Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you shower every day?

Options

Comments

So people having a shower in the morning is an “obsession with showers”, classic boards

People saying they don’t shower everyday as “they don’t smell”, your colleagues probably have a different opinion.

Showering every day is not an obsession, it’s basic hygiene, and a basic courtesy shown to everyone you are likely to meet that day

Don’t be that smelly person that doesn’t realize they smell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I think if you are sitting all day in an office, 2 showers per day is a must!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

My grandmother didn’t have a shower but she smelt of soap. And it wasn’t soap masking odours. Soap was it. I associated a very clean soapy smell with age for a while.

That generation had a fairly rigorous cleaning procedure. I should say she was born in 1915 I think.

my wife says that TCP smell reminds her of her Granny .... used to bathe in the stuff she said (yeah the mind boggles) ... she used to have no running water inside the house nor a bathroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

my wife says that TCP smell reminds her of her Granny .... used to bathe in the stuff she said (yeah the mind boggles) ... she used to have no running water inside the house nor a bathroom

Yeh it was kinda tcp smelling - but some class of medical soap I think.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I think if you are sitting all day in an office, 2 showers per day is a must!

Working outdoors, just one is needed?

• Advertisement

So people having a shower in the morning is an “obsession with showers”, classic boards

People saying they don’t shower everyday as “they don’t smell”, your colleagues probably have a different opinion.

Showering every day is not an obsession, it’s basic hygiene, and a basic courtesy shown to everyone you are likely to meet that day

Don’t be that smelly person that doesn’t realize they smell

agree - and your profile name is a positive too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bath night on Saturday. That’s it for me.

yeah i think i remember that type of soap ... was it dettol or izal or something like that i think if i remember that used to smell medicated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Working outdoors, just one is needed?

I've never had a job which entails been outdoors, so I wouldn't know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

yeah i think i remember that type of soap ... was it dettol or izal or something like that i think if i remember that used to smell medicated

I think it was Wrights Coal Tar.

• Advertisement

flipsat wrote: »

yes thats it - loved the smell of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

Me too. Hated the smell of Lifebouy soap.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I've never had a job which entails been outdoors, so I wouldn't know. :)

You seemed to specifically say two showers are needed for office workers. Do you mean during the day?

Or do you think if people don’t shower at night showering in the morning is pointless?

I sometimes shower before bed for reasons beyond the scope of this thread but if I don’t i can still get clean with a vigourous morning shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I can't get the obsession with showering every day if your not exerting yourself. Ye must have money to burn :P

Just use your wipes money to pay the lecky bill instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Love a shower before bed, scrub, wash my hair, exfoliate, hair mask, face mask, jammies and bed. A body shower in the morning to feel awake clean and ready to start the day. If the weather is manky hot or I’ve been busy and feel sweaty I might have a third shower. Rarely would have three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

its been said (although i have never given it a go ... might put it on my bucket list if I ever get one) that if you dont wash your hair on week number 2 of it being filthy and maggotty it actually starts washing itself - science/nature is incredible innit?

i think Rastafarians never wash their locks ...

They had a dude on one of those "how manky are you" shows on TV a few years ago and he never washed his dreads. They took a sample and he basically had the medical waste bin of an infectious disease hospital on his head. He had diseases in there that haven't been spoken about since the dark ages.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

There's a book called How to be a Tudor and apparently the author and a fellow historian secretly decided to replicate the frequency of washing of the era and see what the results were. Basically they hummed a lot less than expected.

What they found was that as long as they changed the clothes next to the skin, there was no noticeable odour even if they put those clothes over unwashed skin. But if the clothes were unwashed, or worn repeatedly next to the skin, then the person would stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Carbolic! Old style,,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Carbolic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Hygiene threads are the worst! PS I shower once a month and wipe my arse with my hand!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I take a bath on Tuesdays and Fridays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, that was the most popular brand Ireland. It's a form of carbolic but not as harsh. I can smell it now just thinking about it.

The well-to-do used Lifebuoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Usally once a day, sometimes twice.

Do many people use soap bars anymore?

Just thinking there with all this talk of soap and I think the only soap bar I've seen in a long time was in a grandparents house. Everyone seems to go for the liquid soap and shower wash now. I wonder if it's slowly dying out in it's solid form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Candie wrote: »

Just thinking there with all this talk of soap and I think the only soap bar I've seen in a long time was in a grandparents house. Everyone seems to go for the liquid soap and shower wash now. I wonder if it's slowly dying out in it's solid form.

We have both in the bathroom. The little guest soaps. We use the liquid mostly but the grandchild go for the bar of soap, as it's a real novelty for them. The liquid gives a better choice for antibacterial, scent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I always use a bar of soap first and a facecloth for the first cleanse, then switch to shower gel and one of those puffy things for the second going over!

I always use a bar of soap first and a facecloth for the first cleanse, then switch to shower gel and one of those puffy things for the second going over!

I guess it's not dying out so. :)

I like the puffy scrubby things, but I find the Korean spa cloths easier to use and a bit scrubbier. I do one scrub from the head down, rinse, then scrub from the feet up. Great for the circulation. I love my showers in the morning!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Carbolic! Old style,,

our local farmer co-op store still sell bars of that carbolic soap

Hygiene threads are the worst! PS I shower once a month and wipe my arse with my hand!!!:rolleyes:

think in india or pakistan or someone like that their toilet sewer pipes are too small to flush toilet paper along with poo , so they wipe their botty with their hand, left hand i think (they leave their right hand free for shaking hands with other people) ...

• Advertisement

I regularly use Palmolive - cheap as chips for 4 bars .. mind you now with talk of Wrights coal tar soap when i run out of palmolive I think I will get a bar of that Wrights soap , love the smell of that (or used to)

I cannot understand the idea of that white soap without any smell .. Dove isnt it?

Advertisement