Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Maths

Options
  • 18-04-2018 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

There have been several posts recently expressing the view that small landlords are leaving the market. It can be hard to understand why this is happening when rents are at an all time high. I just want to set out a typical set of numbers for a landlord entering the business to show why becoming a landlord just does bot add up.

Typical 2 bed apartment in suburbs of Dublin. Cost €250,000. Stamp Duty €2,500 Legal costs and some initial renovations etc. €12,500. Total Cost of ownership €265,000. Mortgage of €180,000 (72% LTV over 20 years) and the balance from that spare €85,000 you have knocking around in your bank account. Rent €1750 per month - a yield of €8.4%.

Rent Income €21,000

Mortgage Interest €9,000
    Mortgage Capital Payments €5,244
    Apartment Complex charges €2,000
    Repairs/Maintenance €2,000
    RTB Registration € 90
    Other cost/contingency €2,000

Total expenditure (excl tax) €20,334

Tax (40%) €3,080
    PRSI (4%) € 308
    USC (8%) € 616

Total Tax €4,004

Total net cast outflow €3,334

So a landlord with an 8.4% yield and 100% occupancy has more cash outflow than cash inflow every year. The venture will (all going well) pay back the €180,000 mortgage over 20 years. However all this does come with risks. a rogue tenant could easily cost €50,000 between lost rent, legal costs and property damage and you need that in your bank account along with the €85,000 to set into the game. There is no guarantee rents wont fall over the next 20 years. The apartment complex may require significant works not covered by a sinking fund. You may not have full occupancy.

Compare that with putting the €3,334 into a pension scheme over 20 years . With tax relief, that is translates to €111k with no risk.

You may argue about some of my calculations, but overall I just wanted to show that it is difficult to make the finances stack up - even when you have significant cash to invest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The capital repayments aren't really an expenditure though, yes they have to be paid but they are not money lost they are money gone into an asset.

That said I do agree with the general sentiment of your post, there isn't necessarily great money to be made and there are a lot of risks (rental rates, property prices, bad tenants)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The capital repayments aren't really an expenditure though, yes they have to be paid but they are not money lost they are money gone into an asset.

That said I do agree with the general sentiment of your post, there isn't necessarily great money to be made and there are a lot of risks (rental rates, property prices, bad tenants)

What does it look like without capital repayments and mortgage repayments? Is it ever a good idea for individuals to take out leveraged investments? People were making "investments" in 2006 buying properties with leverage when the rental yields were less than the interest rates on the loans - that was bananas altogether.

Any return on the Investment was only ever going to come from capital gains and your example is no different. If your example came to fruition exactly for five years you'd have made roughly 30k in capital repayments so you'd owe the bank 30k less. You'd have paid out 20k for taxes (4k approx for five years). If the asset had increased by 10% in value over the five years this would all accrue to you (less any CGT and selling costs).

Part of the reason for the low net yield is the high tax which applies to all individual investors in all asset classes - shares, bonds etc (aside from EIIS schemes).

No question saving via a pension is very efficient and its still possible to get property exposure via funds especially if you go self directed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I think that small business buy to let landlords should sell up and I am happy that they are being incentivised to sell up.

When I was house buying I had to complete with buy to let landlords. I found this infuriating. I had to complete to buy a home that they wanted to make money out of but I wanted to sleep in it and make it a home and a place to live.

Landlords selling up their stock will calm house prices as more properties available.
    Renting of propertiesshould be done by large professional property management organisations that do a professional job and aimed at students and you g working people. Families should be buying.

Houses are for living in not making money out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

DubCount wrote: »
    . . . Compare that with putting the €3,334 into a pension scheme over 20 years . With tax relief, that is translates to €111k with no risk.
    Yes, but at the end of 20 years the landlord now owns an apartment, free of mortgage, which was initially worth €250k, but which presumably is now worth considerable more than that. So doesn't that make the apartment purchase the significantly better investment? Or am I missing something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cruizer101 wrote: »

)

This, this, a million times this.

So many got into the game, thinking that buy a property, rent it out and you'll see a nice monthly/yearly return with your mortgage covered completely.

This is not realistic unless you're buying a lot of property such as the funds are, or are paying in cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Without the requirement to leverage (mortgage) the investment. The number certainly improve

Rent Income €21,000

RTB Registration € 90

Total expenditure (excl tax) €6,090

Tax (40%) €5,964
    PRSI (4%) € 596
    USC (8%) € 1193

Total Tax €7,753

Total net cast Inflow €7,157

Thats about a 2.7% after tax return on your €265,000 spend. Its better than interest you would get in the bank, but still comes with all the risk previously mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Your figures are wrong as for tax purposes you can only deduct 80% of the interest paid (75% until last year). Capital allowances are not allowed to be deducted. Your figures are also based on current stamp duty rates and property prices at present which a lot of landlords paid in "the boom" which were higher. I'm hooefully about a year from getting out of being a landlord and never ever to return to it. Things to note:
    - 80% of mortgage interest only is deductible.
    - LPT is not deductable
    - If you have 2 or more properties and 1 is making a loss you can't deduct that loss from the one making a profit which you can with any other business.

There is a few more things to know but in general its impossible to make a decent return on it for the work involved annualy.

Without the requirement to leverage (mortgage) the investment. The number certainly improve

Rent Income €21,000

RTB Registration € 90

Total expenditure (excl tax) €6,090

Tax (40%) €5,964
    PRSI (4%) € 596
    USC (8%) € 1193

Total Tax €7,753

Total net cast Inflow €7,157

Thats about a 2.7% after tax return on your €265,000 spend. Its better than interest you would get in the bank, but still comes with all the risk previously mentioned.
    But that calculation also disregards the capital appreciation of the asset, which is in fact the main return that you can expect from buying a house or flat.

Plus, both calculcations assume that rent doesn't go up at all over the 20-year term. That's not very likely.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Yes, but at the end of 20 years the landlord now owns an apartment, free of mortgage, which was initially worth €250k, but which presumably is now worth considerable more than that. So doesn't that make the apartment purchase the significantly better investment? Or am I missing something?

leaving aside capital gains for the moment, the LL does own the property outright at the end of the 20 years. However, he/she initially invested €85,000 of the value. All he/she has gained in the paying off of the mortgage (€180,000). This is better than a risk free return, but its not risk free, and the risk is considerable.

The value of the property may increase/decrease over time, but that is true of any investment. There is no reason to suggest that a single property will outperform the capital gain of any other investments.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Also with rpz you may not be able to achieve maximum rent due to 4% cap, lots of landlords who had good tenants didn't push rents up during the difficult years and are now stung badly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Others have pointed out a few problems with your thoughts (including mortgage repayments, appreciation of asset etc), another is that pensions are risk free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Having €2000 for repairs maintenance and €2000 for other costs/contingency is excessive, especially in an apartment block where your €2000 maintenance fees should cover some of the big ticket costs of ownership like a new roof and outside painting.

Usually I think people underestimate those costs but €4kpa is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Mortgage Interest €9,000 Tax offset @75%; 6700
    Mortgage Capital Payments €5,244
    Repairs/Maintenance €2,000 Can be offset against tax and seems very high
    RTB Registration € 90
    Other cost/contingency €2,000 For what ? This is strange

Total expenditure (excl tax) €20,334

Tax (40%) €3,080
    PRSI (4%) € 308
    USC (8%) € 616

Others have pointed out a few problems with your thoughts (including mortgage repayments, appreciation of asset etc), another is that pensions are risk free.

There are some points raised about my calculations. I expected that. The idea was just to show that when you work through the maths, the returns are not wonderful, and there are safer ways of investing.

Pensions can in theory by risk free if the funds put in are retained in cash. I just used that as an illustration to show the best kind of risk free investment available (one which has an incentive in the tax code). Investing in riskier investments should generate more return over time, but a single property investment is inherently riskier due to a lack of diversification and our anti-landlord regulatory environment.

Other cost/contingency €2,000 For what ? This is strange

LPT, cost of an accountant to do your tax returns, any other services/contingencies you did not think about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

First of all - well done; you could be following print/radio/ TV media on property for ten years and not see this type of very basic analysis.

Second - I think your figures are slightly off - for example - there is a 2 bed for rent in GracePark Manor Drumcondra for EUR1700 currently; there is a 2 bed for sale for 325k.

Slightly off, but not far. I think you have undercooked buying prices by 15%-20% roughly.

Your costings look right.

The only other point, when comparing with a pension fund, is that you also have to consider the value of the deposit, in this case EUR70k, and the cost of Stamp Duty & Legals; when making that comparison.

Final point - pension schemes are not nil risk. It depends what the underlying investment is.

A pension fund isn't the appropriate comparison, I think. You get tax advantages from investing in a pension, but at the cost of accepting substantial restrictions on when and how you can access the investment. These don't apply to investing in a flat, which you can realise at any time by selling.

I think the appropriate comparison is between

(a) investing an initial sum representing the deposit, etc plus a monthly sum representing the net monthly cost for 20 years in a flat, and

(b) investing the same initial sum and monthly sum in a non-pension managed fund/unit trust/UCITS, with dividends.distributions reinvested.

I'd be reasonably optimistic that this comparison, on reasonable assumptions, will show the flat to be the better investment.

I take the point about diversity; the managed investment can be diversified but the flat cannot. And this does increase risk. But risk cuts both ways; buy the flat in an area that degrades or become less fashionable, which obviously can happen over 20 years, and your return is depressed. But buy it in an area which improves or becomes fashionable, which can also happen, and your return is enhanced.

LPT, cost of an accountant to do your tax returns, any other services/contingencies you did not think about

Insurance goes in there also presumably.

A pension fund isn't the appropriate comparison, I think. You get tax advantages from investing in a pension, but at the cost of accepting substantial restrictions on when and how you can access the investment. These don't apply to investing in a flat, which you can realise at any time by selling.

I think the appropriate comparison is between

(a) investing an initial sum representing the deposit, etc plus a monthly sum representing the net monthly cost for 20 years in a flat, and

(b) investing the same initial sum and monthly sum in a non-pension managed fund/unit trust/UCITS, with dividends.distributions reinvested.

I'd be reasonably optimistic that this comparison, on reasonable assumptions, will show the flat to be the better investment.

I take the point about diversity; the managed investment can be diversified but the flat cannot. And this does increase risk. But risk cuts both ways; buy the flat in an area that degrades or become less fashionable, which obviously can happen over 20 years, and your return is depressed. But buy it in an area which improves or becomes fashionable, which can also happen, and your return is enhanced.

I think its a reasonable comparison in that a lot of people are buying a house as a pension - but point is fair. You can sell the house at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

the LL does own the property outright at the end of the 20 years. .

Not if it's a interest only buy-to-let mortgage. Which is what we have. We won't own it unless we have the cash to pay the mortgage off. (We wont, and we'll be selling as soon as it's worth more than the mortgage amount.)

• Advertisement

Not if it's a interest only buy-to-let mortgage. Which is what we have. We won't own it unless we have the cash to pay the mortgage off. (We wont, and we'll be selling as soon as it's worth more than the mortgage amount.)

Very true and there are not enough interest only Buy2Let mortgages available in the Irish Market. The best I have come across is ICS and I think they charge 5.5% for it and have a max of 15 years duration.

The figures quoted in the OP are for a repayment mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

I don't know about that. You're extrapolating the explosive growth in house prices over the last 40 years into the future. We also know that more and more houses are going to be sold just to pay for nursing home care.

100% of current house owners will eventually be in need of care which they cannot provide for themselves.

In the last crisis, we sold off the pension fund in a manoeuvre to prop up house prices and it worked. I wouldn't assume it will happen thus when the next crisis appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Oh no theyre not!!!!

erudec wrote: »
    I don't know about that. You're extrapolating the explosive growth in house prices over the last 40 years into the future.
    No, I'm not. I'm just assuming that there will be some growth in property prices over any period of 20 years. The calculations in the OP assume no growth at all.
    erudec wrote: »
    We also know that more and more houses are going to be sold just to pay for nursing home care.

100% of current house owners will eventually be in need of care which they cannot provide for themselves.
    No, they won't. The great majority of us die while still living at home, and there is no reason to expect that this will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Tombo2001 wrote:
    I think its a reasonable comparison in that a lot of people are buying a house as a pension - but point is fair. You can sell the house at any time.

Assuming the house is paid off by the time of retirement then subsequent rental income is a useful supplement.

For many people who start pensions very late in life (private sector), this is probably a better bet. Though it would be an interesting comparison to see how maximising AVCs in that timeframe would fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Wesser wrote: »
    I think that small business buy to let landlords should sell up and I am happy that they are being incentivised to sell up.

When I was house buying I had to complete with buy to let landlords. I found this infuriating. I had to complete to buy a home that they wanted to make money out of but I wanted to sleep in it and make it a home and a place to live.

Landlords selling up their stock will calm house prices as more properties available.
    Renting of propertiesshould be done by large professional property management organisations that do a professional job and aimed at students and you g working people. Families should be buying.

Houses are for living in not making money out of.

thats what we what all rental property controlled by a few big property management companies. nothing could go wrong with that plan !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

thats what we what all rental property controlled by a few big property management companies. nothing could go wrong with that plan !

Nothing what so ever :pac:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/students-will-become-homeless-if-accommodation-rent-hikes-go-ahead-dcu-students-warn-837714.html

These type of companies are going to be able to get a decent little monopoly going over the student accommodation if we're not careful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

What percentage of the rent income does the taxman let you keep if you're making over 35K a year?

Advertisement