Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank owned property vandalised neighbours, responsibility?

Options
  • 18-04-2018 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm asking for a friend. Their neighbours put their house up for sale a few months ago. Turns out its now bank owned. They left a car abandoned in the driveway. A few days later the house was vandalised with graffiti, and the car set on fire. My friends car and garden planting was damaged by the fire. The estate agent had people round the very next day to clean up graffiti and remove the car.
    My friend has been on to the bank about fixing their car Etc and bank has said it's nothing to so with them. The damages come to nearly 2 grand and her car is only a year old so she's very upset.
    Does anyone know who's responsible for the damages so she knows who to chase?
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The vandals?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Whoever started the fire is responsible but good luck tracking them down... claim of her own insurance, that's what it's for. Shouldn't affect ncb as not her fault I would have thought, No?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whoever started the fire is responsible but good luck tracking them down... claim of her own insurance, that's what it's for. Shouldn't affect ncb as not her fault I would have thought, No?

Its no claims bones. That's a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

There might be some responsibility on the bank if it was left for a long period but if the neighbours left and a few days later the car was set on fire I can't see how they would be responsible.

A claim on insurance may have an effect on premium as they may view as more likely the car being damaged again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its no claims bones. That's a claim.
    Yea obviously but there are plenty of claim types that won't affect it. Fire damage claims tend to be exempt for example.
    https://www.axa.ie/help/question/what-claims-do-not-affect-no-dlaims-discount/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If the damage originated from the parked car being set on fire, your friend may wish to check if it had an insurance policy.

Plus check if the bank had details of an insurance policy on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Yea obviously but there are plenty of claim types that won't affect it. Fire damage claims tend to be exempt for example.
    https://www.axa.ie/help/question/what-claims-do-not-affect-no-dlaims-discount/

The damage may have been caused by fire but the cause of the fire was vandalism - I would expect NCB to be affected.

Regardless, the AXA deal is for policyholders renewing with AXA only - if you go to another insurer you will have to declare that you have made a claim and will be impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If the damage originated from the parked car being set on fire, your friend may wish to check if it had an insurance policy.

Plus check if the bank had details of an insurance policy on the house.

To be successful it would be necessary to demonstrate that the party holding an Insurance policy on the house was negligent - in this case persons unknown and not connected to the property set fire to a vehicle parked on the driveway - sorry there is no claim there.

thebiglad wrote: »
    To be successful it would be necessary to demonstrate that the party holding an Insurance policy on the house was negligent - in this case persons unknown and not connected to the property set fire to a vehicle parked on the driveway - sorry there is no claim there.

So if my neighbour's house goes on fire and sets mine alight I have no claim or is it because the fire originated from the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The gards haven't found anyone responsible for the fire and vandalism. The car wasnt insured or taxed. She thought since the bank took responsibility for the clean up and removal of the car, they have taken ownership of the incident? The fire happened on their land? Would the property not be insured? She can't really afford 2k or the massive price hike on losing ncb.
    Thanks for the feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Damage by fire spreading from your neighbour's property is something you have to insure against; you can't recover from your neighbour. The purpose of this rule is to allocate fire risk clearly so that people know what they needed to insure against.

If the fire was started by arson, as this one seems to have been, you can sue the arsonist (if you can identify him, of course) but not the owner of the property on which the arson was committed.

The bank has no liability here, I'm afraid. This is pretty much what you have insurance for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

So if my neighbour's house goes on fire and sets mine alight I have no claim or is it because the fire originated from the car?

You will, if you can prove the owner was negligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

Have a look at this and talk to a solicitor to see if you can make a claim under this section

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1981/act/9/section/5/enacted/en/html#sec5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Have a look at this and talk to a solicitor to see if you can make a claim under this section

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1981/act/9/section/5/enacted/en/html#sec5

Riot?!

Well if there were three or more people who caused the damage ? A solicitor might be able to advise if it's a worthwhile action to take? If the person had to claim their own insurance but got money back from the local authority wouldn't it be a bonus? No harm to explore it ?

Well if there were three or more people who caused the damage ? A solicitor might be able to advise if it's a worthwhile action to take? If the person had to claim their own insurance but got money back from the local authority wouldn't it be a bonus? No harm to explore it ?

Well if there were three or more people who caused the damage ? A solicitor might be able to advise if it's a worthwhile action to take? If the person had to claim their own insurance but got money back from the local authority taxpayer wouldn't it be a bonus? No harm to explore it ?
    :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If the fire occurred accidentally, no claim.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1943/act/8/section/1/enacted/en/html#sec1

In the case of deliberate fire it would have to be proved that the owner was negligent. Only in very rare circumstances is there liability in Tort for the criminal acts of another.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm asking for a friend. Their neighbours put their house up for sale a few months ago. Turns out its now bank owned.
    Houses don't generally magically becomes bank owned. I'm sure they were aware when it became bank owned.
    They left a car abandoned in the driveway.
    Why did they abandoned the car at a house they do not own?
    The estate agent had people round the very next day to clean up graffiti and remove the car.
    Where is the car now?
    My friend has been on to the bank about fixing their car
    The bank did not burn the car, so why would the bank pay to have the car fixed?
    The damages come to nearly 2 grand and her car is only a year old so she's very upset.
    If the car is only a year old, it must have gotten damaged very little if it's only 2 grand of damage.
    The vandals. Or perhaps the person who abandoned the car at a property that they don't own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Our house was owned by a bank before we bought it. We were waiting 17 months for the sale to go through. What finally got the bank to get their finger out was that one of the trees on the property came down in a storm & damaged our neighbours gate & fence which the bank had to pay to have repaired, after that the bank just wanted shot of the property & liability for any further damage.
    I would definitely look further into it if I were your friend, maybe get some professional advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Damage by fire spreading from your neighbour's property is something you have to insure against; you can't recover from your neighbour. The purpose of this rule is to allocate fire risk clearly so that people know what they needed to insure against.

If the fire was started by arson, as this one seems to have been, you can sue the arsonist (if you can identify him, of course) but not the owner of the property on which the arson was committed.

The bank has no liability here, I'm afraid. This is pretty much what you have insurance for.

Do you think it would be property insurance or car insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The damage is to her car. Standard basic car insurance is third party, fire and theft, so this will be covered on her car insurance.

If she also has house insurance (which presumably she does) and if it extends to property on the premises when the fire occurs (which would be standard) there is going to be an exclusion for cars, which are separately insured. If she tries to claim on her house insurance they'll almost certainly knock her back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

So unlike some poor unfortunate people, you have identified the vehicle and the owner!? But yet you can't claim of them.. Well that's what everyone here seems to think.
    So what about all these advertisements by insurance companies: If you've been hit by an uninsured driver etc etc...
    Would your friends 'incident' not fall under that category??
    She should at least be able to claim of her own insurance and not effect he ncb?

So unlike some poor unfortunate people, you have identified the vehicle and the owner!? But yet you can't claim of them.. Well that's what everyone here seems to think.
    So what about all these advertisements by insurance companies: If you've been hit by an uninsured driver etc etc...
    She should at least be able to claim of her own insurance and not effect he ncb?

Per post 11 the other car was not insured and she is trying to avoid claiming on her own.
    not effecting the NBC is company specific and if you try to move companies you have to say yes to the prior claims question.
    Plus on some policies it's an add on option you pay for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The car went on fire on private property. The compulsory insurance regime only applies to public places and the uninsured/unidentified driver provisions only apply in situations where there should have been compulsory insurance but wasn't.
    Some insurers might be sympathetic regarding claims history in the circumstances.

Advertisement