Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud server question

Options
  • 18-04-2018 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are a small start-up company in Ireland that has 7 offices in the UK with approx. 50ish staff in total.

I was the first employee in Ireland and the connection to the server(s) in the UK was too slow so I worked of my laptop and One Drive account so that everything was backed up.

Now I have another staff member and we need somewhere centralised where we can save information and work on files and documents that are saved there. Access to the server in the UK is still too slow over the VPN.

Just wondering what are the best cloud-based systems out there and would we still need an on-site server of sorts?

Thanks,

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Have you looked into purchasing a NAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Dropbox for business os pretty good, so long as people don't need to work on the same files at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You can set up Onedrive to work across your network. If you're using files other than Microsoft ones you can work on them locally and in the background they'll synch with the server version. If using Office files you can do the same, or work directly with the server version and you can work on them simultaneously.

Are your issues related to your local internet speeds, or a poor server? What kind of work are you doing as it may have a bearing on your solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Thanks for the responses.

We are a fire engineering consultancy so work a lot with drawings (PDF editing software and AutoCAD) and MS Word files and Excel.

At the moment all we have is a server in the UK that is too slow to access and our own two laptops.

I like OneDrive so it would be my preference to try to get that to work.

What we need is somewhere to keep our information and work on the files while they are stored there and it be backed-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dubsey wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.

We are a fire engineering consultancy so work a lot with drawings (PDF editing software and AutoCAD) and MS Word files and Excel.

At the moment all we have is a server in the UK that is too slow to access and our own two laptops.

I like OneDrive so it would be my preference to try to get that to work.

What we need is somewhere to keep our information and work on the files while they are stored there and it be backed-up.
    If you already O365 subscriber, business plans have SharePoint included - the way to go if you already paying.
    If only have OneDrive it also could be used to share files/folders
    SharePoint has 1 TB storage and centralized access/permission management so you/administrator can set who has what access to what.

Where OneDrive or SharePoint is not backup solution you would imagine that Microsoft would have multiple copies of your data stored in multiple locations across EU/World to provide high availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Hi,

The only issue I see with share point is that it may not be possible to open and work on non-Microsoft office applications online.

Now if by opening it online saved a copy locally even for non-Microsoft applications to allow you to work on it than that would be ace but I suspect that this wouldn’t be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dubsey wrote: »
    Hi,

The only issue I see with share point is that it may not be possible to open and work on non-Microsoft office applications online.

Now if by opening it online saved a copy locally even for non-Microsoft applications to allow you to work on it than that would be ace but I suspect that this wouldn’t be the case?
    Have look at this. I have not tested myself, only pointing direction.

Advertisement