Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing to give extra key

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I cannot. But that's because you are reading only what you want to read...... HIS LEASE DOES NOT PROHIBIT IT....... he can fill it to capacity which in this case is 4.....common sense out the window with you?

I thought it said the lease holders plus their dependents? There are two lease holders, and I'm pretty sure an adult who is not a cohabitant is not a dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Read the thread again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

What you could try is to bring a copy of your lease + copy of utility bill and photo id to a locksmiths and ask them to make a copy based on that.

Preferably get a female to go in, claim she lost her set and is "getting grief from himself cos apartment owners will charge €100" - might work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Serious goal post movement going on from the tenant here.

The landlord would of vetted the 2 tenants who signed the lease originally and issued a lease based these 2 individuals only living in the apartment. To come along and start demanding extra sets of keys & fobs for strangers is way out of order.

McGrath5 wrote: »

The landlord would of vetted the 2 tenants who signed the lease originally and issued a lease based these 2 individuals only living in the apartment. To come along and start demanding extra sets of keys & fobs for strangers is way out of order.

Can one not ask for an extra set? All the landlord needs to worry about is the rent being paid on time and the place being kept well. It is not up to him who the bill payer has over (so long as no subletting going on). Good God the amount of landlords in here.

Landlords own the property in name ONLY when there is a tenant in situ. If I want to put a jacuzzi in the kitchen I can. So long as when I leave the house is back to its original state when I leave.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Perhaps you could offer to pay for the additional keys, after all it’s you who needs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I cannot. But that's because you are reading only what you want to read...... HIS LEASE DOES NOT PROHIBIT IT....... he can fill it to capacity which in this case is 4.....common sense out the window with you?

Pot.. Kettle.

As long as the people are named on the lease. You will never accept other posts on this thread. The lease has legal weight, you know that, but that doesn't line up well with you. The Landlord is *always* at fault..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 KP81

Air bnb place I stayed at left the key inside a security box inside the post box in the lobby. They gave a code to acces box & door key. Not sure if you need fob to access lobby but similar solution could work for fob too.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Pot.. Kettle.

As long as the people are named on the lease. You will never accept other posts on this thread. The lease has legal weight, you know that, but that doesn't line up well with you. The Landlord is *always* at fault..

If his lease specifies it of course! But as his lease does NOT specify anything in particular and actually does say it can be filled to capacity ie 4 he can't? Why would his lease have 2 names specified and then the same document say he can have up to 4 people living there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

awec wrote: »
    ....Anyway, the OP doesn't want a spare set. They want their house guest to be given building access and a set of keys to their apartment for a number of months.

.... months and months....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Can one not ask for an extra set? All the landlord needs to worry about is the rent being paid on time and the place being kept well. It is not up to him who the bill payer has over (so long as no subletting going on). Good God the amount of landlords in here.

Landlords own the property in name ONLY when there is a tenant in situ. If I want to put a jacuzzi in the kitchen I can. So long as when I leave the house is back to its original state when I leave.....

You have no clue.. short answer is no you can't .. have you ever read a contract ?? If this is your attitude I hope and pray you never rent s place as I would feel sorry for your landlord.
    But yeah, go ahead and put a jacuzzi in !! Your attitude is one of bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

This is nothing to do with the landlord. I'd actually be pi$$ed off if I had a property and a tenant bothering over a completely nonsense issue like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

It's over 10 years since I rented; had three landlords at different times. I never heard of a landlord having to put all the occupants on the lease. The arrangements that I was familiar with would involve 1 person signing the lease and being on the hook legally for the tenancy, and if one tenant left then the tenants themselves would get a replacement tenant to move in. The landlord wouldn't necessarily know or care when this happened, as long as the place wasn't overcrowded. This idea that the landlord has to be satisfied with income of all the tenants sounds crazy to me and very unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It is not up to him who the bill payer has over (so long as no subletting going on).
    Main reason a tenant would want another key would be subletting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's over 10 years since I rented; had three landlords at different times. I never heard of a landlord having to put all the occupants on the lease. The arrangements that I was familiar with would involve 1 person signing the lease and being on the hook legally for the tenancy, and if one tenant left then the tenants themselves would get a replacement tenant to move in. The landlord wouldn't necessarily know or care when this happened, as long as the place wasn't overcrowded. This idea that the landlord has to be satisfied with income of all the tenants sounds crazy to me and very unnecessary.

10yrs ago it didn't take years and potentially losses of tens of thousands to evict people.

You also now have a rent assistant schemes that require the landlord to lend the tenant or the govt a month's rent in arrears. More if they miss rent or do damage as it's unrecoverable.

The landlord is also funding a tenant protection agency that fines landlords thousands but has no means to recover debts owed to a landlord.

You also have the worst housing crisis in the history of the state. Especially in social and private rental market.

There were problems 10yrs ago too. It wasn't a golden era of housing for tenants or landlords then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I had to get an extra key and fob from my property management company. Had to pay a deposit of €50 so that I would return the fob. We wanted an extra key so someone could check the apartment if we were on holidays, Landlord had no issue with this. It was a two bed apartment and we then had a total of three keys and fobs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

yer man! wrote: »
    I had to get an extra key and fob from my property management company. Had to pay a deposit of €50 so that I would return the fob. We wanted an extra key so someone could check the apartment if we were on holidays, Landlord had no issue with this. It was a two bed apartment and we then had a total of three keys and fobs.

Was the landlord a person you could call and tak to or a large IRES property management company like the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

yer man! wrote: »

Why couldn't you just leave one of your keys with you friend ? Did you really need two sets of keys whilst away on holidays?
    Going off on tangent I know , but I'm genuinely interested to know why you needed to spend money on a third key

Having friends and family over is entirely different than demanding extra sets of keys & fobs for somebody who is not named on the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

godtabh wrote: »
    wear and tear for 2 people not 3 people
    If one person moved out (leaving just 1 in the premises) would the landlord then drop the price due to less wear and tear?
    Having friends and family over is entirely different than demanding extra sets of keys & fobs for somebody who is not named on the lease.
    So the answer is to add their name to the lease, provide the keys and fob (whatever that costs), and issue resolved?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

OP, your letting agency sound like completely unreasonable arseholes.

endacl wrote: »
    Keyfobs and security keys are quite expensive to duplicate. Perhaps your landlord is just tight?

No, they're not. They cost bigger all. You can get any RFID fob copied in seconds. There's a place beside the Olympia who do for about a tenner a pop for the general public.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If one person moved out (leaving just 1 in the premises) would the landlord then drop the price due to less wear and tear?

No because you signed a lease for 2 people. Not one person or 3 people. If you change the status quo the landlord doesnt have to agree to it.

The OP has a lease with 2 named persons on it. He wants to change that. Not the landlords concern and doesnt have to agree to it.

So the answer is to add their name to the lease, provide the keys and fob (whatever that costs), and issue resolved?

Why would the landlord agree to this? They let the apartment with 2 tenants on the lease, presumably that was their prerogative at the time.
    It is totally unreasonable for the tenants to demand an extra name added to the lease after it has been signed, and everything that is entailed with it ie wear and tear etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The landlord doesnt have to agree to this and its clear they wont. Again though **** to the OP.

Why would the landlord agree to this? They let the apartment with 2 tenants on the lease, presumably that was their prerogative at the time.
    It is totally unreasonable for the tenants to demand an extra name added to the lease after it has been signed, and everything that is entailed with it ie wear and tear etc.
    Why is it unreasonable to have an extra person added to the lease?
    It's their prerogative not to agree, but what' the big deal with adding that person to the lease?

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Read the OP again folks, the landlord had no problem adding them to the lease but the new tenant was unable to prove they had a source of income and so could not be added to the lease in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Jaysci20 wrote: »
    This is nothing to do with the landlord. I'd actually be pi$$ed off if I had a property and a tenant bothering over a completely nonsense issue like this.

My tenant rang one day to know would it be ok to give away the spare curtains for the house, her brother moved into a flat and was looking for some. Got a bit miffed when I said no.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If his lease specifies it of course! But as his lease does NOT specify anything in particular and actually does say it can be filled to capacity ie 4 he can't? Why would his lease have 2 names specified and then the same document say he can have up to 4 people living there?
    His lease does not say that at all.

awec wrote: »
    Read the OP again folks, the landlord had no problem adding them to the lease but the new tenant was unable to prove they had a source of income and so could not be added to the lease in the end.
    I saw that earlier, but genuine question, could the landlord not waive that?
    i.e. in this case it's a family member, a student with upcoming exams, ..... maybe landlord can call over once a month to ensure it's all ok etc.....
    A comprise agreement between them.
    Again, no onus on the landlord, but given the lease is 'Should not exceed the sleeping capacity of the apartment' and they are adding one; seems not to be that big a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

A good landlord won't entertain this nonsense, sorry op. If it were me I would replace both keys with two new keys.

The sister needs to adapt her lifestyle to suit you. I didn't have a difficulty with spending every day in college in class or study area or library from 8am to 6pm every day.

If it's for a very short time period she can like it or lump it.

Advertisement