Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing to give extra key

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I saw that earlier, but genuine question, could the landlord not waive that?
    i.e. in this case it's a family member, a student with upcoming exams, ..... maybe landlord can call over once a month to ensure it's all ok etc.....
    A comprise agreement between them.
    Again, no onus on the landlord, but given the lease is 'Should not exceed the sleeping capacity of the apartment' and they are adding one; seems not to be that big a deal.

Waive the requirement to show you can pay the rent, not much chance of that. The OP just needs to accept they wont get another key and deal with it, its not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

hawkelady wrote: »
    Why couldn't you just leave one of your keys with you friend ? Did you really need two sets of keys whilst away on holidays?
    Going off on tangent I know , but I'm genuinely interested to know why you needed to spend money on a third key

Other housemate was away over Christmas, so was I, apartment empty for 2-3 weeks. Would both be arriving back late at night so needed keys to get back into the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

kceire wrote: »
    Was the landlord a person you could call and tak to or a large IRES property management company like the OP?

Large property company that owned half the street in the middle of the city. Building is designated a manager who you email personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Waive the requirement to show you can pay the rent, not much chance of that. The OP just needs to accept they wont get another key and deal with it, its not the end of the world.
    It's hardly the end of the World on the landlords side either.
    Ask for rent up front if that's an issue.
    OP may just work out the key situation and there'll be 3 people there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

It's hardly the end of the World on the landlords side either.
    Ask for rent up front if that's an issue.
    OP may just work out the key situation and there'll be 3 people there anyway.

I don't see why any LL would want to put someone on the lease who cannot pay rent or damages, how would they pursue someone that has no money?

OP needs to just sort out the 2 keys amongst the 3 of them like an adult.

I don't see why any LL would want to put someone on the lease who cannot pay rent or damages, how would they pursue someone that has no money?
    Payment in advance? A binding agreement that the other are responsible for any damage (which they probably are anyway)? I don't know, just co-operation between the two parties.
    OP needs to just sort out the 2 keys amongst the 3 of them like an adult.
    They explained the difficulties. But if they do work it out, then they'll have the extra person there anyway.

Payment in advance? A binding agreement that the other are responsible for any damage (which they probably are anyway)? I don't know, just co-operation between the two parties.

Sounds like a lot of hassle for the LL to arrange a new lease so someone that isn't paying rent can get a key. Then they have someone on the lease that they cannot persue if anything happens as they have no money. Whats in it for the LL here?
    They explained the difficulties. But if they do work it out, then they'll have the extra person there anyway.

What difficulties? The guest can only access the house during set times. Not really that hard to work around tbh.

Sounds like a lot of hassle for the LL to arrange a new lease so someone that isn't paying rent can get a key. Then they have someone on the lease that they cannot persue if anything happens as they have no money. Whats in it for the LL here?
    They could just give the key without the other hassle and take the advance payment? It's up to them. Courtesy, a favour, co-operations with tenants.... I'm not saying the landlord has to, it's up to them. If the person is going to be staying there (should they work out using the 2 keys), then better that landlord meets them, knows them, and has some knowledge if it happens anyway.
    What difficulties?
    The ones described by the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

This thread is hilarious, a bit of flexibility goes a long way.. the rent is getting paid...
    OP short of saying you lost a set of keys as mentioned earlier get a lock box and try find somewhere discreet to install it

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/master-lock-8-key-combination-key-safe.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvV7YfW_UFmtRVud50QX_zJiBGX5LR1QHg9bAHILD_mg87ZaRuG5MQEaAnGzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Advertisement

Doop wrote: »
    .....a bit of flexibility goes a long way..

This is exactly the sort of flexibility that will be lost when dealing with the large-scale landlords and you're dealing with someone in a call centre that is not allowed to go off-script.

Saying you lost the key may result in the locks being changed and you being given two new keys. If it happens again, you might be charged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I think it would be easier to get an extra key cut for the postbox (assuming it’s in the common area that is) & to leave the apartment key in the postbox. Then either find out the code or get access to a fob for the main entrance door.

Worst case scenario there would be the guest would have to wait for a resident to be going in, getting another resident to buzz them in or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I think it would be easier to get an extra key cut for the postbox (assuming it’s in the common area that is) & to leave the apartment key in the postbox. Then either find out the code or get access to a fob for the main entrance door.

Worst case scenario there would be the guest would have to wait for a resident to be going in, getting another resident to buzz them in or whatever

Most post boxes are not secure enough for this purpose. This solution is not a million miles away from just hiding the key somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

_Brian wrote: »
    My tenant rang one day to know would it be ok to give away the spare curtains for the house, her brother moved into a flat and was looking for some. Got a bit miffed when I said no.

At least they asked!

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is exactly the sort of flexibility that will be lost when dealing with the large-scale landlords and you're dealing with someone in a call centre that is not allowed to go off-script.

Saying you lost the key may result in the locks being changed and you being given two new keys. If it happens again, you might be charged for it.
    I'd be pretty surprised if small landlords were willing to hand out keys to their properties to random people who move in.

I would expect the majority of landlords to have a problem with this.

awec wrote: »
    I'd be pretty surprised if small landlords were willing to hand out keys to their properties to random people who move in.

How is this a random person?
    It's a family member of a person already staying there.

How is this a random person?
    It's a family member of a person already staying there.
    To the landlord it is a random person. They don't know anything about them, they don't know if they can even pay rent or cover costs if they arise.

To the landlord it is a random person. They don't know anything about them, they don't know if they can even pay rent or cover costs if they arise.
    But they aren't random.
    The people staying there know the person, a family member, who they've informed the landlord about.
    The people staying there could be accountable for that person, ask for advance payment, the landlord could meet them............

Again, up to the landlord. But it's not exactly a troublesome situation with a truly random person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

The tenant is responsible to pay the rent as they always have been, I dont see how a temporary house guest changes this.

This sort of BS is why long term renting is not feasible in this country. When I have guests staying over in my rented apartment I take full responsibility for them, its my home I pay the rent, I look after the place (and have it in better condition than when I received it). We're all adults here!! load of nonsense
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nannyism

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The tenant is responsible to pay the rent as they always have been, I dont see how a temporary house guest changes this.

This sort of BS is why long term renting is not feasible in this country. When I have guests staying over in my rented apartment I take full responsibility for them, its my home I pay the rent, I look after the place (and have it in better condition than when I received it). We're all adults here!! load of nonsense

Doesn't sound temporary to me.

If you flip this on its head an look at all the threads here about people moving boyfriends or girlfriends the remaining house mates expect a redistribution of the rent.

Why is it unreasonable for a landlord to expect the same?

Also I just checked by my landlord ensure specifies how many people can live i my apartment. It notes the occupancy is 2 (a married couple) in list T&Cs that limit the length of house guests can stay and only covers who is on the lease.

I assume having more people in the house carries a higher insurance risk?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Doesn't sound temporary to me.
    Sourcream wrote: »
    Her sister is moving in with us for a few months for a quiet place during her exams in college.
    Seems temporary.
    Maybe that would change. But better for the landlord to be involved than not I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

godtabh wrote: »
    If you flip this on its head an look at all the threads here about people moving boyfriends or girlfriends the remaining house mates expect a redistribution of the rent.

Why is it unreasonable for a landlord to expect the same?

Because it's apples and oranges, in a house share all resources are split evenly, when someone starts taking the pi$$ and moving in a boyfriend / girlfriend, it has a direct, detrimental effect on everyone else in the house.

As a landlord, you are not inconvenienced in anyway, you may have to deal with more wear and tear but even that is not a given, some people are very rough, other take more care of their surroundings. You will never come home to the front door being left open by some randomer or your food being eaten by someone who contributes nothing to your household.

If my tenants explained the situation as in the OP, I'd have no issue with handing over a spare on the proviso that it be returned once the situation reverted to normal. They're not exactly randomers, once the tenant(s) can vouch for them.

The LL isn't stopping the guest staying over at all, they just are not giving them a key.

There is a huge difference between a guest staying over and an extra person moving in to live there for months on end.

There is a huge difference between a guest staying over and expecting that your guest be given unfettered access to the building and a key to a particular property.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Diemos wrote: »
    Because it's apples and oranges, in a house share all resources are split evenly, when someone starts taking the pi$$ and moving in a boyfriend / girlfriend, it has a direct, detrimental effect on everyone else in the house.

As a landlord, you are not inconvenienced in anyway, you may have to deal with more wear and tear but even that is not a given, some people are very rough, other take more care of their surroundings. You will never come home to the front door being left open by some randomer or your food being eaten by someone who contributes nothing to your household.

How would the landlord determine if this person is ‘very rough’ or would take care of their asset? They wouldn’t if hey haven’t vetted them. The landlord is prepared to add them to the lease subject to their T&Cs which the guest doesn’t meeet. Not the landlords problem.

Also you ignore my insurance point.

Advertisement