Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting via train from Kildare

Options
  • 18-04-2018 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    Currently working in South Kildare, 30 minute commute, don't love the job. Have been offered reduced hours in my old job in Dublin (loved the job). Basically I would be up at 6.15, driving 20 mins to Kildare train station, taking an early train to be at my desk in Dublin at 8, leaving Dublin at 2.50 to walk in my front door at 4pm. I have always been career oriented and the thoughts of staying in my current role is depressing. At the same time, the commute is a factor. Any train commuters out there care to share their perspectives?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Skibunny77 wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Currently working in South Kildare, 30 minute commute, don't love the job. Have been offered reduced hours in my old job in Dublin (loved the job). Basically I would be up at 6.15, driving 20 mins to Kildare train station, taking an early train to be at my desk in Dublin at 8, leaving Dublin at 2.50 to walk in my front door at 4pm. I have always been career oriented and the thoughts of staying in my current role is depressing. At the same time, the commute is a factor. Any train commuters out there care to share their perspectives?

Do you read or can you use the time on your train in a way that you would find useful or so you wouldn't feel like it was a waste?

Any opportunity to arrange to work from home even one day a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

lordgoat wrote: »
    Do you read or can you use the time on your train in a way that you would find useful or so you wouldn't feel like it was a waste?

Any opportunity to arrange to work from home even one day a week?

No work from home option initially, though it may be an option down the line. Struggling with this decision way more than I thought I would. Would happily read on the train if I got a seat! Or listen to podcasts. Suppose I hope the shorter working day would offset the effort of the commute.. As in I am up earlier but also home by 4pm as opposed my current 4.45 return to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I did it from Newbridge for a while and it was a killer. Up at 5.30, drive to train station, train to Heuston, bus to Dawson St, walk from there to Baggot St. Work from 8-5 and then reverse it all in the evening. Didn't get home til 7-ish.

Obviously you'll be leaving work a lot earlier but the commute itself is still a bitch. If I'd had the choice at the time I'd have just driven. Is that an option for you?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I did it from Newbridge for a while and it was a killer. Up at 5.30, drive to train station, train to Heuston, bus to Dawson St, walk from there to Baggot St. Work from 8-5 and then reverse it all in the evening. Didn't get home til 7-ish.

Obviously you'll be leaving work a lot earlier but the commute itself is still a bitch. If I'd had the choice at the time I'd have just driven. Is that an option for you?

Driving would be worse I think from all reports of the N7. The train would bring me to Heuston, and I would be working right beside St James so that's a ten minute walk. So 20 min drive to Kildare, train to Heuston and ten min walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Driving would be worse I think from all reports of the N7. The train would bring me to Heuston, and I would be working right beside St James so that's a ten minute walk. So 20 min drive to Kildare, train to Heuston and ten min walk.

Ok, that would be a lot more bearable so. It was the bus and the walk that killed me when I did it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Would you not drive to the luas and get the luas straight to James?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

lordgoat wrote: »
    Would you not drive to the luas and get the luas straight to James?

That would be painful - luas is always crowded and stops quite a bit.

Early train from Kildare Town = loads of seats, fast journey time to Heuston of less than 45min. The 7.17am train is just 33 min non stop, so if the employer is flexible on start time for say 8.15, this would be best option.

On the return, the 15.10 is less than 30 minutes non stop.

An absolute no brainer is you can utilise the 2 non stop services and get a taxsaver ticket and if the old employer want you, I'm sure they will agree an 8.15 start

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

CeilingFly wrote: »
    That would be painful - luas is always crowded and stops quite a bit.

Early train from Kildare Town = loads of seats, fast journey time to Heuston of less than 45min. The 7.17am train is just 33 min non stop, so if the employer is flexible on start time for say 8.15, this would be best option.

On the return, the 15.10 is less than 30 minutes non stop.

An absolute no brainer is you can utilise the 2 non stop services and get a taxsaver ticket and if the old employer want you, I'm sure they will agree an 8.15 start

How far are you from newbridge there might be more trains from that station ?. I have been doing it for 8 months. Leave house at 7.45.15 min drive to newbridge. Train at 8.02 (really 8.06 consistently.) At Heuston for 8.30. 20 min walk to work.it's grand the train is comfy, I find it less tiring than a long luas commute to the Dublin suburbs, even if the trains aren't as frequent.

Just be aware that the trains through kildare are usually 5 mins late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

DRice wrote: »
    How far are you from newbridge there might be more trains from that station ?. I have been doing it for 8 months. Leave house at 7.45.15 min drive to newbridge. Train at 8.02 (really 8.06 consistently.) At Heuston for 8.30. 20 min walk to work.it's grand the train is comfy, I find it less tiring than a long luas commute to the Dublin suburbs, even if the trains aren't as frequent.

Just be aware that the trains through kildare are usually 5 mins late.

More trains stop in Kildare than Newbridge as Kildare is a main station. Also if the trains are 5 mins late in Kildare the ones that stop in Newbridge will be 5 mins late too.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Definitely some flexibility from my employer around hours and I think enjoying the job, getting home at 4pm will hopefully outweigh the dreaded commute!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement