Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing to give extra key

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

....... wrote: »
    Just say you lost the keys. Get a new set. Pay for them.

I'm confident the LL/agent/fund has heard that song before, if you go to the trouble and expense of installing security locks of that type, you do it specifically to discourage what the op is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

....... wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

And if ires change locks and provide 2 new keys billing the tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

awec wrote: »
    It seems every single problem that every tenant has now is just blamed implicitly on the government.

Tenants who rent from these large property companies have the benefit of renting from professional landlords who know what they are doing. Who perform maintenance in a timely manner. Who respond to requests in a timely manner.
    ...like the reasonable and valid request the OP made for a key?

Pkiernan wrote: »

How is this reasonable and valid? Lease says only named tenants will be supplied with security key, sister is not named, not a tenant and not paying rent. Why would you think she would be entitled to a key?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Two named people on the lease = two sets of keys.

Why would they give a third set?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

davo10 wrote: »
    Strange thread,

Op, the key is a secondary issue, you want to move another adult into your property rent free.

How does the above matter to a landlord? They moved in at a given rate for full use of the apartment. They have a spare room in their apartment. They can use it as they see fit (so long as not sub letting it). This is exactly why landlords have a bad name. Thankfully my landlord is never seen (he gets paid on time and I look after the upkeep of the place) and he has no issue with my family members stopping in be it for a few days or semi permanent. Either way it is none of his concern.

Landlord is being unreasonable IMO. Keys should be cut and billed to the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Agree with landlord as you are illegally subletting in effect and the landlord has to ensure any extra party is named on the lease by law. You can add her as a licencee to the lease and remove once leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

How is this reasonable and valid? Lease says only named tenants will be supplied with security key, sister is not named, not a tenant and not paying rent. Why would you think she would be entitled to a key?

Calm down FFS. I said the request is reasonable. I didn't mention entitlements.

Keyboard warriors at it again. Get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sourcream wrote: »
    I do see the landlords side to this actually. Makes sense.

Still I need to solve this problem.

I believe that with no clause in my current lease concerning keys, I am entitled to change the locks myself. And go from there.

I can figure out the key fob issue separately.

You are not remotely entitled to do such a thing.. are you nuts!?

Calm down FFS. I said the request is reasonable. I didn't mention entitlements.

Keyboard warriors at it again. Get a life.

But is isn't reasonable nor valid, the op has stated what the terms of the lease are, pointing that out isn't being a "keyboard warrior".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

but they have a spare set, they have two.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How does the above matter to a landlord? They moved in at a given rate for full use of the apartment. They have a spare room in their apartment. They can use it as they see fit (so long as not sub letting it). This is exactly why landlords have a bad name. Thankfully my landlord is never seen (he gets paid on time and I look after the upkeep of the place) and he has no issue with my family members stopping in be it for a few days or semi permanent. Either way it is none of his concern.

Landlord is being unreasonable IMO. Keys should be cut and billed to the tenant.

It matters because more people mean more wear and tear

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A spare set of keys is totally reasonable. And valid.

The bigger letting agents that I do work for will only issue one set of keys and fobs per name on the lease, especially in apartment blocks with high security keys.
    Arrangements regarding keys between private landlords and their tenants is between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sure move ten friends in then if none of this matters to the landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

lawred2 wrote: »
    Sure move ten friends in then if none of this matters to the landlord

funnily enough that happens a lot. Landlords are getting waayyy stricter on this due to a lot of incidents where they rent a 1 bed apartment to a couple and return a few months later to find 8 Brazilians living there in bunk beds.

Im not picking on Brazilians, but those students really do not care where they live, they will pile in to any amount of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...It's probably just company policy from a "professional" letting company....

...your problem will be finding someone in it who treats you as a person not number on a spreadsheet...

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

As a tenant? Of course not.

Anyway, the OP doesn't want a spare set. They want their house guest to be given building access and a set of keys to their apartment for a number of months.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The bigger letting agents that I do work for will only issue one set of keys and fobs per name on the lease, especially in apartment blocks with high security keys.
    Arrangements regarding keys between private landlords and their tenants is between them.
    Indeed.

It would be pretty bizarre for someone who is not on the lease for any unit in the building to have permanent access to the building. Even workmen have to be let in and out by maintenance staff or sign a key in and sign it out.

And people think the management company will just give access to someone who is pretty much a random person and totally unaccountable to them? Crazy.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    It matters because more people mean more wear and tear

Which is covered by a deposit.... None of the landlords business......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

wear and tear for 2 people not 3 people

godtabh wrote: »
    wear and tear for 2 people not 3 people

Does it say 2 people only in his lease? A deposit will cover any wear and tear.... 2 3 or 20 people the tenant is responsible for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

beauf wrote: »
    ...It's probably just company policy from a "professional" letting company....

...your problem will be finding someone in it who treats you as a person not number on a spreadsheet...

Isnt this what lots of people here have been praising?, getting rid of the "amateur" landlords and making them all large professional organisations.

Well this sounds like one of the side effects.

It's not really asking for a "spare" set though is it? There are two sets of keys (and probably more importantly secure key fobs to the building/car park), one for each named tenant. What they are asking for is another set so they can move someone else in. To any decent management agency this would be a massive red flag that there is subletting going on.

When I rented apartments in the UK with key fobs etc. I got one non-copyable set only and there was a 24hr number to call if you were locked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Its very much his business, its his property. He has every right to dictate what happens with his property, or to delegate those decisions to the letting agency.

funnily enough that happens a lot. Landlords are getting waayyy stricter on this due to a lot of incidents where they rent a 1 bed apartment to a couple and return a few months later to find 8 Brazilians living there in bunk beds.

Im not picking on Brazilians, but those students really do not care where they live, they will pile in to any amount of space.

The curse of "Rent to let".

I rented a place in the West End in London and somebody had a 2-bed apartment sub-let to a group of Koreans. As there were no extra keys to the building allowed they'd try to tailgate in or block/break the outer access door. Absolute PIA but the agents got rid of them soon enough.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Its very much his business, its his property. He has every right to dictate what happens with his property, or to delegate those decisions to the letting agency.

Pretty sure that outside of the letting agreement he has 0 say. Tenants have rights too which might seem crazy....

Pretty sure that outside of the letting agreement he has 0 say. Tenants have rights too which might seem crazy....

Can you provide a link which confirms the right of a tenant to move in another adult rent free when their lease prohibits it?

The LL can refuse to allow assignment of a lease, but hell the tenant can move as many non paying ones in as he/she wants?,

• Advertisement

Can you provide a link which confirms the right of a tenant to move in another adult rent free when their lease prohibits it?

The LL can refuse to allow assignment of a lease, but hell the tenant can move as many non paying ones in as he/she wants?,

I cannot. But that's because you are reading only what you want to read...... HIS LEASE DOES NOT PROHIBIT IT....... he can fill it to capacity which in this case is 4.....common sense out the window with you?

Advertisement