Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After school activities quick answer needed!!!

Options
  • 18-04-2018 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello ,
    I need to know if it is legal to keep a student after school (2 hours) for work.
    It is not on timetable etc etc ,is it legal for a teacher to do so?
    thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It depends on the work.

Cleaning the teacher's car? No
    Working on your project for exam? Yes, if parents have been informed in advance.
    Extra classes? Yes, if parents have been informed in advance.
    Discipline issues, detention? Yes, if parents have been informed in advance.

You can't be told at 10am today that you have to stay an extra two hours today.

What were you kept in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 krusty0921

I didnt go as dads car broke down so he had to take the other car ,it was writing something up,i had to go home early or id have no way to get home.... now i found out people that were sick at home or didnt go are going to be "punished" UGH

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get a letter explaining why you had to go home early, you will be fine.

It's not fair to punish the people who were sick, but the ones who just didn't bother their barneys to show up, when the teacher is giving extra unpaid time to help them get stuff ready for exam, I'd hammer them.

I hope your teacher sticks strictly to the deadlines (presume it's CSPE/Science/Religion? April 27th?) and does not accept any late stuff from people who did not bother to show up when given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 krusty0921

Yes its science writeup,im basically done anyway, but teacher hates me and basically everyone,so she propably wont give a damn about a letter

She doesn't hate you. She's probably pissed off that she gave up her free time to help unpaid and some people didn't bother to show up.

You were there and you got yours done, you're way down the list of people to get in trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement