. Most people don't like the ideology and the havoc it's causing in Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement