Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden design: rotavate or grass turf?

Options
  • 18-04-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Would anybody have any suggestions for repairing this garden? The lumps of soil are from digging a hole to build that wall. A fire was also lit in the garden, hence the burn marks.
    Should I rotavate it, and if so would anybody have a recommendation for a brand/model of rotavator that would be sturdy enough to hire for the day?

Somebody also suggested that I buy grass turf in B&Q, which apparently is not expensive. What would views be on that, and would that negate the need to rotavate it? [are there better prices and/or grass than B&Q?)

I hope to start this on Friday as it's meant to be good weather.

Ideally I hope to be able to put granite stone across the existing block wall and do a rockery and seating area beside it. Anybody know where I could buy granite suitable for that task? (Many of the public walls around southeast Dublin use the granite I'm thinking of, but I don't know where they are being bought from).

1j3uqv.jpg

2ai9ms.jpg

2nhgns2.jpg

106nj9t.jpg

lkykj.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I'd suggest you do your path / rockery / water feature / shed / washing line first.

I wouldn't lash out too much on machine hire / roll out grass yet.

Your existing grass doesn't seem too bad, and if you keep it that will allow you to put in the "hard stuff" and not create a total mud heap. It looks as though some of it was under cover until recently and that may make it look worse than it is.

What is your expertise gardening / building wise.
    If you did the wall yourself, you look as though the path / rockery is within your scope.

Hope this helps, there are others with more expertise/experience than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Problem with granite cladding that wall is that you'd be adding weight to one side, and it might not be up to it. And then someone will get hurt.

How about corten steel?

http://www.cortensteelproducts.ie/corten-steel-ireland-gallery.html

Or a wooden fence. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would think seriously about putting grass there at all. You have hedges on all sides, it really can't get much sun, why fight with the situation? You could make a very pleasing area growing semi-shade and shade plants in pots, planters and so on. I would re-think the rockery in that position too (what direction does it face?) It could end up being an endless battle for a rather sad affair, whereas building granite planters beside the wall would give you the granite structure effect without threatening the wall, you could grow climbers towards the top of the wall from the planters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Who built the wall by the way? I only see piers at either end, that's quite a long wall not to have piers in between for stability. I wouldn't like to stand beside it on a stormy day anyway...

Advertisement