Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We all make mistakes - here's mine

Options
  • 18-04-2018 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi All,

Well I'd like to tell you about a costly mistake I have made , and ask for advice and opinions on the best course of action.

Last January 2017 , I sent two of our minibuses in to storage.
    I then sold one minibus and kept the 2nd better unit.

This year we had need for some extra vehicles and I paid the storage fee's and sent this minibus off for its CVRT (commercial version of the NCT).

The bus is now all certified and ready to work. All good so far.

And now, from talking to a friend of mine , I learn that I should have declared the vehicle off the road *before* taking it off the road.

The last time I did this you simply self-certified the vehicle off the road and got a Garda to sign a form.

So now I think I may be liable for last years and this years bus tax.

I'm wondering what (if any) options there might be.
    This particular bus is the last vehicle still registered in my personal name , so I am wondering can I sell this bus to my limited company, and then proceed to tax the vehicle ? this would be in line with taxing it while on the road.

I plan on taking the Luas up to the tax office and asking there tomorrow , but in the mean time I thought that I'd throw this out to the forum for any advice.

tl/dr : Didn't declare vehicle off the road, may have to pay 2 years motor tax.

*mods , I'd like to keep this post in this forum please

Thanks in advance,
    Sysprog
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Two options IMO
    1. Make a case to the Motor Tax Office, showing receipt for storage and hope that a junior official will go out on a limb for you and write off 2 yrs motor tax.
    2. Sell the vehicle to the LTD co and the back-tax is not a problem for the Ltd Co.
    I know what I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

thanks as always Pedro. I was thinking along the same lines.

Cheers,
    Sys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

From memory (I know someone who did this with a car, similar position, she was working abroad and the car was in storage) you will have to get a form signed by a main dealer of the vehicle that shows its VIN. etc. and you might also need a bill of sale. If your Co. Sec has a different name to you I get him/her to do the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

Well a quick call to the dept of Transport sorted me out. It seems I need to sign the company name on the transfer of ownership and they will accept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

HA! THAT'S not a mistake.
    That's a hiccup.

I'll tell you about a mistake ... if you've got 2 hours and a big bucket for me to cry into.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,106 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I was waiting and waiting for the huge mistake but it never came. Just change name and tax it.

Advertisement