Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Team of the Year

• 18-04-2018 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭

De Gea
    Walker Vertonghen Otamendi Alonso
    D Silva De Bruyne Eriksen Salah
    Kane Aguero

ignore the positions, but that's the team.

Go nuts.

No Sterling or Firmino is dodgy IMO. I also think Tarkowski deserved a shout to represent Burnley's brilliant season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lb must be the weakest position in the PL . Alonso as a defender is awful but there aren't many alternatives Robertson hasn't played enough, Mendy has been injured.I'd have Ashley young as lb . I don't think Kane has been as good this year as in previous years despite posting impressive figures. His 25 goals have come in 15 games. I think firmino has had a better season. I'd also have either tarkowski or mee in at CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

SlickRic wrote: »
    De Gea
    Walker Vertonghen Otamendi Alonso
    D Silva De Bruyne Eriksen Salah
    Kane Aguero

ignore the positions, but that's the team.

Go nuts.

No Sterling or Firmino is dodgy IMO. I also think Tarkowski deserved a shout to represent Burnley's brilliant season.

How could you possibly fit Firmino in though? The two strikers there are simply better than him, as good as he's been.

As for Alonso, useless defender. Scores a few goals so people think he's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Should not have three Spurs players.

Otamendi should not be there.

Don't think Aquero should either. He has not been better than Firmino this season.

Sterling should be in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

DDG

Walker Otamendi Tarowski Davies

KDB Fernandinho Silva

Salah Kane Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

murpho999 wrote: »
    Should not have three Spurs players.

Otamendi should not be there.

Don't think Aquero should either. He has not been better than Firmino this season.

Sterling should be in too.

Sterling should definitely be there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Obviously Sterling and Firmino have the strongest cases to be included, but the second part of the argument is always who you would leave out for them.

I'd probably be inclined to put one in ahead of Aguero, but I don't think its outrageous to have Aguero in the team.

Marcos Alonso on the other hand! The LB position is a weak one this year but Ben Davies or Robertson are more deserving. I'd have Ashley Young before Alonso tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

How could you possibly fit Firmino in though? The two strikers there are simply better than him, as good as he's been.

As for Alonso, useless defender. Scores a few goals so people think he's good.

Agree RE: Alonso.

Kane and Aguero are better strikers than Firmino when at their best, but performance-wise, I don't think for a second that they've had better seasons. but sure, maybe I'm biased. and also, as Benimar says, it's not like it's outrageous anyway. Aguero is a grand pick.

Benimar wrote: »
    Obviously Sterling and Firmino have the strongest cases to be included, but the second part of the argument is always who you would leave out for them.

I'd probably be inclined to put one in ahead of Aguero, but I don't think its outrageous to have Aguero in the team.

Marcos Alonso on the other hand! The LB position is a weak one this year but Ben Davies or Robertson are more deserving. I'd have Ashley Young before Alonso tbh!

As a city fan, i wouldnt have Aguero anywhere near team of the year, not even in citys top 5 performers this year imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

POKERKING wrote: »
    As a city fan, i wouldnt have Aguero anywhere near team of the year, not even in citys top 5 performers this year imo.

Fernandinho is another that can probably feel hard done by, but these awards are often weighted to creative types and goalscorers (Kantinning the Player award being an exception last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd have Sterling over Aguero or Kane.
    Also, anyone thinking that Vertonghen is not deserving is plain wrong. He has been fantastic all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I wouldnt have Alonso in there at all, hes been pants for months, hes got a good free kick on him and hes useful in the air for set pieces in either box but hes a limited enough defender in open, slow to turn, cant beat a man is easily beaten himself one on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Otamendi shouldnt be there.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wouldnt have Alonso in there at all, hes been pants for months, hes got a good free kick on him and hes useful in the air for set pieces in either box but hes a limited enough defender in open, slow to turn, cant beat a man is easily beaten himself one on one.

Fantasy football clouding a lot of opinions there i reckon. The lack of alternatives the other. Id go for ben davies. Stephen Ward had an excellent first half of the season injury ruined second half

Sane is another that would have strong arguments to be included.

Fantasy football clouding a lot of opinions there i reckon. The lack of alternatives the other. Id go for ben davies. Stephen Ward had an excellent first half of the season injury ruined second half

Ya, probably.

I like Alonso but I'm hoping the ban sees Emerson given a shoot at LWB for us, it will probably be Zappacosta knowing Conte. :o

Anyway, I'd agree with Davies, maybe Robertson too but someone said earlier that LB was an issue in the PL, it probably is for quality when youre struggling to think of a player to pick over Alonso.

Mendy had he stayed fit, looking at how City played would have been a banker to make this team, maybe next year.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Agree RE: Alonso.

Kane and Aguero are better strikers than Firmino when at their best, but performance-wise, I don't think for a second that they've had better seasons. but sure, maybe I'm biased. and also, as Benimar says, it's not like it's outrageous anyway. Aguero is a grand pick.

Honestly I'm just a massive Aguero fanboy :o

His goal record this year is fantastic, second only to Salah per minute. I'd keep him, drop Kane if necessary but even then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Alonso plays as a wing back.....if they had to pick a Chelsea defender Id be having Azpilicueta....miles better......3 at the back and then have Sterling as a wing back on the left

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Should have gone 3ATB and ignored the LB position... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Re:Alonso... I don’t think there is many LB’s in the league to choose from, personally I’d have Davis or Robertson in there over him, hell I’d probably have young ahead of him this year. I’d also have TAA over Walker as I personally think he has been fantastic. Also shoehorning players into that line up so they can have 2 strikers imo.

Without trying to shoehorn players into positions just to make up the team Mine would be:

Ddg
    TAA-Vertonghan-Tarkowski-Davis
    Fernadinho
    KDB- Erikson
    Salah-Kane-Sane

It’s pretty crazy the players that are being left out of that line up, Firmino Aguero and D.Silva..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Robertson would probably have walked LB only for the fact that he didn't break into the Liverpool team until the Brighton match on December 2. I don't watch Chelsea every week but I get the impression from Chelsea fans that this has been Alonso's worst season at the club since he joined. Surely Azpilicueta would deserve it more from Chelsea too.

Firmino, Sterling, etc all unlucky. I'd have Firmino ahead of Aguero to be honest but not Kane. Lukaku probably deserves an honourable mention too

Otamendi I don't know. I know City have a great defensive record but it's down to how well they keep the ball rather than how good someone like Otamendi is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Robertson would probably have walked LB only for the fact that he didn't break into the Liverpool team until the Brighton match on December 2. I don't watch Chelsea every week but I get the impression from Chelsea fans that this has been Alonso's worst season at the club since he joined. Surely Azpilicueta would deserve it more from Chelsea too.

Firmino, Sterling, etc all unlucky. I'd have Firmino ahead of Aguero to be honest but not Kane. Lukaku probably deserves an honourable mention too

Otamendi I don't know. I know City have a great defensive record but it's down to how well they keep the ball rather than how good someone like Otamendi is.

Otamendi a huge reason they keep the ball so well.
    Best ball playing CB in the league along with VVD.

If Alderweirld had stayed on Pochs good side, he'd have been a shoe in for a CB spot, the guy is top quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Can’t argue with keeper, midfield or attack.
    Alonso and Otamendi? Meh.
    I don’t get the love for Walker at all. He’s good at getting forward, not that great when he gets there. His positioning is questionable, Walker stumbling behind an attacker seems to be an all too familiar sight in replays of goals against City.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Alderweirld had stayed on Pochs good side, he'd have been a shoe in for a CB spot, the guy is top quality.

If Van Dijk joined Liverpool last summer. He would be in it. Easily the best CB in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The defence is all over the place, not a fan of either fullback but it's not been a great year for fullbacks. Tarkowski should 100% be in there, ahead of either CB really.

my team

De Gea

Tarkowski Otamendi Van Dijk

Sterling De Bruyne Fernandinho Silva Salah

Firmino Kane

City & Liverpool by far had the best individual performers imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ashley Young or Ben Davies the only real contenders for LB, Robertson, Ward, Kolasinac and Delph, all probably missed too many games to get considered.

MD1990 wrote: »
    my team

De Gea

Tarkowski Otamendi Van Dijk

Sterling De Bruyne Fernandinho Silva Salah

Firmino Kane

City & Liverpool by far had the best individual performers imo.

Van Dijk had an awful first 6 months, ask Southampton fans. How can he be in that team?

MD1990 wrote: »
    If Van Dijk joined Liverpool last summer. He would be in it. Easily the best CB in the league.

I dont know about easily but he is good.

All things being equal, I'd probably prefer Alderweirld but VD will be even better with a full summer off and pre-season under his belt thats for sure.

• Advertisement

Van Dijk had an awful first 6 months, ask Southampton fans. How can he be in that team?

Any mistake in made in 1 or 2 games with Southampton was highlighted.
    Of course Southampton fans will say he was bad they hated him after the summer lol

He was good for Southampton bar 1 or 2 games. Look how poor they have been since he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sterling more than any player should feel unlucky not to get a place in that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why de feck are these polls done so early?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Van Djik wouldn't make the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Lukker- wrote: »
    Van Djik wouldn't make the bench

Agree 100%

His Carpentry skills arn't the best

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

VVD should be nowhere near a team of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sterling should definitely be there

I'd have had Same ahead of Sterling.

astradave wrote: »
    Re:Alonso... I don’t think there is many LB’s in the league to choose from, personally I’d have Davis or Robertson in there over him, hell I’d probably have young ahead of him this year. I’d also have TAA over Walker as I personally think he has been fantastic. Also shoehorning players into that line up so they can have 2 strikers imo.

Without trying to shoehorn players into positions just to make up the team Mine would be:

Ddg
    TAA-Vertonghan-Tarkowski-Davis
    Fernadinho
    KDB- Erikson
    Salah-Kane-Sane

It’s pretty crazy the players that are being left out of that line up, Firmino Aguero and D.Silva..

TAA has only played 16 games out of 34 how could he possibly make it? And a few of them he was exceptionally poor.

TAA has only played 16 games out of 34 how could he possibly make it? And a few of them he was exceptionally poor.

Absolutely he has done well for someone so young and that wasn't expected to play much. I think its a case of he had a couple of great CL games recently and a lovely assist at the weekend that is being remembered as opposed to what has gone on before. I think he will end up being a quality player but he should be nowhere near the discussion for team of the year.

Absolutely he has done well for someone so young and that wasn't expected to play much. I think its a case of he had a couple of great CL games recently and a lovely assist at the weekend that is being remembered as opposed to what has gone on before. I think he will end up being a quality player but he should be nowhere near the discussion for team of the year.

Agreed. He has it all ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Because he plays for Liverpool, enough justification for some folk in these parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Because he plays for Liverpool, enough justification for some folk in these parts.

Super generalisation there.

Astradave is a United supporter and I think he was the first person to mention TAA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yeah, that’s it, that’s what made the United fan in me decide him in the team.

@Pokerking... As I said in the post it was more a personal decision, and more about looking at what he has done breaking into a team that is high flying and looking every bit the part. Young players are always going to have bad games, but he has shown he has the mentality to put those behind him and push on, he will be a star.

Walker would naturally get the majority of the votes but I don’t think he has been as good as people say, especially defensively. I have nothing against people disagreeing with it and such as it’s just my opinion on TAA really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

DDG

Walker Otamendi Tarowski Davies

KDB Fernandinho Silva

Salah Kane Sterling

I would loose otamendi and go for Ben Mee instead.

Advertisement