Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

money transfer to USA

• 18-04-2018 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi
    I made a transfer to the USA from my AIB account In January & there is an option where I can choose to transfer so they will receive USD$200 & this is converted to the actual cost to me – so about €162 in today’s rates – plus their fee. I can’t remember the fee – but let’s say it’s about €20 so I pay €182.

However last time I did this the transfer received at the other end was significantly lower – around USD$150 instead of USD$200 as planned
    I know the fee is fairly high – but I accept this and expect $200 to be received by the family member.

I am just about to do the same now this weekend (for about $2000) & wanted some advice on the best and most transparent way to transfer. Is paypal better? Or western union?
    I really expected a bank transfer to be the best & these 2 to be for people who cannot do a bank transfer for some reason - but it hasn’t turned out that way.

They don't have IBAN's over there so it's a little trickier than transferring to a European country.

Speed of transfer isn't an issue - ie if it takes 10 days instead of 24 hours I'm fine with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's been a very long time since I did it, but I have a vague recollection of the American bank also taking a cut of the transfer. Non-bank methods would probably be better in every way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

All US banks will deduct their processing charges from the total amount received for incoming international wire transfers, it's unavoidable for wire transfers to the US

Amounts deducted will vary depending on the bank and the amount of the transfer, generally looking at $15 to $25 range

Advertisement