Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHL overcharging.. see mod warning post #74

Options
  • 18-04-2018 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭

Bought an item for $45 + 6 postage (DHL wasn’t mentioned). Package came with documented costs displayed on front.

DHL delivered and charged me
    26 Euros for Customs
    14 Warehouse charge

Total duty was a few cents more than 40 Euros...

More expensive than the item-

I had driver cash when he arrived or he was taking package back- felt scammy as he wouldn’t take card only cash and no receipt.

Does anyone know how I can challenge these charges- it doesn’t sound reasonable at all.

Mod:
    Note on thread Mod warning in post #74.

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

ozmo wrote: »
    Bought an item for $45 + 6 postage (DHL wasn’t mentioned). Package came with documented costs displayed on front.

26 Euros for Customs
    14 Warehouse charge

I had driver cash when he arrived or he was taking package back- felt scammy as he wouldn’t take card only cash and no receipt.

Does anyone know how I can challenge these charges- it doesn’t sound reasonable at all.

Where did they overcharge. You imported something of a value over the €22 duty free limit hence the customs charge. DHL then charge you for administering the charge. Caveat emptor

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

26 Euros for Customs
    14 Warehouse charge

You can ask DHL for a copy of the customs entry, which shows the amounts used to get to the VAT payable. You’re doing well if the accepted $6 shipping via DHL, express couriers charge far more than that, which would put up the VAT even more. They also charge for customs clearance and paying out the VAT on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions. They have a lot of experience with this

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Caranica wrote: »
    Where did they overcharge. You imported something of a value over the €22 duty free limit hence the customs charge. DHL then charge you for administering the charge. Caveat emptor

$51 = roughly €42
    Customs charge should be roughly €9.66
    'handling/warehouse' charge = €14
    Total DHL - €23.66

@OP
    The seller must not have displayed the shipping charge on the outside of the package. DHL use their own shipping calculator to estimate how much it would cost.
    Email the seller for an invoice with the shipping cost and contact DHL with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Suckit wrote: »
    $51 = roughly €42
    Customs charge should be roughly €9.66
    'handling/warehouse' charge = €14
    Total DHL - €23.66

@OP
    The seller must not have displayed the shipping charge on the outside of the package. DHL use their own shipping calculator to estimate how much it would cost.
    Email the seller for an invoice with the shipping cost and contact DHL with it.

Yes - that was it - seller didn’t put shipping on the label- and so dhl estimated the 45 dollar package as warranting 75 euros shipping fee!

Actual cost of shipping was euros 6.50 and I have the receipt.

So after their handling fees etc I’m due refund of 14 euros which I’m not sure I’m going bother chasing up.

Never going to pay for faster shipping from China again in case dhl and their excessive warehouse charges hits again.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes - that was it - seller didn’t put shipping on the label- and so dhl estimated the 45 dollar package as warranting 75 euros shipping fee!

Actual cost of shipping was euros 6.50 and I have the receipt.

So after their handling fees etc I’m due refund of 14 euros which I’m not sure I’m going bother chasing up.

Never going to pay for faster shipping from China again in case dhl and their excessive warehouse charges hits again.

DHL lay out the procedure quite clearly on their website. It is their published charge, less 30% as the figure to be used. The shipper should show the charge on their invoice, and they know well that they should. Problem is customs wouldn't accept their figures. You don't really believe that you would get a shipment by express from China for €6.50, do you? That wouldn't even pay for pick up, never mind at least 3 flights, and delivery at this end. It doesn't matter to the courier what the value is, they charge by weight or dimensions, whichever is bigger. The value would only matter to them for insurance purposes. Customs don't care either, once VAT/Duty is payable, it is payable on the cost of the product, and the cost of shipping.
    If you bring in shipments with VAT or duty payable, you have to be prepared to pay customs clearance/admin charges on €10-15.

whiterebel wrote: »
    DHL lay out the procedure quite clearly on their

But I never chose dhl or knew it would be handled by them - and yes it really was free shipping (6-8 weeks) or 6:50 for 2 week delivery.

This wasn’t a few days express dhl postage delivery I requested.

I am ok paying duty of course as a post would charge- but 40 Euros duty on a 40 Euros packet is excessive.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

DHL lay out the procedure quite clearly on their website. It is their published charge, less 30% as the figure to be used. The shipper should show the charge on their invoice, and they know well that they should. Problem is customs wouldn't accept their figures. You don't really believe that you would get a shipment by express from China for €6.50, do you? That wouldn't even pay for pick up, never mind at least 3 flights, and delivery at this end. It doesn't matter to the courier what the value is, they charge by weight or dimensions, whichever is bigger. The value would only matter to them for insurance purposes. Customs don't care either, once VAT/Duty is payable, it is payable on the cost of the product, and the cost of shipping.
    If you bring in shipments with VAT or duty payable, you have to be prepared to pay customs clearance/admin charges on €10-15.

Most sellers who use DHL have contracts which gives them massive discounts or they could be charged a monthly fee etc so each parcel doesn't actually have its own charge. So it is possible it only costs them 6.50.

spix wrote: »
    Most sellers who use DHL have contracts which gives them massive discounts or they could be charged a monthly fee etc so each parcel doesn't actually have its own charge. So it is possible it only costs them 6.50.

All complete guesswork then. I've never come across anything remotely like that suggetsed system. Again, do the maths on running 2 vans , and probably 3 aircraft for €6.50? More likely that they are making the product for pittance, and absordimg most of the courier cost to make the sale. They then dont declare the cost so the price looks better for customs. If the shipper actually declared the price as DDU - Delivered duty unpaid there would be no questions asked.

...do the maths on running 2 vans , and probably 3 aircraft for €6.50? More likely that they are making the product for pittance, and absordimg most of the courier cost to make the sale.....

I've received a few items by courier before like this - and only paid 6 euros or so postage - so its not the first time.

Its not DHL normal speeds - it still took about 2 weeks to get from China.

At a guess I think it seems to be China post will send it at whatever system they have - and if DHL or whoever has spare capacity at the time they deliver it the final leg of the journey for what ever they can get after it comes to Europe.

They made their money back anyway on the vat handling charge - so maybe that's their angle.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

All complete guesswork then. I've never come across anything remotely like that suggetsed system. Again, do the maths on running 2 vans , and probably 3 aircraft for €6.50? More likely that they are making the product for pittance, and absordimg most of the courier cost to make the sale. They then dont declare the cost so the price looks better for customs. If the shipper actually declared the price as DDU - Delivered duty unpaid there would be no questions asked.

Don't forget to add the 15 euro dhl 'admin fee'. There are sneaky ways for companies to make profit on parcels. Not to mention the plane isn't just carrying your tiny package, neither are the vans.

Shipping in China is extremely competitive, you can get domestic 1-2 day express delivery across thousands of miles for literally 1 euro.

If you ever used Chinese shipping agents you would be surprised at the cost. The base DHL fee with all of them is around $20 and that includes their charge for consolidating several items into 1 parcel and profit from the shipping fee.

I've received a few items by courier before like this - and only paid 6 euros or so postage - so its not the first time.

Its not DHL normal speeds - it still took about 2 weeks to get from China.

At a guess I think it seems to be China post will send it at whatever system they have - and if DHL or whoever has spare capacity at the time they deliver it the final leg of the journey for what ever they can get after it comes to Europe.

They made their money back anyway on the vat handling charge - so maybe that's their angle.

Whats the tracking number. I thought DHL only do an express service from China, the delay could have been the sellers delay in getting it to DHL. My last DHL parcel took a total of 37 hours for delivery from the time of pick up in Hong Kong.

Whats the tracking number..

Item was from Banggood - they shipped it next day - I chose tracked postage for an extra 6 euros.
    Seems came from China to NL via "Shipping Method: NL Post Tracked" - I received it from a very large DHL courier van in Dublin.

2018-04-23 16:40 DUBLIN, DELIVERED
    2018-04-20 12:12 DUBLIN, ITEM IN DEPOT
    2018-04-20 12:06 DUBLIN, ATTEMPTED DELIVERY, NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS
    2018-04-20 10:49 DUBLIN, ATTEMPTED DELIVERY, NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS
    2018-04-20 07:57 DUBLIN, ITEM IS ON DELIVERY
    2018-04-19 15:54 DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, ITEM HAS BEEN ACCEPTED
    2018-04-19 15:54 DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, ITEM IS IN TRANSIT
    2018-04-19 15:54 DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, ITEM RECEIVED
    Origin : Netherlands - Tracking consuming: 10364 ms
    2018-04-23 16:40 The item has been delivered successfully
    2018-04-20 10:49 The delivery of the item was unsuccessful
    2018-04-20 07:57 Receive item at delivery office (Inb)
    2018-04-19 15:54 The item has been processed in the country of destination
    2018-04-18 09:54 The item has arrived in the country of destination
    2018-04-11 17:38 The item is on transport to the country of destination
    2018-04-11 16:21 The item is at the PostNL sorting center
    2018-04-11 16:21 The item is processed at the PostNL sorting center

Order Submitted Apr/08/2018 18:11:54
    Order Processing Apr/08/2018 18:13:26
    Shipped Apr/09/2018 06:06:12

“Roll it back”

Item was from Banggood - they shipped it next day - I chose tracked postage for an extra 6 euros.
    Seems came from China to NL via "Shipping Method: NL Post Tracked" - I received it from a very large DHL courier van in Dublin.

2018-04-23 16:40 DUBLIN, DELIVERED
    2018-04-20 12:12 DUBLIN, ITEM IN DEPOT
    2018-04-20 12:06 DUBLIN, ATTEMPTED DELIVERY, NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS
    2018-04-20 10:49 DUBLIN, ATTEMPTED DELIVERY, NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS
    2018-04-20 07:57 DUBLIN, ITEM IS ON DELIVERY
    2018-04-19 15:54 DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, ITEM HAS BEEN ACCEPTED
    2018-04-19 15:54 DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, ITEM IS IN TRANSIT
    2018-04-19 15:54 DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12, ITEM RECEIVED
    Origin : Netherlands - Tracking consuming: 10364 ms
    2018-04-23 16:40 The item has been delivered successfully
    2018-04-20 10:49 The delivery of the item was unsuccessful
    2018-04-20 07:57 Receive item at delivery office (Inb)
    2018-04-19 15:54 The item has been processed in the country of destination
    2018-04-18 09:54 The item has arrived in the country of destination
    2018-04-11 17:38 The item is on transport to the country of destination
    2018-04-11 16:21 The item is at the PostNL sorting center
    2018-04-11 16:21 The item is processed at the PostNL sorting center

Order Submitted Apr/08/2018 18:11:54
    Order Processing Apr/08/2018 18:13:26
    Shipped Apr/09/2018 06:06:12

That's very odd. The tracking implies its a regular post item. I wonder if dhl take some of the parcels held in the depot due to failed delivery, then recalculate the customs themselves :/

Don't forget to add the 15 euro dhl 'admin fee'. There are sneaky ways for companies to make profit on parcels. Not to mention the plane isn't just carrying your tiny package, neither are the vans.

Shipping in China is extremely competitive, you can get domestic 1-2 day express delivery across thousands of miles for literally 1 euro.

If you ever used Chinese shipping agents you would be surprised at the cost. The base DHL fee with all of them is around $20 and that includes their charge for consolidating several items into 1 parcel and profit from the shipping fee.

Admin fee is for having an account with Revenue for VAT/Duty, usually at least a million euros. They have to pay someone to go through the supplier invoice, find the correct tarrif code, do a customs entry, send it electronically, and then arrange for inspection if necessary. Invoice it, and send it out for delivery, collecting the necessary customs charges. Do you expect them tom do that for free? It isn't part of the service, never has been. Its an integral part of importimg from outside the EU.
    An Post charge €10, which is too cheap, but they have the luxury of screwing everyone else with increased stamp costs to make up for their losses. All the couriers charge about €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

An Post charge €10, which is too cheap, but they have the luxury of screwing everyone else with increased stamp costs to make up for their losses. All the couriers charge about €15.

I think An Post charge is now €12.50. They can increase it whenever they want though. It was €6 in the first half 2015. Has had quite a few increases since then.

Admin fee is for having an account with Revenue for VAT/Duty, usually at least a million euros. They have to pay someone to go through the supplier invoice, find the correct tarrif code, do a customs entry, send it electronically, and then arrange for inspection if necessary. Invoice it, and send it out for delivery, collecting the necessary customs charges. Do you expect them tom do that for free? It isn't part of the service, never has been. Its an integral part of importimg from outside the EU.

Majority of parcels are under the duty limit and fast tracked yet still get charged 15 euro. If you think it takes them more than a couple of minutes to do that... whats that person getting paid an hour I wonder.

Majority of parcels are under the duty limit and fast tracked yet still get charged 15 euro. If you think it takes them more than a couple of minutes to do that... whats that person getting paid an hour I wonder.

What do you mean "fast tracked"?

What do you mean "fast tracked"?

The vast majority of parcels simply have their value looked at, then add 23% vat + 15 euro, it could even be done automatically before parcel lands in Ireland judging by the tracking I see on my parcel (custom status in Ireland was updated whilst parcel was still in HK) The entire customs process completed in 30minutes probably along with hundreds of other parcels.

Very few parcels will be high value and need tarrif codes look at or contents examined. And don't forget 15 euro is the minimum fee, for those high value parcels which take more time, the fee is 2.5%.

Have you got any proof to back up these serious allegations of fraud?

• Advertisement

Have you got any proof to back up these serious allegations of fraud?

What allegations of fraud? Well in OPs case it could very well be fraud since his parcel wasn't actually imported by DHL.

They're obviously allowed to charge the fee but that doesn't mean its a fair fee. Fyi, this admin fee according to dhl is actually called an advanced payment fee and is there because of the risk dhl takes by paying taxes in advance, not the great amount of work required to clear the parcel.

What allegations of fraud? Well in OPs case it could very well be fraud since his parcel wasn't actually imported by DHL.

They're obviously allowed to charge the fee but that doesn't mean its a fair fee. Fyi, this admin fee according to dhl is actually called an advanced payment fee and is there because of the risk dhl takes by paying taxes in advance, not the great amount of work required to clear the parcel.

You seem to be suggesting that courier companies aren't doing customs entries, just estimating taxes and then collecting the VAT and admin charge?

The OP quite clearly stated that DHL were the company that brought in the parcel, and charged for it. They also confirmed that the exporter hadn't shown the shipping charge on the paperwork, so DHL used the system documented on their website to calculate the charge. The shipper should certainly know better than to send it with no freight amount on it.

FYI, the couriers all call it something different, depending on their own invoicing systems. Take your pick from admin/warehousing/customs clearance/disbursements/Outlay fee or whatever. Still work that needs to be done, and they are entitled to charge for their time.

You seem to be suggesting that courier companies aren't doing customs entries, just estimating taxes and then collecting the VAT and admin charge?

The OP quite clearly stated that DHL were the company that brought in the parcel, and charged for it. They also confirmed that the exporter hadn't shown the shipping charge on the paperwork, so DHL used the system documented on their website to calculate the charge. The shipper should certainly know better than to send it with no freight amount on it.

FYI, the couriers all call it something different, depending on their own invoicing systems. Take your pick from admin/warehousing/customs clearance/disbursements/Outlay fee or whatever. Still work that needs to be done, and they are entitled to charge for their time.

There are no duties due on parcels under 150 value. The sender signs a form saying the declaration is true so very few have tariff codes or anything like that looked at. This is normal with all importers including ones that go directly through revenue, all parcels can't be scrutinized as it would cost too much money to employee enough people. It's a better business move to just slap a flat fee on majority of parcels. The 15 euro fee certainly isn't fair on people using DHL for low value shipments though, seeing as it is actually value based, the minimum fee is too high.

For example let's say you buy something ~50 euro and use DHL. Looking at gearbest now and found something which is 50 euro and 13 euro shipping by DHL, not a small item either. There's a good chance DHL will overestimate the shipping cost, tax the total and add a 15 euro fee. Suddenly that 50 euro item now cost 100+ because of DHLs overestimate of shipping cost greatly increasing the taxes and the 15 euro/25% 'advance payment fee' (higher value parcels only pay 2.5% fee) this definitely isn't fair for the buyer.

Shipping in China is complicated, most often its not dealt with directly by the seller rather they deal with shipping agents who have contracts with various shipping companies. So they often don't have the cost available to them to declare.

Even if DHL don't have the shipment cost available to them and its up to the seller to declare it, they should still know the approximate amount buyers pay for the parcel size coming from China. From my experience they grossly overestimate the amount paid, assuming its being sent from a private sender paying the full DHL china cost rather than from a big company with big discounts which is obviously the category most parcels fall into.

All this is irrelevant in OPs case though since DHL wans't actually the courier or importer, looks like they took over the parcel after the initial failed delivery.

There are no duties due on parcels under 150 value. The sender signs a form saying the declaration is true so very few have tariff codes or anything like that looked at. This is normal with all importers including ones that go directly through revenue, all parcels can't be scrutinized as it would cost too much money to employee enough people. It's a better business move to just slap a flat fee on majority of parcels. The 15 euro fee certainly isn't fair on people using DHL for low value shipments though, seeing as it is actually value based, the minimum fee is too high.

Shipping in China is complicated, most often its not dealt with directly by the seller rather they deal with shipping agents who have contracts with various shipping companies. So they often don't have the cost available to them to declare.

Even if DHL don't have the shipment cost available to them and its up to the seller to declare it, they should still know the approximate amount buyers pay for the parcel size coming from China. From my experience they grossly overestimate the amount paid, assuming its being sent from a private sender paying the full DHL china cost rather than from a big company with big discounts which is obviously the category most parcels fall into.

All this is irrelevant in OPs case though since DHL wans't actually the courier or importer, looks like they took over the parcel after the initial failed delivery.

VAT is payable on a value of over €22, Duty over €150.

I would seriously suggest you look through the VAT/Duty thread here ;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554,

because almost everyhing you are postimg is incorrect. The rest is guesswork.

VAT is payable on a valie of over €22, Duty over €150.

I would serkoisly suggest you look through the VAT/Duty thread here ;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554,

because almost everyhing you are postimg is incorrect. The rest is guesswork.

Sorry don't think you read my post properly, I know vat is due over 22 euro but thats not the point and I also know how shipping with dhl works in China as I've spoken to shipping agents there. You said I'm accusing DHL of fraud because they don't examine every parcel. Most parcels are quickly taxed on the declared value and this could even be done automatically with the bar codes. The 15 euro fee is there only because its a way to make money, DHL are a business so if there's a chance to charge you, of course they will do that. It's not because it takes a great amount of effort to import or because of the risk they take by paying in advance (because you'll be getting legal letters if you dont pay, and often they won't even give you the parcel until they do) The charge is legal, that's all that matters but doesn't mean its fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Sorry don't think you read my post properly, I know vat is due over 22 euro but thats not the point and I also know how shipping with dhl works in China as I've spoken to shipping agents there. You said I'm accusing DHL of fraud because they don't examine every parcel. Most parcels are quickly taxed on the declared value and this could even be done automatically with the bar codes. The 15 euro fee is there only because its a way to make money, DHL are a business so if there's a chance to charge you, of course they will do that. It's not because it takes a great amount of effort to import or because of the risk they take by paying in advance (because you'll be getting legal letters if you dont pay, and often they won't even give you the parcel until they do) The charge is legal, that's all that matters but doesn't mean its fair.

So what is fair? In order to clear the shipments DHL has to operate a TAN account with Revenue. This is a credit facility underwritten by a bank guarantee. That is the first direct cost to DHL.
    Operating the TAN account requires management, i.e. staff. Money's deducted from the TAN need to be matched against moneys collected from the consignee. And before you say "it's all automated" just think of the investment required to develop and maintain the automated processes. And it still requires "human intervention".
    And then there is the actual customs entry that needs to be prepared and processed. Again it is driven by a high degree of automation but still requires staff to prepare and process the customs entry.
    To put it into context, if you employ a customs broker to clear shipments on your behalf at a port or airport you will pay upwards of € 40.00 possibly as high as € 75.00 per shipment. So you tell me, is a fee of €15.00 fair?
    As to the values declared to Customs by Revenue, the rules are very clear. Unless the commercial invoice accompanying the goods shows the correct INCO terms and / or the freight cost as a seperate item costs, as a customs clearance agent you have no choice but to add the freight costs to the value over which Duty and/or VAT has to be paid. It is therefore a rule, in the absence of clear evidence, that the freight cost is based on a (high) percentage of the standard tariff. The only way to avoid this is to make sure that your supplier issues a correct invoice to go with the shipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

It's not an post or dhl calculating the customs charge,only customs officers can do it,the only charge applied by the courier is the admin fee which varies. And it's required as there is a lot of admin work involved. Don't think any take card payments,cash or cheque only.

Also a receipt is usually on the parcel put there by customs in sticker form.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

For example let's say you buy something ~50 euro and use DHL. Looking at gearbest now and found something which is 50 euro and 13 euro shipping by DHL, not a small item either. There's a good chance DHL will overestimate the shipping cost, tax the total and add a 15 euro fee. Suddenly that 50 euro item now cost 100+ because of DHLs overestimate of shipping cost greatly increasing the taxes and the 15 euro/25% 'advance payment fee' (higher value parcels only pay 2.5% fee) this definitely isn't fair for the buyer.

Be very clear. Unless the freight cost is shown as a seperate line on the commercial invoice, the customs broker has no choice but to add freight costs. Therefore DHL - in the absence of hard evidence - has to add the standard tariff freight cost. End of argument. If you disagree you have to take your case to Revenue and submit proof that the value declared is wrong.
    To suggest that DHL (or other couriers) are taking liberties by charging for a service provided is seriously flawed and demonstrates a lack of understanding of Customs rules and regulation plus the work involved to process customs entries, bank guarantees required etc.
    I am not a fan of DHL. They are a major competitor in my industry. However, there is a real cost involved in providing a customs clearance service. And where I come from only the sun goes up for nothing.

It's not an post or dhl calculating the customs charge,only customs officers can do it,the only charge applied by the courier is the admin fee which varies. And it's required as there is a lot of admin work involved. Don't think any take card payments,cash or cheque only.

Also a receipt is usually on the parcel put there by customs in sticker form.

Im not sure what you mean hy the first line. Whoever prepares the entry in An Post/DHL/Fedex puts in the figures for cost, insurance and freight and the system will work out VAT and duty, if applicable. All duty rates are set by the EU, and Ireland sets its own VAT rates.
    A customs officer won't go near it in most cases, unless if goes for paperwork exam, or red channel for paperwork and physical examination.
    All processes are approved and subject to scrutiny by Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Im not sure what you mean hy the first line. Whoever prepares the entry in An Post/DHL/Fedex puts in the figures for cost, insurance and freight and the system will work out VAT and duty, if applicable. All duty rates are set by the EU, and Ireland sets its own VAT rates.
    A customs officer won't go near it in most cases, unless if goes for paperwork exam, or red channel for paperwork and physical examination.
    All processes are approved and subject to scrutiny by Revenue.

I see it all the time,it's customs officers who open packages and decide if a item is worth more than what it's officially costing,not a courier company, nothing to do with them,this is why the delay in reaching a customer sometimes, customs can't decide right away in sorting depots what to charge so do research then send out for delivery,a lot of the time it's decided once opened there and then.

Obviously this is for cases where a item is pretending to cost less than it does, particular regions send post not declaring proper value all the time. I suspect the bangood item is one of those items. And as such ,it's only a customs officer who can declare what's owed to revenue,it's never the courier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement