Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email not working on phone, @eircom.net address - webmail disabled

Options
  • 18-04-2018 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

My dad has an old @eircom.net address which he has, up until recently, been able to access on both his phone and on Eir's webmail interface.

Eir's webmail interface has been shut down:

http://webmailclassic.eircom.net/cgi-bin/checkmail.cgi

"For security reasons, access to eircom net webmail is not available from your present location. Subscription customers may however access their mail using a POP mail client using their email username and password and pop mail server setting 'mail1.eircom.net'.""

The problem is that having entered his username, password, and that pop server address into his iPhone, he only sees emails received up to last August, 11/08/2017 to be precise. He reckons that this is because the mailbox is full, but the only way he can clear it (as far as he knows) is through the webmail server - apparently deleting emails on an iPhone only deletes the local copy and not the server copy?

I don't use any POP3 mail on my iPhone or even the Mail app itself, so I don't know myself how any of this really works - but is there any way he can access and update his inbox, now that the webmail interface has been shut down and his phone apparently can't access anything subsequent to August 2017?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

My dad has an old @eircom.net address which he has, up until recently, been able to access on both his phone and on Eir's webmail interface.

Eir's webmail interface has been shut down:

http://webmailclassic.eircom.net/cgi-bin/checkmail.cgi

"For security reasons, access to eircom net webmail is not available from your present location. Subscription customers may however access their mail using a POP mail client using their email username and password and pop mail server setting 'mail1.eircom.net'.""

The problem is that having entered his username, password, and that pop server address into his iPhone, he only sees emails received up to last August, 11/08/2017 to be precise. He reckons that this is because the mailbox is full, but the only way he can clear it (as far as he knows) is through the webmail server - apparently deleting emails on an iPhone only deletes the local copy and not the server copy?

I don't use any POP3 mail on my iPhone or even the Mail app itself, so I don't know myself how any of this really works - but is there any way he can access and update his inbox, now that the webmail interface has been shut down and his phone apparently can't access anything subsequent to August 2017?
    Hi hatrickpatrick ,

Thank you for contacting us here.

Please see all information availble in regards to webmail on the following link https://www.eir.ie/support/webmail/issues-sending-eir-webmail/.

Alternatively, you can contact our technical team on 1890260260 to have this looked into.

Thanks

Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP, this is most likely because your Dad is no longer an Eir customer.

If you go somewhere there is an Eir connection then I'm fairly sure it will work.

Its Eir penny pinching and getting all upset that they are still hosting accounts for people that are no longer customers. They never had a process for removing accounts when customers left so now they are just blocking access from non Eir connections.

Best bet is to set up a new email address and stop using the Eircom one.

Advertisement