Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Islam right for Ireland?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 17 The Old Guy

I will never understand why liberals are so determined to defend the most backward, homophobic, misogynistic religion going.

Shouldn't it be us conservative right wingers praising Islam as a model for the rest of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

eeguy wrote: »

This is a perfect example of the mental gymnastics at play here. They cannot accept the reality and cognitive dissonance. You try and equate the opposition to same sex marriage in a tiny place in Ireland to making homosexuality illegal and punishable by ( sharia ) law. Here I'll give you more to bite on, maybe some lads up in the hills in Louth share similar feelings. We can do this all night if you wish

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/survey-reveals-chasm-between-muslim-values-and-rest-of-uk-d30hl55lk

Only one in three British Muslims would tip off the police if they believed that somebody close to them had become involved with terrorist sympathisers, a poll has revealed.
    More than 100,000 British Muslims sympathise with suicide bombers and people who commit other terrorist acts, the survey suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I will never understand why liberals are so determined to defend the most backward, homophobic, misogynistic religion going.

Shouldn't it be us conservative right wingers praising Islam as a model for the rest of us?

I'm not defending Islam. I'm saying that people shouldn't be profiled by their religion, and seeing that Catholicism is far from clean we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Would you like to be denied entry into a country because youre Irish and Ireland is a Catholic country?

Also, the statistics from the Times were a poll of 1000 Muslims for a Channel 4 documentary. Would you base immigration policy on the results of such a poll?

I'm not defending Islam. I'm saying that people shouldn't be profiled by their religion, and seeing that Catholicism is far from clean we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Would you like to be denied entry into a country because youre Irish and Ireland is a Catholic country?

Also, the statistics from the Times were a poll of 1000 Muslims for a Channel 4 documentary. Would you base immigration policy on the results of such a poll?

I am against illegal immigration so that would mean a lot less muslims coming into Europe. I don't like Islam, the would would be a better place without it.

It has and will cause social problems in Europe (look at Sweden) and no amount of liberal utopian thinking will change that.

It's standard polling procedure.

To the bold part, I agree on that point you're making and I've never suggested that everyone be denied entry to a country purely based on their religious beliefs.

My point is that there's a pattern of serious problems across Europe that has occurred due to large scale immigration from predominately Muslim majority countries, if people would simply admit that then the conversation could more forward onto a discussion of how to let good people who want to integrate into a new society in and keep the bad ones out.

The conversation has never gotten that far, there's people who outright refuse to admit the problems in Europe that have occurred so occasionally I feel the need to point some of them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I will never understand why liberals

You don't understand what a liberal is.

No real liberal person supports Islam.

You don't understand what a liberal is.

No real liberal person supports Islam.

Indeed. Perhaps 'western liberal' is the better term. Closeted, sheltered people who don't realise how lucky they are to live in the west. They should talk to ex-muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

2 Scoops wrote: »
    They wouldn't sleep under your bed anyway, half of them in the UK think homosexuality should be illegal

I'm gay now?

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'm gay now?

Yup, that's precisely the point I was making. * slowly claps *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Look at immigration patterns for a start that tells you all you need to know .The bizarre thing is muslims want to get the hell out of their own countries only to impose their own religious ideology onto indigenous Europeans which makes no sense at all. Why did they leave Islamic majority countries in the first place if they love Islam so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Mutant z wrote: »
    Look at immigration patterns for a start that tells you all you need to know .The bizarre thing is muslims want to get the hell out of their own countries only to impose their own religious ideology onto indigenous Europeans which makes no sense at all. Why did they leave Islamic majority countries in the first place if they love Islam so much.

geeez that's a good question and I'm not sure I can you a proper answer but at a guess I'm going to say it's something to do with the lower odds of getting shot and or bombed in the west.

If not that perhaps something to do with being able to feed themselves and/or their families.

Can the left give a list of the positives that Islam brings to western Europe they are the ones who want them all to come here so they should give a list of any positive things that Islam brings I'll be waiting for their answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

The bizarre thing is muslims want to get the hell out of their own countries

That probably has something to do with "their ' countries being bombed and invaded by outsiders. I'd say that Muslims have a lot more to fear from non Muslims than the other way round.

I wonder how the body count would pan out. Muslims killed by non Muslims or non Muslims killed by Muslims, say in this century?

That probably has something to do with "their ' countries being bombed and invaded by outsiders. I'd say that Muslims have a lot more to fear from non Muslims than the other way round.

I wonder how the body count would pan out. Muslims killed by non Muslims or non Muslims killed by Muslims, say in this century?

The standard line trotted out by guilt ridden westerners Tell me, what did the Swedes do to deserve their truck attack? They worship muslims in Sweden.

The majority of those who practice it happen to be non white so hence must never be criticised in the leftists world the racism of low expectations for want of a better word.

The standard line trotted out by guilt ridden westerners Tell me, what did the Swedes do to deserve their truck attack? They worship muslims in Sweden.

What about the numbers?

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Yup, that's precisely the point I was making. * slowly claps *
    They wouldn't sleep under your bed anyway, half of them in the UK think homosexuality should be illegal

So what point are you making?

If muslims want islam so much then its best they emigrate to a country that best suits that view Ireland is traditionally a non Islamic country and i want it to remain that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I have a perfectly well developed conscience that doesn't like to see images of children washed up on beaches because of close minded attitudes like yours.

You mean children that already have a perfectly safe life in Turkey, who’s father had a job and they had an apartment rent free, and tried to get to the U.K. only because of the fathers vanity?? How did mine or anyone else’s attitude contribute to that??

If muslims want islam so much then its best they emigrate to a country that best suits that view Ireland is traditionally a non Islamic country and i want it to remain that way.

....using real world examples in the irish state, please back up your notion.

• Advertisement

The bizarre thing is muslims want to get the hell out of their own countries

Oh Sweden has done nothing but show them affection and look at the thanks they got the problem is Islam itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Tell me, what did the Swedes do to deserve their truck attack? .

What did the hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi muslims do to deserve being killed by non muslims?

Am I doing this right?

....using real world examples in the irish state, please back up your notion.
    The notion that Ireland is historically a non Islamic country well that's obvious to everyone but the willfully blind and stupid.

RustyNut wrote: »
    What did the hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi muslims do to deserve being killed by non muslims?

Am I doing this right?

Sweden, the 'humanitarian superpower' bends over backwards for Islamic migrants and they still got a truck attack and other serious social problems. You'll forgive me for not being too optimistic about Islamic migration.

You'll also forgive for not having the idiotic western liberal notion that we 'owe' the third world.

You mean children that already have a perfectly safe life in Turkey, who’s father had a job and they had an apartment rent free, and tried to get to the U.K. only because of the fathers vanity?? How did mine or anyone else’s attitude contribute to that??

He was Kurdish. Then as now, its not the best state for a Kurd to stay in.

He was Kurdish. Then as now, its not the best state for a Kurd to stay in.

He was safe, going to school, his father was working away as a waiter and they didn’t have any rent worries. Spout any nonsense you like. He was safe until his fathers vanity took over.

The notion that Ireland is historically a non Islamic country

True.
    well that's obvious to everyone but the willfully blind and stupid.

Well,

...you seem to be under the notion that muslims arriving here will change that. My question is "how?"

The notion that Ireland is historically a non Islamic country well that's obvious to everyone but the willfully blind and stupid.

Bigot. Don't you know that Islamic craftsmen helped construct Newgrange?

And this thing about Islam being a homophobic religion? How can that be true when it is recorded in the Koran that Muhammad enjoyed relationships with several young male lovers?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

For me all religions are equally ridiculous, so whether it's a Christian or a Muslim, in a Church of Mosque, praying to God or Allah it doesn't make any difference.

• Advertisement

miocicmma wrote: »
    For me all religions are equally ridiculous, so whether it's a Christian or a Muslim, in a Church of Mosque, praying to God or Allah it does make any difference.

Islam is a lot more than just a religion.

The notion that Ireland is historically a non Islamic country

True.
    well that's obvious to everyone but the willfully blind and stupid.

Well,

...you seem to be under the notion that muslims arriving here will change that. My question is "how?"
    By forcing Islamic customs on an unwilling Irish population its already happening with the likes of Ali Salim dictating to schools what their dress codes should be it starts of small but keeps getting bigger and bigger and before you know it you're under their spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Islam is a lot more than just a religion.

No, It's a religion which has allot more similarities to Christianity than the media would have you believe. They are in the same family of Abrahamic religions.

By forcing Islamic customs on an unwilling Irish population

Unless he has powers unbeknownst to the rest of us, he has some serious work ahead.
    its already happening with the likes of Ali Salim dictating to schools what their dress codes should be it starts of small but keeps getting bigger and bigger and before you know it you're under their spell.

He suggested that schools might allow their muslim pupils to wear the headscarf etc. Your problem with that is.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

For me all religions are equally ridiculous, so whether it's a Christian or a Muslim, in a Church of Mosque, praying to God or Allah it doesn't make any difference.

Edgy.

By forcing Islamic customs on an unwilling Irish population its already happening with the likes of Ali Salim dictating to schools what their dress codes should be it starts of small but keeps getting bigger and bigger and before you know it you're under their spell.

What school did he "dictate"to? Or are you just making thing up?

• Advertisement

Unless he has powers unbeknownst to the rest of us, he has some serious work ahead.

Can't wait to see how things will go when he suggests we should give up bacon and sausages....

Or pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why will Ireland be different?

What makes us better then France Germany or Sweden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There have been countless stories of Muslim immigrants degrading women and gay people all across Europe and generally not integrating into the countries that they have moved to, personally i was very pro migrant about a year (maybe a year and a half) ago but have completely 180'd on the topic and now have a serious feeling of discomfort when i think about Islam spreading to Ireland. Am i the only person who feels like we have enough problems without adding this new religion into the mix? the idea that governments want to change the views of their own people rather than address the source of the issue (in my eyes Islam and the less liberal nations from which these groups originate)scares me because it sends us back to the times of keeping everything silent, it will only lead to another catholic church situation where eventually their atrocities all come to light at once.

Islam has been a disaster for the Arabic world, why would it be any different in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭no.8

Laughable. You obviously have not lived in areas which are Muslim dominated.

No, It's a religion which has allot more similarities to Christianity than the media would have you believe. They are in the same family of Abrahamic religions.

Dark ages Christianity,yes.

There are unique problems to Islam,it being seen as the final word, unalterable and created byva man who fought countless battles, lived by robbing,has sex slaves tortured people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭no.8

I am against illegal immigration so that would mean a lot less muslims coming into Europe. I don't like Islam, the would would be a better place without it.

It has and will cause social problems in Europe (look at Sweden) and no amount of liberal utopian thinking will change that.

Well put. I for one completely agree with you

Can the left give a list of the positives that Islam brings to western Europe they are the ones who want them all to come here so they should give a list of any positive things that Islam brings I'll be waiting for their answers.

For a segment of the modern left their often tough stance on Jews and their opposition to Western values are enough.

Ironically enough that opposition includes most progressive values as well.

no.8 wrote: »
    Laughable. You obviously have not lived in areas which are Muslim dominated.

Any facts to dispute what I posted or just meaningless rhetoric?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Danzy wrote: »
    For a segment of the modern left his tough they are on Jews and their opposition to Western values.

Can’t make head nor tale of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭enricoh

It must be right for Ireland if our officials are to be believed. I was in the coombe hospital a month ago and there were signs on the notice board in Islamic.
    I would have thought there would be 10 times more people who could read Russian or polish in Ireland than Islamic yet they weren't catered for strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

enricoh wrote: »
    It must be right for Ireland if our officials are to be believed. I was in the coombe hospital a month ago and there were signs on the notice board in Islamic.
    I would have thought there would be 10 times more people who could read Russian or polish in Ireland than Islamic yet they weren't catered for strangely enough.

I was in the Coombe last week and I didn't see any Islamic writing. I'll be there again next week. Where did you see it exactly? I'll take a look.

there were signs on the notice board in Islamic.

130311160226-get-check-obama-laughing-story-top.jpg

Can’t make head nor tale of that.

I see what you mean.

I was in the Coombe last week and I didn't see any Islamic writing. I'll be there again next week. Where did you see it exactly? I'll take a look.

and what would Islamic writing look like? :rolleyes:

Islamic, is that a real language, I don't think so.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement