Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you shower every day?

Options

Comments

Twice a week if I'm sleeping in it every night.

I was just thinking that's next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I love some of these hotel water pressure for their showers - now thats what you call a 'power shower' - sure if I go away and its a decent enough hotel I make sure I make good use of the powerful shower there - must be powerful commercial pumps they use

We got a new bathroom, threw the bathtub out, put a power shower in with a pump just for the shower, it's the best thing ever! Whenever we stay with the inlaws and their poxy electric shower that's more a drizzle like a shower... let's say it drives me insane.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Candie wrote: »
    What if you swim in the morning and go for a run in the evening? Am I supposed to get into bed without washing after running because I copped myself on?

How much you shower is dependent on what you're up to.

Cop on Candie, you need to run while you swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I take a proper shower about 2 - 3 times a week. In between, I rinse off, wash the vital parts and use dry shampoo.

LirW wrote: »
    We got a new bathroom, threw the bathtub out, put a power shower in with a pump just for the shower, it's the best thing ever! Whenever we stay with the inlaws and their poxy electric shower that's more a drizzle like a shower... let's say it drives me insane.

Lovely, there's nothing like it. :)

The last place I lived had poor pressure, but my bathroom now has a more powerful pump and fantastic pressure. It gives me a mild beating (in a good way), and rinses my long hair in less than a minute. I love it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

You need:

1. Solar panels (they do actually work and reduce the bill a lot if they're installed right and south facing.) The top up heat can come from your gas / oil central heating and should be ideally on a priority circuit that runs at a much higher temp than your radiators for quick heat transfer.

2. A large attic tank (especially if you've a few people showering in quick succession).

3. A large hot water cylinder (that is properly and seriously insulated. Not just one of those copper things with a lagging jacket.)

4. A proper dual-head shower pump (and ideally located somewhere that's not going to be a noise problem.)

5. A good thermostatic valve.

That'll give you a perfect shower every time.

It seems to me that a lot of Irish builders just whack in an electric shower on low pressure as an after thought and don't give a toss what way it works as long as they tick a box.

I find it crazy that people spend a fortune on the bathroom fittings, decor and so on and then put in a shower that really should be called "an electric trickle".

I'm not even convinced those ultra low pressure showers even save much water. You spend about 4 times as long in them trying to rinse the soap off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

And now the thread is complete :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

So far, the thread is going better than expected and my Bingo card for Shower threads is almost full.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have a shower in work after cycling in.

Would run most days off so would have a shower then.

Might go a day without showering if I’m just sitting home doing fck all.

Showers would be very brief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No. For me, it's pointless for three reasons.

1) I don't work in manual labour / do a physically intensive job
    2)I don't exercise EVERY day
    3) I'm one of the lucky few that don't start to smell like a boiled shíte 3 hours after having a shower. There are loads of those people and they should definitely shower once a day, probably twice. And before anyone tells me I'm unaware of my own stench, believe me I'd be told long ago if my theory wasn't sound because I live with hygiene freaks!

I imagine the above fits the bill for lots of people, especially over the winter months. But like many other areas of modern life, the consensus now is we need to be scrubbing the bejaysus out of ourselves around the clock and if we aren't, we're next to savages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Greyfox wrote: »
    Anybody showering more than once a day needs to cop on to themselves as it's a complete n utter waste of time, I wonder have they have nothing better to do. Showering 5 times a week is grand for most people

you imagine if the water was metered now, that would have an effect on how many times you showered - mind you they say a shower is more economical than a bath. I think they are talking normal non-pumped/non power shower though.

kylith wrote: »
    Gods, I love those things. I'd love a shower at home that'd flay the flesh from your bones. You feel proper clean after one of them.

me too - its only when you get home you notice your own shower is like a wet fart compared to the power they give. the soap is like washed out of your hair in nano-seconds with those hotel power showers.

Candie wrote: »
    What if you swim in the morning and go for a run in the evening? Am I supposed to get into bed without washing after running because I copped myself on?

How much you shower is dependent on what you're up to.

wink wink, nudge nudge say no more .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Thread disappoints. At this stage there’s usually someone who has confessed to-
    ~ a monthly rub down with a cloth
    ~ I’ve never been told I smell
    ~ underpants only need to be changed once a week
    ~ what did our parents do back in the day and sure aren’t they grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you imagine if the water was metered now, that would have an effect on how many times you showered - mind you they say a shower is more economical than a bath. I think they are talking normal non-pumped/non power shower though.
    yea, because you'd rather not shower for the sake of 5c * worth of water !

I think you need a new job, or a higher allowance from your parents, if 5c can make or break your weekly budget.

*calculation based on actual cost of water in Munich of 0.16c per litre, a city of same size as Dublin, using 30L of water for the shower, which to me is seems a little on the high side . NOTE: water is still cheap even if you have to pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Thread disappoints. At this stage there’s usually someone who has confessed to-
    ~ a monthly rub down with a cloth
    ~ I’ve never been told I smell
    ~ underpants only need to be changed once a week
    ~ what did our parents do back in the day and sure aren’t they grand

You forgot that having sex does not make me smell bad. My partner never complains. And a nice segway in to washing clothes or bed clothes once a month.

yea, because you'd rather not shower for the sake of 5c * worth of water !

I think you need a new job, or a higher allowance from your parents, if 5c can make or break your weekly budget.

*calculation based on actual cost of water in Munich of 0.16c per litre, a city of same size as Dublin, using 30L of water for the shower, which to me is seems a little on the high side . NOTE: water is still cheap even if you have to pay for it!

youd be surprised with the mentality with some people - their mentality could just be "oh, now the water is metered and we have to pay for it there will be less showers, we will have to save water!" ... - how much (little) would have no bearing with some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'm just here waiting for nox and the big sh1tshow that will result of him talking about his hygiene.

You'll smell him coming before he posts.

• Advertisement

Gosh, when I think back to 60s/70's - one bath a week on a Sunday evening before bed (showers were foreign/only people on continental europe have showers installed) ... and even then I had to share my brothers bath water - he was older than me so he got the bath water first! , always lukewarm when it came to me taking a bath ... not saying we were poor but our bubble bath was washing up liquid!

Thinly veiled "I've a shower" thread. How on earth did we survive without daily bathing in the good old days of mass emigration, mass unemployment and mass on Sunday (and none of that Saturday night mass nonsense), when we were thrown in two or three at a time to share the same bath every Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

Andy; Just for you, I've just checked my records ..... I last had a shower on 12-2-15 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm just here waiting for nox and the big sh1tshow that will result of him talking about his hygiene.
    nox001 wrote: »
    Nope, still not seeing the need for this ritual of a shower every morning. Every second or third evening does me just fine. The thought of having to get up and have a morning shower is depressing never mind every morning.

Showering is an obsession for some going by this thread.

We aren't dogs, I don't tend to have people sniffing my arse.
    nox001 wrote: »
    A few drops of piss, who cares. Two days is perfectly acceptable for boxers.

Paging pissypants nox001 to the rotters thread, that’s pissy pants nox001 to the rotters thread please

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thinly veiled "I've a shower" thread. How on earth did we survive without daily bathing in the good old days of mass emigration, mass unemployment and mass on Sunday (and none of that Saturday night mass nonsense), when we were thrown in two or three at a time to share the same bath every Saturday night?

When everyone stinks, no-one stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Stigura wrote: »
    Andy; Just for you, I've just checked my records ..... I last had a shower on 12-2-15 :)

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gosh, when I think back to 60s/70's - one bath a week on a Sunday evening before bed (showers were foreign/only people on continental europe have showers installed) ... and even then I had to share my brothers bath water - he was older than me so he got the bath water first! , always lukewarm when it came to me taking a bath ... not saying we were poor but our bubble bath was washing up liquid!

Going back to the 40s here! My first memories are of a tin bath in front of the fire that had heated the water..

every family had a set of three tin baths...

Then a new house with a bath and Saturday was bath and hairwash night... , using the water my mother had bathed in,,,

Here the shower does not work; the council have promised to instal a bath instead but i am not holding my breath

So it is back to a bowl etc. Which is fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Shower and shave every morning. Don’t feel right otherwise. I give the undercarriage special attention if I’m going out on the pull on a Friday or Saturday night. Get the shower head in there and ensure everything is spick and span. Then check the bell to make sure no gunk has gathered there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Thread has me thinking now, I had a shower at 3.30am this morning before I went to a job interview, been sitting in the good suit doing nothing but drink tae all day, and now I have to go to a wake.

Shower again or not?

Advertisement