Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English football winter break 'agreed in principle' for 2020

• 18-04-2018 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭

Reported by Sky Sports today.
    Sky Sports News understands the majority of planned changes are agreed in principle - with the first break pencilled in for January and February in 2020.

I think it's about time, really. It'll be missed during the off period, obviously, but the proposed here would still include Christmas football, which still gives the PL a unique appeal.

Interested to see if this goes ahead.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11336411/english-football-winter-break-agreed-in-principle-for-2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

So does that mean that rounds 3, 4 and the QFs of the FA cup has replays, 5 doesnt?

I do hope its agreed although for the break, its likely only to be a few days off as some teams will play one week and be off the other and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

About time, the amount of oh but it's tradition bullcrap cited as a reason not to change things is laughable - there was always going to still be a full Chrimbo of football and a third round of FA Cup games. It was always about what happens after the first weekend of January, not before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I read it as replays were all scrapped and that round 5 was played midweek.

Wouldn't make much sense otherwise as the round 3 replay will mess up any winter break, nevermind what happens if some round 3 games are postponed due to bad weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think they should scrap FA cup replays, like the league cup, get it done on the night and move on.

While theyre at it, scrap the FA cup semi finals from Wembley too.

The League Cup should be done by Christmas - I think it ought to be rebranded as the Autumn Cup - one match per round starting in late August for the Football League and PL sides. The minnows can use it as part of the pre-season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'm happy. It hurts the product more than it helps. The hurr durr argument always say they get paid enough they should be able to do it. The body can only take so much, the quality of the Premier League falls of a cliff int he final third, it hurts the national team and it hurts the teams competing in Europe, and the overall quality of the games. I'm glad they finally saw sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think they should scrap FA cup replays, like the league cup, get it done on the night and move on.

FA Cup replays are great for lower league clubs though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

GavRedKing wrote: »

Replays can be a huge earner for lower league clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

While they can be a huge earner, it will give them more incentive to play for a win instead of a draw. And will probably make for better viewing

FA Cup replays are great for lower league clubs though.

There are ways around this - if the minnow is drawn at home, they can be given a choice - play at home and make the most of the support and "dodgy pitch" or request the game be switched to the bigger sides stadium and take the money. OR all the TV money goes to the smaller side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yeah, screw ANY sort of tradition. So long as teams who already have all the advantages and finances are happy.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I really can't see this bringing about the improvements they think it will. Lack of a winter break always seemed an easy excuse for England's underperformance at tournaments, ignoring how foreign PL seemed less likely to suffer from the same affliction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There are ways around this - if the minnow is drawn at home, they can be given a choice - play at home and make the most of the support and "dodgy pitch" or request the game be switched to the bigger sides stadium and take the money. OR all the TV money goes to the smaller side.

Define a minnow? Define the smaller side?

Sure, its easy to answer that question when its United drawn against Accrington Stanley but what about all those other teams drawn against each other? Millwall v Barnsley, who is the smaller team and gets to choose? Middlesborough v Sunderland was one of this years 3rd round draws and god help you trying to claim one is smaller than the other there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Couple of good weeks gathering spuds and they would be eager to play every day of the week in January. Getting more like ballet dancing every year.

Define a minnow? Define the smaller side?

Sure, its easy to answer that question when its United drawn against Accrington Stanley but what about all those other teams drawn against each other? Millwall v Barnsley, who is the smaller team and gets to choose? Middlesborough v Sunderland was one of this years 3rd round draws and god help you trying to claim one is smaller than the other there...

Yeah well there would clearly need to be a multiplier used based on revenues, after all even in the PL look at Man Utd and Bournemouth, one's stadium capacity is about 15% of the other and that is true across the professional game.

As for those who are much of a muchness, the home side is the home side. No need to make a swap or open the tie to a swap option or move the TV money to one club over the other.

Can't wait til the year when there's a couple of weeks of snow in late February/March.

Advertisement